cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Please With Dating Old Looking Brooch/Pendant and any other Info.

Hello,

I am looking for help please with this sterling brooch/pendant.  It has clear stones and red stones, (I am assuming Rhinestones?).  It is marked, "Sterling" on the back.  Everything is prong set. 

Anyone have any ideas as to age or materials or anything else you can think of?  How would you clean a piece like this?

Thank you so much for your time and for any help!

Julie2015-04-15 001.JPG2015-04-15 008.JPG2015-04-15 006.JPG2015-04-15 010.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Julie, the stones and pin back tells the age of this very nice pin. The side view of the pin you posted shows the cut of the stone the top flat place of the stone is small (done on real gems at that time) over time up to this date gradually, the stones are flatter. The pin protudes the catch, so just a guess its deco era. All the cleaners out there will either leave a residue,destroy the stones or mess up the metal by dulling it. So you may or may not like my suggestion of using a brillo pad to shine up areas that you can get to. Just dampen a corner (in sink with water running) and lightly go over the star burst areas. Test the back first and you will learn how much pressure to use. The only way you can hurt the pin surface is to scrub it like a burnt pot. LOL.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

(done on real gems as well at that time) to clarify.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hi,

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge (which is impressive!).  

Would you take it to a jeweler to find out what the stones are, or, would you just go with it as is?

I surely appreciate you help and advice.

Julie

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Its glass,all the costume jewelry was made to look like the real thing including the stones. The stones in your pin are set down deep so as to not show the mirror backing of the stone. Where as real stones of that time era had open backs for the stones to breath and show the natural beauty.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Once again, thank you so very much!  Your help has been invaluable!!

Have a great weekend!

Julie

Message 6 of 6
latest reply