cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

If you have a warehouse load of reject crap that Dollar Tree wouldn't sell, Sure...:^O

Otherwise.  NO! 😉

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 256 of 356
latest reply

anthony.luca2012
Enthusiast

I was a part time seller on ebay for 2 years. My ex wife was one for 1 month. I have horror stories that would curl your hair. I'm not going to waste your time or mine going there. Unfortunately, Ebay and their sister company Paypal have a corner on the market at this point in time. Until someone comes along to knock them off their pedestal, they will continue to conduct business as usual. As the old saying goes, "Why fix something that isn't broken) (it is on it'way to be broken) I am now a seller on several different auction sites. I have never been happier. Sellers fees aree minimal, or there are none at all. Granted, I only sell about one third of what i did on ebay. But i don't have the headaches or heartache that i had there. I also don't have to worry about paying ebay a percentage of each sale i make (it was 10% when i sold there). I also don't have to worry about their sister company (paypal) charging a fee for each transaction that they process on my sales. I can accept any  form of payment that i want. I accept Google wallet, U.S. postal money orders, personal checks and cashiers checks. Don't let ebay and paypal scare you into believing that you will never see your money with these forms of payment. It is bull!! I've been doing it for over a year and have had only one problem to date. You also don't have to worry about your paypal account being frozen along with all of the money in it for up to 180 days. (6 months). They will tell you that is to safeguard them for possble chargeoffs. That also is bull! I won't go ahead and list the auction sites that i am on. If  i do, this won't even post. If you want the info just let me know how you want me to get it to you. Good luck! God Bless!

I like to buy here on ebay. I have alot of seller friends here on ebay, and some other sites. Let me help you with my buyer's expertise when you shop for fan apparrel or other sports memorabilia.
Message 257 of 356
latest reply

anthony.luca2012
Enthusiast

It is narrow minded people like you, who allow companies like Ebay and Paypal to conduct  what many may consider unethical business practices. I don't sell counterfeit items. I never have. I really don't care what you think. But, i do know counterfeits when i see them, and there are literally thousands of them listed on Ebay each day. You need look no further than the Chinese dealers. At the time my accoount was suspended, i was a top rated seller with 532 transactions, with a 100% positive feedback rating, and 4-5 stars per transaction..I wonder if you can say the same. My customers obviously didn't accuse me of selling counterfeits, so who did? I offered to send items in question, at my expense to ebay for their inspection. They refused me. Why was that?  Aren't we presumed innocent until proven guilty. As far as my ex wife was concerned, she followed all of the rules. New sellers should be judged on their merits and selling record, not an ip address. Further, Ebay,and Paypal in their wisdom, should havenot allowed her to open an account if there was a problem. Let me guess, they made a mistake? They also made a mistake in suspending both my and her accounts. Now the idiots are clamoring for sellers fees on money she never received. I told her to let Ebay know that they will get their money when she gets hers.Now, were you able to understand what you have read? Open your mind, and think!!!   

I like to buy here on ebay. I have alot of seller friends here on ebay, and some other sites. Let me help you with my buyer's expertise when you shop for fan apparrel or other sports memorabilia.
Message 258 of 356
latest reply

It is narrow minded people like you...

Hi anthony, it will make things easier for those reading,

if you specify who you are responding to. You could,

simply state the username you are referring to, or the

Post Number you are referring to.

You can also Quote, or partially quote the post you are

referring to. It's just to the left of the smiley above.

Message 259 of 356
latest reply

Hi Anthony, three sentances stand out:

I was a part time seller on ebay for 2 years.

It is narrow minded people like you, who allow companies like Ebay and Paypal to conduct what many may consider unethical business practices.

Unfortunately, Ebay and their sister company Paypal have a corner on the market at this point in time.

As Komo is prone to posting.> http://forums.ebay.com/search.jspa?q=nuff+said&dateRange=all&userID=komokwa&numResults=15

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 260 of 356
latest reply

I was a part time seller on ebay for 2 years... 

I am now a seller on several different auction sites. I have never been happier...

Apparently those sites don't have a Seller forum for you to troll on... ;\

Once again... If I leave evilBay, I won't be coming back to post dumb stuff on the boards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 261 of 356
latest reply

From what I have learned about Ebay selling:

Its worth it IF you are selling something somewhat unique, valuable or small. Electronics. Antiques. Unique crafts. Anything that can't just be picked up locally on the local market or on the cesspool that is Craigslist. Also, if you have a regular volume of sales from an actual business, as opposed to just being Joe Schmo cleaning out their garage, than it is also a plus for Ebay. If you have a garage full of stuff, you would be better off just having a garage sale and charging a bit less for items than dealing with the fiasco of shipping and so forth. I think if I had just gone that route, I would have made as much money but had much less aggrevation since I would let items go for cheaper but would not have to burn gas to go to the PO or UPS/FedEX, get packing materials and the like. It gets worse if you end up with disputes with buyers over stuff you just want to get into someone else's hands as opposed to just throwing it in the dump. What I have learned with Craigslist and Ebay etc has really raised the minimum threshold value of what I might bother to sell as opposed to just trucking it off to the landfill. In the end I will probably break even with the proceeds from what I sold paying for the disposal of what I could not sell but at least I will have taken back my garage from the clutter.

Message 262 of 356
latest reply

must not be worth it to all the GOOD sellers...they left

90% of the sellers Ive dealt with lately SUCK!

Ignorance is bliss
Message 263 of 356
latest reply

John You will not get any understanding here, they all are Ebay cheerleaders. But take a look at their feedback numbers, how low they are and also see how many items they have listed thats what defines cheerleaders . Lovelaughs is one of the best sellers in here Good Luck

And most them are a puppet of ebay.
Message 264 of 356
latest reply

I work nights, I used to sell at the Flea Market.  E-Bay allows me to make extra income and work the amount of time I put into it.  I don't worry about the fees, I don't have to babysit the goods, I just ship them when they sell.  Yes, I also sell for other people.  I enjoy it and E-Bay has improved all the issues I had with them so I am a happy camper.  We are in a tough economy, I am surprised I do as well as I do.  I also sell salvage, not a lot of money but I get the stuff for free.  You just have to use what is available to make money, I am used to working hard for what I get so E-Bay seems easy for me.

Message 265 of 356
latest reply

No. 

I've used this site to sell items and what I find the worst thing is that sellers cannot leave feedback for their buyers. 

I had a buyer who was not happy with her purchase and decided to leave a message which was insulting towards me. This person began to call me rude names and judge my charater because she was not happy with the purchase. The problem with the purchase was that she wanted to return the item but I have a no return policy, so I cannot exchange it. Also, she misread the listing, so when she got it she was very angry. 

The messages soon turned into arguements of her trying to prove she is a better buyer etc..  I recently have moved to the USA and she did not understand and was very ignorant to the fact that it takes time and effort to move, so I shipped her order 2 weeks after she bought it. However, I sent her a message about to inform her of the situation. Then she claimed my communication skills lacked and that I do not care about my buyers etc. 

Then she sent messages to threaten me to return it or else she would 1. Leave negative feedback, 2. Report me, and 3. Make sure the money is back (which meant hacking my paypal account). Also the language she used was extremely harsh and scary. In fact, I began to become scared so I tried to delete my account, but ebay charged me a fee, so I have to wait 30 days until I get my account pernamently deleted. 

I reported this to ebay and they did not do anything about the situation at all. Now I am at risk of getting my money stolen by some crazy mad woman here in this country. Thanks ebay. Never using this site again. 

Message 266 of 356
latest reply

No. 

I've used this site to sell items and what I find the worst thing is that sellers cannot leave feedback for their buyers. 

I had a buyer who was not happy with her purchase and decided to leave a message which was insulting towards me. This person began to call me rude names and judge my character because she was not happy with the purchase. The problem with the purchase was that she wanted to return the item but I have a no return policy, so I cannot exchange it. Also, she misread the listing, so when she got it she was very angry. 

The messages soon turned into arguments of her trying to prove she is a better buyer etc..  I recently have moved to the USA and she did not understand and was very ignorant to the fact that it takes time and effort to move, so I shipped her order 2 weeks after she bought it. However, I sent her a message about to inform her of the situation. Then she claimed my communication skills lacked and that I do not care about my buyers etc. 

Then she sent messages to threaten me to return it or else she would 1. Leave negative feedback, 2. Report me, and 3. Make sure the money is back (which meant hacking my paypal account). Also the language she used was extremely harsh and scary. In fact, I began to become scared so I tried to delete my account, but eBay charged me a fee, so I have to wait 30 days until I get my account permanently deleted. 

I reported this to eBay and they did not do anything about the situation at all. Now I am at risk of getting my money stolen by some crazy mad woman here in this country. Thanks eBay. Never using this site again. 

Message 267 of 356
latest reply

@emd527 wrote:

I had a buyer who was not happy with her purchase and decided to leave a message which was insulting towards me. This person began to call me rude names and judge my character because she was not happy with the purchase.

The problem with the purchase was that she wanted to return the item but I have a no return policy, so I cannot exchange it.

Also, she misread the listing, so when she got it she was very angry. 

The messages soon turned into arguments of her trying to prove she is a better buyer etc..  

I recently have moved to the USA and she did not understand and was very ignorant to the fact that it takes time and effort to move, so I shipped her order 2 weeks after she bought it.

However, I sent her a message about to inform her of the situation.

Then she claimed my communication skills lacked and that I do not care about my buyers etc. 

Then she sent messages to threaten me to return it or else she would

1. Leave negative feedback,

2. Report me, and

3. Make sure the money is back (which meant hacking my paypal account).

Also the language she used was extremely harsh and scary. In fact, I began to become scared so I tried to delete my account, but eBay charged me a fee, so I have to wait 30 days until I get my account permanently deleted. 

I reported this to eBay and they did not do anything about the situation at all.

Now I am at risk of getting my money stolen by some crazy mad woman here in this country.

Thanks eBay. Never using this site again. 

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=emd527&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

Negative feedback ratingUnproductive communication to resolve issue. Falsely advertised product.

The problem with the purchase was that she wanted to return the item but I have a no return policy, so I cannot exchange it.

Now I am at risk of getting my money stolen by some crazy mad woman here in this country.

Isn't the eBay International community so much more fun than domestic!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 268 of 356
latest reply

they do have some strange ideas....

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 269 of 356
latest reply

It's very important to post concerns we have with ebay - if noone does it, things will never change.
Message 270 of 356
latest reply