cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what would these be classified as?...

Besides potentially offensive, they are vintage screw backs  , from a large lot of vetted antique/vintage jewelry, there is zero doubt these are not contemporary... The necklaces are very ornate, my camera can't pick up all of the stones, very detailed and well made, but sadly unmarked which has limited my search... so maker? and an appropriate description?...Regards V76IMG_4664.JPGIMG_4660.JPG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I tried looking up a few things on google with the first few words that came to mind and found only similar items. These might be a little hard to describe....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes, a little hard to describe might be an understatement....I might take them and have the stones tested, part of an estate, I have only gotten through about 10%, all pieces have proved to be valuable in one way or another, precious metals a-plenty and some real brooch stunners..but if these are interpreted in the manner I initially interpreted them, do I draw a line? Thank you for taking the time to respond, V76

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

They are neat at any rate. Congrats on the score
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I am in no stretch of the imagination an expert but could they be considered Blackamoor?
I love them BTW
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Yes blackamoor is what I remember that style being called, the stones are rhinestones.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I would be careful about displaying anything in a "cartoon image of a race this day and time..

Sensitive times.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

My impression is that the figures in blackamoor jewellery are much more dignified than in this example.  They are portrayed as 'exotic', but not particularly cartoonish. 

The simian aspect of these earrings makes them rather the opposite of the blackamoor tradition, which embodies a rather more sophisticated and subtle form of racism.

Lea
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Racist.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I am by no means racist.We all are entitled to our own views and opinions, and as long as EBAY standards permit, items like this example will sell.  Just a simple fact. You have no idea what race I am, and I will list asap. I have sold" Americana " in a different retail setting before this and will do so again. For the rest of the posters that came with useful information... Thank You very much! I had no idea there was such a diverse offering of items, like mine, and not like mine, I never would have come up with Blackmoore,  I can see a resemblance to it, but not being 100% certain, I will list as Americana as it includes a wide range of items, Thanks again! Regards V76

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

This looks more like a Ubangi interpretation... in the style of Rebajes.  

IMHO the previous poster was not implying that you were a racist, rather classifying the jewelry as racist.  

cheers!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I appreciate your reply, and will research your suggestions, I appreciate anyone that takes the time to reply, everyone included,  Regards V76

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for the lead, although it did not solve this question, it did however answer a question I had about a set of copper earrings, and a brooch. Never would I have dug deep enough to give them a name, put them aside as a copper lot to list in Dec, Thank You. Regards V76

Message 13 of 13
latest reply