cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS EBAY LOSING SELLER'S???

It seems to me that Ebay Is doing it's best to run the smaller seller off Ebay . The new Policies and fee's are a joke . They will learn that it was the smaller seller's that made Ebay what it is today . Not Walmart or Junk from China . No Seller's = No Buyer's = No Ebay .
It's just common sense .
Message 1 of 542
latest reply
541 REPLIES 541

Ya know what's funny? My River sales have suddenly spiked up, way up.....
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 121 of 542
latest reply

[quote mid="514534124"]I am an Aussie, I sell on eBay Aussie and I used to sell in the US as well, but listings in Aus do not get to US boards.quote]
Well G'day Mate & welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

Yup! Times are tough & EvilBay ain't helping much... What kind of uniqe item do you sell?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 122 of 542
latest reply

I am an Aussie, I sell on eBay Aussie and I used to sell in the US as well, but listings in Aus do not get to US boards.

Let's try that again......

Well G'day Mate & welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

Yup! Times are tough & EvilBay ain't helping much... What kind of uniqe item do you sell?
Message 123 of 542
latest reply

Small sellers cannot afford to offer free shipping and most everyone complains about cost. They should check the actual cost of shipping to verify that no money is made from shipping. If the price is listed then they should not bid if they do not agree with the cost. I'm tired of being below standard because everyone thinks they should not have to pay the price of actual shipping.......

I'm amazed. Somebody actually posted something on here that I ACTUALLY AGREE WITH!
Message 124 of 542
latest reply

knittie222
Enthusiast
So true. One thing that I do not think ebay sellers realize - everybody and their granny is now selling "stuff." I too know some who used to make big bucks on ebay and they SAID to me back then this will work until EVERYONE starts doing it. Voila. Add to that a slowed economy - and there you have it. I never did this in lieu of my day job either - thank God.
Message 125 of 542
latest reply

13stealhome2008
Enthusiast

Hi 13StealHome2008 & welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

While you're more than welcome to poke around here I would think you'd find the Sports Cards, Memorabilia & Fan Shop Discussion Board a bit more to your interest.

Hope you do well with that Jeter card!

OK yeah
d8--{\>
Message 126 of 542
latest reply

It is hard as a small seller to afford free shipping so the profit margin is very very slim. With shipping prices going up, it seems I may need to change to media rate items to sell. Or just first class.

There is nothing wrong with First Class. It is a 2-5 day service. Priority is a 2-3 day service. So in times of low volume they will both arrive in 2 days. When is there a time of HIGH volume that would give Priority's sorting order an advantage? Only at Christmas.
Message 127 of 542
latest reply

This is a mighty long thread... it's a shame eBay brass doesn't read this stuff... they might get some real insight into why their volume is dropping (along with their share price) -- I too have been with eBay for many years selling sporadically... it was awesome in the beginning, low fees and everything sold (at times for ridiculous prices) -- those days are gone forever and will never return on eBay.com

I came through here because of an email they sent touting free listing fees regardless of start price and thought it might be nice to throw a few things up for sale... but because it's been a while, and seeing the recent trends I thought I'de better check FV fees and was floored by the 9-15% they are now charging. That is simply ridiculous and why would I ever pay that to a service that never even handles my items directly. Large auction houses who appraise, picture, describe and catalog your items for you can barely hold a candle to these guys.

Years ago Meg Ryan made some outlandish claims of company growth that caused the share price to fly during the dot com boom and everyone was a believer then... reality is that now eBay has hit a brick wall due to over regulation and simply stupid policies. It stopped being about the sellers or buyers or the service they provide... it's now about how to keep wall street happy with increasing earnings, the only way they can keep their earnings possitive is to increase FEES. It's their only source of income, think about it...

I agree with other posts I've read in regard to eBay's future... I believe that they are basically destined to failure at this point (perhaps not any time soon, but eventually) if they do not put a freeze on these ever increasing fees and change their policies as they relate to SELLERS.

To answer the original question "is ebay losing sellers" -- the answer is definately yes... they are offering 100 free listings regardless of start price for the next 2 weeks and changed their fee structure so all items starting under 99 cents are free to list anytime... why? because they want LISTINGS and SELLERS and the only way to get the traffic is to offer these incentives. At 9-15% FV fees and the fees paypal will charge on top of that I'm not even sure I will take them up on their 'generous' offer -- believe me, if I do it will be the junk I would throw in the FREE box at my next garage sale just to see what happens.
Message 128 of 542
latest reply

Well, look at the shameful way they treat their sellers.....if you have a store you don't get the promotional free auctions! What a kick in the face to the store owners!!

Judi
Message 129 of 542
latest reply

are they selling fabric on the River?...I'd learn to swim if they were!

Judi
Message 130 of 542
latest reply

good post! I am getting killed with the listing fees. I really don't mind paying 12% if my item sells. I DO MIND paying 5% for 20 items that are not selling.

I also find it interesting in the stuff that I sell - motorcycle parts. My competitors are all stores with buy it nows. Maybe 10% of the listings are guys like me doing auctions.

I really miss the old low fee days of ebay.
Message 131 of 542
latest reply

Hobby writes:
"FEES. It's their only source of income, think about it... "

Ok , I've thought about it , and all I can come up with is.....

PAY - we're now eBlechs main source of income , and we're not your - PAL !!!

SPITFIRE

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 132 of 542
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
Ebay makes most of there money from paypal. not fees. they try to get sellers to list more by throwing that promotion out there but fail to realize they peeved off so many sellers that they will never come back.
Message 133 of 542
latest reply

As far as I'm concerned PayPal IS eBay and how does paypal make their money? FEES -- I would imagine a portion of paypals income is from interest they earn on money sitting in accounts that exceeds the interest they pay out to the account holders but it's still mainly fees -- Fact of the matter is that when eBay forced everyone to receive their payments only thru Paypal and made it 'illegal' to suggest any other form of payment in their auctions is when I stopped listing with eBay altogether.

Paypals fees have increased over time as well... in the past there were ways to avoid paypal fees by using fund transfers from other account holders but you couldn't accept credit card payments unless you "upgraded" to a premier account - once you did that then you got hit with fees on ALL transactions... some upgrade.

They are not stupid... very greedy but not stupid, and all the loopholes have been closed. No matter what, you end up giving eBay/paypal somewhere around 12-18% of every single sale you make... and on items listing for more than 99 cents it's about18-23%!

hobby
Message 134 of 542
latest reply

Well, look at the shameful way they treat their sellers.....if you have a store you don't get the promotional free auctions! What a kick in the face to the store owners!!

Judi

Free Listings are there to attract New Sellers and inspire Occasional Sellers...
If you have a store evilBay has already sucked you in, and therefore doesn't have to give you Anything!
Your monthly store payment proves that you aren't going anywhere! ]:)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 135 of 542
latest reply