cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my Parcel Select package not show tracking or even accepted? I made them scan it USPS

I made them scan it with the handheld terminal and it prints a reciept. It has a tracking number but all it says is "Label Created." Not Arrived, Not Accepted, Not Anything. Like I didnt even take it in. I am worried. And how does everyone deal with the Post Office not wanting to scan their prepaid packages? I encourage ALL to contact ebay about it. We need to speak up! PLEASE cal and tell ebay!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Why does my Parcel Select package not show tracking or even accepted? I made them scan it USPS

Welcome to the part time sellers board, newthoughtbooks!

Erm, I don't see what calling ebay would do. They can't control carriers scanning or not scanning packages, can they?

Some larger packages, I drop at the post office on the way to work in the afternoon. If the line is short, I will wait for a counter acceptance scan.

My regular carrier, I am home a lot when he delivers. I've explained about ebay sellers needing the acceptance scan to block bad ratings on handling time. He'll do it for me if I meet his truck & ask him.  He said a lot of the old timers do not like to do it since they never did for years, and they are resistant to change. It was delivery confirmation (not tracking) for years, and they don't like the extra work.

Alas, my regular carrier has a lot of time in the job and lucky him, a lot of time off. The temp carrier never scans and quite a few times, especially now around Christmas, it hasn't been scanned until the next day around 1 or 2am. 

Anyway, back to you. When did you take it in? Did you specifically ask them for an acceptance scan?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@kansas_gal06 wrote:

Welcome to the part time sellers board, newthoughtbooks!

Erm, I don't see what calling ebay would do. They can't control carriers scanning or not scanning packages, can they?

Some larger packages, I drop at the post office on the way to work in the afternoon. If the line is short, I will wait for a counter acceptance scan.

My regular carrier, I am home a lot when he delivers. I've explained about ebay sellers needing the acceptance scan to block bad ratings on handling time. He'll do it for me if I meet his truck & ask him.  He said a lot of the old timers do not like to do it since they never did for years, and they are resistant to change. It was delivery confirmation (not tracking) for years, and they don't like the extra work.

Alas, my regular carrier has a lot of time in the job and lucky him, a lot of time off. The temp carrier never scans and quite a few times, especially now around Christmas, it hasn't been scanned until the next day around 1 or 2am. 

Anyway, back to you. When did you take it in? Did you specifically ask them for an acceptance scan?

After 15 years, we get five weeks of vacation. I am on vacation right now, but not really doing anything fun. I have about 120 hours banked on top of my five weeks. I am sure one of the new subs is carrying my route and making a mess of things, but I did train them to scan every parcel. I am the on the job instructor at my Post Office.

Anyway, you might want to leave a note saying "Please scan outgoing parcels as "Prepaid Acceptance."  

This is something they are not properly training new employees to do and in many offices, they are not putting much effort into getting the word out to "old timers."

Another thing you can do is request a carrier pick up -- that creates a manifest for your parcels and give the carrier a sheet that MUST be scanned. The sheet tells the carrier how many parcels and the total weight of all the parcels. You must have at least one Priority Mail parcel to have the pick up, but I think it still gets all the tracking numbers as long as you combine them. I have not actually done this myself, but I have three customers on my route that do it and have not complained about missing scans. 

As for the OP, I would be patient. If they scanned your parcel, it might take a while for the data to upload into the system. The USPS has been implementing new systems kind of slowly and I think the process is not 100 percent right now. If you saw someone scan your parcel tracking number, you will be seeing the information eventually. 

If you did not actually see someone scan the parcel, it is also likely that they just set it in a cart and it went into the back to be sorted out with the massive piles of parcels being sent along. At some point, it will get scanned (hopefully within 24 hours). Parcel Select are the worst about not getting scanned along their journey. The best is Priority, since they are all sent immediately to the airport and scanned there before being sent out.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

My last good job was 4 weeks per year, since I'd been there over 10 years. Lots of places are like that. Except that place, the next jump was 20 years! Long ways off. That's cool you get 5 after 15.

You know, I've never used carrier pickup via the internet. Simply because I assume it has to be requested the day before. I mean, it would have to be loaded before the carrier leaves on the route, correct? Or how else would they know to stop.
Then you mentioned a manifest, so it seems all the more likely.

I usually just raise the flag on my mailbox, since most of my packages are small.

I don't sell many big items after ebay started charging FVF on shipping.

Completely agree about Parcel Select being slow scans, just from the ones I've sent. It makes sense, though.

Priority should get....priority over parcel select!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

"They can't control carriers scanning or not scanning packages," can they? but ebay expects us to,  but if they do not scan it we get a defect as it was not recorded as shipped, i do not know everything so correct me if i am wrong.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@feather-merchant wrote:

"They can't control carriers scanning or not scanning packages," can they? but ebay expects us to,  but if they do not scan it we get a defect as it was not recorded as shipped, i do not know everything so correct me if i am wrong.

It cannot be controlled 100 percent and yes, ebay expects that of TRS. It goes along with ebay's policies of the buyer gets what they want and ebay wants you to speed up the process, even if the USPS/FedEx?UPS aren't on the ball.

If you use USPS, you can try your best to encourage them to scan your parcels. Most of them (especially Priority) do receive some type of scan within 24 hours, but not always. If you can "train" your letter carrier to scan your outgoing parcels, you will be helping yourself.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@kansas_gal06 wrote:

My last good job was 4 weeks per year, since I'd been there over 10 years. Lots of places are like that. Except that place, the next jump was 20 years! Long ways off. That's cool you get 5 after 15.

You know, I've never used carrier pickup via the internet. Simply because I assume it has to be requested the day before. I mean, it would have to be loaded before the carrier leaves on the route, correct? Or how else would they know to stop.
Then you mentioned a manifest, so it seems all the more likely.

I usually just raise the flag on my mailbox, since most of my packages are small.

I don't sell many big items after ebay started charging FVF on shipping.

Completely agree about Parcel Select being slow scans, just from the ones I've sent. It makes sense, though.

Priority should get....priority over parcel select!

I have never used Carrier Pickup via the internet, either. I either put them in my box, my wife hands them to our carrier or I take them with me when I go home for lunch and scan them myself. I think you do need to have the form submitted the night before the actual pickup. I should ask one of the ebayers on my route that does that. It will be a week before I'll be able to, though.

I wasn't sure how you could connect multiple parcels with the pickup form, either. When you fill it out, it goes off of just one request and you then tell the USPS how many parcels you have. It seems like you would need to submit the other tracking numbers, so maybe this isn't a great idea unless you just have one parcel. Still, I just recommend leaving a note or asking in person if you can. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I use carrier pickup all the time ~ soooo convenient, especially if I have more than one package to mail ~ and only one needs to be priority for the whole batch to be picked up. You can even tell them where you will leave the package ~ porch, back door, etc. 

All of the pertinent information is included in the "Schedule a Pickup" online form.  You can schedule a pickup until 2:00 a.m. CT ~ this is the info from the website:

When should we pick up?

Package Pickups are made during your regular mail delivery, 11AM - 3PM.

You can schedule pickups Monday - Saturday, until 2:00am CT on the day of the pickup. After 2:00am CT, same-day pickup is not available.

https://tools.usps.com/go/ScheduleAPickupAction!input.action

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@feather-merchant wrote:

Hmmm, I specify 1-day handling in my seller account. Some packages have gone out but not been scanned until the next day at like 1am or 2am. I haven't gotten a defect.  Because they were still delivered within the timeframe, I guess.

If they are not scanned ever for the complete transaction? I'm not sure what happens then.

There was a recent weekly chat where this shipping topic was brought up, along with PO delays around christmas and the estimated delivery times are way off, this time of year.

The ebay employee's answer (over & over) was along the lines "it's in the contract with the carriers, we're not changing anything"

Link to weekly chat I mentioned:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Decembe...

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@kansas_gal06 wrote:

@feather-merchant wrote:

Hmmm, I specify 1-day handling in my seller account. Some packages have gone out but not been scanned until the next day at like 1am or 2am. I haven't gotten a defect.  Because they were still delivered within the timeframe, I guess.

If they are not scanned ever for the complete transaction? I'm not sure what happens then.

There was a recent weekly chat where this shipping topic was brought up, along with PO delays around christmas and the estimated delivery times are way off, this time of year.

The ebay employee's answer (over & over) was along the lines "it's in the contract with the carriers, we're not changing anything"

Link to weekly chat I mentioned:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Decembe...

If I understand correctly, the issue with delays in delivery time only allows customers to give you a low DSR (hopefully they will look at the tracking and see it was the carrier, not the seller) and silly ebay will just go along with the buyer instead of rescinding the low DSR due to the carrier's unexpected slow service. You don't have defects because your customers have been understanding or the carrier made their expected delivery times.

I have been talking about meeting TRS requirements of 90 percent of items having "tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carrier." You can check your account information and generate a report on late scans. I had two on my last report and my carrier must have missed them because the first scans were at the main plant (90 miles away). 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

We ship in 24 hours also. Shipped a package to CA , for some reason it went to HI first and than back to Ca that took almost 2 weeks, another defect for us. I understand ebay wants us to ship fast and we do that. However it seems to me that I am now responsibe for each and every mistake the post office makes.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Yes, you are!  Isn't that unfair?  I don't like it either.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I made them scan it with the handheld terminal and it prints a reciept. It has a tracking number but all it says is "Label Created." Not Arrived, Not Accepted, Not Anything. Like I didnt even take it in. I am worried. And how does everyone deal with the Post Office not wanting to scan their prepaid packages? I encourage ALL to contact ebay about it. We need to speak up! PLEASE cal and tell ebay

Message 13 of 13
latest reply