cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay's Believe It or Not, Tales From the Field!

The Part Timers Forum used to have an on-going thread about posts that were odd/funny/stooopid/contained weird CS answers ~ or just generally considered silly or outrageous.  The OP of the thread was "the medic", so while the PT group is still kickin', I thought it would be fun to start another similar thread.

Readers, if you run across a post, comment, feedback, etc., that is "off the beaten path", please add it to this thread.  I read the community almost every day and will contribute when something catches my eye. Just something to break up the boredom of listing, revising, answering questions, and working around the eBay listing glitches Smiley Surprised ~ or waiting for something to sell Smiley SurprisedSmiley SadSmiley Surprised

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 1 of 277
latest reply
276 REPLIES 276

@hidy-hoo wrote:

An example of eBay's brilliant wording on an email sent to advertise eBay Sellers sales:

0% Off Hurry! Your watched item is now on sale.  RollingEyesSmiley5.gif

I've posted this in the selling forum before, but seems appropriate for this thread, too.

I purchased some yarn. It is a discontinued yarn and very difficult to find - the one I purchased was the first listing I had seen in at LEAST 6 months and I have an alert set up.

Received a promo e-mail from eBay just a couple of days after it arrived saying, "You must be running low on this item. Time to restock!" Then below that is an image of the yarn I purchased and when clicked through it took me to the same listing that I had already purchased the week earlier.

Pure genius.

Message 46 of 277
latest reply

Error msg people are getting using their own/the same computer: it looks like you are using a different computer, are you who you think you are

So I ask you: Are YOU who you think you are?

Message 47 of 277
latest reply

I think I'm more who I think I am and less what other people think I am.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 48 of 277
latest reply

@prefontained wrote:

Error msg people are getting using their own/the same computer: it looks like you are using a different computer, are you who you think you are

So I ask you: Are YOU who you think you are?

I'm Batman!

Err, ummm , I'm Spartacus!

Aw, heck ... what day is it?

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 49 of 277
latest reply

I am shopping for jewelry making supplies. I run across this toy Jewelry maker. I had just bought a bracelet making kit for My granddaughters made out of embroidery thread! I couldn't figure out one of the braiding instructions with a wheel.  So My eye was drawn to this item. I was thinking it might have some instructions or I could figure out something to do with the bracelets I couldn't figure out ! 

I open the item description.... there IS NO DESCRIPTION! 

The Seller says If you have any questions about an item we have listed, please feel free to email us. Make sure you ask questions.  We cannot be held responsible for an item you have received not being exactly what you were looking for. I am not an expert and I make no claims as to the accuracy of my descriptions.  I try to examine all the items carefully and will describe any defects found of significance.

Yes, Sir... If You don't add a description I guess You can't make any claims about how accurate they are!!!  If YOU DON'T add a description then I guess they are pretty accurate!  You MIGHT have examined them carefully BUT You didn't share What You found out! 

Then We cannot be held responsible for an item you have received not being exactly what you were looking for.  That statement takes the cake! I bet eBay would beg to differ with this Seller!

Spoiler
Cat Wink Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 50 of 277
latest reply

Since the community has so many problems sometimes I copy and paste My replies because I don't want to write it.

When I wrote this the first time,  I didn't spend too much time on it so I posted it...**bleep** it disappeared....I rewrote it and tried to post it a second time, but copied and pasted it so I'd have it. 

A screen came up and said!

eBay community is down for maintenance! 

I lost it again! I think well, I got it pasted to notepad so I will post it later......

I come back later, to post it and I get a message above the posting screen that says something like. 

You have a post auto saved would you like to use it or discard it?

I decide to use it and  the same one that disappeared.... shows up!!! shaking my head...

Well I guess eBay does have my back.....

Message 51 of 277
latest reply

@moonbloodstone wrote:

Well I guess eBay does have my back.....

Yes they do ... they keep it in a jar.

Message 52 of 277
latest reply

@moonbloodstone either you and I were looking at the same seller or those TOS blurbs are becoming boilerplate for some sellers.

I will carefully pour over a whole page of differently colored and sized font, in hopes of finding one word about the actual item being sold, usually to no avail.

I like (not) the sellers who add: we source from estate sales, auctions, etc etc and make no claims about authenticity a or usability of item. While they have such words as ANTIQUE, VICTORIAN ERA, ART DECO, etc is the item title.

So it's listed one way, but disclaimer in a mile long page of jibberjabber.

Message 53 of 277
latest reply

This one made me laugh out loud (doesn't take much! silly tongue emo.gif) ~ the brillance of eBay's Cassini search engine at work!

After searching for "Brooklyn Public Library" ebay suggests "used toilet paper" as a related search.  It seems to me that this has to be due to deliberate, malicious manipulation. Is there a another explanation?

Is there a way to have that suggested search removed?

Ebay's customer service doesn't seem to provide a method to contact them about such things.

ebay.PNG<<<<<<< laughing emo.gif
How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 54 of 277
latest reply

That was crazy. I love when people post stuff like that in chat.

Message 55 of 277
latest reply

hidy when you click the link for "used toilet paper" (yes I had to run the search and see if I got the same recommendation) it takes me to listings for used toilet paper tubes.

Since all kinds of kid crafts are done with these, I'm wondering if there is some correlation with summer programs offered for kids?

Check out Pinterest for a zillion craft recommendations using toilet paper rolls. Between the crafts for wine corks and those for toilet paper rolls, a person would become a alchie sitting on the toilet all day, to personally collect enough.

Didn't take eBay sellers long to figure out ^^^^ isn't the route most people will take to make a few handicrafts.

Message 56 of 277
latest reply

Sounds unsanitary to me! You know what they say about toothbrushes in the bathroom...toilet paper rolls are even closer! ick!

Message 57 of 277
latest reply

Hidy, I'd definitely post that one on the weakly 😉 Ask Griff what the heck the correlation is ... I'm curious to know what his answer would be.

And, maybe write a "Letter to the editor" (Ina) on ecommercebytes ... "this is why buyers can't find anything"!!!

I mean, really. Crafting with toilet paper ROLLS is one thing .... but USED TP is a completely different fetish .... EEEEEEEWWWWWW

Message 58 of 277
latest reply

That actually came from yesterday's chat. You can see his reply there...

Message 59 of 277
latest reply

Ah -- OK -- I'm a day 'off' this week because of the Holiday ... I forgot chat was yesterday 🙂

A general non-answer from Griff, as usual 😞

Message 60 of 277
latest reply