eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping????

in reply to suncoin-fl

Taxes for shipping is illegal, because you're taxing a service--right?

suncoin-fl wrote:

On the surface,it appears there is something underhanded, shady or perhaps downright illegal with ebay's FVF on shipping charges

When you order anything from any legit on-line retailer in this country, they are obligated to charge Sales Tax on the item when applicable within the state or country. A general charge would  involve the item, plus the tax percentage in the state where it originates. Shipping charges are then applied where applicable.
I have NEVER seen an online company charge sales tax on the S&H charges also!. No one but the transport medium is supposed to make extra money on the item sale.

It is about time for a major campaign of letter/email complaints to federal and state Dept of Consumer Affairs, print and visual media about a practice that is probably illegal if not certainly distasteful and restrictive to fair business practices.

Start complaining where it counts the most- Publicity - Government! Even eBay tends to be shady.

Community Member

in reply to heyou9

Webstore.com  NO SELLER'S FEES !!!  ZERO !!!

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

if my buyer pays equal or less than the actual shipping charges, i call ebay and have them remove the value fee on shipping, hereby to be known as the 'ebay shipping penalty'. it's an arduous process of dealing with an ebay call handler that tries to explain that the 'ebay shipping penalty' is not a penalty. we all know it is. i encourage everyone to keep track of the actual shipping costs and compare them with what was calculated and paid by the buyer, then contest every wrongful 'ebay shipping penalty'. it may be small change, but if everyone contests wrongful 'ebay shipping penalties', perhaps things would change. i can not imagine the vast amounts of basically free money ebay skims with their 'ebay shipping penalty'. it's wrong.

Community Member

in reply to sapphirehurricane

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Short answer - 10%

Long answer - Click the above link

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Community Member

I don't mean the regular FVF, but the additional Shipping FVF?

Community Member

in reply to lovethose49ers

Well, I've been reading how much but what exactly is it? Why? What is the reason for it? What exactly are they charging me for? Is it just like eBay's version of a sales tax?

Community Member

sapphirehurricane wrote:

I'm sorry. I'm very confused.
I don't offer free shipping - ever.
And I don't use their "discounted" label printing option.

So what exactly is the Shipping FVF and why exactly are they charging ME for it?
Everyone gets it no matter what?

FVF is on the total price your item ends up with.

$10 +2.95 shipping = 12.95

12.95 + 0 Shipping = 12.95

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I'm sorry. I'm very confused.
I don't offer free shipping - ever.
And I don't use their "discounted" label printing option.

So what exactly is the Shipping FVF and why exactly are they charging ME for it?
Everyone gets it no matter what?

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Totally BS,

Final Value fee for shipping ------- I charged the actual cost for the shipping. Why I have to pay for the fee?

So many fees that the seller has to pay:

Listing, reserve price fee ------- Althought the seller didn't sell the item because the buyer didn't want to pay for what he/she bidded. This fee should be charged to the unresponsible buyer. Why the seller need to pay for it?

To ebay policy maker, this is not how you should do the business. Too much greedy will cost you. The business model should be win-win for everyone. Seller paid for the fee that they sold the item. Buyer got to pay the price that they are happy. You, ebay, got the fee for that. If your policy is for you and buyer to win, there one day will be no one who wants to sell their stuffs here.

Community Member

in reply to stephanie_dl

The eBay work around on this matter was you offer free shipping and they charge you fees on the cheapest shipping service offered so free meant no fees. Apparently this ended because I realized a while back I started incurring fees on two day and other forms of shipping even though I offered free shipping. In the end it's all about pinching they take a penny or a dollar here and there which adds up to extra profit which results in management walking away with higher bonuses and in the end that's all management of most companies care about.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Ouch!!  I just noticed the final value fees that ebay has been charging me over the past few weeks. I'm actually losing money on my sales.  I sold on ebay several years ago and I was fairly profitable.  This time around I listed my items as I did before and sold them.  My fixed prices for shipping included the actual cost of postage and packaging materials.  The Final Value Fees for Shipping are actually more than the profit I'll make on my items (several inexpensive items, but that works out to be a lot of money out of my pocket).  I'm not making ANYTHING on these items, I'm just feeding money to eBay OUT OF POCKET with nothing to show in return.  Outrageous.  But...

There's a reason why they're doing this.  A while back I read an article about how eBay sellers want to get the leading edge on their market, so they want to list their item as cheap as possible to get one-up on their competition.  You'll notice that eBay even suggests starting your item at $0.99.  So what some sellers have decided to do is work a chunk of profit into their shipping cost so that they would receive a guaranteed profit amount for items that sold for almost nothing, and they would also avoid the Final Value Fee that was charged on the selling price of an item.  I guess eBay caught on and now we're all paying the price for the dirty deeds of a few bad sellers.  

Good way to drive away the sellers though, eBay.  Like I said, I've been using eBay for years and I had planned on continuing to do so.  Now, when I finish this post, I'm going to end all of my current auctions.  I'll continue my more successful and profitable sales on Amazon.ca where they actually PAY sellers a shipping credit instead of taking money away.  Amazon.ca's listing fees are sensible and don't cost sellers money.  Taking money from our shipping costs totally defeats the purpose of selling online.  eBay has been a hostile environment to sellers for a while, in my opinion.  Taking away our option to leave negative feedback for dirty buyers?!?!!!!  There's only one reason why I would ever leave negative feedback for a buyer and that would be because they did something inappropriate to scam me out of money or product.  It has happened a couple of times in the past and there is no way to warn other sellers, but these creeps have a spotless 100% positive feedback rating!?  Still, when they do something to spoil a sale, they have the option to leave negative feedback for a seller.  

My suggestion:  Take away the Final Value Fee on Shipping.  Charge buyers a small fee for packaging materials/handling costs and allow sellers to charge an actual cost of shipping calculated on the site by product weight/dimensions and shipping service.  Let sellers duke it out over the lowest cost they're willing to charge for an item.  True profit and competition. Until something like this happens, I encourage sellers to find another source for  selling your wares.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd
eBay doesn't care about sellers...It would be easy for them figure out how much actual money is spent on shipping...using shipping costs to figure final value fees is nothing short of THIE VERY.
Community Member

in reply to infinitegray

The FVF is based on the total amount the buyer pays. eBay breaks it into 2 parts, the amount paid for the item, and the amount paid for the shipping.

If a buyer pays $10 for the item and $10 for shipping, the total FVF would be $2 ... $1 and $1

For international shipping, the FVF should be for 10% of your lowest domestic shipping option on the listing.

Use the calculator to see what the shipping would be to your town ... or if you are using flat rate, use that amount to calculate what the FVF should be.

You cannot know the final shipping FVF until the buyer pays.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/insertion-fee.html#fvf

Final value fees on shipping

Final values fees on shipping charges are calculated using the shipping service the buyer chooses.

However, when you offer an international or one-day shipping service and it's selected by your buyer, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first domestic service in your listing that isn't one-day, or

• Your international or one-day shipping service

Patience is the ability to let your light shine after your fuse has blown out.

PostingID

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I'm confused about the final value fee for shipping.  (It has been a while since I last used Ebay and this is new to me.)  I sent an invoice to the buyer for the price it was sold, plus the shipping estimate that I obtained independently.  The "final value fee" for shipping (about $90) will apparently either exceed or come very close to what I have charged the buyer for shipping.  I am selling from Canada and the item would be going to the United States; the buyer is responsible for import duties.  Can someone please explain what the final value fee is about and whether I am obliged to pay the full amount to ebay?

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to suncoin-fl

Welcome, suncoin!

I'm not happy with FVF on shipping, but it's not illegal. It's clearly in the ebay user agreement. 

Also, it depends on state laws whether there's tax on S&H.

It's taxable in about half the states, Florida among them, unless it’s listed separately from the price of the item.

Also states have different rules about the tax on itmes, whether it's an origin or destination tax rate.

http://blog.taxjar.com/sales-tax-and-shipping/

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

On the surface,it appears there is something underhanded, shady or perhaps downright illegal with ebay's FVF on shipping charges

When you order anything from any legit on-line retailer in this country, they are obligated to charge Sales Tax on the item when applicable within the state or country. A general charge would  involve the item, plus the tax percentage in the state where it originates. Shipping charges are then applied where applicable.
I have NEVER seen an online company charge sales tax on the S&H charges also!. No one but the transport medium is supposed to make extra money on the item sale.

It is about time for a major campaign of letter/email complaints to federal and state Dept of Consumer Affairs, print and visual media about a practice that is probably illegal if not certainly distasteful and restrictive to fair business practices.

Start complaining where it counts the most- Publicity - Government! Even eBay tends to be shady.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to mzwizard

mzwizard wrote:
...When I add shipping I charge the actual amount that the shipping is.  Generally they charge too little and I wind up being billed more by fedex.

There's been quite a few posts where ebay's quote for FedEx isn't correct. If you must use FedEx, I suggest signing up on the FedEx site for an account. I'm pretty sure their online price for printing postage gives the same discount ebay gives. You'll have to enter the tracking number in your auctions automatically, though.

mzwizard wrote:

Why on earth am I being charged a fee on shipping when the amount I collect is going directly to shipping??????

That's been around for several years....none of us like it. Before, lots of sellers were listing things for 99 cents with $20,$50,$100 shipping so they could get out of paying ebay final value fees.

Now everyone's being punished.

mzwizard wrote:
So I guess I should just jack up what I charge for the item and offer free shipping. It's probably the same total "fee" but at least I don't feel like I am getting screwed by paying a fee on shipping!!??!!

You'll also get auto 5-star rating on shipping cost, if that interests you. Some items, offering free shipping is easiest to do. Other things (heavy items), not so much...it can make them too expensive to sell here.

Community Member

in reply to mzwizard
So I guess I should just jack up what I charge for the item and offer free shipping. It's probably the same total "fee" but at least I don't feel like I am getting screwed by paying a fee on shipping!!??!!
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

What the hell is a "final value fee on shipping"?   So the give me a shipping "discount" but then charge me a fee on the shipping?  When I add shipping I charge the actual amount that the shipping is.  Generally they charge too little and I wind up being billed more by fedex.

Why on earth am I being charged a fee on shipping when the amount I collect is going directly to shipping??????

Community Member

in reply to a.best.buy

I would rather sell my items than just throw them away. Thats just me. Even if I earn $1 off the sale, its $1 I didnt have before. Don't give me lip about my selling methods. If you're such a baller then good for you. The point is ebay shouldn't be punishing the force that makes their money. The root problem is Ebay's final fee for shipping. Amazon credits us for selling, and Ebay fines us.