cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

someone is copying my art in ebay

They look at my art and than recreate it, what can I do???

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Report this to eBay.  Go to help and try to find the contact eBay link.  It may be in the Security Link.  In any case your case will be reviewed.  Do you have a photo of the  original?  They may ask for it.  It's possible the "thief" will be banned from eBay.

You can also write the copyright thief  and demand they remove the listing.  It will still be there for you to show eBay.  Give them the number of the listing.  Please follow through because this is a serious infraction of copyright laws.  Tell us what happened. 

Thea

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I looked at your art listings.  Who is the seller that is copying your art?  I suggest you start putting a Watermark on your photo.  The sad thing about the art world is that because there are literally millions of artists today, the chances of either having your art copied or having another artist come up with the exact same idea as yours are very high.  Having totally original ideas that no one else has done is very hard to do, simply because with the millions of other artists out there, someone is bound to copy or paint something very similar to yours.   I've seen several artists, lately, who have such similar paint styles, it's almost hard to believe they're different artists.  And of course you have some overseas sellers who don't care about copyrights, and will print and sell your art as much as they like.  Even if you stop them from doing it on eBay, chances are, they probably have another online store set up to sell it, and it would be hard to track them all down.  Even the most famous artists out there have their work copied.  Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do.  Use a Watermark in your photos to make it more difficult for anyone to Copy and Save your art with the intentions to Photoshop it.  And if it worries you that much, talk to a lawyer about what you can do to seek any damages/profits the thieves have made.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Tell Ebay to remove their work, but you need to show which pieces are being copied and which are the copies.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Are they copying exactly, similar, or copying the technique?   If they change it a bit, eBay won't do anything.  Do you have a sample of yours and the copied art?  (minus the name of the artist)  I have seen exact copies and I have seen some that the artist was convinced was a copy and in reality very different.  

You can report it to eBay, but is it's changed even a little bit, don't expect help with this.  Also, there is no one group that is copying more than another group.  It happens right across the board.  We've had long discussions on this in our sister group on facebook.  Come over and join if you like.  There is more discussion there than here.

.•:*¨¨*:•Leola•:*¨¨*:•.

my blog
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

sister facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/153963054750715/

my blog
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Another thing.   Very often many artists use the same reference photo. If you use reference photos, consider that because with some reference photos that are very popular, I have seen tens of copies - yet they're by no means stroke for stroke. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

that's very true. Good point.

my blog
Message 8 of 8
latest reply