cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

Who wants 2000 $ ??

Someone who already registered your name with .com .

That's an old way to make money for nothing..& yer chicks for free !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 256 of 438
latest reply

Correct!

Some American owns it.

I simply replied with ROFL.

Though I am sure something will turn up at somepoint.  Or I need to think of another domain name and .com that.

Message 257 of 438
latest reply

Yesterday and today it says the domainis for sale.Not sure if it will go through,but this is what it's showing.

zauctions.com

zauctions.com/

The domain zauctions.com is for sale

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 258 of 438
latest reply

That's the folks that want $2,000.

I replied with 'ROFL' and offered $50, and they would make about 500% profit on that, possibly more.

Message 259 of 438
latest reply

Hi folks!

Try: dontebay.com for further chat...
Message 260 of 438
latest reply

So, 'zauctions.com is $2,000.

What about either:-

uszauctions.com

or

us-zauctions.com

???

Message 261 of 438
latest reply

EBAY always was too expensive specially for private sellers.

THEY ARE TOO GREEDY GOB**bleep**S TO MAKE A FEES LITTLE BIT DOWN!!

Hopefully we have another domestic portals where we can sell something and avoid to make a rich people like ebay on our costs.

AVOID EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 262 of 438
latest reply

zauctions.co.UK!!!
Message 263 of 438
latest reply

I've been on eBay since the year 2000.  I just started selling this year.  And I'm... amazed at how it has evolved, price wise.  It's mind boggling how much money eBay extracts from sellers.  I was hoping that perhaps with the spin off of PayPal back to an independent company, that the implicit "fee advantage" disappearing will cause the model to change a little more in the buyer's favor.

However...

eBay can be the king of auctions only for so long.  Amazon... Jeff Bezos has plans, you know.   Smiley Wink

Message 264 of 438
latest reply

That's exactly why I'm going to stop selling on eBay. They charge so much it's ridiculous. Let me break it down. eBay fees per sale: 2.9% +$0.30 of total sale. Insertion/listing fee $0.30 or up to $2.00 for advanced listing/reserve price setting. PayPal fees per sale 2.9% +$0.30 (looks like the same plan as eBay "PayPal is owned by eBay"). Not to mention on top of all these fees are shipping prices and the boxes and material. Thank Uncle Sam theres no tax fees. Are you a financial institution? Why so many bills? And the thing that I hate most is that on top of ALL the fees of fantastic eBay and Paypal and USPS, UPS, or FedEx, eBay has the right to charge you a monthly fee of like $20.00 even if you don't sell or sell items. I think I and you and we, pay more fees than we sell for profit. Wait did I say profit. Yeah if you want to make 10%. Its better to start your own website and build your own company then for eBay to steal I mean take all your profits and proceeds. Who here reading this agrees with me? I thought so. Thanks guys and have a great day!

Message 265 of 438
latest reply

ultimatetech14 wrote:

Let me break it down. eBay fees per sale: 2.9% +$0.30 of total sale.

Wrong FVFs are 4% to 10% of the total sale (item+shipping) depending on the catagory, whether or not you have a store, and if you are TRS or not.

Insertion/listing fee $0.30 or up to $2.00 for advanced listing/reserve price setting.

This is correct. When you run out of free listings, you are charged for any more listings.

Why are you paying for any "upgrades" ... most of them are useless.

No need for a reserve - just start the bidding at the lowest amount that you want for your item.

PayPal fees per sale 2.9% +$0.30 (looks like the same plan as eBay "PayPal is owned by eBay").

This is correct.....but NOT the same as eBay's fees.

Not to mention on top of all these fees are shipping prices and the boxes and material.

This is normal business expense for any "mail order" or "ecommerce" business. The customer pays for shipping - I pay the carrier.  I get most of my boxes for free (recycled or USPS Priority from the PO).

Thank Uncle Sam theres no tax fees.

You do have to pay taxes on your income ... no matter where it comes from.

And the thing that I hate most is that on top of ALL the fees of fantastic eBay and Paypal and USPS, UPS, or FedEx, eBay has the right to charge you a monthly fee of like $20.00 even if you don't sell or sell items.

This is just dead wrong...There are no monthly fees for non-store sellers.  Store subscribers pay a monthly fee, and there may be monthly fees for certain "applications" that you choose to subscribe to.

I think I and you and we, pay more fees than we sell for profit. Wait did I say profit. Yeah if you want to make 10%. Its better to start your own website and build your own company then for eBay to steal I mean take all your profits and proceeds. Who here reading this agrees with me? I thought so. Thanks guys and have a great day!

eBay is not "stealing" ... you agreed to all the fees and rules when you hit the "I Agree" button on the "I have read and understand all of the Terms and Conditions of the User Agreement" when you first signed up, and then with any other changes to the UA afterwords.

Your profit is made when you acquire your inventory, you collect it when it sells.

Business 101 -- Research what your costs will be before purchasing your inventory. Know what the market average is for your product. If you can't make a profit on the inventory ... don't purchase it.

eBay does a lot of trumpeting about "Easy as 1-2-3" for new sellers....It's not ...It's business ... business has expenses.

Starting your own website and building your own company will have different expenses .... TNSTAAFL

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 266 of 438
latest reply

Welcome to the part time sellers group, ultimate!

Yes, ebay final value fees are worse than what you think - penguins broke it down for you.

When you bought all those iphone cases, I guess you didn't know that that are a gazillion chinese ebay sellers selling the same ones starting at .01 with free shipping. You are never going to unload them on ebay for a profit. And yes, if you buy stuff for resale it is an online business and Uncle Sam wants taxes paid on the profit.

Looks like you might do OK on the airsoft accessories, except you got a negative from a buyer who said the package was empty. In that case you can ask the buyer to take a photo and put a claim in through USPS if it was sent priority, because USPS has $50 free insurance on priority mail. The listing said standard mail, though -

@ultimatetech14 wrote:

..... Its better to start your own website and build your own company then for eBay to steal I mean take all your profits and proceeds. Who here reading this agrees with me? I thought so. Thanks guys and have a great day!

Erm, no, I can only imagine the timesuck and hair-pulling of building my own website. I'll pay ebay fees, TYVM. I am not happy to pay fees on shipping, but it is what it is. The heavier stuff, I am no longer selling on ebay.

Looks like you are a new seller. For me, the most difficult part was learning to weigh & pack items, also to learn post office tips & tricks before I listed, so I didn't undercharge on shipping and have to make up the difference out of pocket.

There have been times when ebay transactions have made me upset, and I've taken a break from selling. Good luck to you!

Message 267 of 438
latest reply

I didn't ask for your opinion. But come on eBay fees are a little expensive. There is just too much competition with little profit. Why sell something when you only make less than 50% of profit because the other 50%+ goes to expenses
Message 268 of 438
latest reply

Here's two great examples:

Selling on eBay: $5.00 item 

-$0.25 (cost of item)

-$2.50 shipping

-$1.50 fees 

Profit: $0.75

Selling on your   $10.00 item (same item but can sell double the price than on eBay)

own website:     -$0.25 (cost of item)

-$2.50 shipping

NO FEES

Profit: $7.25 

Message 269 of 438
latest reply

eBay is good for only selling products at a high price. It's not that good for selling low-priced cheap products. 

Message 270 of 438
latest reply