cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

Even with my no return policy ebay sides with the buyer and I am out the money for product and shipping.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Part-Time-Ebay/My-Auction-Says/520268043

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 226 of 356
latest reply

Don't forget that with opening a physical store you would be limited to selling at certain hours every day, to a certain location. eBay lets you sell 24/7 to the entire world!

Message 227 of 356
latest reply

Evening TangibleGoodies and welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 228 of 356
latest reply

Ebay is NOT a store or that number next to your name would mean nothing. You are the store, eBay is an operating cost that has been constantly going up. That cost has now exceeded over 10% and your personal costs of doing business has also gone up. So what has that done for you, I'll tell you. I can now go to Walmart  or Amazon and find better prices than on eBay. Auctions are being replaced by "Buy it Now" sellers and finding good deals on eBay is fast becoming extinct. Ebay has more then doubled their "take" on your business in just a few years time. Its not like you had that big a profit margin to begin with. Ebay is not worth it for sellers anymore, that is the bottom line.

Message 229 of 356
latest reply

Ebay is NOT a store or that number next to your name would mean nothing.

Cheer up... 

photo pat.gif 

if you don't like it, stop buying, selling and most

of all, Posting the same crap on every thread. 😉

Message 230 of 356
latest reply

I have been looking at the fees EBAY and PAYPAL charge, Its a lot if you sell DVDs like myself. I list DVDs fix at .99 and $3 for shipping.  After I pay shipping most of the time its 1.86 to 2.10 per DVD, then around .30 for paypal and ebay fees I make about 1.59 off 1 dvd and that's b4 the cost of the DVD. now I also pay 15 a month for a basic ebay store. So I really don't make a lot off ebay for the time it takes to sell a few DVDs. After all  I can pay about the same if not less at a local flea Market and not have the BS that ebay gives EVERYONE when it comes to holding funds, 21 days? for new sellers regardless of the 100% feedback. I do understand the dishonest sellers but after the tracking shows item delivered STILL another 4 days to get your 1.59 WTF!  Ebay?  If we get funds held why does ebay get there money right away? If it was not for the sellers and buyers ebay would not be ebay.

Message 231 of 356
latest reply

I agree, The fees ebay and paypal charge are way to much. Its a lot better and cost 1/2 as much to list a few auction items on ebay with links to your own online store, I almost make 3 times as much because I have no fees for items that don't sell, I don't have any fees from paypal and ebay ( dipping in the pot 2x)  I like ebay but the fees has gotten to be high.

Message 232 of 356
latest reply

That's true, however fees have gotten to be high, I pay around $70 a mo. just to have 500 items listed in one of my stores regardless if I sell or not.

Message 233 of 356
latest reply

That's true, however fees have gotten to be high, I pay around $70 a mo. just to have 500 items listed in one of my stores regardless if I sell or not.

to list a few auction items on ebay with links to your own online store, I almost make 3 times as much

So your fees include advertising to direct buyers to your store?

Message 234 of 356
latest reply

prettynaughtyshoes
Enthusiast

Well, I'm a new small biz owner, though I used to sell as an individual several years ago. New sellers of inexpensive items have such an impossible time selling on Ebay - between the fees for both Ebay and Paypal, the cost to ship, the stringent rules, and the hours and hours we spend creating the listings with their far-too-complicated interface, it probably won't be worth it for me in the end. On most of my items (of which I can only list TEN as a new seller) I might clear $3 a pop, and when I consider the months I spent preparing my online presence, then the couple of days it took to create and revise listings because I kept running into setbacks with Ebay rules, I have no idea why anyone would continue to deal with the hassle. And my overhead is actually pretty low, considering. It's mostly comprised of website hosting and Ebay/Paypal fees, other than the cost to purchase inventory.

I wish there were another, equally popular venue.

Message 235 of 356
latest reply

prettynaughtyshoes
Enthusiast

Linking to off-Ebay sits is a policy violation. If it were as simple as what you say, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I need to stay on Ebay's good side for now.

Message 236 of 356
latest reply

Linking to off-Ebay sits is a policy violation. If it were as simple as what you say, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I need to stay on Ebay's good side for now.

Are the shoes pretty AND naughty?

OR are the shoes pretty (like kind of) naughty?

And how can a shoe be naughty?

Can naughty shoes be put in time out? 

Is their a special naughty shoe rack?

Do naughty shoes on the naughty shoe rack develop an inferiority complex?

Can they develop stockholm syndrome?

Do the shoes become naughty because they are tired of being stepped on?

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Message 237 of 356
latest reply

Now Struggle, is that any way to say Hi! to a new seller & a new poster?

Let's try this again...............

Hi PrettyNaughtyShoes and welcome to The Part Timers Forum, neat ID!

New sellers of inexpensive items have such an impossible time selling on Ebay

Even experienced sellers have a tough time selling inexpensive items! Never start them at 99¢ with free S&H!

between the fees for both Ebay and Paypal, the cost to ship, the stringent rules, and the hours and hours we spend creating the listings with their far-too-complicated interface, it probably won't be worth it for me in the end.

Look at the bright side, you haven't wasted years like many here!

On most of my items (of which I can only list TEN as a new seller) I might clear $3 a pop,

If you knew how many times I've read new sellers state they lose money, so you're ahead of the curve!

and when I consider the months I spent preparing my online presence, then the couple of days it took to create and revise listings because I kept running into setbacks with Ebay rules, I have no idea why anyone would continue to deal with the hassle.

Sounds to me like a no brainer!

Don't we all....But there ain't!

Message 238 of 356
latest reply

Now Struggle, is that any way to say Hi! to a new seller & a new poster?

Let's try this again...............

Hi PrettyNaughtyShoes and welcome to The Part Timers Forum, neat ID!

New sellers of inexpensive items have such an impossible time selling on Ebay

Even experienced sellers have a tough time selling inexpensive items! Never start them at 99¢ with free S&H!

between the fees for both Ebay and Paypal, the cost to ship, the stringent rules, and the hours and hours we spend creating the listings with their far-too-complicated interface, it probably won't be worth it for me in the end.

Look at the bright side, you haven't wasted years like many here!

On most of my items (of which I can only list TEN as a new seller) I might clear $3 a pop,

If you knew how many times I've read new sellers state they lose money, so you're ahead of the curve!

and when I consider the months I spent preparing my online presence, then the couple of days it took to create and revise listings because I kept running into setbacks with Ebay rules, I have no idea why anyone would continue to deal with the hassle.

Sounds to me like a no brainer!

Don't we all....But there ain't!

I have genuine question about naughty shoes, especially the pretty ones.

You play a great welcome wagon I wouldn't want to step on toes

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Message 239 of 356
latest reply

You greeted her your way and I mine.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEXY-RED-BLK-OPEN-TOE-MARY-JANE-ANKLE-STRAP-HIGH-HEEL-STILETTO-PUMP-SANDALS-...

I think Naughty Shoes pretty neat too!

Message 240 of 356
latest reply