eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

[ Edited ]
in reply to lostnfound101

4914 posts and 6 years later, this thread won't die Smiley Sad

Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

Community Member

Patience is the ability to let your light shine after your fuse has blown out.

PostingID

Community Member

... actually, the Best Tip I can give anyone is -  ... if at all possible look into the PowerSellers Board ...

... over there it's Biz as usual, and very seldom (if ever) does anyone complain and gripe about how impossible it is to move Goods ...

... Sorry ta say it as such, but, I ain' lyin'.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

... and yes I'm gonna continue clutterin' up this thread with Useflul Tips ...

Community Member

in reply to kumaritreasures

kumaritreasures wrote:

I have printed this comment, I need to reread it since you make mention of stuff I am unsure about, then I may need your help. Thanks for offering.

... hey and while I'm babblin' about keywords here's one for Yer printer ... we're gonna make the most of our item titles by comparing the titles to the actual searches used by Buyers ... sound confusing ..??.. it ain't, it's simple to do once we take a quick look at our Traffic Reports ...

... I really don' like to come out and say 'hey ya gotta do this then go here and then"  ... so what I'll do is show Ya how I go about it all -

... I go to my Seller page, and along the far left we see all the different seller tool categories, and right below our "sold" tallies we see "shortcuts" ... I go there and click onto "manage my store" ...

... now I'm on my summary page, and again to the left we have categories listed ... I scroll down to the "reports" category and click onto "traffic reports" ...

... then I get a page that says "see traffic reports" and I do a click there ... Ya might have to log in again when clicking there yet You'll then get to the actual Report, which imo is Priceless ...

... once the entire Report downloads, I see a column that lists "search terms driving sales" ... my list shows me 22) seperate and numbered phrases there, and those are the actual words and phrases that were used by Buyers prior to finding my item and making a purchase ...

... now then, when I look over the search keywords/phrases there, I know exactly what it was (in exact search keyword/wording) that led the Buyer to my item, and a lot of times I find that the Buyer was actually looking for something else, yet somehow my item appealed to He or She ... also, following each of the numbered search terms are numbers, and those numbers are the actual number of sales made with those same exact phrases ...

... this will apply mostly to Your new items within Yer roster, yet that report can also help with the re-sell collectibles too imo ... I print the entire report from time to time, and then set back and try to find new ways of adding keywords to my item titles, based on the actual seach terms the Buyers are using ... it's also uselfull when trying to spot trends ... as an example, when I see those search terms beginning to switch to snowmobile related item searches I know it's time to begin listing my snowmobile related parts ...

... Susie if Yer already aware of the traffic reports then I Apologize for repeating sumthin' Ya already know, yet if You haven't yet checked into this matter then maybe consider this too, it's Great for makin' sure our item titles are hittin' home with the actual buyer searches ...

... the graph/chart in there is also great for trying to figure out the highs and lows with our Sales days ... mine jump up and down about every two weeks, so I'm kinda figuring that most of my Buyers have payday twice a month ...

Community Member

kumaritreasures wrote:
I have printed this comment, I need to reread it since you make mention of stuff I am unsure about, then I may need your help. Thanks for offering.

... okay Susie I spotted another item of Yours that maybe I can help Ya with as an example ... it's the "Mens Classic Chevy Truck" black colored long sleeve shirt ...

... I'm only picking one item here, cuz Yer Titles look Great and I don' wanna screw things up on Ya, but that one's in the "Mens Clothing> T-Shirts" category and that's imo a rat race with "only" 15,099,665 items listed when I checked ...

... try putting the following in the title ... Chevrolet 3100 Pickup ... that's the model of Chevy truck depicted on Yer Shirt and the 3100 is a pretty collectible Truck for us Guys ... anyhow if I had a 3100 I'd likely want a related tee sooner or later and I myself would put the model number within my search when shopping  ... I just ran a search thru for "Chevrolet 3100 Shirt" and I turned up 337) lisings in the "all categories" ... waaaaay better odds than being one in fifteen million if Ya know what I mean ...

... anyhow, maybe try to add that into the title and see if Ya score any additional hits on that one ... may take a while but let' use that as a test with regards to further fine tune of Yer titles with some of Yer items ... rest of the title seems to look okay, if ya have enuff character space then maybe leave "Chevy" in there too ... if Ya run outta space then maybe pull Chevy and the word "and" that's in between the LG and XL ... if Ya need even more space in the title then maybe consider to pull "classic" yet that's up to You ... Ya need to get Chevrolet 3100 Pickup Shirt within that title imo, then the 3100 Guys will find that easier ...

... anyhow imo that's what we gotta do now if we wanna bag sales ... it's all in the item titles imo, and if we use a little improvisin' we can better the odds with exposure ... and, if Ya change the title and wind up with less hits after ya listened to me well then that's what Ya get for listening to me ... lol

... no seriously, just trying to help, and that's just one item and it can't hurt to use it as a test of sort ... basically, we gotta really know what it is that we sell, and we gotta use keywords here and there to get ahead of the competition ...

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

tactics of sales team.......what ever they do hold back somehow on your sales which i dont know there method....result is you list more ..then all of a sudden you get more sales at some point but have still got more in your shop listed than before thus growing your empire with more stock and eventualy find yourself a much bigger shop than you was before, selling only the same amount as you was before.....come ebay this aint working

Community Member

kumaritreasures wrote:

... Susie, inna while I post up some tips that I used when I fell flat in May, and that was atta time that I shoulda been full throttle with Sales ... I tuned the Store and polished up my listings and titles and inna short time things picked up for me ...

... You've got a Lot going for You, biggest Factor being Your Performance ... 100% on Feedbacks and Yer dsr's are Perfect ... it's paying off for You too, which I learned when I took one item of Yours and ran a search for it ... I can't much relate to the Garments yet I found Yer Harley Knit Top and messed with that one ... did a search for "Harley Shirt" to see if maybe adding the word "shirt" may help with exposure ... I turned up well over 22,000 items with that search ... then I did a search for "Harley Knit Top" and bingo now we have just 2,295 listings, way better odds with that as a title ...

... now then, out of those 2200+ listings You ranked 10th with the best match ... imo that_is_outstanding  ... within the top 10 items some are used and some are new Garments .. You weren't thee number one so I looked into that one to scope things out ... that Top was also a pre-owned used item, biggest difference was a slight lower price and number one Seller offered free shipping  ... "but" the Knit Top offered as number one has a few stains onnit ... if I were looking for a Top for my Gal I naturally wouldn't want that one ... yet right above the item description (for numer one rank) that mentined the stains we also see the row of listings offered by "other sellers", and low n' behold Your Top is shown there, and Yours was furthest to the left of that row of listings, Yours was Thee number one as an alternative choice listing posted by the system ...

... as a Seller I might hate the fact that other Sellers items are shown within my listing ... as a Buyer however, and within those other items shownI just found a Nicer and Better choice for my Gift to my gal, and when i click onto the first one shown there I'd find Your Knit Top, just $2 more and "without" stains too ...

... do those "other Sellers" listings shown work for us or against us ... in the case I just mentioned it worked better for the Buyer in the event the Buyer doesn't want a Knit Top priced a skosh cheaper than others but with stains ...

... my point is, You have Much going for You regarding track record, and by mentioning that You're tuning the listings You've proven Yer motivation ... stay Positive in thought cuz Yer past motivation has You as number 10 out of 2295 listings for that Knit top ... Your other listings are likely right up there too ...

... like I say inna short while I'll post up some tips that I used, it might help You out ...  it'll likely be "Off Topic" to a few here, yet Positive thinking goes way further when making them sold items ... Hang in There ...

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

yeah. Very slow. I just started selling as a side gig back in April and since then I have averaged 6 sales per day, very constant. Since the eBay issues from last month with the servers or whatever, my sales have dropped by 20% despite adding 15% more products and adding vatiations and updating the listing to provide more information and better pictures.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

obviously we all have same problem. Traffic is low, and adding more and more items just dont helping. While ebay statistic showing that all market is up. I don't understand.

Community Member

Susie
Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow ?

in reply to standupstuff

standupstuff wrote:

Some here may find this investigative report on Amazon worthwhile in one way or another.

"Amazon’s algorithm also takes a toll on outside companies hoping to sell products on the website. To increase their chances of winning the buy box, many sellers are paying Amazon to warehouse and ship their products through a program called “Fulfilled by Amazon.” The fees for the program, which vary by size and weight of the items being shipped, can amount to 10 to 20 percent of sales."

https://www.propublica.org/article/amazon-says-it-puts-customers-first-but-its-pricing-algorithm-doe...

A little something to chew on while waiting for another 'On Topic'  submission to come along.

... in summary -

... as we can see within that link, Selling and buying on amazon is very cost inefficient and amazon in itself  is not the reason for slow Sales here  ... amazon Sellers are being subjected to ludicrous fees, and buyers of Loctiite SuperGlue as an example will pay in excess of 30% more thru amazon for the same Product being sold here on EBay ...

... and as specifically mentioned within the link amazons "price plus shipping" is the mainstay for buyer searches ... which is exactly what someone here has been saying ALL ALONG regarding gripes here about best match ...

... as for my question regarding all the past erroneous gripes about google we still have No answer ...

... some People try, and some people try to blame anyone and anything but Reality ...

... and to the person who attempted to convince me a while ago that I and my Biz were being tossed under the bus - ... No, I can't possibly accept that ludicrous notion ... I've been here since 2005 and apparantly I'm un-tossable or the alleged opposition failed.  Period.

Community Member

Re: Ebay Sales Slow. Most refute to accept underlying factors.

... just for the sake of asking, what do the negative types have to say about the google matter ...

Community Member

Re: Ebay Sales Always Slow Now. Most want an answer why.

in reply to standupstuff

standupstuff wrote:

Some here may find this investigative report on Amazon worthwhile in one way or another.

"Amazon’s algorithm also takes a toll on outside companies hoping to sell products on the website. To increase their chances of winning the buy box, many sellers are paying Amazon to warehouse and ship their products through a program called “Fulfilled by Amazon.” The fees for the program, which vary by size and weight of the items being shipped, can amount to 10 to 20 percent of sales."

https://www.propublica.org/article/amazon-says-it-puts-customers-first-but-its-pricing-algorithm-doe...

A little something to chew on while waiting for another 'On Topic'  submission to come along.

... it certainly appears that a ride on the preferred program is a 10 to 20 percent slap on top of the existing cab fee ...

... there's the record profit we hear about.

Community Member

This is too much for a small business. It is almost games we are playing. Like tag....who's next?

I agree with you here.

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE A GAME FOR US TO FIGURE OUT!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting sick of this.

I just want to put some items up and sell them for whatever I can get. I just want to clear out my stuff.

I wish they would lay it out for us.

Here is what you do ;  1, 2 , 3 Sell done. Everybody gets what they want. That would be simple!!!

Just note on different sites.

I put up items on my other 2 accounts half on eBay USA and half on eBay UK.

THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE IN TRAFFIC.

My items on USA 2 or 3 views....

ON UK 20 to 30 each, 2 items are currently selling 50% of them have up to 5 watchers.

On USA ... ZERO WATCHERS ON ANY USA ITEMS.

So are the games being played on us in North America or is it the entire eBay world?

Is anyone out there having success on other eBay sites as well?

Is the USA site dead like the Canadian one?

If you are in the UK, Australia, or other sites please let us know how things are going with your sales there.

Thanks

Community Member

Ebay Sales Always Slow Now. Most want an answer why.

in reply to mrmuffinmanvw

Community Member

... Susie, from Your recent post You show that You're trying to dial in matters, and that's a Great thing ...

... with my post to You admittedly I was trying to get You thinking, which You already are so in turn I'm gonna ask that You consider this - ...

... some of us are willing to see that the funds are tight with the buying sector ... with this in mind, imo do not let the search standings psyche You out, cuz if we can accept that things are tight then we'll likely accept that most Buyers are likely using "price plus shipping lowest first" ... maybe consider to run Your listings thru as such with a search and see how You do ...

... also do consider that You also have auction listings too so again a best match search would be irrelevant, and within Your completed listings You're already getting bids on some items ...

... I'm not suggesting to lower Your pricing, yet if the search results aren't working with the price refinement this could be an issue ...

... also since You've mentioned that Your willing to tune the listings, perhaps consider to try more Site exposure with the Favorite Sellers Top Picks ... if interested ask and I'd be Glad to give You a quick walkthru with it ... imo it's well worth looking into and it doesn't take a lot of time to add items to the small roster there to boost exposure ... any items that I have showing in there are showing way more hits than other items within my entire roster of listings ... with some stuff of mine I'm getting hits yet no takes, and that tells me something ... with my end I Truthfully can't state that Site issues are to blame when I'm slow ...

... other than that, and fwiw don't let the negative talk here about Site issues deflate the sail ... it isn't  a slow-sales issue just here either it's all over, we aren't alone ... Don't give in and Don't give up ...

Community Member

Well, I have. I have changed my titles to duplicate, I have shortened my description. I will not close the store nor change my shipping and refund policies. I want to keep my top rated seller status. One thing I have been doing today. I checked my active listings and then did searches in those categories with like brands/titles/descriptions. Most of my listings were down on the list. I could not see a difference in some of the top 20 listings as I  have been doing, but the most top are adding alot to their specifications. they are adding measurements, features, etc. I am going to try this next. Also, i read an article about browser compatibility with ebay. As soon as you get it figured out they change it. I also listened to a ebay guy on video and he stated that you are brought in the top search results by how active your listings are. I have noticed that when I sell a top of the line or rare item, i sell more. When that listing is done, sales drop. This is too much for a small business. It is almost games we are playing. Like tag....who's next?

Susie
Community Member

... if I were seeing the same then I would duplicate the exact measures of the competition that You mention ... and it wouldn't take all that much effort for such a change ...

... if my Sales didn't spike afterward I would be wrong to assume that the Store the active content and refunds are the cause ...

... just a thought.

Community Member

Yea, I have been tracking a particular seller who blows away everyone else I am tracking. She does not have a stor, using active content, offers no refunds. I am complying and my sales have plummeted.  

Susie
Community Member

...and don't even bother with the gripes about best match, for cripes sake I watched one particular NEWBIE Seller with ZERO FEEDBACKS and absolutely ZERO past History do $1400 in less than 72 hours of listing Their item ...

... They sell "proud to be deploreable" Tee shirts and Their Success just shot the snot outta the best match and alleged "hidden" listings fallacy ... didn't seem to be a need for EBay Basic there.