cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

I just sold something on ebay and it is the last thing I sell on ebay, they charge 10% of your final sale amount plus listing fee. I have been a member of eBay for years and liked it but now since their prices are so dang high, I will take my chances elsewhere to sell my items. Now I know why some people are making their shipping prices rediculous because they are adding shipping, handling, & listing fees all together.
Message 346 of 438
latest reply

Your career feedback as a seller is 88.9%, so I thank you for looking elsewhere.
Message 347 of 438
latest reply

@argon-4 wrote:
Your career feedback as a seller is 88.9%, so I thank you for looking elsewhere.

The original poster (OP) started the thread in the year of 2010, last post (with that id) 2013.

This is getting well.......

I know I just bumped this with responding, sorry, but jciydflizudyfr;lNASmiley Frustrated

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 348 of 438
latest reply

"The original poster (OP) started the thread in the year of 2010, last post (with that id) 2013."

This topic will live forever. And I was responding to the person who posted immediately before me.
Message 349 of 438
latest reply

@argon-4 wrote:
"The original poster (OP) started the thread in the year of 2010, last post (with that id) 2013."

This topic will live forever. And I was responding to the person who posted immediately before me.

Are you using a mobile app?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 350 of 438
latest reply

I understand! They are starting to take ALL my profit and the volume sales are going straight down. More customers are asking to purchase items for a quarter of the asking price as well as free shipping. In the end it is costing more to sell than profit!

Message 351 of 438
latest reply

Yea i notice when i buy it now cheeper to go to the store the buy on ebay when i do sale i go on Craigslist its cheeper hell its free ebay is my last resort to sale stuff
Message 352 of 438
latest reply

How is anyone supposed to actually make a profit if ebay is taking 10%? A decent profit on an item would be 15% so ebay is taking 2/3 of it. On many items there isn't even enough room to make enough profit to pay ebay. I would end up at a loss if I sold some things on here.
It just seems like ebay would profit more in the long run if they made that percentage lower. More people would use their service, and what is it costing them to have someone post a listing? At these prices I think they will end up losing a BUNCH of potential customers.
Message 353 of 438
latest reply

I just sold a few cheap phones and my fee was $32.50 not to mention the paypal fee as well. Then I have to spend money shipping too. If I include shipping in the aunction, they charge you % for shipping too. I'm literally losing money. Whats the point.

Message 354 of 438
latest reply

"How is anyone supposed to actually make a profit if ebay is taking 10%? A decent profit on an item would be 15% "

For me, a decent profit is at least 50%, AFTER eBay and Paypal take their cut. 15% before ebay and Paypal fees won't even net you minimum wage. Even if ebay cut their fees in half, your net is way below what you need to make it worth your time.
Message 355 of 438
latest reply

Yes any item listed in Australia for $4 to 4.50 is not worth listing anymore as the postage cost is usually $2 and then fees taken out it becomes a waste of time. Items such as books, CDs, DVDs, Blue Rays is a waste of time these days thanks to Austalia Post and Ebay and Paypals greed...Talk about slitting your own throat !

@heywood654 wrote:
"How is anyone supposed to actually make a profit if ebay is taking 10%? A decent profit on an item would be 15% "

For me, a decent profit is at least 50%, AFTER eBay and Paypal take their cut. 15% before ebay and Paypal fees won't even net you minimum wage. Even if ebay cut their fees in half, your net is way below what you need to make it worth your time.

Message 356 of 438
latest reply

You get charged a fee for shipping no matter what, with calculated shipping and free shipping. There are more benefits to using free shipping, always use free shipping when ever possible. I'm not sure if they have fees on International shipping, If I remember correctly they don't.

Ebay did this because sellers where selling items for .99 cents with the price of the item in the shipping cost.

This was an item I sold back in December that had calculated shipping:

Message 357 of 438
latest reply

I agree with all complaints.  I will be cancelling my account as soon as they take the last 4.50 for a $20. item.  And, I do not think it is fair to charge .30 each for 10 pieces of sheet music...and for items that did not sell anyway (sheet music).  Better to sell locally on kijiji...even if they don't sell it does not cost anything.  Such a scam this site is becoming.

Message 358 of 438
latest reply

eBay sucks for buyers as much as sellers. Craigslist and all the others too anymore. You used to be able to buy used items for a great price and that was the appeal. Now, it's as though you pay slightly less than retail. What is THAT about??

Message 359 of 438
latest reply

eBay then   -   Auctions   -    Buyer determined price  -  great deals.

eBay now   -  Binatorium  -   Seller determines price  -  very few great deals.

There are still great items on eBay, you just have to be willing to hunt for them.

Message 360 of 438
latest reply