eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping????

in reply to greenagain

Wow... you sold something for a grand and you're whining about having to pay the fees

you agreed to when you listed that item on eBay... many here would love to have had a

sale of a thousand bucks and I'm sure, would have happily paid what they owed to get it.

Community Member

in reply to goodie-hunter

It is NOT Ebay getting the same 10% I just sold an Item for $999.00 and it had to go Freight $180.00. Ebay hit me for $99.00 plus $18.00 for shipping. It cost me $180.00 to ship it.  It's bad enough they charge 10% for the sale of MY items PLUS what Paypal charges, then hit me with another $18.00 is robbery. It's no wonder people go outside Ebay to sell stuff.

Community Member

in reply to realradio1

realradio1 wrote:

Easiest way to COVER the Final Value Fee on shipping it to INFLATE the weight of your package...

Im sure they do the FVF cause ppl were selling a item for $2 and putting $100 shipping on it to avoid the FVF...

... so, let's make sure we all understand you correctly.

You believe, the FVF on Shipping came about as a result of some Sellers inflating shipping fees.

You also believe, that the best way to mitigate the FVF on Shipping, is for sellers to INFLATE their shipping fees. 

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd
If ebays only objective is to not get cheated on people listing items for $0.99 with $300.00 for shipping there is a very simple answer, if you ship from ebays shipping center ebay can see exactly what it cost the seller to ship a specific item. If the shipping price isn't inflated the seller should get the fee on shipping back. I highly doubt this will ever happen but it would be fair
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Easiest way to COVER the Final Value Fee on shipping it to INFLATE the weight of your package... If It weighs 12lbs put it as 15 lbs so the CUSTOMER will PAY MORE for shipping this way the FEW Extra dollars you get can cover this EBAY FEE ! 99.9% of customers wont weigh a package and cross refrence it with a label weight. Do within reason a 1lb can weigh 2 lbs a 9lb can weigh 11 and so on a 23 lb can weigh 26 etc etc.

Im sure they do the FVF cause ppl were selling a item for $2 and putting $100 shipping on it to avoid the FVF...

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd
To the certain people who are talking about high shipping costs, sometimes it is neccessary to choose a specific service for the benefits. As a seller, I prefer using USPS Priority Mail for shipping any item I sell because its a Flate Rate anywhere in the US. The packaging can be ordered online at no cost, there is insurance coverage on whatever you ship, and the package is delivered between 1 and 3 days. Customers email me and tell me how happy they are at how speedy the deliveries are and that spending $6.10 is worth it.
Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

My new question is this:  Does eBay make businesses like Sothebys pay them for final value fees on shipping?  Also, Do these "big" businesses have the same standards apply when SNAD returns are filed?  Or do they get to use their own return policies? 

Community Member

in reply to suncoin-fl

Yeah I have to wonder if some 'Deal' wasn't orchestrated by ebay with the Shippers that favors these Mega Sellers from overseas, while the little guy has to pay exorbitant shipping costs from our UNITED STATES Postal Service, and other shippers too?  

Community Member

in reply to witsende
-And you can't compete with China selling a $20 - $20 item for $3.00 "WITH FREE shipping"
The independant US based seller, (once eBays core) is getting the proverbial shaft
Community Member

in reply to theguitarpartsguy

"Ebay isn't the same place it used to be to sell"

Blame the Asian market! I'll bet my next 10% shipping fee that they dominate the seller market (especially in electronics) by 15% - 30% of eBay. Just check their feedBack counts. They range in the 100K's to millions.
I'm sure many other categories from shoelaces to heavy machinery is just as overloaded with Asian based sellers.
No, Ebay isn't the same anymore - your community garage sale on Craigslist will probably do better. But eBay has the worldwide coverage - really no competition out there!

Community Member

in reply to demarl2

In my case, Parcel Select $16.63. Everything else was more expensive.

Community Member

in reply to goodie-hunter

goodie-hunter wrote:

Ebay isn't the same place it used to be to sell.  It's been redesigned for the big International sellers.

I'm seeing less and less numbers of people viewing my items in recent years.  Many items seeing less than 10 views during a week.  Ebay isn't the same value it once was that's for sure.  

First part of your statement:  absolutely true.   It hasn't been for a while.

Second part of your statement:  do a search here on how to place higher in search results.  Your views will come back if you adjust your listings appropriately.  Mine have.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

The Final Value Fee for Shipping isn't ebay combating people who charge a higher amount for shipping, its ebay making sure they get their cut of the action, being its still basically the same 10% fee amount!  Its not actually a deterrent of any kind since the fee amount from the seller is the same no matter where it comes from.  

IN FACT, I'm guessing its actually becomes an incentive for smart sellers because any fees on shipping can then be written off easier as a business expense since its not on their own service.  

FVF for shipping is a fee that sellers never even see the gain from.  Its not on money that ever goes to a seller.  Again, its simply ebay getting their cut of the action.  

Ebay isn't the same place it used to be to sell.  It's been redesigned for the big International sellers.  I'm seeing less and less numbers of people viewing my items in recent years.  Many items seeing less than 10 views during a week.  Ebay isn't the same value it once was that's for sure.  

Community Member

in reply to bronx-dog

Really, someone pays $5  for an item and pays $16 for shipping? I'd love to know what the shipping really cost and why it wasn't shipped using a cheaper service.

Community Member

in reply to nathaweste

nathaweste wrote:
They charged me 11 bucks...

Rainbow violins photo oLfcGn7_zpsf5f5beaa.gif... somewhere, over the rainbow...

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd
This is so ridiculous. They charged me 11 bucks. I will absolutely never sell something on eBay again. And I can't get my money for 3 weeks? Never again.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I lost money too, they charged me $1.60 Final Value Fee on Shipping for a $5.00 item I sold.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I had to pay $1.60 Final Value Fee on Shipping for $5.00 item I sold. They should fire the executive who green lite this plan.

Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I just sold a cooktop which cost me nearly $200 to send across the country, and I had to pay a fee on the $200 that I had to pay the carrier.  That is ridiculous!  If I had sold the item for only 10 bucks, I would have paid $21 to Ebay and lost money on the transaction!  As another member said, 99% of us who charge reasonable shipping fees should not be penalized by the 1% who try to bilk the system.  This is clearly a situation where Ebay increased revenues enormously by claiming that they were being cheated by all of their own members.  That's a really positive outlook on your users, Ebay!  In the future, I will definitely look for other selling options before unloading items that cost a lot to ship on Ebay. 

Community Member

in reply to bronx-dog

laughing emo.gif

...and in the long standing tradition of the Part Time eBay Sellers Forum, we will be there to help!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif