cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

Picking up on a thread that was recently closed down pertaining to Slow eBay Sales.  I have been selling on eBay for years and have noticed a dramatic decrease in sales.  I sell mainly winter gear and normally have several sales in Sept at least that is how it has been since 2009.  This year nothing...  I am in the process now of clearing out my remaining inventory here on eBay.  Hopefully they can turn it around as many small sellers are also buyers.  I buy on eBay when I sell on eBay.  When I don't sell on eBay on don't buy on eBay.  Am sure this is the same for many small to mid size sellers.  

What are the rest of you seeing on your end as small to mid size sellers?

Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

In the almost 5000 posts in that thread...you didn't see any similar instances/ observations/discussions to answer this?

Message 2 of 125
latest reply

The thread was closed so figured I would pick up where it was left off....

Here is an interesting article found April of this year

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3962921-ebays-turnaround

eBay's Turnaround
Apr. 4.16 | About: eBay Inc. (EBAY)
Elazar Advisors, LLC Elazar Advisors, LLCPremium Research »Follow(5,168 followers)
Medium-term horizon, short-term horizon, long/short equity, macro
Send Message|www.elazarllc.com

Summary

* Changing perspective to finally focus on SEO can meaningfully turn eBay.

* Management focused on raising returns.

* Earnings upside potential near term if top line re-accelerates.

eBay (NASDAQ:EBAY) is about to initiate a major turnaround with a simple reclassification of its purpose. Turnarounds are usually associated with complicated adjustments. Here we think it is as simple as a shift in viewpoint.

Historically eBay focused on listings and now by adjusting its perspective to fit listings into key product categories they are about to finally align with Google and the rest of the internet and correct its main reason for its decline.

eBay identified the SEO issue as the main reason for the company's weakness and its fix should re-accelerate its active users (the company's key metric measuring the number of people who actually did something recently). The change is basic but can, potentially immediately, re-accelerate revenue growth. If topline re-accelerates, earnings will re-accelerate thanks to 20-30% margins that should move back up with faster topline.

We think this is the type of turnaround situation that we look back on and say 'that was easy enough.'

eBay does not have any serious operational issues. The need to show up in Google searches is forcing eBay to make the change. The shift has been stubbornly slow trying to be overly sensitive not to dislocate their core user listings. However, their sellers have been hurt, as we know, by reduced appearances on search engines.

eBay, and its size should be an advantage for their sellers but instead their listing culture held them back from moving with Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) (NASDAQ:GOOGL) and the industry.

Message 3 of 125
latest reply

You seriously felt the need to resurrect this... Really.

If it is truly that important to you, why not post it on the

Selling Board where it belongs, as opposed to this group?

Message 4 of 125
latest reply

My sales are down 40% and my inventory is up 38% from last year (2015). I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out why. Is it just that the eBay clothing market is saturated with sellers? It makes no sense and for obvious reasons, eBay doesn't care and they don't have a clue. Is thete anyone else out there with a similar story?
Message 5 of 125
latest reply

@boulderboutique wrote:
Is thete anyone else out there with a similar story?

... as I said above, there was no reason to resurrect this thread.

Below is a link to the original, with the better part of 5000 posts,

which cover everything from heartfelt honest opinions, to eBay

Hater rants, political views and even a few conspiracy theories

Happy reading...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/A-Part-time-eBay-Sellers-Group/Ebay-sales-Dropped-Why-so-Slow/td-p/1511...

Message 6 of 125
latest reply

@snowbirdmn74 wrote:

* Changing perspective to finally focus on SEO can meaningfully turn eBay.

I actually found that interesting. Ebay used to have a really great program called EPN (Ebay Partner Network) which had independent contractors design websites for the sole purpose of directing sales to ebay. These contractors would earn money for every person they brought to ebay. If the buyer was new to ebay, they would earn a higher percentage. And if the bidder actually won their item, an even higher percentage was earned. Each bidder that went through one of these sites entered ebay with that contractors cookie so ebay knew who to pay.

Some of these contractors made a really great living off of ebay this way....until ebay started changing things around.  First they decided that they would only pay if the bidder actually won the auction(which kind of makes sense). But then they decided to only give them twenty four hours to bid. Once the twenty four hours was up, the cookie timed out and the contractor was out of luck and no longer got a percentage of the sale. So lets say an auction is running for five days. Someone is looking for a special "lure" or "fishing pole" (as an example) to buy. They google what they are looking for, find a couple of these sites advertising exactly what they are looking for and click on one of the ebay ads. It takes them directly to ebay and as soon as they enter, their cookie is activated. Yay for the independent contractor!

Problem is, most people  don't buy or bid on something right away. If the auction is going for several days, they'll often put it in their watch list and wait until the end of the auction to bid. Which is exactly what ebay counted on.....as most of these people doing EPN  started fiinding it harder and harder to make a living and, in some cases, their earnings dropped to only a quarter (or less) of what they had previously been earning. They put in a ton of work but weren't getting paid.

To top it off, Google was/is constantly changing their SEO requirements. So many adds on your site, so many words, so many key search words, etc. etc. And they constantly change the formula, but refuse to reveal what that formula is. So one day a contractor might have had his site at the top of Google and the next it might be on page three. And anything not on page one is practically worthless. And the work involved trying to figure out the new formula and restoring all of your websites to the top of the search engine can be enormous.

So, in short....once Ebay (and Google) started changing this system (that seemed to previously be working really well), many of these contractors quit, shut down their sites and wallked away. These changes started about two years ago.....

there is still an active program, but just a mere shadow of what it was.

So I just found it interesting that Ebay is now working with Google on this and wondering if they're giving any thought to restoring a program that seemed to work really well for both ebay, sellers and the independent website developers. 

And that's all I know about any of this, so I won't be back. :smileywink:

But it does seem to me that this is when the sales started to decline. 

So.

If Ebay can somehow fix this, maybe there's a chance the sales will increase again....

and the whining will decrease. :smileytongue:

:smileywink:

Message 7 of 125
latest reply

Don't be silly. The whining will never decrease. Never has. Never will.

Up down sales.

For every seller experiencing slower sales (seems to be a lot of those that want to do the same thing year after year, but whatever) there are those that are too busy to post on the boards because sales are good.

No guarantees. Not an eBay problem. Really. Adjust. Work more at it. 

Or not.

If I was still trying to sell the same things I was selling ten years ago I would be dead in the water. Postage costs. New generation buying. And on and on.

Radine

Message 8 of 125
latest reply

Message 9 of 125
latest reply

Image result for better left dead

Message 10 of 125
latest reply

Dog, where did you get that graphic from the 1980's? Just kidding. I found it funny that this thread got duplicated, that's all. It gave me a good laugh.

Message 11 of 125
latest reply

marc, I was going with the "everything old, is new again" mood.wink.gif

Message 12 of 125
latest reply

Very slow sales as well. Been selling on eBay for 10 years and have never seen it this slow especially this time of year.

Very concerning.

Message 13 of 125
latest reply

I have experienced a sales drop since August and it still goes on. It's dramatically slower than usual, I don't know what it is. I must say I'm very worried.

Message 14 of 125
latest reply

Same for me I have called eBay several times in the last few months. Nothing to say to me except we cannot tell people what to buy! eBay appears to be in big trouble, I belive they have instructed thier CSR to not tell the real truth, a gag order if you will.

Message 15 of 125
latest reply