cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

mbc64
Adventurer
I now find things on Amazon that are less expensive than on ebay. As for selling on ebay, I'm done. It is not worth it anymore. Goodbye ebay.
Message 361 of 438
latest reply

eBay has taken their position of power and has now placed greed at the forefront of their business practice. I just sold an small item and lost money due to fees. That in conjunction with the horrible treatment of sellers and I'm out. See ya eBay.

Message 362 of 438
latest reply

I started to post the fees outcome that a sale will generate on my listings. Doing so buyers finally get aware of where their money is going. I believe 100% of buyers that never listed anything for sale don't even know sellers are paying any fee at all.

Message 364 of 438
latest reply

10% charge to sell an item? and on top there is paypal charge as well? are you serious ebay? I don't think I want to sell in ebay anymore. good bye ebay.

Message 365 of 438
latest reply

"10% charge to sell an item? and on top there is paypal charge as well? are you serious ebay? I don't think I want to sell in ebay anymore. good bye ebay."

Fees haven't changed in about 5 years. Bye.
Message 366 of 438
latest reply

wow. only realised now how abhorrently expensive ebay has become. i am actually shocked. i sold something for 1000$ and paid 100$ fees + paypal fee. can't believe how they are abusing their monopoly. i used to love ebay 😞

anyway i will give ebid.com a shot. at least they are still at 3%, where ebay used to be and what seems about fair.

Message 367 of 438
latest reply

this may help, or at least give you an idea...

http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator

Message 368 of 438
latest reply

@knecht_r wrote:

wow. only realised now how abhorrently expensive ebay has become. i am actually shocked. i sold something for 1000$ and paid 100$ fees + paypal fee. can't believe how they are abusing their monopoly. i used to love ebay 😞

anyway i will give ebid.com a shot. at least they are still at 3%, where ebay used to be and what seems about fair.

This thread is 6+ years old ... and seller fees are not hidden. As soon as you list an item, before you hit "List this Item", it tells you that you will be charged a Final Value Fee.

eBay fees for non-store sellers have not changed since 2013 ... the fee used to be tiered (the higher the price, the higher the fee)   ... now it is a flat 10% (for non-stores) with a cap of $750

When this post was new in 2010 ... the wayback machine shows that there were NO free listings ... and that your fees on that $1000 Fixed Price item would certainly not have been 3%

Chrome Legacy Window 1082016 95137 AM.jpg

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!! - The eBay Community - Waterfox 1082016 92305 AM.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 369 of 438
latest reply

Yeah the fees are ridiculous.  I just sold something for the first time in years and was horrified.  Never using this site again.

Message 370 of 438
latest reply

I walked into a diner yesterday and ordered a cup of coffee.

I was shocked and horrified at the price, I tell ya!

Whatever happened to a 10¢ cup of Joe??? Huh????

<\end sarcasm>

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 371 of 438
latest reply

Yep, made the same mistake.  Never again.  Goodbye ebay.  

Message 372 of 438
latest reply

Had you gotten that same $600 sale at a real auction house you would think just the opposite.

Good luck 

Message 373 of 438
latest reply

Hasn't eBay had the same, fee schedule for five years now? Isn't it publicly viewable? Am I missing something?

Without a store 10% flat, total cost. If potential sellers were going to come and read here before the fact, I would advise to look at the fee schedule for pricey items with a store subscription. For some items, the smart money is to pay for a one month store subscription and get the much lower final value fee.

Homework never hurts. Especially when money is involved.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 374 of 438
latest reply

Ebay has become a big, bloated, top heavy, thirsty company like all the early 21st century .com boomers have, it stopped listening to its customers a long time ago in favour of its share-holders.

They perform massive tax avoidance by manipulating profit figures and funnel money through their sister companies in tax havens such as Luxembourg in order to pay as little tax as possible and yet have the audacity to impose their own increasingly high tax rates on their customers. I wonder if they have ever heard of the expression "Don't bite the hand that feeds you", I guess not. 

I've really seen a transition in the past few years to private sales on forums or face to face, especially in the watch/jewelry industry. Ebay started off good but like all large companies, greed and pressure from investors sets in and eventually the profits are all that end up mattering.

I really don't understand why and how there are so many people who are so content with Ebay's increasingly pro buyer policies and extortionate rates. I can only assume that these people are being paid off by Ebay because I now do absolutely everything possible to not sell anything on Ebay unless I have no choice.

Ebay still is king for now, but ignoring constructive criticism from customers is exactly what Yahoo did and look how that turned out. Ebay's failure to listen to customers is becoming increasingly apparent and the frustration amongst sellers will eventually push sellers to another platform.

Message 375 of 438
latest reply