eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping Scam from Ebay?

in reply to liw48

liw48 wrote:

I'm with you, how do we get started?

shoppe-omega wrote:

1. Accept the financial policies and keep over paying or being forced to overcharge. 

2. Stop selling or buying on eBay.

3. Crowdfund a Class Action Lawsuit so that it speaks volumes about how we as sellers and eBay's lifeline feel. (My Vote).

Who's with me??

Mike

You gave up that right when you continued to use the site after the last update to the User Agreement.

They have added a clause which restricts your rights to sue (Caps are not mine, the UA is actually "Yelling" this at us):

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html#17

Prohibition of Class and Representative Actions and Non-Individualized Relief

YOU AND EBAY AGREE THAT EACH OF US MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR PROCEEDING. UNLESS BOTH YOU AND EBAY AGREE OTHERWISE, THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE OR JOIN MORE THAN ONE PERSON'S OR PARTY'S CLAIMS, AND MAY NOT OTHERWISE PRESIDE OVER ANY FORM OF A CONSOLIDATED, REPRESENTATIVE, OR CLASS PROCEEDING. ALSO, THE ARBITRATOR MAY AWARD RELIEF (INCLUDING MONETARY, INJUNCTIVE, AND DECLARATORY RELIEF) ONLY IN FAVOR OF THE INDIVIDUAL PARTY SEEKING RELIEF AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO PROVIDE RELIEF NECESSITATED BY THAT PARTY'S INDIVIDUAL CLAIM(S). ANY RELIEF AWARDED CANNOT AFFECT OTHER USERS.

Patience is the ability to let your light shine after your fuse has blown out.

PostingID

Community Member

in reply to shoppe-omega

I'm with you, how do we get started?

shoppe-omega wrote:

Obviously eBay has lost sight of it's sellers. We need to take ACTION now to stop the overcharging for everything. I understand charging a fair price for a service but they are making it so selling on eBay is too costly. They charge for listing fees, final value fees, final value fees even on shipping (absurd!) but also Paypal is the same company, so we get Paypal fees as well. 

I vote that we start a crowdfunding listing to perform a legal, class action lawsuit and let the courts decide if we have a case. We all have the option to not sell on eBay but let's face it, they have a monopoly on eCommerce such as this. eBay is a great tool and that's why they were successful. But there is not fair competition. So we have 3 choices.

1. Accept the financial policies and keep over paying or being forced to overcharge. 

3. Crowdfund a Class Action Lawsuit so that it speaks volumes about how we as sellers and eBay's lifeline feel. (My Vote).

Who's with me??

Mike

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping????

in reply to thedefaultdealerguy

On the other hand, doesn't EB give some type of discount on shipping?

thedefaultdealerguy wrote:
Well I can understand this to an extent, I mean if someone is selling something worth $200 and they charge $10 + $190 shipping, they just got away with avoiding it. But if its a legit shipping charge thats kinda BS, but theres no way to fix that really. I think in certain categories shipping should not be counted as a fee until a certain point, to prevent the above from happening.

Also free shipping? Thats hard to do, its $5 to ship most ebay items besides cards and coupons.

Community Member

in reply to sellingjacksonville
i agree read my post were just numbers on a system not people here
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to coloradojudd

Cause we as the people did nothing to  prevent this  ebay has a cash cow slush fund for there CEO S  pocket book.

Cause they  charge Final Value Fee on Shipping,  who keeps it they do !!!!  . IF they wanted to be good about it they would not let you exceed the ammounts

but they care nothing of your lives or you , Your a big number to them in a system  . and being you all still use ebay  then the Final Value Fee on Shipping will remain . cause they can get away with it . AMAZON is exceeding over ebay  anyway  . Paypal is owned by EBAY  so you get  double the fees and never even know there all from ebay . i dont try to use ebay much anymore  and plan to  stop  selling all together soon .

Community Member

in reply to talalden

talalden, welcome to the part time sellers forum!

If ebay overcharged you on fees, call them. They do make mistakes. For items sold with "free" shipping, there should be no separate line item charge for shipping on your ebay seller invoice.  I think I will go check mine...

Perhaps they have a software glitch when multiple shipping options are available, as you noted?

Oh and a piece of advice for when you call...tell the rep you will stay on the line while they make the adjustment. Monitor your PayPal page to see the fee reversal. If they say they will do it after the call ends, keep repeating you prefer to stay on the line and see the adjustment. Every time I've been promised it will be taken care of, it has not, and I've had to call back. They can absolutely do these adjustments while you wait.

Community Member

in reply to talalden

I'm wonderinf now if this has to do with the fact that I had offered various shipping options on all my auctions. It really confuses me.

Community Member

in reply to kansas_gal06

I don't sell very often on Ebay. But I just sold A LOT of items and was looking at the invoice. 

ALL my auctions were with free shipping except for overseas. Yet, I got charged anywhere from $0.03 - $0.17 per auction. With the amount I had, this turned out to be $23.11.

Ebay CHARGED ME that for ME paying out of my OWN pocket to ship! My wife uses stamps.com, so I used that system since it has the same discount ebay has, but the labels aren't compatible with the printing from ebay.

I could understand it if they charged me for charging the buyers with shipping, but all except 4 of the auctions were free shipping!

How is THAT even fair?

Community Member

in reply to dwdyem

I don't think I've seen many $1 items with $11 shipping.  Well.... I have seen a lot of 99¢ starting bid auctions for heavier items with $8 and up shipping, which is a recipe for disaster for new sellers. There is still a lot of old ebay advice hanging around, telling new sellers to start items at 99¢.

These new sellers are paying ebay to get rid of stuff. Because the seller gets one bid, for 99¢.

Sure it makes some buyer happy (assuming the new seller actually sends the item - some don't) but I'm sure it runs a lot of new sellers off.

Once they figure out they're paying ebay to get rid of stuff.

I've also seen 99¢ items with more expensive shipping charges on highly sought-after stuff, where the seller is experienced & confident the prices will be bid up well over 99¢.

Community Member

in reply to demarl2
I agree, I am sick of seeing items listed at $1.00 with $11 in shipping
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Think about this for a second.....

If you sell an item for $1.00 and shipping cost is $10 thats $11.00 total

Ebay charges .10 in fees fr the item & $1.00 in fees for the shipping.

That means you will pay $1.10 in fees for an item that sold for $1.00

That means your really paying 110% in ebay fees, its a loop hole designed to swindle sellers

No matter how you look at it they are collecting 10% on what you pay for shipping,

If your shipping cost is anywhere close to the cost of the item your looking at 50% in seller fees or more per item.

So on a month that i sell about $10,000.00 worth of goods thats about $2000 in shipping costs of which 10% is $200 extra that ebay gets from me every month.

Ive been calling and complaining for years, anyone fell free to call me about this 904-863-5927

Community Member

in reply to shoppe-omega

IMO, no judge would let a lawsuit about FVF on shipping go forward. It is very clear in the eBay User Agreement.

But hey, if you've been defrauded by a buyer, join this one that's already in progress:

Judge rules class-action suit against eBay and PayPal may proceed
Plaintiff claims "buyer is always right" policy hurts honest sellers, helps dishonest buyers

Let's just hope you opted out of ebay's arbitration clause, though.

There was another one a few years ago where sellers paying for premium placement weren't getting that placement, and ebay no longer offers that "Featured Plus" option as a result.

Community Member

in reply to kansas_gal06

Obviously eBay has lost sight of it's sellers. We need to take ACTION now to stop the overcharging for everything. I understand charging a fair price for a service but they are making it so selling on eBay is too costly. They charge for listing fees, final value fees, final value fees even on shipping (absurd!) but also Paypal is the same company, so we get Paypal fees as well. 

I vote that we start a crowdfunding listing to perform a legal, class action lawsuit and let the courts decide if we have a case. We all have the option to not sell on eBay but let's face it, they have a monopoly on eCommerce such as this. eBay is a great tool and that's why they were successful. But there is not fair competition. So we have 3 choices.

Who's with me??

Mike

Community Member

in reply to raja_ram_m

Welcome to the part time sellers boards, raja!

raja_ram_m wrote:

....Like if you mentions "Like New" in your title and select used, the system just doesn't allow to post the listing.

or

If you have a cellphone listing where you show personal info in the images you've uploaded, it doesn't allow to finish the listing.

I haven't run into the "like new" and used thing, but you could word it some other way, surely?

Not sure what you mean about the cellphone listing & personal info in the images, unless it has links off ebay.

They don't like that.

raja_ram_m wrote:

Same way, why don't they limit the amount of shipping price based on the product's value?

Instead charge the seller's twice and for the money which we didn't even touch.

It just pass through us to the shipping companies like USPS, UPS or FedEx.

Cost of shipping based on product value doesn't make sense if it's a heavy item, does it?  You could have an old ceramic lamp that sold for $10 but weighs 10 pounds all packed up, and the shipping could definitely cost more than the item.

"pass through us to the shipping companies "

Agree with you there, the buyer pays me shipping and I hand it right over to the carrier. Then ebay takes a charge on top of it.

Looks like you're a newish seller, so it's been this way since you signed up.

Lots of sellers don't notice when they list with free shipping, but if the shipping is separate, that's when they see it on their ebay statment and get upset.

The posts above about a class action suit don't make any sense to me. How is it illegal when ebay publishes that they are doing this?

Don't get me wrong, I was just as upset when they announced it years ago, and I didn't sell on ebay for a while. Then I just raised my prices to deal with it.

Community Member

in reply to restoredford

This guy, i just got off the phone with him, he says "because we can" and the "rules are like that" we are charging the FVF on shipping.

Which is **bleep**ing ridiculuous.

I don't even touch the money, it goes to the shipping.

Community Member

in reply to demarl2

Hmm, why don't they be smart in detecting such frauds?

Like if you mentions "Like New" in your title and select used, the system just doesn't allow to post the listing.

or

If you have a cellphone listing where you show personal info in the images you've uploaded, it doesn't allow to finish the listing.

Same way, why don't they limit the amount of shipping price based on the product's value?

Instead charge the seller's twice and for the money which we didn't even touch.

It just pass through us to the shipping companies like USPS, UPS or FedEx.

Community Member

in reply to penguins_dont_fly

understood. thx for clarifying. 

that's one heck of a policy. apparently all sellers need to charge more for shipping to cover their own costs. lesson learned. 

Community Member

in reply to dsmiller777

@dsmiller777 

It doesn't matter WHERE you get your postage. The FVF is based on PAYMENT ... it is not a shipping "fee"

The FVF is charged on the Total Amount that the buyer pays. ....it is just broken into 2 parts ... the item amount and the shipping amount.

Patience is the ability to let your light shine after your fuse has blown out.

PostingID

Community Member

in reply to alex-billy1

So, how do we let eBay know how we feel? The FVF on Shipping is disgusting. 

All sellers in the US should use USPS.com directly if eBay is going to continue with this practice. 

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd
I just noticed this.... We might all be getting a check from eBay one day as the result of a class action suit.

If ebay does not take part in the shipping (ie printing a shipping level), then what service are they providing that they are charging us for?

They can try to say that the listing itself is the service but we are charged a percentage for that, so it would be "double charging" (a federal offence)... in the end, no reasonable person will buy their BS long winded reasoning for squeezing the sellers (on the down low I might add)...just my 2 cents.