cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Value Fees are too high!!

eddieg11
Pathfinder
I think 10% is too high for eBay to charge for a final fee for items purchased. The bigger the item the lower percentage the fee should be. Giving up 10% for an item that you sell for $500 should not cost you $50 to process. Especially sinc most things are sold under cost on eBay. Thoughts?
Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

Re: Final Value Fees are too high!!

I don't have a probl;em with e bay's FVF.  Try selling on consignment through a Brick and mortor store and see how much they charge you.  Try going through an auction house and see how much they charge you in TOTAL commissions.

In my previous life I was a District Manager for large retail companies.  You would be surprised how much it takes to run a business.  10% is good for fees considering you are reaching millions of people daily.

Think about it........

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 110
latest reply

Why would anybody sell on eBay under cost?
If you check out other options, eBay is a deal. I know, blast away.
Fees are part of a business plan. if no can do, don't do
Message 3 of 110
latest reply

Pay the $15/month for the store subscription. The fees go down, and on a $500 item, the amount saved might be more than enough to pay for the $15.

Message 4 of 110
latest reply

Try selling on the River. They take 15% + an additional flat fee ($1.35 for books).

I sell women's clothing and pay 9% FVF. It's a deal compared to my next best option for selling.

Message 5 of 110
latest reply

I so agree that 10% is too high for FVF.  Hey, it's just not that! Now we pay fees on "shipping" and also on "Paypal" that eBay cleverly bought out for the monopoly of the game.  Geeze.  This latest hike on FVF to 10% is outrageous considering all the other fees involved.  WHY do we get charged on shipping fees?  We have to pay Post Office fees to get the item to the buyer, why to eBay now?  I never charge service charges over and above postage, but have grown to resent having to pay fees twice on postage!  

Also.....who came up with this 30% over starting price, for a Buy-It-Now fee???? WHAT??? 30 percent???  I sell my items close to cost or retail.  Hardly ever making much, just getting the items out of my house!  BIN fees are for the advantage of the "BUYER" and eBAY.  The Buyer gets the item faster.....eBay gets their fees faster.....so who's making out here?  Not me!  People are not going to buy items priced at 30% over to get the item.  Geeze eBay - wake up!!!  So BIN is not worth the effort! It was 10%, over the listing price,  which was reasonable, but NOT 30%.!  Outrageous!

There.  I had my vent.  Heat does strange things mentally!

Message 6 of 110
latest reply

yea, the river SUCKS for clothing sellers. 😞
they force you to pay for a seller subscription
and then on top of that they have to approve what you want to sell, imagine paying for the subscription only to find out they wont allow you to sell your items.
im not going to even try selling on the river because of it.
Message 7 of 110
latest reply

GA just do auctions, or buy it now listings, or a mix of both.
doing an auction with a buy it now option is useless now.
this is most likely why they made that change, they want you to choose one or the other not both in one listing.
Message 8 of 110
latest reply

@eddieg11 wrote:
Especially sinc most things are sold under cost on eBay. Thoughts?

My thought is that the flaw is in your selling strategy, not in eBay's 10% final value fee.

Message 9 of 110
latest reply

Saw this answer on another board regarding the 30% BIN - interesting!

fruitacres
Community Member

Re: Being FORCED again to list my BIN at UNREASONABLE HIGH PRICE
in reply to etvideo1ataol

It would appear that the problem with the previous 10% margin was that too many auctions with BIN were ending with the BIN price instead of garnering bids and running up higher sales price.

By plan, then, 30% margin should get a greater number of opening bids, thus removing teh BIN option, and hopefully for all parties scoring a final price higher than your BIN.

But, like said, nobody forces you to use BIN on an auction and if it does not work try something else.

Our country's #1 export?

- Money! (think about it)

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 10 of 110
latest reply

imo years ago it would have worked out that way, but now? i dont know. I personally have not seen much bidding on auctions. maybe its just me tho...
Message 11 of 110
latest reply

10% is cheap, comparatively.

When I ran B&M stores, I paid upwards of 22-25% each week, just for labor costs.  To say nothing of inventory, overhead, insurance, taxes, payment processing, etc., etc.

I currently pay about 17% per sale for both eBay and PayPal fees, leaving an 83% margin.

If you can't make money on an 80%+ margin, you're doing something wrong.

Message 12 of 110
latest reply

Yeah, Yeah...

Here is where everyone sucks-up to evilBay.

When I first started selling back in 2007... FVF's were 3% for auctions, 10% for Fixed Price.

(There is one reason why there were more auctions back then)

Like I have said... Let's go back to the old Fees.

Charge for ALL listings... and only charge 3% FVF for auctions, 10% for Fixed Price.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 13 of 110
latest reply

@adf07bid wrote:
imo years ago it would have worked out that way, but now? i dont know. I personally have not seen much bidding on auctions. maybe its just me tho...

In the ole dazerip 

unless you clicked the search button for Buy It Now listings

all you would see were Auctions and Auctions-with-BIN

Store listing that were totally fixed price were separate. 

That was because back then eBay was a Auction site.

Now I don't know what it is...

But if you search hard enough, you can still find good stuff.

First... Always click Used in your search.cool

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 14 of 110
latest reply

The reason for the fees on the shipping are because when we had free listing fees on items that were $.99 and lower, sellers were jacking up their shipping to avoid the listing fees.  There are always a few bad apples in every crowd and now everybody pays.

I do believe the 30% for the BIN is extremely high, but ebay has to make up for the 50 free listings a month some how.  It does hurt sales,  I know.  Send a suggestion to ebay.  I do.  If more people would do this, maybe things would change.  The forums can't do it.

Message 15 of 110
latest reply