cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

Re: Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I am beginning to agree with you...the last time I bought or sold any items on eBay was back in 2008, when PayPal was still hooked up with them. It was fun and easy, there was polite communication back and forth, buyers always left feedback because they wanted good feedback, and we all kept more of our money. Everyone was happy. I recently picked up again this month. Wow, things have really changed. 

With eBay now taking not just a cut of the item sale price, but of THE POSTAGE too, plus PayPal's cut of the entire transaction, I figured out that counting postage, insurance, and fees, on every dollar I make on eBay per item, I'm really only keeping 82 cents. Yikes. Ebay takes 10% of everything and PayPal takes approximately 3.2% on that same total transaction. And that's not counting what I spend on double-boxing breakables, plus materials. Sad. 

Add that to the fact that buyers no longer have any incentive to leave ANY feedback as they cannot receive negative comments anymore from a seller, and you have a not-so-fun atmosphere for all. Especially the sellers. No wonder I see so so many more "buy it nows" instead of fun auctions. 

I only do this as a way to buy and sell ceramics for fun (certainly not for profit), so I can't imagine the hit that serious sellers are taking now who rely on eBay for a living. Some say we should compensate for the fees by upping the item price, but that's not fair to the buyers and is VERY unattractive to them. 

Message 331 of 356
latest reply

China is taking over ebay. It's hard to compete with them. The only downside is you might have to wait for a month to get the goods. Plus that, in the past 5 years I've noticed fewer and fewer page views, so I can only speculate about that. Bottom line, I have a credit debt with them, so they best be directing people to my stuff if they want to get paid. LOL 

Message 332 of 356
latest reply

Not really.  There are the obvious ever increasing ebay and paypall fees, shipping materials and fees, and don't forget the equipment you need to maintain. The computer, printer, scale, a car, a place to work and store your inventory. The cost of your inventory and the risk you take if it doesn't sell. Then think about your time. It's time consuming and demanding. Customers these days expect instant response. Competition is massive. Everybody is selling and new products are selling dirt cheap in bargan stores everywhere. I've been selling for years but I recognise that it's a hobby, and not a businsess. I make a few bucks but not enough to justify the time I put in.

Message 333 of 356
latest reply

Biggest game in town? Amazon. Think big, think Amazon. ebay is yesterdays news.
Message 334 of 356
latest reply

🙂 That's so nice!

Message 335 of 356
latest reply

Yet, I am not sure you are gettjng the service for which you pay. Sales, yes. Exposure, eh, not likely. I've been selling on ebay more than 10 years and have experienced the reality: ebay controls EVERYTHING and you cannot make a sustainable business. ebay is your GOD if this is your only venue.

Message 336 of 356
latest reply

You do realize you are responding to a post billy wrote in 2010...

I suppose you are going to tell me to shut up again???

Message 337 of 356
latest reply

The smaller casual seller is the victim here. Those who just sell unused items or their children's designer out grown clothes. 

EBay really pull on these sellers and I find it really harsh business tactics! 

Message 338 of 356
latest reply

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

NO! All the sellers that no longer sell here means LESS competition!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 339 of 356
latest reply

EBAY HAVE BECOME NOT ONLY EXTORTIONISTS FOR SELLERS, BUT THEIR NEW WAY OF 'SCORING', THEIR UNAVAILABILITY/INCONSISTENCY/INABILITY TO BE HELPFUL TO SELLERS AND THEIR RECENT 'NAZI'-LIKE INVASION INTO SMALL BUT HONEST SELLERS' ACCOUNTS IS ATROCIOUS!! THEIR NEEDS TO BE A REVOLT AGAINST THEM - AND ANOTHER PLAYER IN THE MARKET!
Message 340 of 356
latest reply

I can't read all caps.

Can you not use them and repost it?

Thanks

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 341 of 356
latest reply

peekaboo

My eyes!.......My eyeys!!!!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 342 of 356
latest reply

Maybe good for official businesses who are insured privately as well, though not worth selling as a private seller. As I agree it is too much trouble for what it's worth.

Message 343 of 356
latest reply

I totally agree with you for all reasons you stated. Sellers can be hostile as well. I'm too nice for ebay. 

anytime I shipped an item I sold I held my breath until I saw some decent FB and not only that when I went out of my way with marginal profit on the line, I more than often didnt get FB!  My biggest splurge on ebay which was in the hundreds only solicited a puny "thank you" from the seller. People have no class! Shipping costs have made it almost not worth it unless you have an item thats fairly unique. I cant stand the whole shipping section on listing. Im a Goodwill shopper, though I dont expect to find treasures,  I can see by their donations some people have given up on ebay. Throw open the garage door!

Message 344 of 356
latest reply

ebay took the downhill since a few years ago. When we first started on ebay we were thriving. Ever since the previous management took over they ruin everything from search engine algorythms to operations. Now ebay is flooded with counterfeit china sellers that are promoted by ebay. We saw our sales drop to 90% since the beginning even though our prices are competitive and our seller support is suberb. I believe they put a bar on your selling limit and when you reach that selling limit they do not promote you anymore. This is my conclusion from trying to figure out why my sales went down so much.  On the other hand, you get buyers opening non received or not as described cases intentionally to force the seller pay for return labels. Ebay always favor the buyer in that case at the seller's expense. My opinion? its better than nothing but if you are planning to get seriously involved and invest with ebay sales you better think about it twice

Message 345 of 356
latest reply