eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to your_time_saver

My ebay sales had gone to zero so I closed my shop after Christmas. Been on here for aroud 8 years but I've had enoug of being pushed around

Bye ebay

Community Member

in reply to smmbmm

Oh Please spare me.....I do everything I am supposed to do..give no questions asked refunds, ship within 24 hours, have sales and low prices, free shipping on most items and still.....NO SALES...I have 1,2oo items listed and have not had a sale all weekend. It has never been this bad. For us sellers that make a living doing this the impact is devastating.

smmbmm wrote:

RELAX!!!! :smileyhappy:  It's not THAT bad.  Goodness, some make it sound like it's the end of the world with eBay.  Look, some sellers do good, some don't.  It's about consumer interest, PRODUCT, economy (US & Global), time of the year, time of the month, seller skill (some listings look horrible and yet sellers expect sales to be great), and the list can go on and on.  I've been selling on eBay for 10 years and the last 2 years have been my best.  The last few months have tapered off but I expect that since I sell internationally and the US economy is good but global is bad.  I also expect it because I happen to sell some winter items and guess what, here in the states it's no longer winter.

I do agree with many that eBay policies have changed the climate on eBay compared with years ago.  In my opinion, even if you are small, a good seller is rewarded and an average or poor seller will fail and they will drag their heels and complain the whole time. 

Sometimes it's about ATTITUDE and humility.  Take a look at your businss and business model and determine how you can improve.  Put together an action plan and work with the system that is provided.  And if that's not something you want to do, go try and rent a space in a local shopping mall and see how that compares. 

Great news for those that are willing to hear it:  eBay CAN be successful!  It is what you make it and oftentimes you get out what you put it. 

Community Member

in reply to chris1998172

I am relatively new to EBAY. It seems that Jan and Feb were fairly good months ( at least for me). The question is: why did sales drop so suddenly from March/April?

Community Member

in reply to kawasakiguy89

To say sales are slow is an understatement. It is just devastating. If it doesn't pick up in May, I will design my own website for free. I have never seen it this bad, even in 2009 and 2010 things were much better. To be honest, I believe the American economy is imploding. Virtually no one has money anymore. 

Community Member

in reply to acperformance

Yes, I have seen the notification from eBay regarding the traffic report, and I do believe that you are probably correct in the assumption that traffic is down because of Cassini.

The notice does mention, however, that it will be replaced with a new report later this year, so will have to wait and see.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Has anyone received a message from eBay saying that they are going to stop Traffic Reports for stores starting June 30th?  Is this a way for them to cover up the cassini search engine cycling?  There is a definate pattern showing traffic of people visiting your store throughout the month.

Community Member

in reply to izadoraexhibition

We sell on shopify www.brideboutique.co.uk

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Is anyone selling on Shopify?

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

I talked to a Ebay customer support person last night trying to figure out how to pur Paypal Bill Me later on items.  They had no idea how to do this - but went to Paypal for support.  While we were talking she acknowledged that things have slowed and that sometime the system doesn't pick up all the items on keyword type searches.  I checked out some of my listings - from my store and it didn't even pick up all my oils.  One time it would pick up 13 items and another time it picked up 14 with the same keywords.  I have no real idea why it left one of the items off.  All 4 of the keywords I entered were in all the lists.  I generally capitalize my listing header and it picked up all the items that way but didn't pick up one that was done in mostly lower case.  Not sure why that would happen that way.  I also did some research on what was selling and I noticed that quite a few of the items priced over $100 that had sold had a Bill me Later price under the price on the listing.    So it would say something like $974 or 126.00 for 6 months.  This is Paypal financing.  I'm not a fan of these type easy pay plans because I believe people get trapped with lots of short term debt this way unless they are really careful but right now if that's what it takes I'll go for it.  I also have a feeling that these listings would be a priority for Paypal and Ebay because they make more money when they finance something.   I complained to Ebay customer service (for what it was worth):

1.  Not fair for them to take our listing money and not fully list our items

2.  I keep reducing my prices - to the point of absurdity - which doesn't seem to help

3.  If they aren't putting all my items in certain searches I'm discounting my prices for virtually nothing - so how do I know if I really need to price as low as I am. 

As I stated a few days ago.  The economy is really bad right now.  Our GDP is .2 and China's is 7%.  Big difference.  We have had a substantial slow down.  The govt blames it on a cold winter but when you get down to it - every winter is cold.  Why isn't is stopping the Chinese?  Another problem is the currency conversion between the US and other currencies.  Our goods are really expensive outside the US now - last year at this time they were much less.  Since the Euro has deflated quite a bit their economy is picking up.  This especially hits small businesses - like the average Ebay business.   In 2010 I sold lots of handbags so did searches for many different vintage bags including Chanel bags which almost all sold for over $1000 up to $60,000.    Right now if you look at sold items under Chanel Handbag you will see the prices on Ebay have gone way down to fire sale prices.  So many of these are selling now at low prices and using Bill me Later financing.  Hope this helps someone.

Will let you know if it works once I get things transferred over. 

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
**bleep** is going on? Sales are absolutely terrible this year. Dump cassinni, lighten up on the defect rate policy affecting our tsr, take the defects completely out of the hassle free returns we're offering, skip the fall update because frankly there is nothing left to squeeze out of us, and revamp your entire customer service approach to be a lot more friendly to the sellers. The past few years i haven't considered bailing to another site for selling, but i tell you what - it's getting pretty darn grim here at ebay.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Very bad sales on April from 5 sales a day bacome as almost none, from few ebay accounts.

I think that the stupid Ebay website is crushing. we are not sure where other buyer buying the product . can someone share where we can sale our products with out paying high fees (Ebay become to your partner) 

Spoiler

Community Member

in reply to onmywatch

I've been selling on Ebay for 11 years.  This is the worst year ever going to almost no sales, even with exclusive products.  I rarely, if ever, see any of my products in the search results even though I have the appropriate keywords and have worked hard on my titles.  I understand that competition has increased, but it's pretty obvious that Ebay is not promoting our products like they used to.  My major competitor even left Ebay and we used to both get great sales.  Since my competilor left, she is selling more from her own website and I am selling virtually nothing on Ebay.  It should have been just the opposite.  I am not a casual seller.  This is my livelihood.  I do sell on Amazon and do have my own website, but my Ebay sales dropping is terrible. 

Community Member

in reply to coastal12345

My sales are miserably slow, as well. I deal mostly in original signed art glass. I looked at one of your listings and noticed a cardinal since for copy writing: NEVER USE ALL CAPS! When you use all capital letters it has been shown to be very hard for readers to visually process. It tires them out quickly and drives them to a site that writes in sentence form, like I am now. I would change that ASAP. I would invite anyone to check out my listings and please offer any suggestions as to how I might improve my presentation to increase sales.

I do have a theory about these trending slow Aprils. I think that the folks with the disposable income that we need as customers are typically liable for tax payments at this time of year. It sucks a large amount of cash out of our economy and results in consumer cut-backs. I'm sure it's not the only cause, but it must be contibutory. Let me know what you think.  -Richard

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

The US grew by 0.2 % in the first quarter of this year.  This is a terrible statistic.  Also our exports have slowed considerably because of the strength of the dollar.  To compare - China grew by 7% during this time which they consider a slowdown.   The strength of the dollar has also hurt us considerably in European markets.  Lots of people are also losing jobs again.  The US consumer has also changed considerably.  Many department stores have already put 50% sale racks up on Spring 2015 merchandise - never a good sign.  Even the highend retailers like Saks have done this.  I would have to practically give some of my merchandise away to sell in many parts of the world right now and Americans are getting by with less.  Americans have gotten adjusted to cheap imported clothing at lowend retail and many just buy their clothes at discount stores like Costco.  I would have to be pretty desperate to consider going outside my home in Costco sweats.  We need to all "up our game" considerably.  If we aren't buying quality merchandise noone else will.  We have gotten insanely lazy and and so has our government.  They keep blaming the problem on weather - but the weather is bad every winter.  To top is off - it is only bad in a few spots since most of the country is still warming.  We need a huge infrastructure project for the country to rebuild everything from our roads to our power grid.  Instead of fracking which is causing some States daily seismic activity we should be doubling down on solar and wind energy.  The one thing the US has in the dead of winter is wind  and our entire southwest is in a monumental drought which means the area has lots of sunlight - so good for solar.  The Great Lakes states have abundant water and this could also go by pipeline to areas of drought since water is a resource like oil or gas.  We aren't thinking creatively on this and we are all paying the price.

Community Member

in reply to watchbatteryukltd

Dear AJ

I agree there is defo something not right here, this is my second months as a seller store and the first months sales were 5 8 transaction per day in last half of March and first in April since then I’m going days without 1 transaction, I have been revising and lowering prices etc. etc. and still nothing, I thought id test and ask someone to purchase and when they tried eBay it would not take the transaction and prompted user to create re register their account and only then would the transaction go through but then user account went back to normal as they never added new pass word and the transaction came through with new registered account and now user cannot leave feedback, plus I have purchased two separate items from another seller and both purchases came through as that I won the item when the items where buy now, strange things happening in the last half of April. Something’s not right.

Regards

James

watchbatteryukltd wrote:

Look, for those of you experiencing sales, the like of which fall from £12k to $69 in one month, do you really think that it's down to the economy?

I know it's a technical issue.,

Ebay has no other way of taking electronic payment other than PayPal. There have been technical issues with PayPal payments as I have previously posted and I stand by that. All you merchants who have solely Buy It Now listings and who have seen a sudden dip in sales, I can guarantee this is caused by a technical  issue which prevents those people wishing to pay for their purchase (intended purchase) from completing the transaction. How do I know this?

I am in the fortunate position of having a well established web site in addition to selling 207 BIN items on Ebay. On the days which Ebay sales plummet then so do our PayPal transactions on our own website. Fortunately our own website can take alternative payments and so the customer can still purchase what they require. On Ebay that's not an option so the sale is aborted. We use the same PayPal email account for both our own website and the Ebay sales. We are looking to change this to see if it's an account problem.

I will keep you posted, but please no more speculation on the economic downturn causing a 75% drop in sales.

AJ

Led.London LED LIght Bulbs with more than just light

Community Member

in reply to watchbatteryukltd
This. Exactly this.

I have tried several outside websites to purchase personal items for my home this month. Specifically, custom seat covers for my car and plants. I could not use a company I wanted to go through initially because they ONLY accepted paypal. I was not allowed to complete my transaction. The second company, this also happened, but I was also unable to pay with Paypal but was then able to pay with an alternative payment source.

Ebay and Paypal are technically two separate companies. They initially were separate, and then they were "affiliated". Now that there is a disjoining, why would Ebay necessarily be at fault? Paypal's job is to accept funds. They certainly get their fees for doing this to sellers, now don't they?

Paypal worked "fine" before; why is there "suddenly" a problem?

I am new to this, and I am just curious from someone more experienced than I. I am just a consumer, and also a new seller that finds this topic very interesting.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

I read Your story and this is pretty much why I do not do any international sales period. Just enough of them are out to scam You and the small seller can not really afford to much of that!

Community Member

in reply to jenningskeyboards

Ebay and Amazon had bad first quarters.  I, personally, believe that the economy has taken another March/April hit like it has for the past few years.  When I look back at sales over the past 4 years - things would start to look promising in January and February and then they would plummet until August or September.  I sell lots of organic oils in Europe but the conversion rate is terrible right now so my European customers can't afford the oil at my already low prices.  I can't afford to lower prices because they are as low as they can go - for me to offer a great quality oil.  I assume many of my competitors are selling cheaper refined oils.  I do some oil purchases from those selling bulk oils (to see what they are actually selling at such low prices ) and the quality of the oil is poor - most don't even resemble the real oils - but not much I can do about this.  I also sell antique French porcelain - which did well for a few months in 2014 - but has now dropped .  I refuse to give my merchandise away - so will hold my pricing on more expensive/collectible items - until there is some recovery.  MY sales were good from about September until a few days before Christmas and then they froze.   

I also stopped taking returns about a year ago - and my sales actually INCREASED for several months after I made this change.  My Ebay discounts weren't really lower after I made this change.  The benefit from Ebay and Paypal for taking the returns was negligible.   I know it's counterintuitive but I suddenly had a better group of buyers with no returns.  The last few months that I took returns people would use items and then return for no reason.  I had someone return a bottle of oil 3/4 empty.  I refused the return but Ebay settled with the buyer who said they just didn't like the oil.   This really made me angry.  To top it off - the buyer purchased more oil from me a month later.  I blocked them after that.  I also had a purchaser in China attempt to get money off their purchase on an expensive handbag.  Ebay sided with the Chinese buyer - who never returned the items because they loved it - just wanted to hold me up for some money back.  So I had hundreds of dollars held by Ebay for over a month for nothing.  After a few of these I decided - I would accept no more returns because Ebay wasn't dealing with them in good faith for sellers.   Ebay advised me that they would have probably sided with me on these if I hadn't had a return policy - which wasn't unconditional but Ebay doesn't really recognize unconditional returns.  So now - I only do returns if something is really damaged. 

Since the first of the year I've also noticed that mail has slowed out of California especially.  Items I purchase from one seller in California can take from 7 to 28 days.  One shipment took almost a month.  The seller mailed it quickly per tracking but once it left Cupertino nothing showed on tracking until it hit my mailbox  after 28 days. 

Community Member

in reply to thatsmyshirt

The Facebook and The Find situation certainly makes sense for our store.  We sell on EBay, Amazon, and have our own site.  Amazon sales for us have been up but our site and EBay have been way down, about 30%.  That's just when the business started to slide.  

Community Member

in reply to coastal12345

Your explanation of cassini might be one of the better reasons for declining\fluctuating sales. We have talked about this 'throttling' before. The frustrating part is why? If ebay can't handle their current load of sellers they need to fix it. Alibaba manages to handle theirs. The economy is probably another reason. The gov't. would like us to think it's very healthy with auto sales,home sales and certain retail sales on the rise. Places like ebay tend to feel certain downward  trends first especially when it comes to non essentials.