cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

European Hoosier Cabinet?

I have had no luck at all trying to find out what this piece is? Or whereit came from? Much less what it's worth? It's Beautiful, no doubt. But I bought it to resell it. But without a little knowledge, I can't or don't want to list it. Yet. It has some writing in pencil on the back of the bottom piece. It also has the remnants of old tape or something running across the backs of both pieces..Looks like it's a port name? There are many pictures and I tried to post the relevant ones to what I want to know, but I may have missed something. Ask if you need more photos. I find a few vague remarks about European Hoosier cabinets on the web, but nothing that leads me to believe they ever made such a thing. I appreciate your time. And any help you can give.

IMG_1560.JPGIMG_1573.JPGIMG_1576.JPGIMG_1591.JPG 

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1621.JPGIMG_1619.JPG

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

here is a mark on the locks on the inside of the cabinet. From what I can gather it's like a trade mark. IMG_1552.JPG

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Your piece is clearing marked on the back with the retailer's name and address.  It was purchased in Giessen, Germany.  Yours is a post-war dining room cabinet in a Biedermeier-influenced design.  As the U.S. Army had a base in Giessen (where Elvis Presley served, by way,) it was very possibly brought back by a G.I.   The word on the tape appears to be "transport."

Debora

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The manufacturer is LIEBOLD.

Debora

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

So it's a china cabinet? Just looking for the right way to list it. You have already helped a Great deal. Would you know the approx. value by chance?
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

OP,

Your wonderful European shrunk was made to be used in the kitchen, but can of course be used as a china cabinet.

My son was stationed is Germany in the mid 1980's, and loves everything German.Smiley Happy

When he left there to return Stateside, he brought with him a huge kitchen cupboard, refered to as a Shrunk.

It is very similar to your piece but larger, and was used primarily in the kitchen area.

His cupboard has the same built-in area housing the glass condiment holders.

Here is a close-up of the glass condiment holders used in those German 'Hoosier' cabinets..

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Mine look exactly like that! They are marked Gerrix. I did a little reading on Shrunks. Some if not most of them are Huge but very nice. I guess I didn't realize how common it is for Military personnel to bring things back home with them.Thanks for the info. I'll try running it as a European Hoosier and see what happens. The wost that can happen is I get stuck with it. And that would not be a bad thing. I could make room for it. Thanks to you all.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

here is a close up of mine. Some of them have tape on the handles with German writing.

IMG_1580.JPG.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

What style would this be called? Art Deco? Waterfall? Mind is drawing a blank. Still

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

And the wood type?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I researched Biedermeier influenced design suggested by another member,  read up on it, and use it in your  description. Also if you research the wood used in Germany, you should come up with something. This looks like Veneer. Google is wonderful! Good luck.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thanks to all of you.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I have one like this more ornate but missing the glass and the measuring glass cups. I thought from a picture I found that was a somekind of metal basket but is 7 glass holders. One I have in very good condition is or was for sale on ebay for 3250. So very nice. We got ours at auction for 20 so.... anything we sell it for will be profit. I tried posting pictures of mine but can't find it. From what I read most hoosier cabinets were maker marks are stamped on the latches Liebold is ONLY thing found on the whole cabinet. But you have added info and thank you for that. If you reply maybe I can send you my photos. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Would love to buy your glass cups. I cant find them anywhere

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I hope all realize that this discussion goes back to 2015...

this style was often called "Gelsenkirchener Barock" in the Ruhr region by the working class - as a joke of course - because it was the first stuff they could afford after the war. typical kitchen buffet. the glass drawers were for sugar, rice, flour, sago etc.. you sometimes find them online or on fleamarkets etc..

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/poncet-4-kleine-glasschuetten-glasschubladen-kueche/2212...

https://www.google.ch/search?q=glassch%C3%BCtten+k%C3%BCche&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiXgtSe6IH9AhWeXKQEHa...

Message 15 of 15
latest reply