cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Priority Mail Free Insurance $50 - Questions

1. When I buy USPS Priority Mail (online via ebay/paypal) ... is the free $50 insurance automatically included?

2. If package is lost or damaged does USPS refund value of pkg + shipping cost?

3. Do I need a a printed receipt or copy of the label?

4. Or is all of the information I would need on line at Ebay or Paypal?

5. Does sending USPS Priority Mail (Insured) elimate any chance of buyer saying "item not received"?

Thanks, I've never had a claim but am curious about the procedure, I did read the USPS site about insured items that may be lost or damaged but would like your opinion.

Also, if item is received damaged and the buyer does not cooperate with the post office, then what?

I think my little small town post office/post master & mailman  could verify that I send an apropriate USPS priority mail package.

Sorry, lots of questions 🙂

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Okay, there is a lot of confusion about if this then that about USPS insurance. Online is much better than the person behind the counter I would think. And on big claims (only the  post office knows for sure what that is) the buyer may have to cooperate for the claim for the post office. They do not have to do so for eBay. That is a whole different ball of wax.

And I am no expert by any means. I have filed one insurance claim in the last 3 years.

But. It requires the cooperation of the buyer. Most will help with this since photos have become something a three year old with a phone can do.

Big help is photos of the damaged item in the packaging if you want no problem claim. If the buyer sends you that, you are good to go (assuming your packaging was good or the box looks like it was run over by a semi) with an online claim that includes the photos, the ended eBay listing page with value of the item (don't even think about claiming more that you received for the item). Do include a copy of the shipping paid...this is where purchasing your postage through eBay/paypal is a huge advantage).

Doing all this does involve a bit of time. You decide if it is worth it.

Submit the claim and YOU wait.

The buyer does not. You refund.

I have no proof, but if you are making a claim every week the post office should be giving you the skanky eye. I am of the opinion that using online postage help big time in your claim. Using online postage makes you a known sender.

As far as worth the bother, that would depend on how much extra who cares money you have in your pocket. 

I admit it. I have been lucky.

Radine

Message 31 of 58
latest reply

Insurance coverage for any of the three big mailers require that any item have three inches of foam protection around the intire item to be insured. This is the reason you must bring the box with the item and all packing material. If you item box doesn't allow 3 inches there isn't a claim!

Message 32 of 58
latest reply

@nevetsd1497 wrote:

Insurance coverage for any of the three big mailers require that any item have three inches of foam protection around the intire item to be insured. This is the reason you must bring the box with the item and all packing material. If you item box doesn't allow 3 inches there isn't a claim!

@nevetsd1497

Where in the world did you come up with that? LOL

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 33 of 58
latest reply

Try and process a claim at the PO,UPS,Or FedX they will tell you just what I posted!

Message 34 of 58
latest reply

1st ... this thread is 3 years old.

2nd... A package must me packed securely against damage. But there is no "3 inches of foam" rule. 😞

I have no problems with USPS insurance because I pack my fragile items properly. All (the few that I have had) have been paid without having to present the box. All had adequate pictures of the damaged boxes and contents with the label clearly shown.

You will notice that I mentioned that the boxes were clearly damaged ... the most recent one looked like it had a spear hole all the way through.

The claims would probably NOT have been paid if the boxes did not show damage. If something is damaged in shipment and the box shows no signs of damage ... the problem is probably in the packing.

I had one buyer send me pics of the box they had received. It looked like it had been through a war zone. They said that they were afraid that the bowls were destroyed .... but they were intact and undamaged ... because I packed them securely 🙂 They were thrilled, to say the least. 

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 35 of 58
latest reply

IF you print your labels thru eBay w/the commercial discount you get $100 of free insurance... $50 if bought general rate (like PO)... with PRIORITY mail.
MUST add that although I have only had a few claims in my years of eBay... I was told by much larger seller friends that the 'shipcover insurance' option was much easier to deal with... but then I suppose you will have to buy it up front... so may even out... hummmmm
Message 36 of 58
latest reply

whodathunk above has a full post about all this I found very informational... and this part answers this question...

😎 What else has changed with Priority Mail?
Most domestic Priority Mail products** now include up to $50 or $100 of insurance based on the payment method used. If you’re using a stamp or meter to add postage to your package, and a package barcode is not applied, bring your package to the retail counter at the Post Office to receive the automatic insurance.
Subject to the exclusions described below, the Postal Service provides up to $50 of insurance for Priority Mail shipments sent at the Post Office (retail) and for Priority Mail sent using Commercial Base™ Pricing. The Postal Service provides up to $100 of insurance for Priority Mail sent using Commercial Plus™ Pricing.
Insurance will not be included with the following: Merchandise Return Service (MRS), Priority Mail Open and Distribute®, Premium Forwarding Service®, Priority Mail Reship, and Priority Mail packages paid for using meters and stamps (when an Intelligent Mail® package barcode (IMpb) or Retail Tracking Barcode is not applied).
Message 37 of 58
latest reply

For all that eBay must do to help USPS it really is not eBay's policy it is USPS policy and they don't like to credit or have anyone misinterpret that.
Free insurance comes with Priority Mail and jumps from $50 to $100 with Commercial Plus Pricing... which printing with eBay Labels uses.

Most domestic Priority Mail products** now include up to $50 or $100 of insurance based on the payment method used. If you’re using a stamp or meter to add postage to your package, and a package barcode is not applied, bring your package to the retail counter at the Post Office to receive the automatic insurance.
Subject to the exclusions described below, the Postal Service provides up to $50 of insurance for Priority Mail shipments sent at the Post Office (retail) and for Priority Mail sent using Commercial Base™ Pricing. The Postal Service provides up to $100 of insurance for Priority Mail sent using Commercial Plus™ Pricing.
Insurance will not be included with the following: Merchandise Return Service (MRS), Priority Mail Open and Distribute®, Premium Forwarding Service®, Priority Mail Reship, and Priority Mail packages paid for using meters and stamps (when an Intelligent Mail® package barcode (IMpb) or Retail Tracking Barcode is not applied).
Message 38 of 58
latest reply

The policy is a USPS policy... not really having to do with eBay... HOWEVER IF printing with eBay Labels then it becomes a Commercial Rate at which point Priority Mail free insurance jumps from the general $50 up to commercial $100.

Message 39 of 58
latest reply

My package is lost.

Message 40 of 58
latest reply

@carlyletienn_0 wrote:

My package is lost.

@carlyletienn_0

Ok, 

Did you need help with something?

Message 41 of 58
latest reply

Yes my package that I sent was lost to eBay. 

Message 42 of 58
latest reply

@carlyletienn_0 wrote:

Yes my package that I sent was lost to eBay. 

Not understanding!

ebay doesn't sell anything. Individuals do.

Did your buyer not receive an item?

or

Did you not receive an item?

Message 43 of 58
latest reply

@carlyletienn_0

What does the USPS 1st class package tracking # show.?

Why do you think it is lost?

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

Does insurance come with priority mail.

Message 45 of 58
latest reply