cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Antique Lizard Rhinestone Pin. Edwardian? Deco? 1900's?

Ok, had to share this wonderful exotic lizard pin. I believe it dates from the 1900's based on research about the "tube hinge" pinback? Am I right? 🙂 The rhinestones have a slightly blue tinge. Could they be another gem? White Shapphire? 
And it seems to have some marvelous Tribal designs, as if it were African or Egyptian? The metal seems to test for 10kt gold. I do have a jeweler I'd like to show it to, but couldn't resist hearing what the "experts" here had to say! 🙂 It's a small pin; 2 3/4" x 1/2" Thank you again!!
1900s Lizard Pin Boards 001.jpg1900s Lizard Pin Boards 002.jpg1900s Lizard Pin Boards 003.jpg1900s Lizard Pin Boards 004.jpg

Curious Minds want to Know
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Cute brooch! The other end of the pin has a locking C clasp, correct? That would make it more in the 20's, I believe.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Also of note, the pin extends past the findings, good feature.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hi cms and thanks for chiming in! I just love this brooch too, but do plan to list it, once I'm sure of what era it is, and the metal, etc. Yes, there is an early safety clasp that opens "up", which also makes me think it is antique. Doesn't the "tube hinge" date it to the early 1900's? Thanks for your info!!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

With the messy lead solder "repair" on the pin stem,it may not be original to the piece to start with.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Tradersuz-
From what I know, the Safety catch was invented in the 20's, even with the tube hinge. Per Hollyblue83, you may be back at square one. It could be a repair to the original findings as well. The blue hue to the stones is worth having your jeweler take a look anyway. Please post what you find out!
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks both of you! I too, was wondering about the messy solder, darn it! But let's say it's "Deco" for sure? Right?
And am seeing my jeweler tomorrow, hopefully. Stay tuned! 🙂 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Sorry for the delay; but just got back from the jeweler. Unfortunately, the stones appear to be "glass". But he said the lizard looks like gold.

He also thought it might be 1900's...but here we go again! Think I should just call it "Deco" and be done with it! 🙂 Thanks again for your help!!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply