eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping????

in reply to lookbidbuy22

Haven't sold anything for a while, but now I have some more time so I listed and sold several things last month.  Just saw my invoice!

Final value fee for shipping?  What a crock!  I underestimated my shipping on several items and ate the loss - then Ebay piles on by taking another 10%+ out of my shipping cost.

EBAY I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING.  This is a TERRIBLE solution.  Personally, my Ebay selling days are over unless this changes.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

if you purchase your shipping label through eBay, they do give a discount (as least when using USPS). I'm not sure if it's a 1:1 ratio between that discount and the shipping fee, but there is "some" relief.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

EBay has become A NIGHTMARE AGAIN.

IT IS THE WORST RUN COMPANY ON THE PLANET.

zero organization. Horrible site layout, links galore, confusion galore, fees galore..and everyone i know who has had an ebay store, no longer uses ebay at all.. I stopped using them for years..and came back last year...now..I'm ready to leave for good ..this site has gone nowhere but downhill...I sold a $150 item last week and only got $40 out of it..after ebay takes their enormous percentage and hits me with final value SHIPPING FEE??? **bleep** IS THAT??? i could hgave gotten more $ from a pawn shop down the street and saved my time, money, gas and more.

NOTHING BUT DRAMA ON THIS SITE.

Community Member

in reply to squidbillies_r_us

Exactly!

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to seb222nr

Community Member

Re: 26 pages of gripes about the Final Value Fee For Shipping

in reply to zoomiefog
seriously Ebay? **bleep**? I did not type that.
Community Member

Re: 26 pages of gripes about the Final Value Fee For Shipping

in reply to flapdoodle

Wow, I just now realized how bad it is. I only sold one item this month for $200 and this months invoice is $111 **bleep**.

need to try something else. Ebay has become useless.

Patrick

Community Member

26 pages of gripes about the Final Value Fee For Shipping

in reply to waycoolstufff

Does eBay monitor the messages here? I would say not. Do they give any thought to how their users might react to a change in policy? I would say not. Do they give a **bleep** about retaining sellers? I would say not.

I was a very early adopter of eBay. I used to LOVE  it. For the past ten years it's gotten worse and worse and worse. I HATE it now. The Final Value Fee For Shipping is outrageous, and, yet, exactly the sort of **bleep** I've come to expect from them.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Ok here it is, the seller pays 10% of the selling price with shipping cost included, that is it. If you list a lot of items you pay a very small listing fee.

If you are selling used items you have no where else to sell so it's Ebay. At least the stuff I sell. I have looked, really looked. Most times craigslist is a joke. The other auction sites are set up mainly for new items, not used. So Ebay, is it.

Ebay suppliments my income very nicely. I average about 33% true real profit. Which, by my research, is pretty good. Now I do not think paying a final value fee on shipping is fair but I do understand why. It is for the dishonest sellers, who would sell an item for $0.99 and charge $50.00 for shipping. It happened all the time. So they would only pay final value fees on $0.99 and nothing for shipping.

So after all this this is MY solution; If one uses Ebay shipping and pays with Ebay to USPS, FEDEX, UPS or any other, there should be a final value fee credit given on the actual shipping purchased. If you made money on Ebay it is only fair they get their cut. Local auction houses get 15% PLUS 5% to 8% from the buyer, also. So Ebay fees are HALF of that. And like I said before the other online auction sites do not do very well with used items.   Just My 2 cents.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

What am I to do if the item I'm selling weights 5 pounds and it costs $30 to ship to California, or $10 to ship to Georgia???  How am I to offer free shipping in that scenario?? 

Community Member

in reply to sljshopper

what the hell is a scounce? 

Community Member

in reply to scdreamn

I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THEM AND THEY'RE  TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THEY CHARGE A FEE ON SHIPPING, i HAVE ALSO BEEN SELLING ON EBAY SINCE 2001 . tHIS IS HORRIBLE, THE ONLY WAY WE CAN GET OUT OF PAYING THIS FE IS TO OFFER FREE SHIPPING i WAS TOLD.  SO ALL MY AUCTIONS HAVE TO GO UP SO THAT I CAN OFFER FREE SHIPPING, WHAT A RACKET AND SCAM!!

Sorry for the caps. I finished my comment and realized they were on and wasn't going to retype the whole thing ugh

Community Member

in reply to christina12606

OOOPS i accidentally posted here, sorry.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to coloradojudd

After all of things i have on ebay are sold im quitting...i also have had an attorney contact me about a class action...they are in California. First they said they couldnt inlcude Oklahoma but they just called and are doing one here. I cant wait. Ebay made me return money to a customer when they had worn and damaged a top. I have had it.

Community Member

in reply to good_guy44

good_guy44 wrote:

I am just curious. Man Surprised You speak of "selling widgets on eBay"  and "bode well for successful sellers" yet you have a feedback of less than 60 and NO seller feedback!

photo e2df47af-2b8a-4772-9375-a07d96b59ff1_1.jpg 

many of us use them for posting on these forums to avoid the odd keyboard warrior,who

will take things too far and attack a seller's accounts. Many of us have a few accounts,

one for buying, one for selling, one for posting... get the drift.

good_guy44 wrote:

People ask questions in these forums to gain knowledge of how this whole thing works...

Keep asking those questions... you will gain knowledge, once you understand how the whole thing works...

no need for the keyboard warrior theatrics, for most of us will trust the word of an experienced and respected

Posting ID, with some 60 FB, over the argumentative spouting of a new poster with some 1600 FB.

Be nice... it's one of the few things around here for which eBay does not charge a Fee.

Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

I am just curious. Man Surprised You speak of "selling widgets on eBay"  and "bode well for successful sellers" yet you have a feedback of less than 60 and NO seller feedback! Zero. Zilch. Nada.  But, you've posted over TEN THOUSAND posts in forums. So how do you feel qualified to spew caustic, sarcastic, denigrating, belligerent, disrespectful and arrogant replies like the ones in this thread? Perhaps writing posts is therapuetic for some condition that afflicts you or you are an eBay employee. Either way, legitimate sellers probably pity you. People ask questions in these forums to gain knowledge of how this whole thing works, not to be insulted by an armchair know-it-all.

Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

I am just curious. You speak of "selling widgets on eBay"  and "bode well for successful sellers" yet you have a feedback of less than 60 and NO seller feedback! Zero. Zilch. Nada.  But, you've posted over TEN THOUSAND posts in forums. So how do you feel qualified to spew caustic, sarcastic, denigrating, belligerent, disrespectful and arrogant replies like the ones in this thread? Perhaps writing posts is therapuetic for some condition that afflicts you or you are an eBay employee. Either way, legitimate sellers probably pity you. People ask questions in these forums to gain knowledge of how this whole thing works, not to be insulted by an armchair know-it-all.

Community Member

in reply to aceem8

@aceem8 RollingEyesSmiley5.gifIt's not a dumb response because it is one of the reasons that eBay went with fees on shipping....do your homework before you make comments like that, please.

No one likes fees on shipping, but eBay is a business to make money, as is the river, who also charges fees on shipping ~ btw, I include the fee in the price of the widget, as I do with all eBay related fees.....if you can't make a descent profit on you widgets because of fees on shipping then you have the wrong product.....again, posters whining about this fee almost 5 years after it was implemented, imo, make themselves look uninformed.

@squidbillies_r_us

@2015kariverson

@mund1

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

Community Member

in reply to jvalav
Exactly! AND expect to pay extra to sellers that do the same on items we buy!
Just a prime example of the rich getting richer by stepping on the good guys!
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to myvapordrop

Ya and nobody would buy it!