cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Any of you tried webstore.com?  They generate revenue through banner ads, and don't have seller fees. Not as much traffic yet, but it might be a good alternative, especially for those of us who are just trying to do a little better than a yard sale.  I tried that here on ebay, but between shipping and fees, I would have made about the same had I just taken my stuff to a pawn shop, and with considerably less hassle. 

The fees might be okay for those of you who are running a consistent business, but NOT for those of us who are just trying to make a little extra by getting rid of some of our old stuff.

Message 136 of 438
latest reply

Never again Ebay. Between ebay and paypal its ridiculous. I call it gouging.

Message 137 of 438
latest reply

What's a better alternative with the same traffic?

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 138 of 438
latest reply

@mmueller9 wrote:

Never again Ebay. Between ebay and paypal its ridiculous. I call it gouging.

I call it selling. Stop back after you've sold elsewhere...ZOMBIE Alert!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 139 of 438
latest reply

@hondamedic wrote:

I call it selling. Stop back after you've sold elsewhere...ZOMBIE Alert!

Correction: 

I call it selling. Stop back after you've seen your items unsold elsewhere...ZOMBIE Alert!

Message 140 of 438
latest reply

I recently ran into someone who lives here locally in my town who has been selling on eBay along with her sister. I had mentioned how I was kind of reluctant to sell my Garlic on eBay because of all the problems I was reading about on these forums.

The woman looked at me like I was out of my mind. Told me she didn't sell much on eBay any more as she was working a full time job now but that her sister was still doing great, just buying stuff at yard sales and selling it on eBay. She seemed genuinely thrilled about it and said her sister was doing really well. She didn't seem to understand my aprehension.

Meeting someone personally who seemed genuinely enthusiastic about eBay, saying how wonderful it was for her and her sister and all, Well, lets just say it tipped the scales for me as far as giving it a try again or not.

So far I have no complaints about the results.

Message 141 of 438
latest reply

I question the larger audience part of Ebay. I have been on here over 8 years and selling has gotten harder and harder . There are so many businesses out there that the single sale or seller has to compete with. This was ,I thought, a site to help the average person sell their used or new things on, not big businesses to sell cheaply. Then they r also the top sellers so they get extra chances  to have there listings come up ahead of yours or to get better recognition.

I only sell certain times of the year because I didn't want to pay the fees for continually relishing items when Ebay did NOT have the first 50  free listings a month. Then ontop of that Ebay bought Paypal so they make money off both Ebay insertion fees (which went up over the years), final value fees and Paypal. Now final value fees on shipping too??? I just don't recall getting charged on postal charges that I  don't keep as income, profit, etc. Why are we having  taxed more of our "sale" by outside charges that we don't get to keep?

Message 142 of 438
latest reply

I also have a problem with the anti-seller policies. Seems the small seller can easily get screwed over because someone thinks their item  is " not as described " when really something was removed, damaged or perceived to be on it, in it , included with it, etc.... And now Ebay not only wants to give their money back from you but also the shipping!!!! I get taxed on shipping and get money from my account  given for return shipping and I don't even make  or get money from shipping. The post office does!!!

Message 143 of 438
latest reply

The pathetic part of all of this is the fact that Ebay doesn't give a **bleep** about any of us. Not you, not me, not anybody. The bottom line is the almighty dollar. I'm getting sick of selling one or two items in a month and getting absolutely raped at the end of that month with fees that could choke an elephant. You people running this site should be ashamed. 

There's a reason it's called "FEEbay". You're all a bunch of thieves. Nothing but greedy thieves the lot of you.

Message 144 of 438
latest reply

Agreed. I sold my laptop last month for just under $600 and they took $70. After playing with the fee calculator I noticed that they even took a the % on the shipping fee! I was expecting to pay about $40.

This would not be a big deal except the original winner didn't pay so I did a second chance offer. So for a few weeks it was showing $140 owing.

I won't sell on Ebay ever again. 15% including PayPal fees and on top of that I couldn't leave feedback for the non-paying bidder.

The ebay selling experience has gone down terribly. I will be selling elsewhere.

Message 145 of 438
latest reply

I was expecting to pay about $40

Then you didn't check the fee structure before you listed.

the original winner didn't pay so I did a second chance offer.

Did you close the case....was a case even opened.....do you even know what a case is ?

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 146 of 438
latest reply

@sourcespin wrote:

Agreed. I sold my laptop last month for just under $600 and they took $70. After playing with the fee calculator I noticed that they even took a the % on the shipping fee! I was expecting to pay about $40.

This would not be a big deal except the original winner didn't pay so I did a second chance offer. So for a few weeks it was showing $140 owing.

I won't sell on Ebay ever again. 15% including PayPal fees and on top of that I couldn't leave feedback for the non-paying bidder.

The ebay selling experience has gone down terribly. I will be selling elsewhere.

Bye-Bye

Good luck elsewhere!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 147 of 438
latest reply

The fact that Ebay shares fees on shipping is ridiculous. Now I get to lose $ on shipping or have people get angry they paid $5 more than it cost.

I have to thank Ebay though, my own store is thriving I never would have built my own estore if Ebay hadnt of gotton so greedy. Several years ago I started and now I do 90% on my own and local. Ebay sees very little of my product anymore. Paypal lost too as I handle credit cards myself on my store. I pay less in fees and have all the control. Never would have done it without Ebays encouragement.

Fraud is also way lower on my own. The credit card companys handle claims much better. They know the scams and they punish scammers. Paypal just forks over refunds. I find Ebay is a haven for dishonest people on both sides of the transaction. They cant pull those tricks with their own bank/credit card co's or they will be labelled and banished pretty quick.

Message 148 of 438
latest reply

I think it is rediculous that ebay charges 10% on the shipping cost, Im not making anything on it the post office is even if you m trying to unload **bleep** Im not making anything on it Im selling my things to survive and put food on my table for my kids and these whores that run ebay took 17% average on a total of 5 sales, they actually made more than I did! That commie that started ebay should be real happy and we should all boycott ebay for being worse than a slum landlord! Enough is enough, auction houses may get 35% but they do all the work, ebay does nothing except provide a forum run from Asia and the help you get if there is a problem is non existant. I had my paypal account broken into by some scum from another country they got $3500 and I got nothing, paypal doesnt do anything and should get nothing for it hell they are owned by Ebay

What more do they want? Who wants to deal with the bull**bleep** here, Ebay used to be nice now it is a platform for bull**bleep** and most of the items here you have to read the listings very carefully becaise I have had 11 people try to rip me off in the past few months alone the platform here is now a bunch of sleezebags trying to unload **bleep** that doesnt work at all for top dollar, the people are all just liars for the most part now.

Giid lick to all and remember Boycott ebay they are theives and dont buy from DNA Motoring the parts are worthless! Nothing fits, or works you buy from them and ebay lets them do whatever they want

Message 149 of 438
latest reply

@sclptr721 wrote:

Im not making anything on it Im selling my things to survive and put food on my table for my kids

I had my paypal account broken into by some scum from another country they got $3500 and I got nothing, 

How could you have had over 3 grand in your PayPal account with sales like this?> http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sclptr721&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller And if you did why didn't you take it out to feed your family?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Message 150 of 438
latest reply