cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My auction says No Returns, isn't that my right !

Even though the option exists in your listing of " No Returns ", unfortunately that does not mean No Refunds !!

The Ebay Buyer Protection Plan over rides your policy, and almost guarantees that a claim filed against you ( such as a SNAD..) will result in the buyer getting a refund without having to return your item to you.

While this is not fair, you can prevent this from happening in the future by changing you auction listings to ' accept returns'.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 1 of 461
latest reply
460 REPLIES 460

Re: My auction says No Returns, isn't that my right !

Agreed I quit selling after this happened to me
Message 436 of 461
latest reply

Yes if they say not as described
Message 437 of 461
latest reply

...how many people would purchase an item that they couldn't see in person without a return policy if there wasn't some kind of buyer protection for items that were incorrectly described.....not me!  

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 438 of 461
latest reply

@1975furyfever wrote:

@switchgearman wrote:

I agree, if you check the no returns box, it should without question or limitation mean that no returns and therefore no refunds can or will be offered on the item, period no further discussion required.  Furthermore, this should, by default REMOVE the buyer protection from that particular item, at which time any potential buyer would have to decide to bid on the item or pass on it.  aka BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!  Go to a real auction, buy something and try to return it 44 days after the auction has ended and see how it works out for you...eBay SHOULD be no different, it's an AUCTION, that just happens to be online.

This is alarming is because it sets a precedent that your listing is effectively meaningless.  If I'm a buyer, and I want a refund I just make up pretty much anything, throw quotation marks around it and claim you said it.  eBay will give me the refund regardless of your listing preferences and I get all my money back after playing with your stuff for apparently up to 45 days.

I not only have to issue this buyer a refund, I'll also get hosed for the return shipping, and I cannot re-sell the item as it as been opened and used.... this is unacceptable.  eBay will not be in business much longer when the majority of sellers wake up and realize that they have NO RIGHTS whatsoever and go elsewhere! And they will, eventually. 

I have to fully agree with what switchgearman wrote here.  It is complete B.S. that eBay can make any policy they want that trumps anything you, as a seller and/or business owner, put in your auction listings.  Like switchgearman said, try going to any other auction (and I have gone to quite a few local estate auctions) to see how REAL auctions are SUPPOSED to work and you will get a real eye opening experience!  All other auctions (except for eBay for some reason, of course) are all AS-IS, WHERE-IS, NO GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND on anything that is sold.  If you bid on it and it doesn't work, then oh well, you're out of luck.  You still have to pay for it and you cannot get a refund after the auction is over.  PERIOD!

So, why does eBay insist on overruling the sellers desires to have their own return policies?  Yeah, there could be some unscrupulous sellers out there, but Karma will get them in the end and they won't have a business anymore if they are in the habit of screwing over customers.  Plus, their feedback score will reflect if they are operating a shady business on eBay.  However, I have found that the vast majority of sellers out there are good people and are willing to work with buyers if an issue does arise.  The problem is there are too many bad buyers/scammers out there looking to get something for nothing or to take advantage of people by abusing the eBay Buyer Protection Programs, including claiming an item wasn't as described in the auction listing even when it clearly is.

If you want a perfect example of people abusing returns, go hang around the Walmart Returns Counter for a few days and see the crazy stuff people come up with for why they want a return.  Granted, Walmart is a huge company and they can afford to refund people regardless and almost always do to keep them coming back.  But how many people go in there and buy something to use it once and then return it within 30 days saying they didn't need it or worse yet, that they broke it and claimed it didn't work in the first place?  That is fine if a big corporation like Walmart wants to do that, but eBay forcing small sellers to do the same thing is ridiculous.  I could even see if eBay wanted to make all businesses with a storefront have to accept returns as part of their contract for having a store with eBay.  But to force EVERYONE on eBay to abide by this policy, even some poor guy or gal just trying to sell some extra stuff they have in their garage or basement, is a gross overreach of power in my opinion.  Not EVERY seller on eBay is a top-rated Power Seller with a store and thousands of items for sale, but eBay acts like everyone who wants to sell on eBay is a big corporation who can just "write off" any losses on their bottom line.  One bad buyer could potentially cost you hundreds of dollars between ruining an item that you can no longer resell, having to refund the buyer their entire price plus shipping, and then having to also foot the bill for the return shipping on the defective or broken item that the buyer no longer wants.

I will fully admit that I am a very infrequent part-time seller on eBay who thought that I was covering myself by putting "Item Sold AS-IS with NO RETURNS OR REFUNDS ALLOWED" in all of my auction listings.  However, after a bad experience with a buyer demanding his money back, opening an item not as described dispute against me, and winning and having eBay tell me that their Buyer Protection Program trumps anything that I say in my auction, I will be very wary of listing anything again on eBay.  It is just not worth it to have to deal with worthless pukes on eBay abusing the system to get what they want and costing sellers money having to deal with their garbage.

Sorry...  [END RANT]

Well, sorry, but this buyer has taken note of your ID and will make certain that I never purchase anything from you.

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 439 of 461
latest reply

There's a lot of sellers that don't understand that well so I will explain it. If Ebay truly allowed sellers to do no returns then every seller would switch their return policy to no refunds and a lot of buyers would eventually end up receiving a trash product not as described or simply wouldn't buy at all. Without the buyers Ebay would die. No sellers would be in business because no one would buy. Another important point, if you have a return policy set up you can charge the buyer for return shipping and/or restocking reguardless of the reason for returning. If you simply say no returns and have no policy in place then when the buyer wants to return it then it is Ebay's choice to make you pay the buyer's return shipping. So the business model is: 

Buyers make the seller money

^

Sellers make Ebay money =

Everyone wins (Supposedly)

To have any business you can also experience loss at times. This should be expected and it is part of owning a business. I've not been on Ebay crazy long, but I have a couple of physical real life successful businesses and it is the same principal. Business is business. Get with it or get out

What you all should really be worried about is the China take over and how they can sell and ship an item cheaper than anything can even be shipped in the US.

Message 440 of 461
latest reply

@budget_babe wrote:

There's a lot of sellers that don't understand that well so I will explain it. If Ebay truly allowed sellers to do no returns then every seller would switch their return policy to no refunds and a lot of buyers would eventually end up receiving a trash product not as described or simply wouldn't buy at all. Without the buyers Ebay would die. No sellers would be in business because no one would buy. Another important point, if you have a return policy set up you can charge the buyer for return shipping and/or restocking reguardless of the reason for returning. If you simply say no returns and have no policy in place then when the buyer wants to return it then it is Ebay's choice to make you pay the buyer's return shipping. So the business model is: 

Buyers make the seller money

^

Sellers make Ebay money =

Everyone wins (Supposedly)

To have any business you can also experience loss at times. This should be expected and it is part of owning a business. I've not been on Ebay crazy long, but I have a couple of physical real life successful businesses and it is the same principal. Business is business. Get with it or get out

What you all should really be worried about is the China take over and how they can sell and ship an item cheaper than anything can even be shipped in the US.

@notactive2021 ~ Hi, BB, while you make some valid points, your statement regarding returns that I have highlighted in red above, and reposted below is incorrect.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you wrote, but since so many posters read this thread I wanted to clarify:

Another important point, if you have a return policy set up you can charge the buyer for return shipping and/or restocking reguardless of the reason for returning. 

If the buyer opens a request/case for INAD (Item Not As Described, which includes defective, missing parts, etc.) and eBay decides in the buyer's favor, the seller is responsible for the cost of return shipping and will be required to authorize eBay to send a shipping label to the buyer or send the label themselves.  The cost of the label will be added to the seller's eBay invoice.  Buyers are responsible for the cost of return shipping on a remorse return.

Message 441 of 461
latest reply

I DO NOT ACCEPT RETURNS PERIOD!!

Why? Because there are so many SCAMMERS on ebay its not funny.

I have several friends that sell on ebay and accept returns and they B*tch montly about gettting F'd!

Over and Over!

So all my auctions say NO RETURNS. Ask questions before you buy!

this is how it should be.

IM NOT WALMART OR AMAZON.

A huge company that can handle scammers and right off the loss

Im a regualr american trying to make a extra buck to SURVIVE!

Returns are for scammer sellers and buyers!

Here is whats funny to me.... Ever been to a real Auction. NO RETURNS ALL SALES FINAL!

Yet ebay seems to think were all walmart and we should just take returns even if its not the item we sent or the customer-post office damage or switched the item... I say F that!

Message 442 of 461
latest reply

Oh and if this RUMOR is true. I will leave ebay.... All sellers must accept returns of 30 days as of May.

If this is true. Im done and outta here... Been a memeber since 1996. This is my 2nd acct with ebay.  But if this rumor is true. Im so outta here. 

Message 443 of 461
latest reply

etxcltr wrote:

ummmm, sure you do!  Regardless of your stated return policy, if a buyer files a Not As Described Case and wins, you will take a return which is plainly stated for all to see in eBay's Money Back Guarantee which is plastered all over the site, including smack dab in the middle of your listing!

As for the "rumor" about 30 day returns, it would behoove you as a seller to read the spring and fall updates and be familiar with eBay policies.  Only sellers that want to maintain Top Rated Seller Plus will need to allow returns for a full 30 days ~ and from what I have read here on the boards, it seems to be making no difference from the 14 day return policy.

Message 444 of 461
latest reply

@etxcltr wrote:

Why? Because there are so many SCAMMERS on ebay its not funny.

Well, nice of you to throw down the welcome mat for the very SCAMMERS you mentioned.

Scammer buys you widget, files a bogus SNAD claim, eBay sides with scammer,then eBay

forces you to refund the scammer and because you don't ACCEPT RETURNS PERIOD...

scammer gets to keep your widget too... you may not accept returns, but eBay will ensure

the you give full refunds to anyone who wins a claim against you and the scammers prey

on those with that, "Oh so 2000" No Returns Accepted Policy. Good luck going forward.

Message 445 of 461
latest reply

Well lets see so far NO RETURNS IN HOW MANY YEARS ON EBAY??

Yet all my fellow friends who sell on ebay get returns weekly... Why because they play Ebays Return Scam.

So they get ripped off weekly.

Funny huh!!

Just put this in your auctions.

All items i sell are as is

Please ask questions before you buy item

I do not accept returns.

Works for me.

I think most folks are good buyers.

But i also think scammers lurk on ebay and look for easy targets. 

Buy your stuff and swap it out with there broken one. Then you get scammed!

Not me. Personally if this is a issue with ebay and they try to make me take a return. Well good luck.

I keep my paypal account at 0. So any returns will go into negative.. right. then i would close ebay acct and paypal. Just that easy to me.

Ebay is  already yesterdays news. So why would anyone allow ebay to say how you run your business???

Message 446 of 461
latest reply

@etxcltr wrote:

Well lets see so far NO RETURNS IN HOW MANY YEARS ON EBAY??

Yet all my fellow friends who sell on ebay get returns weekly... Why because they play Ebays Return Scam.

So they get ripped off weekly.

Funny huh!!

Just put this in your auctions.

All items i sell are as is

Please ask questions before you buy item

I do not accept returns.

Works for me.

I think most folks are good buyers.

But i also think scammers lurk on ebay and look for easy targets. 

Buy your stuff and swap it out with there broken one. Then you get scammed!

Not me. Personally if this is a issue with ebay and they try to make me take a return. Well good luck.

I keep my paypal account at 0. So any returns will go into negative.. right. then i would close ebay acct and paypal. Just that easy to me.

Ebay is  already yesterdays news. So why would anyone allow ebay to say how you run your business???

What??

It's a fundamental basic of business; a solid return policy.

Buyers buy more when they know they can return if needed.

I would never buy from a store with a 'no return policy' which is why all stores have them.

What are you afraid of?

There is no such thing on ebay as no returns. Ebay backs up all purchases but you'll pay double with your current dated policy.

I don't believe you haven't had anything returned in years. All sellers have.

Ebay isn't 'yesterday's' news. Anything but. It has more competition but it's still the leader.

And..if you believe that why in H are you selling here?

Message 447 of 461
latest reply

etxcltr wrote:

Just a heads-up and an FYI to you about closing your eBay account:

1. If you are a seller, your account won't be "officially" closed for 6 months in order to make sure that all transactions are fulfilled and completed.
  2. If you have a zero balance in your account and owe eBay money the balance owing will be turned over to a collection agency and reported to a credit agency ~ eBay doesn't mess around with this stuff!
  3. This will affect your credit score  

Your eBay business is conducted on the eBay platform and you agreed to follow their policies when you approved eBay's User Agreement by placing your listing on their site. The only way to be totally in control of your business, is with your own website.

Message 448 of 461
latest reply

Message 449 of 461
latest reply

I myself have had it with E-bay, This is just anothger way of them getting out of paying top rated seller discounts. I talk to E-bay reps and I fell like I am talking to a brick wall. I am a top rated seller but nop longer get top rated seller discounts on my high ticket items since E-nay has set me up for MORE BUYER ABUSE over my old 14 day return policy. I sell USED WORKING PROJECTORTS and the prices are in the TOILET. So why would anyone pay upwards of $200 for a weekend projector rental for that special sporting event, presentation, wedding, graduation, Bithday party, Etc when a buyer can purchase a used projector from me for $139, use it for 30 days, and return it at my Expense, comliments of E-bays Return policy - and on top of that they raised my store rate after I signed up for a year with apromise of $15.95 a month. E-bay has forgooten they are an AUCTION SIGHT. I know of no other auctions you can go to and purchase something - then return it 30 days later, E-bay CEO's and policy makers have GONE STARK RAVING MAD. Do they really expect to set sellers up like me for buyer abuse and stay in business - WAIT UNTIL ALL THE SCAMMERS AND BUYERS EXPLOIT THE NEW 30 DAY POLICY AND THEY START LOOSING ALL THEIR SELLERS. I am now listing most of my projectors on Craigs list and I just opened an AMAZON acount to test the waters there.

Message 450 of 461
latest reply