cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

Re: Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

hatter-2
Enthusiast
First thing is they are if not the only game in town, at least the biggest, by far. That gives them the latitude to do things like make all the rules...like return policy, fees...and don't forget Feedback. If you've got this many problems with everything, maybe you're in the wrong business.

Now, take a deep breath...
Photobucket
Message 2 of 356
latest reply

If you really feel this way; why waste your time posting on the boards?

The more time you spend posting new items, gaining an inventory the better chances of sales.

And yes, there loads of venues out there for you to try.
Appreciate what you have before it is taken from you.
ChildrensClothBoutique,Clothing&Shoes&Acc,CustomMadeItems&Svcs.,
EbayToGo,
HandmadeCustomChildrensClothes
PartTimeEbaySellers,Scrapbooking
Photobucket
Message 3 of 356
latest reply

If you think eBay's fees are high, try opening a physical store in a decent location. You'll get crazy buyers there too.

Fees for selling on eBay are clearly posted for anyone to see: Link. If they are too high for you, you can sell elsewhere.

We consider eBay's fees to be very reasonable given the amount of traffic and marketing that they provide. We make sales. We make a profit. We therefore have no problem selling here (in fact I rather enjoy it).
Message 4 of 356
latest reply

"If you really feel this way; why waste your time posting on the boards?"
at least brian responds with kind words and helpful stuff you should learn from him
This is my buying ID. I have used it on & off for years as a posting ID.

Just a head's up. Don't want anyone getting their undies in a bunch over my doing so.
Message 5 of 356
latest reply

keldasales
Enthusiast
If you think eBay's fees are high, try opening a physical store in a decent location. You'll get crazy buyers there too.

I have to agree with this. All stores have operating costs and all retailers have some crazy arsed buyers occasionally. Trick is to keep both to a minimum.

I also think that 21% in ebay (and pay pal fees I hope you mean to include) is pretty good in my as far as cost of selling fees go. If I sell a $1000 bucks, that means I get to keep almost $800. Yay me!!

You can use a fee calculator to help make sure what you are selling is worth selling on ebay, too.

First thing is they are if not the only game in town, at least the biggest, by far.

Even a B&M doesn't get as much daily traffic as ebay. And traffic is the biggest key to selling. You can't get people to look at your stuff, you can't sell it.

You could always find other sites and list on them, then compare which was more profitable over all. Its a good experiment. Good luck!!
Message 6 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
I used to get frustrated about ebay all the time but realized i had to take the good with the bad.
If i did not like it i could just leave. i have looked at other sites and some may compete with ebay in the future but right now for traffic and as much stuff as i sell i will continue to use ebay until my business says i can not.
Message 7 of 356
latest reply

We consider eBay's fees to be very reasonable

That must be the Royal "WE" unless you've got a mouse in your pocket.

It obviously ain't the Collective "We", cuz John the OP doesn't seem to agree with you.

Or is it "We" in the evilBay stockholders' meeting?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 8 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
Looks like your composing a love song to ebay in your pic OMA! LOL!
Message 9 of 356
latest reply

It obviously ain't the Collective "We", cuz John the OP doesn't seem to agree with you.

Or is it "We" in the evilBay stockholders' meeting?

It's "we" as in my partner and I at friendlyplush. We're not a one-man show here.

'Course I'm sure eBay's stockholders don't mind the fees either. 😄
Message 10 of 356
latest reply

keldasales
Enthusiast

It's "we" as in my partner and I at friendlyplush. We're not a one-man show here.

Aww. I was really hoping there was a cute, little, round-eyed mouse in your pocket!
Message 11 of 356
latest reply

Aww. I was really hoping there was a cute, little, round-eyed mouse in your pocket!

Do cute teddy bears on my desk count?
Message 12 of 356
latest reply

keldasales
Enthusiast

Do cute teddy bears on my desk count?

I suppose, but a mouse would be cuter. LOL.
Message 13 of 356
latest reply

My point is "where does it help you in whining?"
Does it improve your situation?

To the posting ID; you don't know me, but it's obvious by your post who you are!
Appreciate what you have before it is taken from you.
ChildrensClothBoutique,Clothing&Shoes&Acc,CustomMadeItems&Svcs.,
EbayToGo,
HandmadeCustomChildrensClothes
PartTimeEbaySellers,Scrapbooking
Photobucket
Message 14 of 356
latest reply

Hey, I'm supposing to be "that guy". 😉

Well, I don't have much to say. The bulk has been mentioned.

I agree that the payoff of exposure is enough to offset any focus on supposed unwarranted fees.

I am sorry you have ill feelings. 😞

Brian
Message 15 of 356
latest reply