cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Value Fees are too high!!

eddieg11
Pathfinder
I think 10% is too high for eBay to charge for a final fee for items purchased. The bigger the item the lower percentage the fee should be. Giving up 10% for an item that you sell for $500 should not cost you $50 to process. Especially sinc most things are sold under cost on eBay. Thoughts?
Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

Re: Final Value Fees are too high!!

So now that we agree that Ebay Final value fees are so high, what can we do about it? Any ideas? Petition?

@eddieg11 wrote:
I think 10% is too high for eBay to charge for a final fee for items purchased. The bigger the item the lower percentage the fee should be. Giving up 10% for an item that you sell for $500 should not cost you $50 to process. Especially sinc most things are sold under cost on eBay. Thoughts?

Message 61 of 110
latest reply

Postage charges are pure theft.

The post has nothing to do with Ebay.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO SELL SOMTHING ON EBAY AND LOSE MONEY.

Greed is taking over...

Message 62 of 110
latest reply

After four years of the shipping FVF, sellers should have either adjusted or bailed.
Message 63 of 110
latest reply

Lets combine and start search of alternative sites which charge lesser fees. Ebay is popular because of us (sellers) and we must make them realise that we will leave if they do not lower this.

10% as final fee value and then 10% on shipping as well is ridiculous.

Message 64 of 110
latest reply

I'm not a full-time EBayer, just an occasional seller with good items from time to time.

I haven't sold anything on EBay in a while. I come back, sell two items, and find that shipping charges and fees took 35%! Of course that does not include the value of my time spent photographing, listing, packing, shipping, and answering customers' questions.

Not sure I made the right move coming back. Paying out that big a percentage makes selling on EBay seem hardly worth the trouble. Maybe c's list or even Goodwill would be a better option.

Message 65 of 110
latest reply

Your buyers should be paying your shipping charges.
Message 66 of 110
latest reply

I was also surprised by the HIGH FEES selling on eBay!!  I will NOT use them anymore, which unfortunate because I love the safeguards eBay provides ( which should be able to be covered easily with 3-5% commission)

Message 67 of 110
latest reply

@purebliss1971 wrote:

I was also surprised by the HIGH FEES selling on eBay!!  I will NOT use them anymore, which unfortunate because I love the safeguards eBay provides ( which should be able to be covered easily with 3-5% commission)

@purebliss1971  There is no reason to be surprised by eBay fees as they are all stated quite clearly ~ 10% of the total selling price for eBay in most categories without a store, and 2.9% plus .30¢ for PayPal.  In addition, listing fees are displayed on the listing form before you hit "post".

If you find another selling venue that only charges 5% and reaches the world wide audience that eBay does, by all means, come back and let us know.

In the future, read the boards and groups and ask questions before you start selling and you will receive valuable information that will make your eBay selling profitable and fun.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 68 of 110
latest reply

@purebliss1971 wrote:

I was also surprised by the HIGH FEES selling on eBay!!

I hope you read the prices on a restaurant's menu...

get a "surprise" there and you could be washing dishes.

Message 69 of 110
latest reply

I didn't know about these fees until after I sold the item!  You have to search and search to find the actual fees, eBay should be ashamed!  

Message 70 of 110
latest reply

Really?? That's the response!

Message 71 of 110
latest reply

@purebliss1971 yup, really... what more do you want??????????????????????????

eBay doesn't hide it's fee structure under a rock in the middle of the Enchanted Forrest...

The fees are clearly posted for all to read. If you can't do that much to educate yourself,

eBay ain't for you, because contrary to what many believe, eBay is a business, it's not a

chatrity. If you want cheap, or free... haul your treasures to the end of the driveway...

Option 1, is called a Yard Sale, you may have heard of it, Option 2, is called Garbage Day.

Oh, and yes, both are FREE.

Message 72 of 110
latest reply

Hmmm... my response above failed to cover a few other issues that may "surprise" you.

• You can't leave Negs, or Neuts for buyers... that's new... uh... since 2008.
  • Free Shipping isn't really free, you still have to pay the Post Office.
  • No Returns, does not mean No Refunds.

Have a nice day. smile.gif

Message 73 of 110
latest reply

@purebliss1971 wrote:

I didn't know about these fees until after I sold the item!  You have to search and search to find the actual fees, eBay should be ashamed!  

@purebliss1971

Hmm ... the bottom of every listing looks like this, with a total of the insertion fees and a disclaimer that you will be charged a fee when the item sells:

fees1.jpg

Clicking on the i tells you to click on the amount ... clicking on the insertion fee total gives you this (also with a disclaimer that you will pay a fee when the item sells):

fees2.jpg

And clicking on "Learn More" in either the first screen or the second screen brings you here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/insertion-fee.html#fvf

That doesn't seem very "hidden" or buried so deep that you have to "search and search".

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 74 of 110
latest reply

Garage sales may be free,but where I live there is a fee monthly for garbage collection 🚚👌
Message 75 of 110
latest reply