cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very unusual piece I need help dating/finding origin

Hello!

Hopefully someone can help me date or find the origin of this piece. I've tried posting this in other ares of Ebay and on other websites with absolutely no luck. 

It's a very heavy and large sterling frame pendant. It has no markings but tested positive for sterling silver (fyi - I did not do that horrible scratch test on the back!)  If it was created for a photo it would be one of a very odd shape due to the narrowness and height of the frame. 

The person I bought it from claimed it was Japanese - but, I honestly don't think that's correct. If anything - it looks like it could be Mongolian or possibly Mayan (in my opinion).

Also take not that the eyes appear to be sratched out or sewen shut. Could this be some form of mourning jewelry? 

Ever seen anything like this before? Even if your not sure I'd love to hear your opinions. 

Thanks!!

Since I can't seem to post multiple pictures you can see more pictures I uploaded to my pinterest:

www.pinterest.com/AnnetteReneArt/3/

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Here is the whole piece...

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

In my opinion, I believe the original seller was correct. It looks more oriental because of the mustaches on the faces. It is interesting that the clasp at the top is turned in the wrong direction so that you need to add another ring in order to wear as a pendant. That give me the impression that it was used for something other than a pendant.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Does kinda look like Asian warriors The center looks like it held a stone I've tried looking it up and haven't found anything similar
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I don't see mustaches and nose rings don't look very Asian

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I posted on a framers form and someone suggested that it could be a frame made to hang on a wall. I don't undetstand why it would only hold a picture so thin (not to mention a thin picture would be hard to even hold in there) -- so the suggestion that it could be made for a stone is plausable! 

The original seller claimed it to be specifcally Japanese. I think it could possibly be from Asia but it's definitely not Japanese or Chinese. I've studied Japanese art and have seen tons of it here in China (where I live) so I am sure it is not Japanese.

Also, there are some Asian cultures, aside from India, that have nose rings. Mostly south Asia, though!

It's still a mystery to me! I wish I had something that I could compare it to but I've spent hours and hours online looking for anything similar to no avail. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply