cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a Victorian JET brooch? Marcasite?

Hello again! I have some wonderful old jewelry lately, so come here for H E L P! 🙂 I belive this is a genuine JET Victorian Brooch. The long pin bar and simple c clasp tell me it's possibly 1800's? Is this a Mourning Pin? And are those marcasite beads? It almost looks like buttons made into a brooch? And there is repair on the back. Very lightweight piece. What is French Jet, by the way? And is this worth listing? So confusing! 🙂
Jet Brooch 007.JPGJet Brooch 002 Boards.jpg

Curious Minds want to Know
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It  looks like it could be both. french jet is usually a bit more shiney. french jet is black glass, jet is obsidian..i am not 100% on this, butalmost!! hopw thi was helpful.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Not sure where people get their strange information........... jet is NOT obsidian,it is lignite coal from fossil plants.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Ok, now I'm still confused 🙂 So we think it's French Jet? 🙂 All I really want to know now-is it Victorian? Can you date it for me? 🙂 And the discs are shinier than they look in the photos. And IS that marcasite? They look like iron to me, for some reason? Any guesses as to the metal. Brass? Sorry for more questions! Enjoy your weekend!
Jet Brooch 003 Boards.jpg

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Google "Victorian steel jewelry"

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

One more suggestion, your brooch could be black onyx, usually real  jet is not glossy, is yours, I couldn't tell; and the beads do look like cut steel, and not marcasite.  If you Google both, you'll have a better idea of what you have.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Great Tips! Many thanks!!! 🙂

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Polished faceted steel. Check it out on line . Charm
Charm Affair or Charm
Message 8 of 8
latest reply