cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

Re: Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

Well, we know who the cheerleading squad is...
Message 16 of 356
latest reply

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%,

21%. How in the world do your fees hit 21%? Break it down for us.
Message 17 of 356
latest reply

John- it may be something you're not seeing or inadvertantly agreed to.

Otherwise to have 21% in eBay fees means they went up again. Do you have a little more facts so one of us could help?

Brian
Message 18 of 356
latest reply

I have a Master's Degree and I couldn't break down those invoices.
Message 19 of 356
latest reply

I don't have a Masters in anything that I know of. 🙂

I believe it's 8.75 % on auctions for the 1st $25 sold and then 3.5 % of $25.01 - $1000.

One could say this is still crazy as it's from different perspectives but as I mentioned a couple minutes ago there's missing facts that haven't been disclosed.

Brian
Message 20 of 356
latest reply

flatblastard
Enthusiast
The total amount of fees/commisions/postage/etc involved in a single transaction could easily add up to 21% of the sale

The cheerleaders are going to pick apart everything you said in original post. You must speak to them in the same language that eBay uses in all their documentation, or else they wont understand why you don't get it.
Message 21 of 356
latest reply

That is a great reply! This guy needs to watch more Bob Ross!!!

If you think eBay's fees are high, try opening a physical store in a decent location. You'll get crazy buyers there too.

I have to agree with this. All stores have operating costs and all retailers have some crazy arsed buyers occasionally. Trick is to keep both to a minimum.

I also think that 21% in ebay (and pay pal fees I hope you mean to include) is pretty good in my as far as cost of selling fees go. If I sell a $1000 bucks, that means I get to keep almost $800. Yay me!!

You can use a fee calculator to help make sure what you are selling is worth selling on ebay, too.

First thing is they are if not the only game in town, at least the biggest, by far.

Even a B&M doesn't get as much daily traffic as ebay. And traffic is the biggest key to selling. You can't get people to look at your stuff, you can't sell it.

You could always find other sites and list on them, then compare which was more profitable over all. Its a good experiment. Good luck!!
Message 22 of 356
latest reply

The cheerleaders are going to pick apart everything you said in original post.

OP threw out a number that I don't believe, so I asked for more info. How is that "picking apart everything"? I think the 21% figure is bogus, as is your attempt to explain it away. I'm not attacking the messenger (as you are); I'm just skeptical of the message. Deal with it.
Message 23 of 356
latest reply

flatblastard
Enthusiast
No. I don't need to look at anybody's auction to justify what I have said. My statement applies to many listings, free postage or not.

If you were offended, then perhaps you are the loudest cheerleader?
Message 24 of 356
latest reply

No. I don't need to look at anybody's auction to justify what I have said. My statement applies to many listings, free postage or not.

If you were offended, then perhaps you are the loudest cheerleader?

I was offended by your laziness and ignorance. Please explain how postage is an eBay fee.
Message 25 of 356
latest reply

keldasales
Enthusiast
I have a Master's Degree and I couldn't break down those invoices.

Its helpful to remember that you are being charged for listing fees on things that might not have sold yet. Reading the invoice just takes a bit of patience, which may but if its more helpful, I think you can import the info into an excel spreadsheet. That might make it easier to view.
Message 26 of 356
latest reply

keldasales
Enthusiast
err, was supposed to read: which may hard if you are frustrated with the bill...
Message 27 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
I usually just deduct 10-12 % of the final selling price for ebay and paypal fees. i use auctive so the extra pics in my listings do not add up like ebays fees do for extra stuff.
Message 28 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
The total amount of fees/commisions/postage/etc involved in a single transaction could easily add up to 21% of the sale

10-15% is about right, depending on the average value of an auction sale over a given period. The higher the value, the lower the %-age. Once you start throwing all all the available bells and whistles, of course, the %-age goes up. Postage is not a fee, and only an expense if you use the incoming money from the buyer as an income center which is a convoluted accounting technique that will distort all your %-ages.

For example, the item you paid $1.00 for, sell for $10.00 and has $5.00 postage has a real value of $10.00, not $15.00. If you use postage as a fee or expense, you have $6.00 out of $15.00 or 40%, not including listing fees, PayPal's cut etc. No need for a PhD in Math here.

The cheerleaders are going to pick apart everything you said in original post. You must speak to them in the same language that eBay uses in all their documentation, or else they wont understand why you don't get it.

People who regulalrly post on the P/T Board try very hard to help others work out difficulties and understand the rules of the game. Apparently, you don't realize that to understand the rules, you have to understand the language. Your comment is akin to people who live in France speaking French and then you complaining they don't understand when you ask for directions in English. That's not cheerleading and I think your comment inappropriate.

Photobucket
Message 29 of 356
latest reply

If your making $800 selling lipstick,..
Message 30 of 356
latest reply