cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

keldasales
Enthusiast
and now Paypal is forcing you to use their credit cards only for payment.

This has me really confused. Did I miss something?

So for the [really not nice words] why waste your time whining and also the blather about store front costs: this is a discussion board and the only place TO whine about part time selling costs

I think that response was in light of the fact that the OP was asking if its worth it to sell and then answered himself. And you could substitute the word store front for consignment, auction services, or something of the sort. You don't get something for nothing. Even if I were to have a yard sale, I'd have to pay to advertise in the paper, buy supplies for signs and those little stickers to price items. Then I'd have to pray it didn't rain or something. Plus I'd have to wake up really early in the morning. I'm not a morning person.

Venting is great, but eventually you move on either making it work or finding something else to do. We are of the making it work ilk here.

not just people who were running a part time business. In fact in the beginning that's all it was.

I knew quite a couple ebayers who quickly saw ebay either grow a hobby into a business or who decided to make ebay their business from ebay's conception. That's one way businesses become business- from casual sales. Heck, we've all seen a movie or two about someone turning a hobby into a corporation, haven't we? I don't fault anyone for making a casual thing turn into a business. I admire it, actually, because it does take a lot of hard work.

but if Ebay keeps actively seeking to screw the people who made them, there's always room for an upstart.

If ebay were to say push out all the small sellers, someone would capitalize on those venue-less sellers. I'm sure there are a few businesses just waiting for ebay to pull the plug on the little guy.
Message 91 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
Well, I rarely sell on Ebay anymore...it was a hassle BEFORE they forced you to accept Paypal..and now Paypal is forcing you to use their credit cards only for payment. I'm so far out of touch with Ebay that I'm just now finding that out. So for the self-righteous butthole who states why waste your time whining and also the blather about store front costs
a: this is a discussion board and the only place TO whine about part time selling costs
b. Ebay used to be friendly to all people, like people who just had some stuff in their attic to get rid of, not just people who were running a part time business. In fact in the beginning that's all it was. So saying a store front would be more expensive is a bit stupid considering this is or was mainly an AUCTION site.

So, yea, there are other places and I am actively seeking them out.
They may not be well known YET, but if Ebay keeps actively seeking to screw the people who made them, there's always room for an upstart.
Just look at the post office.

I think you got a few misconceptions here, HH. First, ebay does not require payment through PayPal. They do require electronic payment and there are about a half dozen others they recognize. Granted, they promote the hell out of PayPal and make it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they also own it...seems kinda logical they'd promote it. Many sellers also work outside of ebay policies and accept other types of payment.

Secondly, you can pay with any major credit card, ie, Visa, MC and Amex. Again, they promote PayPal's credit/debit cards...they get an extra cut from debit transaction fees, interest on charges, late fees, etc...just like any other credit/debit card.

I think if you hang out on this Board awhile, you'll find it friendly to just about everybody who stops by...even the whiners, though I prefer to think they are just venting. The direction this Board has taken is to listen, to support, to commiserate and to help folks with a selling problem...even to joke around a bit. It doesn't much matter if someone has 2 pieces of stuff from the attic or 2000 pieces from a part-time store. The folks here have anywhere from a couple months to many years experience and the variety of what they sell is just short of nuclear weapons (I think.).

I do take exception with your characterizing someone as stupid for recognizing the difference between a B&M store and an online venue like ebay or any of the others. There are differences...big ones! And though ebay may have once been solely an auction site, it's no longer that way and anyone choosing to sell here has to deal with the reality of what it is now. Good luck.
Photobucket
Message 92 of 356
latest reply

Kelda sez -- "If ebay were to say push out all the small sellers, someone would capitalize on those venue-less sellers. I'm sure there are a few businesses just waiting for ebay to pull the plug on the little guy."

Thank You Kelda! You have just cleared something up for me.
I wondered why evilBay allowed me to sell here, even after they stated that they don't like Mom & Pop Sellers.

Mom & Pop Sellers are the 'Freak Show' that draws in customers for the eStores.
They are the $99 Computer that is always sold-out that lures you in the door to get fleeced!
evilBay still hates the small seller and will continue to rip them off...
But if they just kicked them out someone would open another venue!
And evilBay cannot allow that. Remember, evilBay bought-out a bunch of start-ups.

Kinda like when you don't wanna totally dump your girlfriend/boyfriend cuz you might wanna sleepover.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 93 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
You might be right OMA. my take on it is that eventually ebay wants to get rid of ALL the mom and pop sellers.
they came up with a system to do just that! the DSR'S! pitting buyer against seller is really what it is.
many sellers after getting fleeced by buyers will just get mad and leave.
ebay knows that the DSR system will let buyers naturally drive out small sellers.
every time i make a sale you never know if the dreaded partial refund extortion method will be used. or some other scam that you have no protection over.
its the chance i take when i sell on ebay. the vast majority of my buyers so far have been outstanding people.
its the other ones that you always have to watch out for.
Message 94 of 356
latest reply

ebay knows that the DSR system will let buyers naturally drive out small sellers. ... the vast majority of my buyers so far have been outstanding people.

Say what?
Message 95 of 356
latest reply

"Right, that's why they're doing the "five free listings" promotion, which would only be useful to mom & pop sellers. They want to drive out all the current ones, and replace them with new ones. Makes perfect sense."

LOL....at first I was totally confused by what you were saying, then I caught the sarcasm.

I'm doing ok with the 5 free listings, because I don't have time to list a bunch of stuff at once, just one, maybe two (when I get more experience!) at a time, and 99% of them will probably sell for below $36 (the point at which the "free" listings become more expensive because of FVFs). "Slow and sporadic" is my listing style, and the 5 free listings per month fits for me.

Of course, I guess you could be considered a "Mom and Pop" seller and want to list more than 5 per month.
Message 96 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
HMMM 5 free listings a month to keep mom and pop sellers??? I do not think that is working out to well as thousands of small sellers leave every week. and as far as my take on the DSR system that is my opinion and i am sticking to it strangelove.
Message 97 of 356
latest reply

Y'all realize that eBay takes a larger percentage on Final Value Fees with the Free Listing, right?

So unless you use an outside hosting service, you first Five listings every month have that Higher Percentage taken-out.

So YES, the Five Free Listings are designed to weed-out the small sellers.
Because the Five Free Listings actually end-up costing you more than if you PAID for you listing.
Especially if you are selling expensive items that cost more than $50.

And most 'occasional' sellers don't come here to sell a Bunch of crap at $12 a pop.
They come here to sell things that they feel are Worth Selling.
Jewelry, Musical Instruments, Computers, Antiques.

So, if they are not hip to that Five Free Listing scam they are paying about 26% on items that sell for Hundreds of Dollars.

Stores and professional sellers don't get the Five Freebies, or if they do they don't sell expensive things with those listings.

So Yes Doctor, they are giving away those Five Free Listings cuz they wanna screw the Mom & Pop Sellers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 98 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
That is why i never used the 5 free listings. anyone that thinks that ebay gives away anything for free is misguided.
according to strangelove it makes perfect sense though....you get enough sellers peeved at the unfair DSR system and they start to leave. big sellers can take DSR hits. mom and pop sellers can not.
just read the many threads of small sellers really hurt by the DSR system. it is sad...
Message 99 of 356
latest reply

thousands of small sellers leave every week

Care to back that up with some proof?
Message 100 of 356
latest reply

So Yes Doctor, they are giving away those Five Free Listings cuz they wanna screw the Mom & Pop Sellers.

Nope.
Message 101 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
The FVF for the free listings is 8.75%. Even with PayPal fees, you're only at 12%. Where is this 26% coming from? Thin air?

Are we into this crap again? Come on, Doc...give it a rest.

I thought it was 21%, anyway.....:O
Photobucket
Message 102 of 356
latest reply

It's (free listing) cheaper up to somewhere between $35 and $36, then the "non-free" way is cheaper.

I'm just listing small collectibles that I get at garage sales, stuff that is easy to ship, not real valuable stuff.

My FVFs were only a flat 8.75%, I promise.

If I ever list anything that I'm postive will sell for more than $35, I'll use TurboLister.
Message 103 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
myronann, so would you say the free listings are a tool to get unsuspecting sellers to fall for it then they get socked with a higher FVF after a certain dollar amount? sounds more like a marketing scam to me.
Message 104 of 356
latest reply

Are we into this crap again? Come on, Doc...give it a rest.

I thought it was 21%, anyway.....:O

I said 26% to feed the troll.

It is obvious that Doc is evilBay's self-appointed big brother.
If you talk bad about da Bay, Doc will be there to tell you that you are wrong.
Which leads me to believe that he owns stock in eBay, and he is Really wishing to get his money back
Y'see, he bought that stock back in 2005 when eBay was a fair and honest site...
And they have been trying every sleazy trick in the book to get back up to $53 a share... But that ain't happenin'!

Y'see, if you just treat people fairly and offer a good service you don't have to think-up all these sleazy gimmicks.
But since everybody want the get rich NOW, without doing any work or producing a good product....
Well, you just have to eat your losses.

BTW -- I get my best guitar deals, both buying and selling, elsewhere.
But I will still come here and weather the storm to unload a beater now and then. B-)
Message 105 of 356
latest reply