cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Features and Fees

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
To drive more effective use of listing formats, a pricing update affecting optional features will take effect later this year.

On October 1, the feature fee for reserve price will increase to the greater of $3 or 4% of the reserve price (minimum price that must be met for your item to sell), with a cap of $100, as shown below:

SR16.2_AB Post_Pricing Chart_500x160_v2
To minimize the impact of this update, follow these top tips:

• Since a reserve price can discourage bidding, enter the lowest amount you’ll accept, and only use this optional feature when absolutely necessary.

• Instead of using the reserve price option, consider using fixed price with a Best Offer option. This is beneficial if you know the market value of your item, but may be willing to accept a lower price.

• Rather than using the reserve price option, consider increasing your starting price.

Visit our Help page for more information about using the reserve price option. As always, thank you for being a part of eBay.
26 Comments
by eratime888 · Pathfinder
eratime888
Pathfinder

The fee from the sale is too high for private sellers. We don't own a big company and with huge sales to get discount from you. We also have to use Pay Pal and they take 2% as well. 

by crossra · Adventurer
crossra
Adventurer

The fees are so high now that people are looking for better places to sell there things I am trying to stay at home but if  you keep raising prices for selling I have no choice but to go to work come on already quit being so dang greedy.

by radishdude · Adventurer
radishdude
Adventurer

Ive been on Ebay since 2001 and It seems that fees always go up when some new service or policy is implemented. If there's no new service or poicy in a particular year, fees will go up annually and the explanation forthe increase sounds awfully like an excuse, rafther than a such a good reason that  sellers are able to say, "Oh yes, that makes sense!" Don't get me wrong, Ebay offers a great service and is really the preferred place to sell your stuff. However, while your CEO and other upper management folks are making more money than most of us will  see in our lifetime, please give some thought to those who are working really hard to make ends meet;  trying to sell a few things to get some critically needed funds while some  EBay Executives  have "no worries." Between Ebay taking 10%, Pay Pal taking 2% and the lastest Postal increases, Itwould be really someting if Y'all took a little bit less......

rarefyndone
Adventurer

I'm a seller with more than 2200 items listed and I pay $300.00 minimum for my store every month.  My average bill monthly is around $450 to $500 TO EBAY!  That's a mortage payment!!  But... they still want more.  Now they tell me "Get your product out front!"  Join a program that allows you to pay more percentage when an item sells... and we'll try to sell it!  Huh?  We probably need a guy like Mark Cuben to come along as say..."hmm... people are looking for a better alternative.  I've got an idea" 

Giving Ebay $5000+ a year hurts.  But it doen't hurt as much as having thousands of listings and selling nothing for days on end sometimes.  Yes they get a persentage of the sale, but they also get a flat $300 a month from me for having a store whether I sell anything or not!  Good deal huh?   Now they say "we can help you sell it faster and better if you pay more when it sells!"  How about just selling it because you're getting paid already to sell it!

by keithharrierenterprises · Trailblazer | Updated

i pay $800 to 1200 per month in selling fees a month to ebay, but i profit more than i pay them. by the way if your category fees are 10% and your paypal fees are actually 2.9% + .30 per transaction. u need to know your fees to all those commenting. becuase all those saying paypal is 2% are not correct. work on your title keywords, items specifics, make sure u are in the correct category, give item description that helps the customers make an informed decision more than your competitors, and for all means quit posting 10k listings that dont sell that require u to pay so much for a store subscriction .

basically u need to now your fees, optimize your listings, and not just throw thousands of listings up that arent selling. and by all means provide the best customer service u possibly can. answer your ebay messages quickly, ship in a day or same day if u can, fix any customer issue that may come accross. That is the most valueable thing to your customers. 

by jules7427 · Adventurer
jules7427
Adventurer

I have been selling on ebay since 2002. Those of you complaining about fees should do a little research on the fee history and be thankful for what you are paying now. If you don't want to pay $300.00 a month, don't! Find another venue and see how that goes for you. 

We have to pay to play. That is how it goes. I love being able to shop and sell for a living and still be home for my family. 

Do your research. Learn your fees and make it work for you. If you are going days without selling, reevaluate your titles and prices. Also, if you have 2200 listings make sure they aren't all on GTC. After a certain period of time, your items start getting bumped down in searches. Try ending half of them. Re-list by choosing sell similar and try doing some 30 day listings to get your items back at the top. This works for me. 

by 515ford · Enthusiast
515ford
Enthusiast

When I click on print shipping label it goes to the ups site.  Can we not use the usps anymore?

thrifty.417
Adventurer

I am still upset because I sold an item last year it was over $800 plus shipping this was a brand new electronic item and the buyer said after he got it he said that it was used when the box was never open and so the buyer stop payment of his credit card and ebay did not do nothing so I lost my item plus $800 and all what ebay said I am very SORRY yes but they did not help me get my money not even my item, and yes I am still upset, and too I cancel one sell because the item that i sold it go broken and so now ebay got me as below sellers performens just for one thing that I was honest to the buyer, that stinks

by ia_dane · Adventurer
ia_dane
Adventurer

When did USPS stop the $100 insurance on all Priotity mail packages and where/when was it that e-bay notified sellers of such action??? I just noticed that it was $50 when doing a recent e-bay shipping label. Perhaps it changed sometime ago but I just noticed it!!

autostars_inc
Adventurer

TOO MUCH SPAM!!  LIsting fees need to go up and final value fees should go DOWN to discourage spammers that make 100,000 listings for their products via 8 different accounts from filling every search page with the same **bleep**.  This would make things easier to find and increase sales for ebay as a whole.  Actually encouraging sellers who have decent proiducts to bring to the table and discouraging the search spammers.  DONT BELIVE ME?  Search for anything in ebay motors and lowest price will pring up 20 pages of light bulbs and vinyl wrap before you EVER find what you`re actually searching for.  Search fatigue is the main reason buyers are going elsewhere to shop.  

gamingcarnivore
Adventurer

I would just suggest lowering the qualifying aspect of discounts that come from being a top rated seller. If you make obtaining these discounts more obtainable by even casual sellers if would help alot. If someone is just popping in and selling like 10 items ok so be it they should pay your basic fees, but someone who sells say 25 a month for 3 months in a row maybe that should be enough to earn them a final value fee discount as long as they keep selling (not posting but actually selling) 25 items a month and so on. give obtainable low goals so you can encompus a wider variety of sellers.

wesellvintage
Rising Star

I have been away from eBay for quite a while, member since 2001

Seller prices drove me away last time and are bound to drive me away again.  

I have to keep my merchandise competitively priced and the cost of my mostly used items varies a lot.  I do not have many items for sale in wholesale lots.  Most of my items are one of a kind.

My average cost to profit is hardly worth the long hours this job requires. Example: I have a friend cleaning houses for 6-8 hours per day and her profit is nearly double mine.  She works 4-5 days a week vs I work every day of the week.

slickeryblends1975
Rising Star

Fees are really high for selling.  By far my most expensive selling platform.

thrifty.417
Adventurer

Yes, ebay is getting to expensive plus PayPay charge too, so in order to get what you pay for it or make some extra money you have to put it hire and some times people don't want to pay to much and too the time that the person spends in front of the computer and the money that you spend to buy items like my self I bought a closeout so I have from Watch, Clocks and alot of NEW and USED parts but most of them are brand new, So I work 7 days a week from 8 - 8 and I don't make $$$$$ or what I make Is to pay for Ebay and Paypal but I hope to god that one of this days I would sell all what I spend. 

by resalelabs · Adventurer
resalelabs
Adventurer

Overall, eBay is by far the largest and best place I've found for selling online thus far. They do have exorbitant fees that seem extreme. We are paying for the exposure. Try bringing your price below the competition and give people the option to make an offer. God bless y'all! Have a prosperous new year!

just my 2 cents to the people talking about the fees, and also about  the people listing 1000's of listing a day

those that list all those listing a day most likey are dropshipping. and those people cannot compete with those that hold the merch. they just cannot. 

plus most of those people are using cvs files to upload from the manufcturer or whoever they get the csv from. 

basically while it seems frustrating to us, u have to realizew that they most likey arent making sales

ebay will push them up in rank, cause many times, they price so low that u cannot compete, since their current alogitithm has that as a part, even if u hold the merch and they dont. BUT what i said in my forst post should be read. most of those people arent being found how your buyer searches for your item cause they are just throwing just up. and your distributor probably gets their csv from their source who is just throwin it up. basically point being if u know your industry then make everything from scratch. u will see the difference. and i unfortunatley cannot go more into it then this, cause this is public, but i want to help others

oh also, read my ealier post. but their are so many people selling and thowing up listings that if u hold and u know the actual cost from a real distribtor or even the manufacturer, that if u know the selling fees and the paypal total fees, your part cost, and also the shipping lable costs, and u know for a fact that those people are losiong money...... then dont worry about it.... they will get their quick sales revenue coming in. but you have to account for the returns also. ... those guys dont. and thats why i have seen 20 people in my direct competitors come quick, take some sales, and disappear very shortly afterwards

business is a long game. know the numbers. when those take sales when u know for a fact they are losing money on every sale, and u call your distributor asking "how the hell is so and so selling this for ..... when i know your cost is this and i know for a fact ebay and paypal are charging this combined  for fees on the sale and shipping costs this when i hold it", and they 100% assure u that that person get no lower price than u, then u know for a fact that that other seller is losing money and will disappear. 

basically know your margins, know all fees and costs, and u will probably be above 70% of online sellers

i would upload my excell shreadsheet i made for calculating everything but this forum doesnt support it as an attachment

btw joules, i pay 59 for my store and just paid 1300 for my selling fees. please by all means optimize your stuff. cause if u paying 300 for the store and only 3-4 hundred for selling fees then u are not optimized. i dont mean to sound harsh just trying to help

by brinus2 · Rising Star | Updated
brinus2
Rising Star

Personally, I try to include a portion of what I'm expected to pay in fees in my selling price.  With higher feedback ratings, free shipping, etc, the buyer will tend to pay a little bit more if they feel you are trustworthy, have good customer service, and can get the item that is being offered without variation from the details in the listing.  Be detailed in your listings so the buyer doesn't have questions on what you're selling.  I don't have 1000s of items listed, but make a pretty decent penny yearly from what I do sell.  I've tried a couple of other sites, and by far Ebay is the easiest to use, and gives you many more options than the others.  The only thing I would like to see changed would be either lower store fees, or maybe a 1% discount on final value fees for store subscribers.  If you had your own website, with less exposure, you'd most likely be paying more.

earthbornbooks
Adventurer

I'm sure the US had antitrust laws at some time in the past.

by siteorg · Adventurer | Updated
siteorg
Adventurer

My problem is not so much the fees, but the new rules with categories.  I have collectible bottles of wine that are sealed.  I cannot sell them anynore unless I own a store, I tried to sell a 2 1/2" x 9 1/2" two sides instructions to a .22 caliber rifle which comes in the original small envelope.  Ebay will not let me sell that because you cannot sell a weapon, firearm, etc. which I am not by any means.  WHY?

by tress6566 · Pathfinder
tress6566
Pathfinder

Final value fees increase pay pal takes 3% plus 30 cents per transaction not to mention another fee for international sales how can I be competetive on ebay your steering me to other alternatives 

gameroomcity
Adventurer

For you lightweights who complain about increase charges. Why not raise your prices to cover them. Look you can't beat them join them. My charges exceed  6000.00 a month, we are doing the best ever with Ebay. They take care of me as a seller , You should be thanking them not crying about your dealings with them. If you like it here try Amazon or even Craigslist and deal with flakes and people who order and return your goods for no reason. You People just don,t realize how great they are

rocky92357
Rising Star

by rocky 92357

not only are the fees hight for ebay and paypal, now paypal freezes everything for selling what everybody sells so that i can't get my money out or sell on ebay and i can't get a straight answer as to why they keep doing this.

davewearsredsox
Adventurer

I have been using other services and platforms far more often. The main reason is the fee's that on average are 900 - 1200 and not to include paypal. While the other sites may not be as brisk they are increasing my profit margin.

Additionally I feel the fee structure has sent many great sellers elsewhere like myself and in return, services for the buyer in a whole have decreased since many professional sellers have left.

I sell collectible items comics, cards, vinyl, among other pieces and it is not a fair practise for me to offer return services. I do garuntee my products and rarely do I have return requests but requiring me to offer 14 day money back would put me in a very awkward posistion.

Not to sound harsh but I feel Ebay has already lost the war to Amazon and many proffesional sellers are using EBAY for lower end products. I also feel if Ebay wishes to sustain they will need to revisit fee structures as this trend needs to reverse before more profesional buyers look for other options.