eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to pugmation

I get emails from buyers in Russia and China frequently. Two selling accounts with only 40-60 items listed at a time. I sell high end collectibles and jewelry and it is often the foreign buyers who are interested. I would let the items go but they always try to do some kind of shady dealing and that is a big turn off. When I used to ship international, I got asked "can you change the sale amount on customs form?" or delare it is a gift....ummm Hell NO.

Also a lot of them use these re-shipping services (freight forwarding companies who bulk ship many items at a time to Russia and China).

If i were to agree to ship to some US warehouse that is a 3rd party shipping company, it kills my Paypal seller protection. I'm sure someone will read this and respond: 'O no, the seller is only responsible for the item until it gets to the Paypal address of the buyer'. And those replies will be 100% incorrect. Paypal TOU stipulate explicitly that if (in the event of a 3rd party shipper) the item is redirected to a different address then you will not be eligible for seller protection. It's under

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US#11

section 11.5

Now EBAY is different policy. Ebay will not allow a case to be opened by a buyer outside of US who has used a freight forwarder. But Paypal cannot defend against a CC chargeback if the buyer in Russia or China used there own shipping service then is dissatisfied due to damage in transit, loss whatever.

SO long story short, I would love to make money and to sell to foreign buyers... but can't buy insurance to some areas (Russia) and don't want to play roulette with their freight forwarding companies.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
They are calling it Target Run Day and I think it's some PR Firms idea to compete with Amazon Prime Day.

I looked back through other Target statewide promos and found where they ran one for the holiday season in 2013 that was 20% off statewide, so ots not unprecedented.

In fact, I don't think stores having a percentage off sale statewide for a limited time is so unusual is it?

It seems like everybody has a percentage off promo to get people through the doors. I'm thinking particularly of Penneys, Macys, etc with the 4th of July sales, door buster holiday sales, etc.
·•❖✿✿❖•· And if you go no one may follow ✿
That path is for your steps alone ·•❖✿✿❖•·
Community Member

in reply to chadl285

chadl285 wrote:

I saw somewhere that Target is running a 10% off storewide sale. They have never done anything like that before. I think it is at all the Target stores nationwide. Cant remember all the details. Unprecendented.

Chad, I think Target is still licking it's wounds form it's data breach,

which cost the company millions, but more importantly customer trust.

There was also, the disastrous and costly attempt to move into the

Canadian market, which failed miserably...

http://fortune.com/2015/01/15/target-canada-fail/

Community Member

in reply to superdave*

Honestly after looking at your page there is really nothing i would buy unless i had a vintage unit for sale in the box and i needed the manual to seal the deal but  not going to really want to pay over $10.00 for any type of manual. However i think what your doing is super cool for the simple fact is there are times when i need an original manual to something and just never can find it. I know other sellers are looking for the same things perhaps if you lower your prices a little maybe you could get some sales. I just have a feeling your manuals and brochers are the same price as a dealer gets the actuall item for. If you cater to the dealers then i think thats whare your sweet spot is and you should see some money roll in.

Just my opinion

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to superdave*

Superdave, I see you have a lot of vintage manuals and what not. You do have watches on a lot of items. IMO you are selling most of your items to elder people. Right now elder people are seeing their savings accounts dwindle and are not going to buy something they don't need unless they can get a great deal on it.

Back to school time. Election time, economy, ect..

Community Member

in reply to superdave*

I also wanted to mention that all this is going on with me "doubling" the amount of items listed...

Between my 2 stores I have over FOUR THOUSAND items listed...

Sunday(today)is usually my best day...

The day is more than half way over and not a "single" question, offer or sale...

Words cannot describe...

Community Member

in reply to marcfl29

Another Awful, Horrible, Terrible Weekend shaping up....

Things should be picking this time of year, but just the opposite...

My best times have historically been weekends...I have been generally selling between $300-$500 on weekends for years, so far I've sold less than $40 and that's COUNTING Friday!

Last weekend wasn't much better and the one before, etc...

All this "no sales" started very quickly earlier this year, so someone knows something and something/someone is repsonsible and this has to be deliberate...

Granted the economy is bad, but it didn't suddenly tank earlier this year and since this is happening to sellers across the board it is all connected...

One thing is for certain, eBay is ceratinly aware of all this and I wonder why "nothing" is being said to us about it? Like "please hang in there sellers" and give SOME reason why this is going on and some hope of it getting better...

All we get is total silence...

It is the main reason why they raised Anchor Store fees through the roof to make up for lack of sales and they must have some idea of what is doing this...

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

The problem with getting a job for older people like me is businesses can only afford to pay $8.00 - $10.00 an hour, and that will not pay the bills. When I left the work force I was making over $15.00 an hour. I could probably get a job doing hard labor for $12.00 an hour but my body won't let me do that any more.

I think this is part of the reason they are letting people just walk into this country. They need cheap labor. The American dream is dying. We are becoming a slave country for the rest of the world.

All you got to do is take the blinders off to see what's happening. Store closings, layoffs, jobs being sent over seas, ect. There are 135 recorded houses for sale in my small town and no one to buy them. I couldn't even imagine what an average family is going through right now to support their children.

Just look at Venezuela, it is facing the worst economic and humanitarian crisis in its history right now. Venezuela has been hit by the 24 months collapse in oil prices. Venezuelans are living day-by-day facing a very complicated situation with rising crime and corruption rates, daily electricity blackout, medicines and food shortage (more than 80 percent). Venezuelans can’t get even the most basic lifesaving medical supplies as antibiotics.

Is this our future here in the US?

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
"truck driving is a grueling job that young people don’t really want to do."

This is the line from the article you want to concentrate on. If you haven't paid attention, the millennials only want to do certain types of jobs.

Instead of thinking a days pay for a days work, they would rather move back home (or never left to begin with) with Mom and Dad.

It's not because, as some in the media would want you to believe, there aren't jobs. It's that there aren't the types of jobs they want to do.

If it doesn't involve rump sitting a playing on a computer, they don't want it. Honestly. It's not only fields like truck driving that are predicted for mass short falls.
·•❖✿✿❖•· And if you go no one may follow ✿
That path is for your steps alone ·•❖✿✿❖•·
Community Member

in reply to marcfl29

I saw somewhere that Target is running a 10% off storewide sale. They have never done anything like that before. I think it is at all the Target stores nationwide. Cant remember all the details. Unprecendented.

Community Member

in reply to lostnfound101

Lost, every day people are losing jobs to technology. A new DHS computer program is going to be replacing state employees in my state. The new program which will also include SNAP (EBT cards). They are saying there will be glitches when it rolls out next month.

70 lose jobs in reorganization at R.I. Department of Human Services:

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20160825/70-lose-jobs-in-reorganization-at-ri-department-of-hu...

Sears, Target, Dollar Store and Dollar General are all in trouble right now. Targets blaming Walmarts prices for their down turn, but the comment section on Yahoo says other wise.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

... what really amazes me tho, is the spin from that link I posted about the driver-less rigs ... here's what I mean, within a paragraph from the article -

... "truck driving is a grueling job that young people don’t really want to do. The average age of a commercial driver is 55 (and rising every year), with projected driver shortages that will create yet more incentive to adopt driverless technology in the years to come."

... soooo, rather than consider an upcoming Driver shortage as being Opportunity, we should "embrace" the fact that tech is gonna make it "easier" for the youngin's that don' wanna consider manual labor for a living ...

... considering the way that we here paint the pictures in pastels furthest from reality, we gotta look like total fools in the eyes of the chinese.

Community Member

... here's one Gig to Not consider any longer tho, the writing's on da wall -

https://techcrunch.com/2016/04/25/the-driverless-truck-is-coming-and-its-going-to-automate-millions-...

... there's more than 3.5 million Jobs at stake with that one alone ...starting pay for an Over The Road Driver averages $56,000.00 per year ...

... so let's consider why we're goin' down this "Road" ...

... let's say I wanna start a Trucking Co, after all everything we eat buy and build is courtesy of Truck ... so I buy 12) Rigs for Over The Raod, let's say I haul Produce or Steel ... naturally I want to Incorporate for Liability purposes, so I'm now subject to 36% Corp tax rate on the Biz income alone ...then I pay State and Local as well ...  I'm the lone CEO of my own Biz and rather than making umpteen millions as reported nightly on the news I make around $73k to $100k annually ..

... the number of alleged fat-cat CEO's is far outnumbered by reality as shown below ...

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Chief_Executive_Officer_%28CEO%29/Salary

... each of my Drivers makes an average of $56,000.00 annually and I as the Biz owner have to match all fica withholdings on the wage ... I also now need to provide health insurance or I get whacked with a fine ... add the cost of plates and Ins on each Rig let alone the cost of a new Truck, then I do Ins on my Biz along with every other tax and fee/fine imaginabele ... then there's Road tax cuz I didn't build my Biz someone else made it happen ...

... I hire 2) Mechanics per each 6) Rigs ... in the event that I can replace each Driver with a driver-less Rig all I really need to do is hire another Mechanic and trade in 12) Rigs for Driver-less rigs ... and with the savings I then have a chance of actually making some money rather than paying for alleged inequality ...

... I don't understand why so many believe the garb that our multi-million dollar elected elites and media anchors tell us ... cuz all we're doin' by following their lead is making a larger circular firing squad among the Working ... while all along the elites set 1,000 meters off to the side with field glasses watchin' the battle.

Community Member

... I don't mean to go against the flow but I myself am not too willing to point a finger at EBay ... I know that a lot of us are rollin' the eyes with that, but that's a pov based on my current Market ...

... I did Excellent here when I started out, my best single day from past years nabbed me $733.71 ... and I was doing a full-time wage here alone ...

... can't do that one anymore tho, too much has changed on the economics ... I was screwed out my 2.9% Commercial Card Rate with the card reform deal, and maintaing a nominal yearly roll-over on the Inventory would put me in the poor house with last fall's bank regs ...

... the gdp was again revised downward just this morning on da news, and the blame there is on "low inventories" from the Biz end ... so I'm really not talking as an opinion with my take on matters, it's the way it is ... we currently have an absolute rotten Biz climate today and it runs right along with wages and hiring ...

... if things don't change soon with the reg's end of things I gotta consider to seek a different gig like Ranzers' tho, it's just gettin' to be impossible for wholesale to retail and I ain't alone when I say this ... this morning's News speaks for me as well regarding Inventory ...

... Sorry if this offends Anyone but that's what  we can see if/when we look at the big picture of Economics ...

Community Member

in reply to ranzerocks

... I don't mean to disagree with Ya Ranzer, but so far my August 2016 totals are up from my August '15 numbers ... not really dead here at my end, all I've done was to tweek in them keywords and such ...

... guess it depends on what we sell and who we sell to ... my current gig wouldn't go with the Malls or 'Marts ... I don' doubt ya tho, cash is king and card rates today are 10% if we're luckie ...

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

A Fellow seller at the antique mall I sell in just did 900.00 in 1 day at the flea market,I have had a very good summer in my antique mall. Parking lots are full at flea markets and collector shows and the once a month higher end auction houses are getting crazy bids. It is time to face reality,people are using other and older methods to make money! It has been another dead week on ebay and after labor day it's back to flea-ing!

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

... here's something that's kinda interesting, and it applies to those of us with Stores ...

... I've been messing around with the store category keywords and such, which for me has worked to kick things up a skosh ... and I've now found another aspect worth note ... I checked into my "favorite sellers top picks" and I noticed that the four items that are displayed there are gaining a ton of more hits than any of the other items on my roster ...

... the other day I went ahead and removed two of the items and replaced these with two items of mine that weren't selling as much as in the past ... whether or not it's a coincidnece or not, the items that I stoked on my own began to sell ...

... my theory on this - ... the "favorite sellers top picks" is merely a platform for emailing the memebers that have added us as favorite sellers ... in other words, I can use that "top picks" list to send along emails to those that subscribe and follow me, and my email would have four items as being promoted within my email ... the items in the top picks list are typically placed there by the system default ... when we do go to add different items, I'm gonna guess that we're adding these same items to the default criteria that places our items as impression views elsewhere on the site ...

... we see item impressions whenever we do a search for any item ... basically, when we do a search, along to the right side of our reults page we'll see a column of "browse related" ... and when we look into any individual listing, we also see other sellers item listings being promoted as well, typically under the title of "People were also interested in" and there's also other items shown as "see what other people are watching" ...

... like I say, I'm just guessing on this one, but for some reason when I stoked my own two items into the "top sellers list" I'm now getting way more hits, and the items that i stoked there on my own actually sold  few times this week ...

... just a thought, and imo it's definitely worth a try ...

Community Member

in reply to kohend

... if the economy is picking up then why was the gdp again revised down just today ...

... the "good news", allegedely, is that consumer spending rose ...  that's cuz the consumer spending numbers also factor inflation into the mix ...

Community Member

in reply to thirdplanettreasures
Yes! this is happening to me also. I can't believe it that instead to get Better is getting Worse when the economy is picking-up. I did a lot better when the economy was all down and with the downturn in jobs this help me to survive through that bad time, now I really don't understand people are getting jobs but sales are going down. This is to much stress and sadness I had to come down in prices just to get my money back. I'm not buying anymore, I can't if I don't have sales. I started to look for a job already when I thought I didn't have to do that anymore and I was happy to find something that I could keep up with bills while raise my son from home. I completely disconnected from what I was doing before ebay that now I have to catch up very fast to find a job. I'm desperate and praying every day that things change or I find a new job soon.
Community Member

in reply to thirdplanettreasures

Yes! this is happening to me also. I can't believe it that instead to get Better is getting Worse when the economy is picking-up. I did a lot better when the economy was all down and with the downturn in jobs this help me to survive through that bad time, now I really don't understand people are getting jobs but sales are going down. This is to much stress and sadness I had to come down in prices just to get my money back. I'm not buying anymore, I can't if I don't have sales. I started to look for a job already when I thought I didn't have to do that anymore and I was happy to find something that I could keep up with bills while raise my son from home. I completely disconnected from what I was doing before ebay that now I have to catch up very fast to find a job. I'm desperate and praying every day that things change or I find a new job soon.