cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Building A Better Community" Board Now Open!

A post from Karen, the new Director of Community:

Hi all,

We’re reimagining the online Community experience at eBay and we can’t do this without you. Over the next several weeks we’ll post updates, questions and ideas right here  - in an effort to get your input on what you would like the new Community online experience to include.

To make sure we capture all of your ideas, thoughts and comments over the next few weeks and beyond - you’ll notice a few new faces online. For example, alan@ebay is joining Griff, myself and the eBay Community team as our dedicated Community Manager. After over 3 years on the boards in Dublin, Ireland, Alan is joining us at eBay headquarters in San Jose, CA. Welcome alan@ebay!

At its core, eBay is a place to sell, buy, connect, and learn - but most importantly - eBay is a place to belong.  And, our online Community plays a big part in making that happen. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts as we build the best Community experience together.

The eBay Community Team

Unfortunately, the only way to "find" this new board is through the main Community page and then the notice is only included in the "scrolling headlines info" at the top of the page.

Here is the link for quick access....share your thoughts and opinions, but, imo, it should be "Community" related and not about eBay problems in general...and FYI, for those who remember, bostongrammy posted!

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Building-A-Better-Online/Building-a-better-online-Community/m-p/2587944...

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 1 of 195
latest reply
26 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Officially I don't think we're going to like what's coming down the pike. You just have to look at the other Lithium run boards to understand what we'll be getting.

What people have forgotten is that Jeff was responsible for this board configuration and fought for it to be different from the corporate boards that exist on other platforms.

I think the discussion boards being badly split up and stifled had more to do with Lithium limitations and less with what was actually desired.

The new community director, I feel, remembers very little about OLD discussion forums in general, is hooked into the new type of internet communication, that is almost instantaneous, sound bite length, image based and LOTS of emojis.

I'm praying that what we get doesn't break the faith of the real old timers to the point of everyone leaving.

Here is how lithium promoted their boards to get a taste of what we might be seeing:

http://www.lithium.com/products-solutions/online-communities/forums

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 195
latest reply

You're right savanna, change is not always good.

I favor the saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix it"

Sounds like someone needs to justify their job.

Jean

Message 4 of 195
latest reply

I think they would be happy if some of us old dinosaurs did shuffle off because we wouldn't be constantly harkening back to days of yore.

What I didn't say on the big thread was gamification, which is where we're headed, IMO. I don't want to see fighting or be involved with it.

People are already asking for the things I think can be mass abused and real community destroyers, ignore features and thumbs down. In fact the very first post was a request for an ignore feature, which, I think set the tone for the thread.

Does anyone remember when they had yes/no buttons in the Answer Center and the problems that started?

Message 5 of 195
latest reply

@savanna.dance wrote:
I think they would be happy if some of us old dinosaurs did shuffle off because we wouldn't be constantly harkening back to days of yore.

What I didn't say on the big thread was gamification, which is where we're headed, IMO. I don't want to see fighting or be involved with it.

People are already asking for the things I think can be mass abused and real community destroyers, ignore features and thumbs down. In fact the very first post was a request for an ignore feature, which, I think set the tone for the thread.

Does anyone remember when they had yes/no buttons in the Answer Center and the problems that started?

You know, what's funny is they have no idea how it used to be...Not sure how far back you were here, I actually started in 2000, although this ID doesn't show that...now the feedie board had a bad rep for being not so nice....but it wasn't really like that.....well....it was only like that for the feedback starved idiots who came there crying because they didn't get their precious pat on the head yet.Smiley Wink

My business is really slow today, so I just went through the archives for awhile.... I spent a long time reading the hamlet on feedback thread. I laughed out loud a dozen times.... maybe it wouldn't be as funny to some because they didn't post with all of those folks regularly....but I had very fond memories reading it. And saw a lot of ID's no longer with us...I enjoyed every one of them.

The funniest part is...if you go through the thread...claire@ebay  kelly@ebay...maeve@ebay, etc

they were all right there cracking up, interacting and posting along with us...

I know a lot of you remember the not so great times on the boards back then too...but I have to say, it really was a community...I miss those days. A lot of posts are missing from back then..and the dates are wrong...

but it sure was fun.

Message 6 of 195
latest reply

easier to wipe away.....Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 195
latest reply

It seems to be a cliffhanger.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.

Message 13 of 195
latest reply

Its been nice posting with you guys!! Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 195
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

I'm wondering if the next time I take a few days off, will the Part Time eBay Sellers Group still be here? wink emo.gif Anyone wanna guess?

No guesses here 😞

Let's all promise to leave breadcrumbs for each other, wherever we may land 😉

technology-hansel-fairytale-fairy_tale-fairy_story-breadcrumb-llan1394_low.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 16 of 195
latest reply

@focusoncommunity wrote:

Hi all,

We’re reimagining the online Community experience at eBay and we can’t do this without you. Over the next several weeks we’ll post updates, questions and ideas right here  - in an effort to get your input on what you would like the new Community online experience to include.

The eBay Community Team

I've been reimagining the online Community experience at eBay also. My recipe is fairly simple...

1. Go to eBay Motors amd find a Delorean

Delorean (GT4) photo Delorean11GT4.jpg

2. Search eBay for electronic components

and find a Flux Capacitor...

flux capicitor photo flux_capacitor.jpg

3. While listening to Huey Lewis and the News

4. Play the Belly Button Game... it's kinda like

the Word Game... Uhhh... OK, it's not...

Innies

• an ignore option
  • a "thumbs down" to counter the Kudos option.
  • the return of many posters, banned for simply posting with emotion.

Outies (based on the assumption that one must be an adult to post to the Community)

• the "bleep", we are not in kindergarrden
  • unexplained, inconsistant moderation
  • the "Report Button"... don't like it, don't read it...

better yet, from the belly button above, give it a

thumbs down, or hit the ignore button.

Message 17 of 195
latest reply

Here it comes!!! We are being "rewarded", just like we said we didn't want 😞

Notification Feed - The eBay Community - Waterfox 8172016 125136 PM.bmp.jpg

Message 18 of 195
latest reply

fly... it looks like this is just, yet another glitch from the poo flinging programmer monkeys...

everyone got the raise to, "Community Manager"... even the spammer with two posts on

hidy's Shockwave thread.

Ebay will continue "improving" our Community experience working on a simple premise...

never miss an opportunity, to miss an opportunity to leave well enough alone.

fly, I am sure we will all be demoted, as soon as the monkey who pushed the wrong

button fixes his/her/it's mistake.

Message 19 of 195
latest reply

Welllll ... we've all been demoted again 😉

Are they going to take away the raise too? (or wasn't I supposed to mention that?) LOL

Message 21 of 195
latest reply

At first I thought we were all made honorary members of  Blue Man Group!!

article-2158826-13977B14000005DC-234_634x355.jpg

Message 23 of 195
latest reply

... knowing eBay, I think that would be, Blue Man Parts Group. (no picture will be included on this post)

Message 24 of 195
latest reply

Blowing horn and pounding my 'chest'.....I have been bumped up to "Community Manager" Smiley Very Happy

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon

Message 25 of 195
latest reply

Gamification has begun.

Message 26 of 195
latest reply

so... you're saying it gives you the blues

sunglasses.gif

Message 28 of 195
latest reply

I don't see you!
Oh there you are or not. Shall we play hide and seek.

Goodnight all!
Catch me up when I need to be.

Message 29 of 195
latest reply

@savanna.dance wrote:
Gamification has begun.

they must think we all have two neurons in a slipknot for a brain

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon

Message 30 of 195
latest reply

OK, let's get serious ~  please note that the blue couch matches my blue font color!

That is some "serious" design skill you've got there Hidy ... your couch (and font) would fit right in here. LOL 💟

This is where those blue men hang out 🙂

Message 31 of 195
latest reply

It's definitely where the blue paw licking cat hangs out in front of the fireplace. That design looks chill, as in cold. brrrr

Message 32 of 195
latest reply

My question about the new community design and Alan's response:

My question, his answer:

alan@ebay Community Manager
2:02 PM
savanna.dance wrote:
Hi again Alan.

You wrote "We're adding some much-requested features too." and previously on the Building a Better Community thread, it was mentioned that many sellers had been talked to in regards to the future redesign.

Who were these sellers, how did eBay find them and what relevance would their input have if they aren't regular active users of the current discussion boards and answer center?

Can you speak to us about gamification and how much that's going to be used in the redesign?

Hello!

Around the globe we've lots of eBay employees that engage daily on our discussion boards (I've been one of them for the past 3.5 years)

We continually capture insights from Community users on what features they like / dislike and what they'd like to see in future. Then we work closely with our platform provider to build these features.

Recently at eBay OPEN we shared details about the future of Community and we also shared some of our upcoming redesign. I had some great conversations with sellers about Community at that event.

-----

So no-one who actually uses the boards.

Message 33 of 195
latest reply

Currently there are no plans to change the structure of groups...

Message 36 of 195
latest reply

No worries hidy, I didn't mean to barge in like that. Loving your blue posts!

Message 39 of 195
latest reply

PS I want those shoes darn it and the big blue bunny ears! 🐰

Message 40 of 195
latest reply

I find that picture disturbing....................Smiley Very Happy

Message 41 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

The "link" that I provided is no longer necessary ~ it is now an "official board" under the "Inside eBay" heading within "Discussion Boards:

Inside eBay

....and FYI, penguins_dont_fly posted a really great summary of what is wrong with the community and what we need to fix it....post #32

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Building-A-Better-Online/Building-a-better-online-Community/m-p/2588015...

Message 2 of 195
latest reply

Officially I don't think we're going to like what's coming down the pike. You just have to look at the other Lithium run boards to understand what we'll be getting.

What people have forgotten is that Jeff was responsible for this board configuration and fought for it to be different from the corporate boards that exist on other platforms.

I think the discussion boards being badly split up and stifled had more to do with Lithium limitations and less with what was actually desired.

The new community director, I feel, remembers very little about OLD discussion forums in general, is hooked into the new type of internet communication, that is almost instantaneous, sound bite length, image based and LOTS of emojis.

I'm praying that what we get doesn't break the faith of the real old timers to the point of everyone leaving.

Here is how lithium promoted their boards to get a taste of what we might be seeing:

http://www.lithium.com/products-solutions/online-communities/forums

Message 3 of 195
latest reply

You're right savanna, change is not always good.

I favor the saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix it"

Sounds like someone needs to justify their job.

Jean

Message 4 of 195
latest reply

Message 5 of 195
latest reply

@savanna.dance wrote:

You know, what's funny is they have no idea how it used to be...Not sure how far back you were here, I actually started in 2000, although this ID doesn't show that...now the feedie board had a bad rep for being not so nice....but it wasn't really like that.....well....it was only like that for the feedback starved idiots who came there crying because they didn't get their precious pat on the head yet.Smiley Wink

My business is really slow today, so I just went through the archives for awhile.... I spent a long time reading the hamlet on feedback thread. I laughed out loud a dozen times.... maybe it wouldn't be as funny to some because they didn't post with all of those folks regularly....but I had very fond memories reading it. And saw a lot of ID's no longer with us...I enjoyed every one of them.

The funniest part is...if you go through the thread...claire@ebay  kelly@ebay...maeve@ebay, etc

they were all right there cracking up, interacting and posting along with us...

I know a lot of you remember the not so great times on the boards back then too...but I have to say, it really was a community...I miss those days. A lot of posts are missing from back then..and the dates are wrong...

but it sure was fun.

Message 6 of 195
latest reply

Thanks, guys for taking the time to post love.gif!

Message 7 of 195
latest reply

LOL,.....not really, more like a RollingEyesSmiley5.gif!  I was looking through the new community board to find a particular post to reply to ~ there are now more than 180 posts, so I decided it would be easier to look through the posts of the ID and find it that way.....ummmmm, nope, no posts in the thread are showing up under the respective IDs....OY!

Message 8 of 195
latest reply

easier to wipe away.....Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 195
latest reply

eCommerceBytes now has the info on the "reimagining" of the Community....responses are similar to those on the new board....."Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".....getting more difficult to keep my glass half full attitude!  I read an interesting new take on the glass half full vs. the glass half empty phrase ~ I'm just freekin' happy to have a glass! laughing emo.gif

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2016/8/1470875300.html

Message 10 of 195
latest reply

I'm wondering if the next time I take a few days off, will the Part Time eBay Sellers Group still be here? wink emo.gif Anyone wanna guess?

Message 11 of 195
latest reply

....forgot to say that every time I see "Building a Better Online Community" I immediately think of building a "Better Mouse Trap"....somehow I think we are the mice!

Message 12 of 195
latest reply

It seems to be a cliffhanger.

Message 13 of 195
latest reply

Its been nice posting with you guys!! Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 195
latest reply

Not sure weather to laugh or cry....lol.....and dang, my picture is now a pizza box, so let me see if this one works!

Message 15 of 195
latest reply