eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: USPS Priority Mail Free Insurance $50 - Questions

in reply to pargran3

Okay, there is a lot of confusion about if this then that about USPS insurance. Online is much better than the person behind the counter I would think. And on big claims (only the  post office knows for sure what that is) the buyer may have to cooperate for the claim for the post office. They do not have to do so for eBay. That is a whole different ball of wax.

And I am no expert by any means. I have filed one insurance claim in the last 3 years.

But. It requires the cooperation of the buyer. Most will help with this since photos have become something a three year old with a phone can do.

Big help is photos of the damaged item in the packaging if you want no problem claim. If the buyer sends you that, you are good to go (assuming your packaging was good or the box looks like it was run over by a semi) with an online claim that includes the photos, the ended eBay listing page with value of the item (don't even think about claiming more that you received for the item). Do include a copy of the shipping paid...this is where purchasing your postage through eBay/paypal is a huge advantage).

Doing all this does involve a bit of time. You decide if it is worth it.

Submit the claim and YOU wait.

The buyer does not. You refund.

I have no proof, but if you are making a claim every week the post office should be giving you the skanky eye. I am of the opinion that using online postage help big time in your claim. Using online postage makes you a known sender.

As far as worth the bother, that would depend on how much extra who cares money you have in your pocket. 

I admit it. I have been lucky.

Radine

boardsig
Community Member

in reply to mintrobmint

Absolutely incorrect.

Priority includes the insurance. Period.,

Radine

boardsig
Community Member

in reply to vot524

Hi, @vot524  A USPS claim for damage is usually opened by the sender/seller as insurance is meant to cover the seller for damage in transit.  If the claim is accepted, you will be refunded the $50.  The buyer should not have to wait for the claim to be settled, so you need to refund the entire purchase price plus shipping to your buyer.

Send a message to your buyer asking them to hold on to the packaging as the Post Office may want to inspect the package before they make a decision on the claim.  You can file a USPS damage claim on-line.

https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

Community Member

in reply to bowmancabin

If I mail Priortiy with the free $50 and the item sold for $58.00 and it get damage   Will USPS reimburse me the $50.00 and then  I just pay the $8 out of my pocket to buyer?  Thanks.

Community Member

in reply to hello-dolly39

@hello-dolly39 Hi dolly ~ me thinks that someone told you wrong!  The USPS website has a great blurb about how to file a claim, which in part says:

Proof of Damage

Photos that clearly show the extent of damage will help with your case. For damaged claims, you’ll also need to provide an estimate of the repair costs from a reputable dealer.

If you received something damaged, please hang onto it until your claim is settled. You may be asked to take them to your local Post Office™ for inspection later. Please do not reship the package.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

Community Member

in reply to penguins_dont_fly

no, the buyer is suppose to take the damaged item to the post office first, i the seller tried to claim ins but they said the person that recieves the broken items are to take it to the post office right away

Community Member

in reply to bowmancabin
Thank you!!!
Community Member

in reply to klhayes62

@klhayes62  Hi, kl ~ USPS needs to see a copy of the tracking number proving that the item was indeed, sent by Priority mail to qualify for the $50 included insurance, as well as a screen shot of the eBay/PayPal email showing that you paid for the label and a screenshot of the eBay sales transaction to show the value of the widget.  Once you upload those to the claim, you shouldn't have a problem.

Community Member

in reply to bowmancabin

Did the free $50 Priority insurance change?  I just tried to file a claim and it says I can't

because I did not purchase insurance.  I am just trying to figure out why I can't.

The item broke in transit--and just part of the order.

Thanks!

K

Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo
their would be no pants left.
Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

Just a clarification note.  USPS notified me that if I sell something for $100 and want it insured for $100 by USPS I must buy $100 of insurance.  I cannot buy $50 of insurance to add to the $50 of automatic insurance provided with my shipping label.  If you want insurance in excess of the $50 you must buy that amout in total and the $50 doesn't count at all.   This seems kind of stupid but then again its USPS.  Just thought I might save someone some grief.

If anyone has substantial proof this is incorrect please tell me where to varify it for my local post office.  Thanks,  tdeybus

Community Member

in reply to penguins_dont_fly

True that, fly ~ I gave the OP a shout out ~ so hopefully, they will come back to fill in the details! 

Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

Re-shipping a package voids the insurance.

If you have a boken item, the seller should file the insurance claim.

The selller should ask for pics of the damage (including the box and label) and the buyer's phone # to enter into the claim.

The seller should ask the buyer to hold on to the package in case the USPS wants to inspect the package, or needs more info.

The seller should refund the buyer and not make the buyer wait on the insurance.

If a package is insured for $100 - $100 is the max payment.

Patience is the ability to let your light shine after your fuse has blown out.

PostingID

Community Member

in reply to comichunters

@comichunters   Hi, comic ~ as love said, more info is needed to answer your question.

What was the damage and did the buyer send the package back to you?  Did the buyer send it back in the same packaging?  As a rule, USPS will want pictures of the damaged package ~ do you have that?  Have you refunded the buyer?

Every eBay seller using eBay labels and shipping Priority receives $50 of included insurance.  TRS, which qualify for commercial rates, receive $100 of included insurance ~ so you don't have to click on anything unless you want to increase the amount of coverage.  

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#1233501

You can file an insurance claim online here:

Community Member

in reply to comichunters

comichunters wrote:

Have my first returned package.. shipped via USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope... when I shipped it using Ebay Shipping labels.. I clicked on $100 for insurance.. and no extra charges were added.. shipped out for $4.95 with the discount...

So what is it when I return this package to the USPS?  do I get $50 or $100  BTW the item cost $114.00

Yhanks..

But, everyone gets $50 insurance coverage with PM.

$100 coverage is for TRS

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Community Member

in reply to bowmancabin

Have my first returned package.. shipped via USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope... when I shipped it using Ebay Shipping labels.. I clicked on $100 for insurance.. and no extra charges were added.. shipped out for $4.95 with the discount...

So what is it when I return this package to the USPS?  do I get $50 or $100  BTW the item cost $114.00

Yhanks..

Community Member

in reply to tdebuys

tdebuys wrote:

USPS told me that eBay had nothing to do with it.  YOU GET $50 of insurance on all PRIORITY MAIL PACKAGES no matter where you buy postage from eBay or at the Post Office.  That is what I was told by USPS.  Just Saying

That is correct!...

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Community Member

in reply to mintrobmint

USPS told me that eBay had nothing to do with it.  YOU GET $50 of insurance on all PRIORITY MAIL PACKAGES no matter where you buy postage from eBay or at the Post Office.  That is what I was told by USPS.  Just Saying

Community Member

in reply to modfreak

Hi ModFreak and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

There is a "qualification" level (Commercial Plus or Retail.) for 50 or 100 dollar free insurance.> http://pe.usps.gov/DMMAdvisory.asp?Dest=DMMAdvisory072513.htm

Additionally, insurance coverage is included at no additional charge for barcoded domestic Priority Mail (PM) pieces (except for Merchandise Return Service, Priority Mail Open and Distribute or Premium Forwarding Service pieces) as follows:

$100.00 for PM pieces bearing an Intelligent Mail™ package barcode (IMpb) and for which the mailer pays                Commercial Plus® prices.

$50.00 for PM pieces bearing an IMpb or USPS retail tracking barcode.

Hope this helps!

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Community Member

in reply to bowmancabin

I have a question.   How come on the eBay shipping label page it says this:

Additional Options
Add Signature Confirmation™ (US $2.20) 

Add insurance (Cost varies based on package value) 

With Priority Mail® you get USPS Insurance up to $100 free.
Print SKU/order number on label

See the part where it says you get USPS INSURANCE UP TO $100 free????    Yet USPS says up to $50.   That's a big difference, so which is it?  If I ship out a $99 item, do I pay the extra and insure for $99 or is it included...or what?