cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pics or scans?

Hi,

My ACEOs are usually done on watercolor paper, Arches 140#. They tend to curl somewhat making them hard to photograph. Scanning seems to flatten the texture. I could use some advice. Thinking of using 300# paper instead but wonder if they will be too thick?

Thanks

Suni

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

pics or scans?

I used to do both pictures and scans, but decided that digital photos are the way to go.  I paint on both 140 and 300 pound paper, mostly 300 pound because I simply prefer the way it absorbs the color - so what if it takes twice as much paint?  To straighten 140 pound - gently rub both horizontally and vertically from the backside against the corner of a table.  I also say this on every page -

"All images are digital photos. Because light effects color and the colors you see depend on the monitor used for viewing, colors may vary slightly from images posted. Images are cropped for neatness, so edges of painting will not be exactly as pictured."

Then I usually give 3 images - a large cropped one, a photo of the painting on a tiny easel showing all edges of the ACEO, then a smaller cropped image. 

Hope some of this helps. 

deborah4325
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

pics or scans?

I forgot to tell you that 300 pound paper, even though quite a bit more snug, still fits in the archival sleeves for posting - and in a check sized envelope it only takes ONE first class stamp to send - even though I add a second envelope for protection. 

deborah4325
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

pics or scans?

YIKES... so sorry to have done this in 3 replies... there is no pre-cut 300 pound paper.  I use Arches Aquarelle and I cut all my 300 pound cards by hand. 

So, keep this in mind when deciding which to use.  The pre-cut are very handy and I use them too... but there's just something about the 300 pound paper I like. 

deborah4325
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

pics or scans?

Thanks so much for your responses with all the great tips! Very helpful.
Suni
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

pics or scans?

Excellent explanation that you add to your auctions. Thanks for sharing!
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

pics or scans?

Hi,

When I photograph my aceo's that have curled (most of them) I wet the back with clean water and set on a paper towel and put aceo and towel in an old phone book with heavier big books on top.  They turn out very nice and no need to iron or any any other historic method of flattening.The paper towel absorbs the excess water from aceo paper and avoids picking up the ink from the phonebook .

Hope this helps........worth a try!!

Cathie

Message 7 of 7
latest reply