cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

Re: Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

eBay is an American business and, as such, all of their self-inflicted wounds are always somebody else's fault.

When eBay raises fees, it's sellers' fault.
when eBay encourages returns, it's sellers' fault.
When eBay assists thieves, it's sellers' fault.
When eBay hides listings, it's sellers' fault.
When eBay posts wrong or conflicting information, it's sellers's fault.
When eBay breaks the site, it's sellers' fault.
When eBay subsidizes Chinese counterfeiters, it's sellers' fault.
When eBay looks the other way at rule violations, it's sellers' fault.
When eBay doesn't advertise, it's sellers' fault.
When eBay gets itself delisted from Google, it's sellers' fault.
When eBay uses thick-accented 3rd-world call centers, it's sellers' fault.
When eBay has a serious lapse in security and is hacked, it's sellers' fault.
Message 316 of 356
latest reply

.....and posting to this thread does absodoinkinlutely nothing ~ diddly squat ~ nada ~ zero and bubkis about changing any of those things ~ and if posting to this thread does make anyone feel better, then that is one of the reasons that nothing changes because these posts are nothing but gripes and are not read by any eBay employees.

If you have a legitimate problem with a legitimate solution, you should post it to the eBay for Facebook page, eBay Twitter, eBay for Business or the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. 

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 317 of 356
latest reply

Yes, yes, they're always looking into problems and open to suggestions. Same problems year after year, no progress made on any of them, but they're listening and working, honest! It's wonderful that you believe that, just as sure as my cousins believe a magic rabbit delivered them toys last weekend.

I, on the other hand, work in software development and this story is all too familiar.
Message 318 of 356
latest reply

Yup, eBay has problems ~ no one is denying that, but to continually complain about it does nothing to fix those problems ~ as another seller said, not accepting the realities of selling here does nothing to change the realities of selling here.

You use a venue while it meets your needs in a cost effective manner, if and when it doesn't, you move on.

Message 319 of 356
latest reply

@rktoyandhobby wrote:
my cousins believe a magic rabbit delivered them toys last weekend.

I, on the other hand, work in software development and this story is all too familiar.

rktoy... you know, full well, that the magic rabbit story is true. Everyone, young at heart, knows that the special

painted Easter eggs hatch out Magic Rabbits that bring toys to children. Software Developers should try to look

at the world through the eyes of a child... no telling where a great idea can come from...

wishing you a very happy belated Easter.

Message 320 of 356
latest reply

@rktoyandhobby wrote:
Yes, yes, they're always looking into problems and open to suggestions. Same problems year after year, no progress made on any of them, but they're listening and working, honest! It's wonderful that you believe that, just as sure as my cousins believe a magic rabbit delivered them toys last weekend.

So ... have you ever hidden an "Easter Egg" in your software?

😉

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 321 of 356
latest reply

I am only posting here to vent. I don't expect any action of any kind from ebay. My opinion is that it is definitely not worth trying to sell anything on ebay any more. The buyer is given complete control over the transaction and can return items and request refunds for any reason what-so-ever.  I have been a long time user and peruser of ebay and when my current listings are resolved in what-ever manner I am through with ebay forever.

Of course, I understand that ebay could care less what one user thinks.  I do feel a bit better getting it off my chest, though.

Message 322 of 356
latest reply

Scary.

Message 323 of 356
latest reply

Name another place online that is more popular for selling besides eBay and Amazon?
Message 324 of 356
latest reply

Not worth it in my opinion. Up until recently, paypal was basically free to use, and there were no associated fees. I just sold a laptop for $466. For a college student like me and many people struggling in this world, we need every cent possible. Usually, when we end up selling on Ebay, we're already getting a very basic/slim profit margin as it is. SO, I ensured the laptop and required a signature (because I've been scammed by someone who didn't "recieve their package" before, and ended up losing $650 over that little incident. BTW- Ebay does NOTHING to protect the seller. They will only believe the buyer.) So, after losing that much money, I didn't want to take any chances on this laptop. Overall, the shipping at UPS to ensure it for $400, get it signed, and to actually pay to ship was close to $50. Then, Ebay will charge me a $46.60 "final value fee" AKA a hefty commission. THEN, on top of that? Paypal wants its cut. $14 is what paypal charged me. Ridiculous. With all of the fees alone, Ebay and Paypal put me out $66. That's not even counting the $50 it cost to ship the item. Honestly, many people have quit selling on Ebay due to the fact that buyers have complete power and control and the sellers are basically screwed by fees. 

Message 325 of 356
latest reply

"Up until recently, PayPal was basically free to use."

Only if you've been screwing them by using "friends and family" for sales.
Message 326 of 356
latest reply

FACEBOOK AND IG.  

Message 327 of 356
latest reply

Wow...your input was as useless as the post you complained about...clap...clap...clap.

Message 328 of 356
latest reply

@partsancient wrote:

Wow...your input was as useless as the post you complained about...clap...clap...clap.

@hidy_hoo

You have a fan. 

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 329 of 356
latest reply

laughing emo.gifThanks for the heads up, love!  Hey, I get blamed for all sorts of stuff so I am getting used to it!

Message 330 of 356
latest reply