eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping????

in reply to njzzz

I'm with the crowd on this.  Ebay screwed up the shipping calculation so I had to eat the difference.  Then they charge me for a service they don't even provide.

With policies like this, they're saying that they're not interested in the casual sellers like myself.  They only want those who know how to game the system.

Guess it's back to CL.

Community Member

in reply to futuretomorrow

So I charged $6 for shipping an item, it actually cost more than that to ship, and ebay charges 10 percent on what I charged for shipping, absurd?!  I haven't sold in awhile and the fees were a major reason why.  I get there are people who guage on shipping charges but you use to be able to report this.  SMH

Community Member

in reply to futuretomorrow

future, the FVF on shipping was implemented in the spring of 2011 ~ a little late to be complaining about it now, don't you think?

If you see sellers still "price gouging" on shipping, it is because they are unaware of the FVF policy or are trying to attract a buyer with a low selling price, and yes, eBay CS will tell you anything to get you off the phone.  Always come to the boards if you have a question/problem.

In addition to the price gouging, the FVF was started to level the playing field for sellers offering Free Shipping, which eBay loves!  A seller offering an item for $15 with free shipping was paying 50% more in FVF than the seller of a $10 item with $5 shipping ~ and yes, it does increase eBay's profit, but last I heard, eBay was in the business to make money.  Do I wish they didn't have this policy?  Of course, but they do, so you either learn to live with it or take your business elsewhere.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

Community Member

in reply to vintagerose61

"Will they actually refund you the difference between what they charged for this ridiculous fee and what the actual shipping charge was?" Of course not. We're past the timeline when and where all ebay sellers collectively should have taken more action than posing in message boards and blogs about this.

That being said, your suggestion is how I thought this worked when I first saw it implemented. In my mind I was pretty certain I would be more than alright because I don't price gouge on shipping. Low and behold I get my next invoice and of course the shipping fees, as the transactions happened were already long gone and in eBay's pockets with no intention of them returning it. While I've had issues recently I could have used their help on I no longer call eBay CS. To better understand the shipping fees is one of the reasons why. The reasons they gave me had to be one of the most ridiculous explanations regarding something I had ever heard.

In a nutshell eBay created yet another revenue stream born out of a solution to fix a problem most likely knowing that this wasn't a fix at all. As a matter of fact I still till this day see people price gouging on shipping costs to their customers.

Community Member

in reply to njzzz

njzzz wrote:
. . . Vote For Bernie Sanders.

or you can even vote for Colonel Sanders...

kfc photo col_bucket2.gif 

either way, it won't change a thing on eBay.

Community Member

in reply to njzzz

njzzz wrote:

Brainwashing runs deep. This is a fee that Ebay did nothing to deserve - It's millions more in their pockets for doing absolutely nothing. But they do it simply because they can. Because they own the place, because corporations own everything including your government. Vote for Bernie and maybe we can take back some of it.

Brainwashing may run deep... but your ability to read seems to be a shallow puddle.

Before you reach an opinion on exactly how brainwashed I am, go back and read all

of my comments on the subject of Fees on Shipping since 2011... you can start with

Post 141 on this thread and I am sure you can find many more. Yes, it's a fee...

it's been in place for a while... many of us don't like it...  get used to it.

Listing on eBay is an option, following the rules and paying the fees are not.

Community Member

in reply to bronx-dog

Brainwashing runs deep. This is a fee that Ebay did nothing to deserve - It's millions more in their pockets for doing absolutely nothing. But they do it simply because they can. Because they own the place, because corporations own everything including your government. Vote for Bernie and maybe we can take back some of it.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I haven't sold on Ebay in years. And now because Craigs List has become such a snake pit of scammers, losers and liars I decided to give it a whirl again. "Final Value Fee For Shipping ?!?!" What the hell did Ebay do to deserve a take in Shipping ? So now I have to pad my shipping costs in order to make up for a fee that they certainly don't deserve ?! There's just no good way to sell anything anymore. Corporations take because they can . . . Vote For Bernie Sanders.

Community Member

in reply to outletmilano

outletmilano wrote:

On top  of that, Ebay charged me $7,30 shipping fee! W T F????

Which they've been doing for 4 years. You just noticed?

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

My buyer paid $72 for shipping (we used shipping weight calculator provided by Ebay), but it actually cost me $130 to ship, a cost which I had to absorb.

On top  of that, Ebay charged me $7,30 shipping fee! W T F????

Community Member

in reply to evergreen_creek

evergreen, in the past it was only free to list on ebay if items had a starting price of 99 cents or less.

Many sellers listed their expensive items at 99 cents with $20,$30,$40....$100 shipping.

Those sellers only paid ebay final value fees on the 99 cents.

So ebay decided to start charging FVF on the entire transaction amount, as a result.

The rep explained it to you wrong. Sellers weren't overcharging on shipping - they were avoiding ebay fees.

Community Member

in reply to evergreen_creek

The funny thing is about this reasoning by EBAY which I've heard many times before.   That basically their FVF on Shipping only ensures ebay's ability to get their share members who charge excessive shipping amounts.  It really doesn't change the practice too much.  Greed is the sole motive for the FVF on Shipping.  They wanted their cut. 

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I called Ebay about the FVF on shipping and was told that they are charging that because people were overcharging on shipping to make money on shipping. Her explanation didn't make any sense to me and I told the rep that it didn't make any sense because i didn't overcharge on shipping so why am i being charged to charge the correct shipping.  She told me to write to Ebay and voice my complaint.  I did and never heard anything back. 

Maybe if a lot of people complain to Ebay they will realize the error of their greedy ways.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to coloradojudd

Late to the party. I haven't sold in years until this week. W T F the final value fee on shipping? You have got ot be kidding me. FeeBay our relationship is nearing the end. I am already affraid to buy items for fear they are counterfeit. I sell $45 (Not including shipping) in items and am looking at $12.84 in fees (Not including paypal fees)? You have got to be spoofing me. 

Community Member

in reply to wils_e5

Good question wils ~  but I do know that the posts/rants in this almost 4 year old thread definitely are beginning to smell like

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd
What do class action suits smell like?
Community Member

in reply to realradio1

This fee borders on being unethical.  I offered UPS ground shipping on  a product.  The product sold.  I only accept Paypal, a partner of ebay, for payment, so when I click on 'print label', I am taken to UPS through PAYPAL.  Well, for the last 2 weeks, Paypal has been unable to make that direct link for me saying 'sorry, UPS shipping is unavailable right now.'  So, I have to print directly through UPS, which inflates my cost by about $3 (which, I presume is the 'special deal' through ebay).  So, my question is, what did ebay do to EARN this fee??????  This is crazy, and I smell a future class action suit....

Community Member

in reply to greenagain

Wow... you sold something for a grand and you're whining about having to pay the fees

you agreed to when you listed that item on eBay... many here would love to have had a

sale of a thousand bucks and I'm sure, would have happily paid what they owed to get it.

Community Member

in reply to goodie-hunter

It is NOT Ebay getting the same 10% I just sold an Item for $999.00 and it had to go Freight $180.00. Ebay hit me for $99.00 plus $18.00 for shipping. It cost me $180.00 to ship it.  It's bad enough they charge 10% for the sale of MY items PLUS what Paypal charges, then hit me with another $18.00 is robbery. It's no wonder people go outside Ebay to sell stuff.

Community Member

in reply to realradio1

realradio1 wrote:

Easiest way to COVER the Final Value Fee on shipping it to INFLATE the weight of your package...

Im sure they do the FVF cause ppl were selling a item for $2 and putting $100 shipping on it to avoid the FVF...

... so, let's make sure we all understand you correctly.

You believe, the FVF on Shipping came about as a result of some Sellers inflating shipping fees.

You also believe, that the best way to mitigate the FVF on Shipping, is for sellers to INFLATE their shipping fees.