cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excited to be here! Have ???s - Please advise

WOW! WOW! WOW! I am soooo excited! I have been doing 'small art' for many years and have given away or 'left behind', more than I care to think about... and to think that there is a niche market for it just boggles my mind! Mind you, I will now have to make sure that my art is done at the correct size. 

After losing all of my 'artwork' in a house fire 6 years ago I am just now ernestly replacing my supplies. I have been doing this rather haphazardly with no real direction and with little excitement. I guess the loss of everything really 'took it out of me'. But now I am starting to come back to myself, and my small art has always been an important part of me, so I have been forcing myself to get back to it- more as therapy than anything else. To find this community and an actual 'market' through which I might be able to sell my art!?!!!! Amazing!!!!

What about form - is all art at this size acceptable? I 'create' using all kinds of materials -depending on what's at hand to whether or not I am in my artist mode - using paints, brushes, pastels, inks, etc. or just 'playing', 'figetting', 'doodeling'  with paper and writing instruments or anything else at my disposal. ( sometimes I just have too much nervous energy ;-))

I really like the idea of TW too.  Mind you, I don't just 'create on demand', so I would have to submit & list artwork that has already been completed and just happens to qualify for the 'theme'. Is that acceptable? or do entries have to be created for the theme at the time the theme is revealed?

Other than size, are there any other restrictions I should be aware of - like what materials can be used with regard to the format?  Does 'paint' have to actually BE paint? 

I see only artboard & watercolor paper being used - can any other materials be used in it's place? I have a TON of Glossy photo paper that I received to reprint family photos - now I need a new use for it...can I use it in place of watercolor paper?  What about bristol board - I use a lot of that as the 'base' for my 'decoupage'.

Where can I see formats other than drawings/paintings. Does anyone do 'layered' work- like decoupage or Tear & Stick as I have always called it? 

I have never given any thoght to 'acid free' regarding my small art - is this teribly important - I mean when I do a piece from odds and ends or unconventional 'paints' what part does 'acid free' play then, if any?

I see that they have 'sleeves' for ACEO paintings, but what about 3D work? Is there any way to protect it? and if so where can I get it?

Please if anyone could point me in the right direction(s) - LINKS would be Greatly Appreciated - THANKS SO VERY, VERY MUCH!

I am looking forward to being part of this community.

Let's all have fun creating!!!

~Christine~

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Excited to be here! Have ???s - Please advise

Happy to help you.

1. First, join ACEI-Art Cards Editions and Originals - the Facebook Ebay ACEO site.

And look it over, read files, etc.

2. Let me know your FB name and I'll ask to Friend you so we can chat at length about this.Or look up my FB fanpage, CAThARTic or my personal FB page, Donna Bickley.

3. Now for a few answers to yhou ?'s:

Any base can be used for ACEO's - One person that I know about, crocheted a card with a design embroidered on it.

The ONLY RULE is it must be 21/2x31/3 inches.

Art collectors will want the art to be acid-free;, archival quality paper (some do scratchboard, wood, etc. ) with fade-resistant  paint mostly. Any paint will do as long as you say what you are using: watercolor, acrylic, oil, inks, etc. Check out some of the cards for sale by some of the folks on that FB Board. Look at one of my listings (Donna Bickley). See how people are describing what they are using.

Do an eBay search for ACEO's - Original and study the SOLD items for more info. Look at my eBay listings page.

http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbay&gbh=1

I think there are a coupla different views of the cards - some people want the art to be like a miniature painting. Others, liuke me see it more as a "card". Not sure I can explain that.

Don't know if there is any 3-D protective covering but the archival sleeves made for sports cards, whether flexible or hard can be used.

Please ask me ?'s - I've been doing this for only a year but hang out on that FB board a lot so have learned a great deal.

Welcome,

Donna Bickley

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Oh, collage is fine. Not sure how it sells,.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Hi!  I understand we can use pretty much any media we want.  The rules are the size, and it must be Original.  I have seen 3-D artwork on the Ebay site, so I imagine it's included in the 'contest'.  Look forward to seeing your work, Jean.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I originally was told that ACEO'S MUST be Original - but note that the title is ART CARDSS EDITIONS and ORIGINALS and some people, perhaps many, now list prints as ACEO's - Personally, I think it SHOULD ONLY BE ORIGINALS. But most important is that it should be very clear in the title which itt is!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Hello Donna, so nice to meet you. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you - I am unfamiliar with these areas of eBay. Takes me forever to get around  in here- I never know where to look to see what I am doing. LOL 

Your answers were very informative and greatly appreciated. I am so encouraged! This is all very exciting - a new chapter, if you will.    

I dropped by your listings - NICE! And I am now one of your devoted followers. I hope we will be seeing eachother in the community, and I look forward to many hours of friendship shared through our love of art.

Sincerely,

~Christine~

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank you Jean for the info - it is greatly appreciated. I hope to see your work soon. I looked but didn't find any. Hope your creative processes are flourishing so I can view your work soon, too. Sincerely, ~Christine~

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

There's supposed to be rules on this site somewhere also on same page as rules there is the url to the group on Facebook where there are many more members and stuff to share.  I am not a FB member nor do I belong to any social media - on purpose.

Thea

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

The only hard fast rule never to be broken is the size. Always 2.5 x 3.5" Original OR PRINTS (hence "editions" in ACEO) You can paint on a cow patty with tomato juice if you like as long as it's 2.5 x 3.5
.•:*¨¨*:•Leola•:*¨¨*:•.

my blog
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Any medium is acceptable. and you can use any paper, canvas you want. It does not have to be acid free. It's all up to you. Some people even paint on cereal box cardboard or old decks of cards (that happen to be 2.5 x 3.5) Just make sure to use gesso first or white acrylic first to seal it

my blog
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thea we do have a set of guidelines over on facebook, but they wouldn't be of use here. They pertain more to keeping the group running smoothly over there than actual rules for aceo (of which there is really only one)

my blog
Message 11 of 11
latest reply