cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Priority Mail Free Insurance $50 - Questions

1. When I buy USPS Priority Mail (online via ebay/paypal) ... is the free $50 insurance automatically included?

2. If package is lost or damaged does USPS refund value of pkg + shipping cost?

3. Do I need a a printed receipt or copy of the label?

4. Or is all of the information I would need on line at Ebay or Paypal?

5. Does sending USPS Priority Mail (Insured) elimate any chance of buyer saying "item not received"?

Thanks, I've never had a claim but am curious about the procedure, I did read the USPS site about insured items that may be lost or damaged but would like your opinion.

Also, if item is received damaged and the buyer does not cooperate with the post office, then what?

I think my little small town post office/post master & mailman  could verify that I send an apropriate USPS priority mail package.

Sorry, lots of questions 🙂

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: USPS Priority Mail Free Insurance $50 - Questions

Have my first returned package.. shipped via USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope... when I shipped it using Ebay Shipping labels.. I clicked on $100 for insurance.. and no extra charges were added.. shipped out for $4.95 with the discount...

So what is it when I return this package to the USPS?  do I get $50 or $100  BTW the item cost $114.00

Yhanks..

Message 16 of 58
latest reply

@comichunters wrote:

Have my first returned package.. shipped via USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope... when I shipped it using Ebay Shipping labels.. I clicked on $100 for insurance.. and no extra charges were added.. shipped out for $4.95 with the discount...

So what is it when I return this package to the USPS?  do I get $50 or $100  BTW the item cost $114.00

Yhanks..

But, everyone gets $50 insurance coverage with PM.

$100 coverage is for TRS

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 17 of 58
latest reply

@comichunters   Hi, comic ~ as love said, more info is needed to answer your question.

What was the damage and did the buyer send the package back to you?  Did the buyer send it back in the same packaging?  As a rule, USPS will want pictures of the damaged package ~ do you have that?  Have you refunded the buyer?

Every eBay seller using eBay labels and shipping Priority receives $50 of included insurance.  TRS, which qualify for commercial rates, receive $100 of included insurance ~ so you don't have to click on anything unless you want to increase the amount of coverage.  

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#1233501

You can file an insurance claim online here:

https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 18 of 58
latest reply

Re-shipping a package voids the insurance.

If you have a boken item, the seller should file the insurance claim.

The selller should ask for pics of the damage (including the box and label) and the buyer's phone # to enter into the claim.

The seller should ask the buyer to hold on to the package in case the USPS wants to inspect the package, or needs more info.

The seller should refund the buyer and not make the buyer wait on the insurance.

If a package is insured for $100 - $100 is the max payment.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 19 of 58
latest reply

True that, fly ~ I gave the OP a shout out ~ so hopefully, they will come back to fill in the details! 

Message 20 of 58
latest reply

Just a clarification note.  USPS notified me that if I sell something for $100 and want it insured for $100 by USPS I must buy $100 of insurance.  I cannot buy $50 of insurance to add to the $50 of automatic insurance provided with my shipping label.  If you want insurance in excess of the $50 you must buy that amout in total and the $50 doesn't count at all.   This seems kind of stupid but then again its USPS.  Just thought I might save someone some grief.

If anyone has substantial proof this is incorrect please tell me where to varify it for my local post office.  Thanks,  tdeybus

Message 21 of 58
latest reply

their would be no pants left.
Message 22 of 58
latest reply

Did the free $50 Priority insurance change?  I just tried to file a claim and it says I can't

because I did not purchase insurance.  I am just trying to figure out why I can't.

The item broke in transit--and just part of the order.

Thanks!

K

Message 23 of 58
latest reply

@klhayes62  Hi, kl ~ USPS needs to see a copy of the tracking number proving that the item was indeed, sent by Priority mail to qualify for the $50 included insurance, as well as a screen shot of the eBay/PayPal email showing that you paid for the label and a screenshot of the eBay sales transaction to show the value of the widget.  Once you upload those to the claim, you shouldn't have a problem.

Message 24 of 58
latest reply

Thank you!!!
Message 25 of 58
latest reply

no, the buyer is suppose to take the damaged item to the post office first, i the seller tried to claim ins but they said the person that recieves the broken items are to take it to the post office right away

Message 26 of 58
latest reply

@hello-dolly39 Hi dolly ~ me thinks that someone told you wrong!  The USPS website has a great blurb about how to file a claim, which in part says:

Proof of Damage

Photos that clearly show the extent of damage will help with your case. For damaged claims, you’ll also need to provide an estimate of the repair costs from a reputable dealer.

If you received something damaged, please hang onto it until your claim is settled. You may be asked to take them to your local Post Office™ for inspection later. Please do not reship the package.

Message 27 of 58
latest reply

If I mail Priortiy with the free $50 and the item sold for $58.00 and it get damage   Will USPS reimburse me the $50.00 and then  I just pay the $8 out of my pocket to buyer?  Thanks.

Message 28 of 58
latest reply

Hi, @texastimelesstreasures  A USPS claim for damage is usually opened by the sender/seller as insurance is meant to cover the seller for damage in transit.  If the claim is accepted, you will be refunded the $50.  The buyer should not have to wait for the claim to be settled, so you need to refund the entire purchase price plus shipping to your buyer.

Send a message to your buyer asking them to hold on to the packaging as the Post Office may want to inspect the package before they make a decision on the claim.  You can file a USPS damage claim on-line.

Message 29 of 58
latest reply

Absolutely incorrect.

Priority includes the insurance. Period.,

Radine

Message 30 of 58
latest reply