cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

wow...

$5200,00 in sales last month. Between Ebay and paypal they took $962.00. Thats 18%!! And you got to compete with other sellers that sell things for nothing. You cant raise prices or your not going to sell anything. And top raited seller is not possible anymore.

Every idiot filing claims cause the post office loses items UPS breaks items and the others trying to use there system to get there money back. And there is no way I can ship stuff within 24 hours.I have a life. With overhead supplies and ebays fees I took home a wopping 1000 bucks for the month.

Ebay would be good if I was shoplifting at walbarn getting stuff for free. But to buy and resell on the site is tuff with those kind of fees. I talked to a rep from ebay and he said thats how it is with a big corporate bussiness. Rob the poor to make them rich. You guys,girls that love paying the fees are crazy.

Yes you can rag on me for this comment. You think its great. I have had this happen before posting my comments on here. The funny thing is 6 months down the road I see these people are a non registered user. They probley could not afford to pay the ebay bill so Ebay booted them. I have also noticed as there fees go up you see less and less of the things you could find on the site just a few years ago.

And  what do you get out of paying them so much money. 2 hours on the phone fixing a bogus claim. Bad feedback for the shipping carriers fouling up deliveries after ebay decides in your favor. This week alone I have had 1 claim for feedback extortion they wanted a partial refund or more items sent or bad feed was going to be left and the post office losing a box. ill probley get neg feedback yet. And the shipping insurance is a joke. Pay 3-5 bucks a item for insurance all year for 1000 items 3-5000 bucks a year.

And they screw up 10 things a year 1000 bucks for me to replace the item v's paying the insurance. And you file a insurance claim with them is a bigger joke. 99.9% of the time they say insuffisant packaging. And thats bs on my end we pack stuff over and beyond.  

Paragraphs are our friends, so are punctuation and grammar,

but I didn't have the time to waste fixing that. 🙂

Message 121 of 438
latest reply

arslankiani
Enthusiast

eBay fees really SUX. These guys are frigging crazy. No more selling on ebay. A total ripoff

Message 122 of 438
latest reply

animalove_1
Enthusiast

I completely agree. It's a waste of time to try to sell and make money on ebay. The fees are way too high, the conversion rates through paypal are way too high and you can lose your money for a sale at any moment that some buyer abuses the system and files a claim for any bogus reason. Ebay will just refund the buyer right away and take the money from you, so they get the item for free.

I'm doing good selling on local sites for Free! I'll still use ebay to shop... if any buyers will still bother listing items that is. I think ebay's days are numbered. 

Message 123 of 438
latest reply

There are lots of good and accurate comments in this thread .

Those that have been around awhile are comparing todays ebay to the ebay 5-10 years ago. Back then fees were lower ,there were less sellers ,shipping was cheaper and sellers weren't punished when they ripped off buyers. It was easier to make money back then.

Ebay has evolved and there are a lot more sellers and it has become a real job to find items that you can make a decent profit with. lots of sellers will never find their niche, hence all the posts about this topic.

No one likes fee hikes but there isn't a thing you can do about it as it's not very likely that fees will go down.If the fees are too high for your liking ,quit selling .

I think I  am probably the only one that finds it ironic that sellers complain about greed when I see sellers regularly listitems with a 500-2500 % mark up .

I don't do normal.......
Message 124 of 438
latest reply

Do you have a 100 thousand viewing your items ?

Message 125 of 438
latest reply

I don't like the high fees either, but paying them is a lot better than getting a "no sale" on Craigslist, which is usually the case. Just saying.........

Message 126 of 438
latest reply

Ebay will be around when all the others go away. The Reason? Results.

Message 127 of 438
latest reply

I am not a big fan of Ebay as a seller, but as a Buyer, I am like a little kid in 1962 looking at the Sears Christmas catalog. Or like a mosquito at an obese persons nudist camp. Something like that, its all good anyway. Just saying.......

Message 128 of 438
latest reply

mmw22
Enthusiast

Your auction house is ripping you off! 35%?

Message 129 of 438
latest reply

Yeah I stopped selling on here the second I realised that Ebay walks away from the auction with more profit than me. If I sell an item for £5 which cost me £3.50 to buy Ebay + Paypal (Ebay company) will walk away with £1.10 and I'll only get 50p and that doesn't even include p&p. Now Ebay would be the very very last place I'd go to sell stuff.

Message 130 of 438
latest reply

i agree that the fees are somewhat crazy especically the fees for postage that you are cahrged by ebay and paypal, those are tahe fees that drive me crazy, this is making it that you have to charge a little more for postage to cover the fees

Message 131 of 438
latest reply

i agree with your assessment to a point the greedyness comes from them going international and the costs for that are high and now they have to worry about stockholders which i am one about the bottom line more, i do agree they are making it harder for the smaller sellers to make a nice profit on their items fees especially a postal fee is somehat out of hand

Message 132 of 438
latest reply

Maddog1273, I couldn't agree more with your gripe...I recently sold $780 worth of audio components on Ebay and they charged me $92 in fees?!!!  That equates to about 12%.  I couldn't believe it when I saw my bill!!  This is the last time I'm selling ANY audio equipment on Ebay. Ebay has gotten waaaaay too big and expensive for the small-time seller (aka "me").

Message 133 of 438
latest reply

@yurkjaz wrote:

I don't care how long it takes me to sell on those other sites, either.

So, you would rather have 100% of nothing,

as opposed to 88% of a $780 sale? Really?

Message 134 of 438
latest reply

16% + Vat is not 35%..... Seller pays only 5%....Buyer pays 16%,, Thats in all auctions

Message 135 of 438
latest reply