eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

HOW do I collect sales tax on eBay?

I am asking about the actual pressing buttons eBay process for collecting sales tax, NOT the bureaucratic process. I already have my paperwork and legal issues completely squared with the Great State of California and know when and from whom to collect sales tax, and even how much to charge, so thank you beforehand for not delivering lectures on the illegality of collecting sales tax without Papa Brown's approval.

I have tried very hard to figure out how to collect CA sales tax for my listings.

Everything I have read says that there should be an option to collect sales tax under shipping and handling charges, yet I cannot find an option for it, nor is eBay's own literature very helpful. I understand that I can send an invoice with sales tax included, but I want it automatically calculated for my CA customers who make an instant payment. Any help is appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: HOW do I collect sales tax on eBay?

in reply to silkroadgadgetry
I was looking for this same information, and FINALLY found it here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/checkout-tax-table.html

It sure is hidden! Hope this helps someone else.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks! I was looking for this also ^-^

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Import to Quicken?

QUOTE: You can download transaction information as a comma-delimited or tab-delimited file, and then open it using any spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel. You can also upload the file into your bookkeeping or accounting solution, such as Quicken or QuickBooks.

I have been using Quicken for over 10 years and I am fairly certain it does NOT accept CSV files.  Can anyone explain?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks for your post.  I am in California too and if you have a start place for me to start getting set up with the state and ol Jerry it would be greatly appreciated.  I am a totally green ebay person wanting to sell but also want to get it correct from the get go.

Thanks for your time!

Bob

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I live in California. Do i have to charge sales tax for all California sales? Even sales on used items???

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm in NY ... we have a tax for the state, and each locality (county and a couple of cities) also have taxes.  I only need to collect taxes in my own county .... but there is no way I can find in eBay to accomplish that.

Anyone know how?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Does anyone know what about the district tax in California? Almost every county and even some cities here have an additional sales tax rate on top of the 7.25% state sales tax. Ebay's list does not allow to add that.

(1) Does it need to be collected on ebay-type sales?

(2) If yes, how? 

Please use plain text.
efashion3478
Community Member

*I'd also like to know how I'm supposed to charge my city's sales tax too for washington residents or just residents that live my city/state...or do I just pay that on my own and the buyer only pays the state tax???

Store front:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/efashion3478
Please use plain text.
rascalsresaleonline
Community Member

Realize this is kinda old but I was wondering if you found any information about collecting district sales tax for California. Please update if you have. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Is there a report on how much tax I collected?

Is there a report or summary of the total sales tax I collected ?

I started keeping a record for the first 8 month then slacked off the last 4 months. 

I am hoping there is a summary somewhere hidden on the ebay site, or maybe paypal?

Thanks fellow ebayers

Please use plain text.
714gorilla
Community Member

Thank you for being so thoughtful.  I was wanting that, too.

Another CA tax question - in regards to Ebay, I had always heard that you have to sell over a certain amount of items or a certain amount of money for CA to make it mandatory to charge a sales tax on items sold.  And we only had to charge sales tax on those Buyers in CA.

Now in 2013, has it become mandatory to charge Sales Tax on everything a Seller Sells?  CA and any other state we sell to?  :-(

"In the end, only kindness matters."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

thanks for the info

Please use plain text.
highflyer214
Community Member

in reply to surf-mom

I have the same question.

I never kept record and now my accountant told I have to figure out what to pay!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to highflyer214

Hello, I have the same question. For the past two years we have had to go through our PayPal accounts , one at a time to see how many sales had to pay sales tax. Quicken would probably be able to do it if you are savvy enough to figure it out!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 714gorilla

"Now in 2013, has it become mandatory to charge Sales Tax on everything a Seller Sells?  CA and any other state we sell to?  :-(

Is this correct? Ebay has been automatically adding taxes that I first assumed they took and submitted to the state but it appears I assumed wrong. Furthermore Ebay has calculated sales tax only on CA purchased auctions and not out of state.

This is getting complicated so clarification of some sort from an expert, CA tax rep or even EBAY would be very helpful.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to momoni

First time on this board. I'm seeing many good questions, the same ones I have, only I can't find any of the answers.  Is there some other place to find the answers?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi There 

Sall texes dependes what California City & Country sales & County sales tax  for example in Los Angeles charge 9.000%  in Orange County 8.000%  here is tge chart hope this help you look at it. Have good luck your sell on ebay...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

To charge sales tax:

For a new listing you click on "Sell" at the top of your page.  Then in the upper right hand corner you'll see "Switch to Advanced Tool", click on this.  When you get to the bottom of setting up your listing (should be right after shipping options), you'll be given the option to setup sales tax (it will ask you for which state and the percentage you need to charge).

If it's a current listing, just edit your listing, you may have to again look for the "Switch to Advanced Tool" in the upper right hand corner of the screen.  Again, at the bottom you'll find your option for charging sales tax.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to elleefix79

I have setup the Sales tax table, with the appropriate sales tax, however, whenever we create a listing it does not include the tax.  What am I missing?

Please use plain text.