cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do buyers have to respond to open case after seller offers refund?

Excuse me if this is already answered but I've got a question pertaining to the new "open case whenever buyer sends a message marked item not as described" policy.  Just had my first one and I'm about 99% sure the buyer didn't mean to open the case.  Claimed a 300 dollar quilt was stained (the quilt was factory sealed wrapped in plastic no way was it used by anyone but fair enough, it could have been damaged pre package) and told me I should have "sold it for about 150."  I interpreted that as "you should offer me a 150 dollar discount" (lol).  So I sent a polite response through the resolution center apologizing, explaining the new ebay policy about automatically opening cases when sending SNAD messages in case it was, as I suspect, unintentional, and offering a free return shipping label (this is my standard policy when buyer claims damage, I get so few returns that, as of now, I can afford to do this and it's better than eating negs).  Then I clicked the authorize return for full refund button, then send one more message telling the buyer that if she agrees to a return I will gladly send her the free return label.  

We're approaching 24 hours now and buyer has yet to respond.  She may or may not respond but my question is, for buyers who never wanted to return but were fishing for discounts, when they open these cases accidentally by sending SNAD messages how long do they have to respond once the seller takes the appropriate action (authorize return for full refund etc)?  I can see the discount fishers realizing that their fishing expeditions are now being monitored through a case and just ignoring the case after that, will the case automatically be closed in the seller's favor in a certain amount of time?  

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Good morning RiSmith.... Well, maybe I shouldn't say "good":-(.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/resolving-problems.html

If 3 business days have passed, and the seller hasn't responded, you can escalate the case to Customer Service. We'll review the case and may give you a refund up to the purchase price plus original shipping. If we don't hear from you within 30 days of opening the case, we will assume the case has been resolved and we'll close it with no additional action. Once the case has been closed, it can't be reopened.

So you've responded. They now have to respond/escalate and if they don't within 30 days the case is closed, or at least that's what I read. Anyone else?

Hope this helps!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I would give them a bit more time than 24hrs.They may work,who knows which shift,have family,etc..Although I've never had  snad I have had a few returns.I usually give people a few days.I think of it this way,,as sellers we're used to checking our ebay business numerous times a day,but most people who do not sell don't need to check in that often.Many don't check their email until after work and dinner when they have time.If after 2/3 days I don't hear back I then will send a message asking if they need help with the return. I've never not heard back within a few days on any problems.

Looks like honda answered the other info for this issue.Hope it all helps. Sorry your buyer seems to be playing a game,,but maybe the item does have a spot on it from the manufacturer? I bought a blouse new and sealed in a plastic online (not ebay) a few weeks ago.Last week when I went to iron it I found a quarter size fray hole on the back near the arm pit not easily seen.Although rare unfortunately it does happen.I hope your buyer is nice fair things. 🙂

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

,and told me I should have "sold it for about 150."  

YA RIGHT !!!

If you had sold it for $150.....( with the same factory sealed stain..) they'd be telling you it should have sold for $75 !!!!:^O

and so on and so forth ...........

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Cool, so Ebay gives the seller 3 days to respond or they might go ahead and refund all the money after that.

They give the buyer another 30 days After the claim was opened to mess around.

Sounds like a fair and reasonable policy to me.

Wow, I don't know how you Power Sellers do it. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

graphixv wrote:

Do what?

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Hello, I am not trying to hijack this thread but I am in the same position with one more variable, the buyer left me negative feedback before the case is closed. I also offered full refund.  How is this fair and what can I do to wipe away this bad feedback?

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Without more details, it's hard to say, but first off - it's probably not fair, but that's not really relevant.  As far as getting it removed, there's very little chance of that unless he threatened you with bad feedback unless you gave him a refund . . . sorry, that's just the way it is sometimes.

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

mnhunter505, about all I can say with the info given is reply professionally to the negative FB left.

Something like, "Offered full refund."

In other words, don't call the buyer a liar like I've seen a lot of sellers do - it makes them look difficult to deal with.

edit - oh, and I see the buyer called YOU names.  They are going on my BBL.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for the info, yes, I was called a cheat and liar. Anyways, I don't understand how I can offer full refund and the buyer not have to change his feedback. I have met his demands but still not good enough. ugh.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

ebay says the FB is an opinion and if that's the buyer's opinion, nothing can be done. You can contact the buyer & ask them to revise. Don't know if I would even bother after someone calling me a liar over an $8 item.  It's up to the buyer.

I got a neutral on my other selling account from a person who accused me of shill bidding a $7 item up to $10. Yeah, right. They were new to ebay & didn't understand how sniping programs work and also the idea of shill bidding a whopping $3 is ludicrous. I am still waiting for it to drop off, which happens in 12 months.

Anyway - I hope you answered the buyer protection case for the buyer to return the item for a full refund.  Reason I ask is, the ebay default answer is for the buyer to keep the item and the seller refund.

Is the case closed, now? Did they return it?  Did you refund?

edit - woo hoo on your teal star for 100+ feedbacks!

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Way too long winded and way short on patience dear.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Ha ha!  Yeah, sellers always get the shaft on Ebay. 

@graphixv wrote:

Cool, so Ebay gives the seller 3 days to respond or they might go ahead and refund all the money after that.

They give the buyer another 30 days After the claim was opened to mess around.

Sounds like a fair and reasonable policy to me.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Shafted?  Maybe.  But I'll take selling on eBay over opening another retail storefront any day.

Yeah some buyers are crooks.  But if you plan ahead for a certain % of loss, you should be fine financially.  And if you take some basic steps to protect yourself, losses can be minimized.

It's been my experience that there are just as many bad buyers on eBay as there are in B&M sales.  A lot of people don't expect this; particularly if they've never managed a retail operation before.  So it can come as a shock.

Belive me, it's worse if you have a physical store and hire employees.

By far, the #1 reason I've fired people over the years, is theft.

The biggest labor cost aside from wages, benefits, taxes, and other accounting expenses, is theft.

Most people who steal from a store, work for that store; by nearly a 3-to-1 ratio if I remember the latest stats correctly.

Think about it, you're hiring a stranger whose true intent you don't know, and who has access to both your money and inventory.

(Good employees are like solid gold.  Which is why it amazes me how many companies don't try to keep them through good wages and benefits.)

So yeah, eBay sucks, is a greedy corporation, cares only about the money, and blah blah blah.  But comparitevely, they're not so bad.  Most sellers here don't have employees to worry about.  Taking some basic precautions can prevent most problems.  That's how the PowerSellers do it.

And eBay does offer some protections for sellers.  Negative feedback left by a buyer after a Buyer Protection case is won by the seller is removed automatically, for example.

Anyway, I'm done writing for now.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Yeah, or, what corporate-speak likes to call 'Shrink'. Depending on the type of retail operation, employee theft/mistakes can be the largest losers for a store.

Honestly, if some of the largest moaners on Ebay had to manage an average chain store for a week, they'd really run screaming into the night.