cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Necklace supposedly belonged to my Mother's Grandmother

pradamatic
Adventurer

My Mom can't find any gold marks on it and all I could say to help her was that I thought the stones look like aquamarine.  I told her the box didn't seem to go with the necklace but I could be wrong.  The box is leather on the outside and says O.C.Tanner on the inside.  I asked her to take pictures of the back and I don't see any marks either.  

Can anyone tell me anything about this necklace?  My Mom would be thrilled to learn anything about it!

11025993_10206031527246916_4399907184670705911_n.jpg

IMG_4236.JPG

IMG_4232.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, first of all "Nice piece of jewelry! Checking the stones put a big one against your face (cheeck or chin) if it is ice cold for a second or two it is real stones if the stone is cool and warms up quickly its glass. Smell it! If  the chain has a sulfer or chemical air about it, then it is mixed metals. Do you have a magnet? Even the one on a fridge will do. Run the magnet across the chain if the chain is picked up by the magnet then the necklace metal is mixed metals. (costume grade).That doesnt count for the clasp if the magnet picks it up alone. All the clasps are mixed metels now because gold and silver clasps are so soft and break easily.

It looks Victorian and most of those pieces werent metal marked, however the clasp may have a teeny tiny mark. If everything is real (Gems-Gold) I expect you will be retiring soon!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hey, I read similar tips to her from google somewhere and had her do the magnet test(passed).  I'll forward your reply to her and I'm sure it will make her very happy/excited!  I told her at the VERY LEAST she has a beautiful piece of costume jewelry which would still have a value.  The lack of detail in the filagree and lack of a gold mark made me thing it was more modern, but I'm certainly no expert!  She's planning to take it to a jeweler to have it looked at.  Victorian would make sense with it supposed to have belonged to my great grandmother.  It just looked so new to me! Then again, rumor is it was worn less than a handful of times.  This dating stuff is excruciating!  You should see my suitcase of costume jewelry!  Anyway, I'll forward your message to her and she'll surely enjoy it! Thanks again!

P.S.  Pics of my costume jewelry just because..  I only found this suitcase a week ago cleaning out my Aunt's garage.

Ehh I'll upload what I took pics of to imgur..  Here -->  http://imgur.com/a/Whd7j

For a minute I thought I'd sell everything piece by piece, started taking pics, then I realized It would take forever and now I just look at it all and handle everything for no reason..

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Gorgeous piece! Yes is it Victorian or at minimum, Edwardian. I have two pendants that are very similar - not the entire necklace just the centerpiece pendant part which was saved when the necklace broke. One blue and one red. They are possibly made New York City.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

For searching purposes it could be described as a Victorian lavalier swag necklace. It's very pretty and collectible even as costume jewelry.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply