cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with 1800's Cameo Panel Bracelet. Victorian? Stamped 806?

Hello again! I tried this board in the past, but sadly, no one replied! Thought I'd try again with this piece. It belongs to a friend who said it was her grandmother's from the 1840's? I hope to have more pics later, but for now, hope these will do. 🙂 The cameos are shell, but my question is about the quality? They aren't as detailed as most antique cameos. Is this a problem if I re-sell? And the clasp is stamped 806. Doesn't show in these pics, but I have seen it clearly. She was told that is a "date stamp", but I can find no info on this, other than it MIGHT be Italian? Also the metal must be silver/vermeil? Is this a "book chain" link?
I thank you for any help or information! 🙂
Cameo Bracelet.jpgCameo Bracelet 002.jpg

Curious Minds want to Know
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Hi, is it possible your friend was wrong about the date of the bracelet? Reason for asking is the Cameos are machined (stamped) thats why they all look the same. The 806 should be 800 a silver number, maybe the 6 was a messed up 0. This style came from Italy as early as the Deco era and made for several years. I believe they were made for the Tourist at a resonable price "Hey! look what I found in Italy!

Pricing is tricky, well made in perfect shape (from what is shown) Nice bracelets that size are getting scarce. The over all bracelet is seen not the faces on the Cameos.Had to knock some cobwebs out of the grey mass to remember all that!! LOL

Someone else may have a closer time line then I or more info for you.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

this is more like 1940's, not 1840's. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Hello and thanks so much for your replies! My friend feels CERTAIN of the date, as it belonged to her great granmother, who was married in 1840's - 1850's and supposedly, this was a wedding gift. Does it makes sense what her jeweler told her about the "European Silver, Gold Leaf" material? And these aren't hand-carved, right? She is asking $125 for it, and haven't decided to purchase it. It's pretty lovely, and haven't seen many like it....is it worth it, do you think?
Appreciate your Input!! Do have more photos she sent. imagejpeg_2.jpgimagejpeg_1.jpgimagejpeg_3.jpg

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hello again. The bracelet would be worth 125.00 or more "if" it was sterling and the Cameos were hand carved. It is considered a costume piece in some circles so the value of the bracelet will be a lot less. In this economy a value is worth what someone is willing to pay for a piece of jewelry and to heck with all those price guides because they were written in another time line. Since the computor, nothing is so rare any longer and you have to keep that in mind when pricing jewelry. The panels look filagree to me (silver work). If you are buying for resell you may have problems.Not sure about the expert jewelers assessment of the piece it sounded gobbly **bleep**. LOL Best thing to do is scroll thru all the Cameo bracelets on ebay, be sure to look at completed it will give you an idea of what you can price it for. Stickin to my guns on the time line, Im old "thats what I do! .

Spoiler
Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your helpful info; "olds". Even though I'm getting more confused about whether to purchase it or not 🙂 Yes, it was to re-sell. But do YOU agree/disagree that is is from the 1850's, as my friend swears to? And I have done so much research, my  head is spinning! So what do you think the "806" refers to? I'd say silver content, and a misstamp, as has been suggested.
I couldn't find any info on "date stamps" except for ONE website that did say Italian jewelry may have used it. On we go! Thanks!!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

My mother had a bracelet almost exactly like this one. She bought it in Italy in the late 1940's and hers is marked 800 also. I think the price is high but it is unusual so if you LOVE it you won't ever find it again!
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

That's helpful info, Phoebe! But I'm not sure how to tell my friend she must be wrong, as she is positive it's from the 1800's??! Not sure what to do. But I do want to sell it, if I can get her down from $125. And that hallmark certainly looks like 806, though it must be a mistake and supposed to be 800, as yours. Thanks!!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

There are a few of the bracelets on-line ranging in price fro 70 - 398.00. You can find them if you go to Google and search, filigree cameo bracelet, then click images to see the photos. There are some as early as 1920. good luck.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Will give it a try Phoebe! Thanks so much for your help!!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The date is in the 20th century, your first clue should always be to look at the hair style, the short hair didn't come into fashion until the 1920's with the bob.   The cameo's hair and clothing styles will always help you date it becuase the carver matched the styles of the period the carving is done.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you again, for the tips. I have googled cameos, but thought I'd try you guys! 🙂 So, you are saying this might be 20's-30's? And definitely not Victorian?
Think I've got it! 🙂 Thanks so much!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply