cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Stef, when he got irritating, I just whipped out my 'automobile' horn and hit the button!

Happy Sales To You!.....Until We Sell Again!
Message 46 of 438
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker
I just whipped out my 'automobile' horn and hit the button!

I just whipped out my mouse and hit the 'ignore' button... bluemoon eclipsed.
Message 47 of 438
latest reply

Whenever listing items, you should always do the math.
Message 48 of 438
latest reply

I understand they are too expensive but I didn't see an invoice for Jan. and I just got hit $187.98.It hurts when you are struggling but there is no alternative to Ebay and they have the biggest captive audience. These seller fees are a bit over priced.It's like they are the mafia and you have no other choice but to pay.
Message 49 of 438
latest reply

Lost my job, have some savings and decided to buy and sell from home!  Absolutely gutted to see that after opening an Ebay store, Ebay still want 13.5% of the final price in final value fees, listing fees and Paypal.

How much margin do they think small businesses make in this competitive environment.  On this basis I'm left with about 7% after doing all the work and products aren't flying off the shelves.

I spend 10 years in corp leadership and unfortunately few large enterprises are visionary enough to see that they're charges should be proportionate the value added.

Bottom line is that any business whose prices / charges way outstrip the value they add only stay dominant untill they have serious competition.  Shame!  Because I love ebay otherwise having bought and sold on Ebay for about 8 years 😞

Message 50 of 438
latest reply

nathanrobo : First I want to say that I sympathize with your unfortunate situation of losing your job.

Top Ten Auction Websites review:

Summary:

We found eBay to be the largest, most well-known, organized and comprehensive online auction service available. Often, it is the first place people go when shopping for auction products. There wasn't anything we couldn’t find on eBay. Although eBay may be the highest priced auction we reviewed, we also found they have the highest exposure and membership. With eBay, you’re getting more bang for your buck. eBay is THE name in online auctions, and for good reason. eBay has the most complete lineup of features for buyers and sellers alike.

eBay/PayPal fees are approximately 16% which leaves you 84% to buy and then sell world wide for a profit!  As top Ten Auction reviews said eBay give all of us the biggest bang for our dollar. Perhaps you need to seek out another line of merchandise that would give you the profit margin that you are looking for. Good luck!

...............................................................................................

"The more you take responsibility for your past and present, the more you are able to create the future you seek."  Author Unknown

Message 51 of 438
latest reply

In my opinion i think ebay is a bunch of thieves. So far i have paid 12 dollars in fee's just trying to sell my droid x2. I have not sold it. Why should i have to give them 12 dollars?

The pictures i've uploaded are so small and it probably costs them less than a penny to host my listing. Why doesn't facebook charge fees to host pictures?

Why does ebay get 10 percent on top of that? They do nothing but host a website. If you sell something for 300 dollars they get about 24 dollars. Why?

If they cut all their prices in half they would still be thieves.

Message 52 of 438
latest reply

."Ebay still want 13.5% of the final price in final value fees, listing fees and Paypal
.eBay is like Push-me/Pull-me. On one side you have Sales & Profit....on the other....eBay & PayPal fees...

.How the scale balances is directly related to your business model.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 53 of 438
latest reply

computermaker42: What world do you live in? 100 million approximate registered users and including all eBay's different businesses they are averaging 15.1% profit. Definitely greedy? And you who has when considering eBay/PayPal fees about 84% of every dollar to make a decent profit and be able to sell world wide! Now who is being the greedy one?

................................................................................................

Top Ten Auction Websites review:

Summary:

We found eBay to be the largest, most well-known, organized and comprehensive online auction service available. Often, it is the first place people go when shopping for auction products. There wasn’t anything we couldn’t find on eBay. Although eBay may be the highest priced auction we reviewed, we also found they have the highest exposure and membership. With eBay, you’re getting more bang for your buck. eBay is THE name in online auctions, and for good reason. eBay has the most complete lineup of features for buyers and sellers alike.

................................................................................................

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit.

There's no point in being a damn fool about it." W. C. Fields

Message 54 of 438
latest reply

In my opinion i think ebay is a bunch of thieves. So far i have paid 12 dollars in fee's just trying to sell my droid x2. I have not sold it. Why should i have to give them 12 dollars?

The pictures i've uploaded are so small and it probably costs them less than a penny to host my listing. Why doesn't facebook charge fees to host pictures?

Why does ebay get 10 percent on top of that? They do nothing but host a website. If you sell something for 300 dollars they get about 24 dollars. Why?

If they cut all their prices in half they would still be thieves.

Hi ComputerMaker and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

While I firmly believe you won't accept constructive criticism I'm game to offer it as the author is so much smarter than you or I.

In reviewing your recent auctions> http://www.ebay.com/csc/computermaker42/m.html?_clu=2&_dlg=1&_ipg=50&_fsct=&LH_Complete=1 I belive you should listen to Albert eEnstein> http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26032.html

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 55 of 438
latest reply

Nice Honda....

computermaker: I believe the suggestion is that you change at least one of the following: your picture, your price, or your description.

As for paying $12 for an unsold item.. that really blows.

Since you're listing that thing pretty much every 18 hours, here's a thought - stop using buy it now!

I'm sure more helpful information is available, should you choose to use it, and make some money for your next gear.

If you "collect" things, and you are not a part time ebay seller, well... you're just a hoarder.
Message 56 of 438
latest reply

Dude, you want way too much for that phone.  Have you look at completed listing and avg out the price.  With that price you're just wasting your money on listing fees.

Message 57 of 438
latest reply

I'm confused, which 5?

http://www.ebay.com/csc/valedictorian/m.html?rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_fln=1&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3911.c0.m2...

This is my buying ID. I have used it on & off for years as a posting ID.

Just a head's up. Don't want anyone getting their undies in a bunch over my doing so.
Message 58 of 438
latest reply

r_betts
Enthusiast

I have just sold my last item on ebay. After insertion fees's I they took 13.4% of my sales including the postage value. I always charge the exact amount for postage to be fair to buyers only to have Ebay rip me off.

Ebay, get back to your roots and support the guys that got you where you are today, the private sellers.

If you a private seller lets see free insertion and 5% including PayPal transactions you force us to use!

Message 59 of 438
latest reply

I went to an auction last night, and spent about $30. Knowing that auction company, the original owners got $24 of that. Because I'm in a small market, and there were only about 100 people there, I got quite a bit for my $30. Now I'm going to offer it to sell all across the United States and Canada on ebay for..... well, a quite a bit more than $30, and then pay ebay 9% for doing so (not 12%, not 15%, not 21% - 9%). Not a bad gig. 😄

If you "collect" things, and you are not a part time ebay seller, well... you're just a hoarder.
Message 60 of 438
latest reply