cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay's Believe It or Not, Tales From the Field!

The Part Timers Forum used to have an on-going thread about posts that were odd/funny/stooopid/contained weird CS answers ~ or just generally considered silly or outrageous.  The OP of the thread was "the medic", so while the PT group is still kickin', I thought it would be fun to start another similar thread.

Readers, if you run across a post, comment, feedback, etc., that is "off the beaten path", please add it to this thread.  I read the community almost every day and will contribute when something catches my eye. Just something to break up the boredom of listing, revising, answering questions, and working around the eBay listing glitches Smiley Surprised ~ or waiting for something to sell Smiley SurprisedSmiley SadSmiley Surprised

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 1 of 277
latest reply
276 REPLIES 276

Hi hidy, I got it! Perhaps that troublesome kitty who likes to make purchases on eBay got a dog toy instead of a cat toy and needs help with a not as described case? 😅

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 76 of 277
latest reply

Okay, I'm steaming mad right now. Maybe seething is a better way to put it.

I have an affinity for sterling jewelry, which some may know, from a post I made on another thread. I also have a thing for watches.

So, in my world a watch with a sterling cuff band is awesome. So, I found one a little while back and for some reason, either I didn't make sure it made my watch list or the site glitched.

I started thinking about it tonight and wondered why I hadn't seen it come up for bid. I trolled my whole watch list, not there.

So I did a keyword word search, not there. Realized I blew it and must have missed it, so I switched over to completed/sold.

There it was. 😞 Even worse, the buyer got a smokin' deal. It was a Bulova watch, sterling band, with turquoise and pearl inlay and sold for less than $25!

So, I'm checking the seller feedback, when I see this:

"Nice Watch ~ Fast Shipping ~ BUT Shipping is Only $2.60 for 3oz pkg. NOT $3.99!"

It was a positive, but still! How ridiculous can you get. I have a feeling it was another seller. A casual buyer doesn't pay that close of attention to the rates, IMO.

Come on, it was a watch, a delicate item, that has to be packed carefully, not like something that could be tossed into an envelop and go. On top of it, the buyer got an unbelievable deal and the watch was working and no missing stones or anything, if someone may be wondering if there was a reason behind the low selling price, except for dummies like me not double checking before I moved on. 😭

Message 77 of 277
latest reply

Yup, savanna, it just amazes me that buyers can be so dense as to leave that kind of feedback when they purchased the widget knowing what the shipping charges were ~ no one twisted their arm to buy it ~ geesh!

...and speaking of silver jewelery, we are of like minds ~ at least you found what you were looking for even if you missed it ~ sorry about that!  I have an affinity for David Yurman and John Hardy pieces but the search returns so many fakes that it is almost useless to even look as I keep getting "looks like" ~ really annoying and for the life of me I can't figure out why eBay doesn't put a stop to those listings as they are losing out on a potential sale ~ OK, down off my soapbox and will return you to regular programming! 

Message 78 of 277
latest reply

Interesting title for a thread ~ the "title" box only has room for a certain number of words and on occasion, part of the title or word is cut off in mid stream making for an.....ahhh....completely different meaning: 

Buyer wants replacement stone that fell out of bra  

.....which should have read ~ Bracelet laughing emo.gif

Message 79 of 277
latest reply

Hidy I come across David Yurman on occasion that I would bet the farm is real. It's mostly out of my price range, so I'll pass along anything interesting.

I tire of the "looks like" listings too. I saw a seller get a truckload of looks like taken down, for which I was very happy not having that junk gumming up the works.

Then I see the stuff pop back up a couple of days later, but this time using "similar to." Grrr. Now, when they had it up as "looks like" I'm a little soft hearted thinking maybe they don't know, have seen others doing it and think it's within the rules.

Now, once they've been taken down once, then they know and my whole perspective changes. I have no qualms about reporting the violating listings, at that point.

Which I started to with the "similar to" weasel. Right when I was in the process of reporting I started getting error messages and eBay took down all the listings again, even though I had only reported a hand full. Possibly someone else got there before me, but zi like to think someone was on the ball enough to look at the rest of that sellers listings and see the massive and purposeful violations.

Message 80 of 277
latest reply

Hidy, did you ever get that bra with the replacement stone?  lol

A few years ago, someone mentioned on the fashion board a strange - photo listing.

There was a listing for a woman's top. 

In the photo, way in the back - there was a guy standing next to a tree - without his pants on.  

Butt shot.  

We think her listing had been hacked.  Just by looking at her sales, and other listings.

We all had a chuckle, but were happy it wasn't our listing.

Jean

Message 81 of 277
latest reply

Here's a good one from earlier this week.

Poster wonders why her listing was taken down. After all, she posted right in the item title that the item was a knock-off, she wasn't hiding the fact that it was counterfeit.

Message 82 of 277
latest reply

Oh gee, pre. I didn't see that one, but got involved with a similar situation awhile back. Items were bring taken down for search engine manipulation, for using like brand X and similar to brand X , in the titles and descriptions.

Swore they were just trying to save folks money, that not everyone could afford brand X. Phew.

Message 83 of 277
latest reply

Subject line for a new thread:

my eBay fees for last month were $117,258

First Reply:  Show Off!  laughing emo.gif

Nice to know that some sellers are doing well!

Message 84 of 277
latest reply

A couple of Subject Lines that made me laugh!

I have some pics of my balls for id but the pics are not that goodSmiley Surprised

Hi i am a new **bleep** seller lol

Message 85 of 277
latest reply

You can't make it up, hidy.

Some genius posted yesterday, because they had a faulty return where eBay sided with the buyer, now THEY are doing the same thing to other sellers. What a prize.

Message 86 of 277
latest reply

You guys can find this charmer mentioned above on page two of this thread, if it doesn't already labs you there. He's back with more pearls. 😠

http://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Ebay-is-allowing-someone-to-ruin-my-reputation/m-p/25963671#...

Message 87 of 277
latest reply

@savanna.dance wrote:
You guys can find this charmer mentioned above on page two of this thread, if it doesn't already labs you there. He's back with more pearls. 😠

http://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Ebay-is-allowing-someone-to-ruin-my-reputation/m-p/25963671#...

About this poster: Alan would say he's very passionate about this. I'd say he's a chip off the old byte.

"I'm gonna get my revenge by harming others who have nothing to do with my problem!".

Hell hath no fury like a computer nerd scorned.

Disclaimer: Statements may contain satire and sarcasm and should be considered nothing more than an attempt at humor. Any useful information is purely coincidence.
Message 88 of 277
latest reply

Finally!  A buyer that actually used a truthful reason for requesting a cancellation instead of the so often heard "my kid bought it"! 

"I shouldn't drink wine and eBay." laughing emo.gif Image result for wine smiley

Message 89 of 277
latest reply

^^^
New word tipsy-bid 😛

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 90 of 277
latest reply