eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping????

[ Edited ]
in reply to suncoin-fl

Welcome, suncoin!

I'm not happy with FVF on shipping, but it's not illegal. It's clearly in the ebay user agreement. 

Also, it depends on state laws whether there's tax on S&H.

It's taxable in about half the states, Florida among them, unless it’s listed separately from the price of the item.

Also states have different rules about the tax on itmes, whether it's an origin or destination tax rate.

http://blog.taxjar.com/sales-tax-and-shipping/

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

On the surface,it appears there is something underhanded, shady or perhaps downright illegal with ebay's FVF on shipping charges

When you order anything from any legit on-line retailer in this country, they are obligated to charge Sales Tax on the item when applicable within the state or country. A general charge would  involve the item, plus the tax percentage in the state where it originates. Shipping charges are then applied where applicable.
I have NEVER seen an online company charge sales tax on the S&H charges also!. No one but the transport medium is supposed to make extra money on the item sale.

It is about time for a major campaign of letter/email complaints to federal and state Dept of Consumer Affairs, print and visual media about a practice that is probably illegal if not certainly distasteful and restrictive to fair business practices.

Start complaining where it counts the most- Publicity - Government! Even eBay tends to be shady.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to mzwizard

mzwizard wrote:
...When I add shipping I charge the actual amount that the shipping is.  Generally they charge too little and I wind up being billed more by fedex.

There's been quite a few posts where ebay's quote for FedEx isn't correct. If you must use FedEx, I suggest signing up on the FedEx site for an account. I'm pretty sure their online price for printing postage gives the same discount ebay gives. You'll have to enter the tracking number in your auctions automatically, though.

mzwizard wrote:

Why on earth am I being charged a fee on shipping when the amount I collect is going directly to shipping??????

That's been around for several years....none of us like it. Before, lots of sellers were listing things for 99 cents with $20,$50,$100 shipping so they could get out of paying ebay final value fees.

Now everyone's being punished.

mzwizard wrote:
So I guess I should just jack up what I charge for the item and offer free shipping. It's probably the same total "fee" but at least I don't feel like I am getting screwed by paying a fee on shipping!!??!!

You'll also get auto 5-star rating on shipping cost, if that interests you. Some items, offering free shipping is easiest to do. Other things (heavy items), not so much...it can make them too expensive to sell here.

Community Member

in reply to mzwizard
So I guess I should just jack up what I charge for the item and offer free shipping. It's probably the same total "fee" but at least I don't feel like I am getting screwed by paying a fee on shipping!!??!!
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

What the hell is a "final value fee on shipping"?   So the give me a shipping "discount" but then charge me a fee on the shipping?  When I add shipping I charge the actual amount that the shipping is.  Generally they charge too little and I wind up being billed more by fedex.

Why on earth am I being charged a fee on shipping when the amount I collect is going directly to shipping??????

Community Member

in reply to a.best.buy

I would rather sell my items than just throw them away. Thats just me. Even if I earn $1 off the sale, its $1 I didnt have before. Don't give me lip about my selling methods. If you're such a baller then good for you. The point is ebay shouldn't be punishing the force that makes their money. The root problem is Ebay's final fee for shipping. Amazon credits us for selling, and Ebay fines us.  

Community Member

in reply to polarblue74

You are correct that Ebay has a virtual monopoly but you must remember that Ebay is owned by shareholders who require the company to make the most profit possible. That is free market capitalism. If you are unable to compete in that type of business environment, you will be consumed by those who can.

Quit trying to sell things that cost too much to package and ship and focus on higher profit items. Spend more time gathering free shipping materials. Learn how to make your own boxes. Stop wasting your time complaining about getting screwed by the system and spend more time figuring out how to beat the system. I know it is difficult but you need to get in front of the 8-ball instead of behind it.

You already have the knowledge and skill to list an item and sell it.  That puts you ahead of most other people. What you need is some fine tuning to direct your energy into making more profit and less loss. A penny saved is a penny earned. I wish you luck. You will need it.

Community Member

in reply to a.best.buy

Charging extra for an item to cover "free" shipping?  They're still getting 10% of it either way.  Might as well make the item look better to the buyer by charging a lower price and actual shipping since some people only focus on the selling price.

Ebay is screwing the seller more and more each year.   Shipping always costs me more than the actual price. Packing material gets expensive after selling so much.  Bubble wrap and packing peanuts aren't free.  Boxes aren't free unless you scrouge the supermarket and hope to find the right size.   Yet they're getting a percentage of shipping I'm actually losing money on.

I wish a company would overthrow ebay.  They know it's the fastest way for the average person to sell their stuff online, and are pushing sellers beyond the limit.   They basically have a monopoly when it comes to online auctions.  Either use ebay or some obscure site where your stuff will sit forever.   And people on craigslist are too cheap to pay responable prices.

Community Member

in reply to yamafx4dude

If the difference between making money or not rests on the FVF of shipping costs, your ebay business is barely making anything. You would be better off trashing those items and spending the time doing something of value like walking the dog or cleaning the bathroom.  If you can make more money on Amazon, you would be a fool not to sell your junk there.

yamafx4dude wrote:

This free shipping cr ap has really caused me some issues selling lower value items. I have to raise the cost of the item to cover shipping and then the item is basically unsellable. The rare times I do charge shipping, I am always at a loss. Tell me how Ebay makes money when i end up trashing something because I cant sell it? Ebay is protecting its profits this way? Ebay needs to fix this. I have a Amazon account and whenever I can, Ill put my item there and I always hope it sells through Amazon. Amazon has it down. 

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

This free shipping cr ap has really caused me some issues selling lower value items. I have to raise the cost of the item to cover shipping and then the item is basically unsellable. The rare times I do charge shipping, I am always at a loss. Tell me how Ebay makes money when i end up trashing something because I cant sell it? Ebay is protecting its profits this way? Ebay needs to fix this. I have a Amazon account and whenever I can, Ill put my item there and I always hope it sells through Amazon. Amazon has it down. 

Community Member

in reply to kansas_gal06

I quit doing auctions and went to fixed price with free shipping.  The price includes a hefty charge for shipping, extra percentage to cover FVF and another factor to help offset the cost of putting up with frivolous returns.  It's not a perfect solution but better than taking it on the chin every time.

Community Member

in reply to donnaannod

You're welcome!

No, there is no way around the FVF on shipping unless it's local pickup.

Community Member

in reply to kansas_gal06

Thanks. I was looking for that simple answer. No reason for peoploe  to blather on with no point but to villify those with a lgitimate question!  It's my first month actually selling more than a few things and found the feature of doing my shipping through Ebay/Paypal, simpe and efficient, being blinded by the 'discount' until I saw the fees.  I was wondering if I just went to USPS.com if I could bypass this fee (doesn't make sense to pay this on a $3.00 item. )  But if I read their statement correctly, it says you are charged a final value fee of the combined winning bid and what you are paid for shipping. The way it's worded, it really doesn't sound like there is a way around it.

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping Scam from Ebay?

in reply to kansas_gal06

Is this charge legal at all? I mean there is no profit in shipping, so how they can charge us a fee when something is not profitable ? Can't we just file a law suit based on that fact? 

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to feloniusbunsenburner

feloniusbunsenburner wrote:

.... price for driving into our service bay, price for parking in our parking lot before driving into our service bay, surcharge for reading magazines subscribed to by tire shop while waiting for tires to be installed,....

Does anyone know how I can EASILY contact eBay directly? (assuming they don't have moles reading these posts - they're probably hiring snoops with the $$ they collect from 'Final Value shipping fees').  I have always believed it is best to complain directly to those responsible.

Welcome to the part time sellers board!

That part in red made me laugh - thanks for the chuckle.

I think all those little nickel & dime charges are left over from 20 years ago when it was more difficult to program extra features into the site and/or server storage was more costly. 

Kind of like, ebay used to charge for more than one photo, so sellers had to jump through HTML hoops to embed more photos into the listings. Until enough buyers & sellers both complained enough about it, and ebay figured out it was to THEIR benefit (not ours) that more photos be shown since it could cut down on issues after the sales.

Also scheduling start times - that used to cost more, and now it's free.

I don't think they'll ever get rid of their reserve price. It must be a cash cow for ebay, when new sellers don't know reserve pricing is a ripoff and are reading the advice to start their items at 99 cents but are smart enough to know their item could end up at 99 cents.

But I digress. You can google "ebay phone number" but that gets you to customer service, which is not what I think you want.

Instead, I suggest hitting the "tell us what you think" link that's on just about every ebay page:

tell us what you think.png

edit: There's also a weekly chat with ebay staff. If you are around on Wednesdays, you could post in that discussion thread.

Except, it is not happening this week since the 2 employees who run it are out of town.
hover your mouse over "Discussion boards" then look for  "Inside ebay" then click on "weekly chat with ebay staff"

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I'm not a gigantic seller on eBay, but what is going on??  A 'Final Value Fee' for shipping?  I look at the breakdown of my invoices and can't believe the "nickel and dime" mentality at eBay . . . and then add on the PayPal fees, surcharges, and etcetera - These two entities have a really good 'tag-team' system going.  I hate **bleep**ing about things like this, so I guess I'm supposed to play and pay by their rules or get out - thanks for the choice eBay/PayPal.  Yes - I, too, thought I was getting a great deal on shipping - How easy it is to do all this right from my selling page, etc. - WOW, the nice folks at eBay looking out for me.

Perhaps they have a disclaimer embedded somewhere on the shipping page, stating the existence of the final value shipping fee, and I just missed it.

Here's a suggestion to you eBay - Roll everything into a single per-transaction charge (all your little fees for listing, relisting, shipping, etc., etc. - Get your bean-counters to figure it out.  This is the 'common-man' approach that eBay used to be about.  When I go to buy a set of tires (random example here, I know) I don't want to end up with an invoice that reads out:  price for each tire, price for mounting, price for balancing, price for road hazard, Federal excise tax on tires, price for tire weights as part of balancing, price for air or nitrogen in tires, price for valve stems, price for discarding tires in landfill, price for driving into our service bay, price for parking in our parking lot before driving into our service bay, surcharge for reading magazines subscribed to by tire shop while waiting for tires to be installed, price for analysis by tire service technician/sales associate, etcetera, etcetera - you get the picture.  "Mr./Mrs. so-and-so, the total price for your set of tires, tax included, is . . . "   FOR 'G.D.' SAKES - Give me ONE FLAT % CHARGE - or something like that!  And eBay thinks it's going to expand its operations and compete with Amazon and AliBaba - Not like this, its not.  Here's another idea for you eBay, speaking of Amazon - Offer sellers (and buyers, for that matter) something akin to Amazon Prime - Pay one flat fee annually and get listing fees, shipping fees, fee fees, etc. all covered - Based on given buyers' and sellers' history you could require different levels of this 'Prime'-type system.  Some would overuse, some would underuse - plenty of firms survive on a model like this and do quite well - Health clubs/spas, for instance.  The bottom-line is that this eBay fee 'thing' is over-the-top frustrating.

Does anyone know how I can EASILY contact eBay directly? (assuming they don't have moles reading these posts - they're probably hiring snoops with the $$ they collect from 'Final Value shipping fees').  I have always believed it is best to complain directly to those responsible.

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping Scam from Ebay?

in reply to kansas_gal06

I totally down. It's gotten a bit ridulous.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

This should be illegal.  Why are we paying a fee on a service we do ourselves.  We should then have an option to tell you that Printing the Label, Tape, Boxes, all cost money.  Give me a break! You guys want to compete with Amazon, good luck with that.  Ebay will be my last option if this continues.  You would think the seller would be Ebay's top priority since we do the work.  Just keep taking until we don't give.

coloradojudd wrote:
Holy **bleep**,

ebay now charges final value fees for the price of shipping????
I charged $7.15 for shipping an item in a listing.
It cost me $7.15 to ship that item.
Ebay charged me a $0.72 final value shipping fee.
I lost money.

What **bleep**!
The response was from customer support was that this was an improvement to ebay to encourage free shipping.
How the heck can I afford free shipping?
The small time seller is getting pushed out of ebay.
Guess I'll stick to Craigslist.

Community Member

in reply to goodie-hunter

goodie-hunter wrote:

.... ebay negotiated with these national shippers for a lower rate for us, they essentially couldn't pass up being greedy about it and decided they wanted a cut of the action they worked ot make happen.   .....  

What makes this FVF for shipping appear being innappropriate is that it is very akin to Taxation without Representation.  ...

Actually ebay didn't negotiate anything, AFAIK.

You can go to the USPS website and get a discount for buying postage online without ebay or paypal even being involved.

Same with getting a UPS or FedEx online account - there is a discount if you print your own postage rather than going to a retail store

(Kinkos,The UPS Store).

Not sure I would compare a company's policy to taxation. For some reason that made me giggle.

I agree with everyone who's already said, I think there should have been some way to weed out the sellers who were avoiding final value fees, rather than punish the honest sellers.

Especially the sellers who were selling big & heavy items like vintage car parts - their fees went up the most. The little 1st class postage packages, the fees went up another 40 cents at most. Heavy items, it was $2 and up so I assume those sellers raised their prices to cover it.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

EBAY tacking on a fee to shipping does nothing to deter anyone from charging more on shipping.   The 10%  fee is basically the same amount as the item.   I suspect what happened was that EBAY negotiated with the various shipping entities for a lower rate for EBAY users.   We can see this EBAY Discount when we print a shipping label.  On one item I am printing now its 12% Discount.  But of course EBAY gets back 10%.  So I only get a 2% discount from the shipper for being an ebay user.   But of course its the Seller this is taken from not the Buyer even tho the Buyer is paying for shipping.  That doesn't seem right.  

I think what happened was that because ebay negotiated with these national shippers for a lower rate for us, they essentially couldn't pass up being greedy about it and decided they wanted a cut of the action they worked ot make happen.   Of course this means we as sellers received almost no benefit for selling on ebay even tho they should have gotten some reasonable benefit.  The shipping rates are for small sellers are rediculously high and this is causing serious changes in selling behavior.  

What makes this FVF for shipping appear being innappropriate is that it is very akin to Taxation without Representation.  Neither the Seller nor Buyer sees any of this shipping money.  Paypal is already charging on the Paypal expenditure on what the Buyer is paying on Shipping.  But the Seller is also paying this fee to EBAY on this portion for money that the Seller never actually receives or has any contact with.  

Why couldn't EBAY just let us receive a little benefit here and become a good reason to use EBAY?  They really are making enough money from us.  Their infrastructure is all in place.  Make ebay better for us that way we are happy with ebay and keep using it, instead of causing us to find alternatives because of these screwey charges.