eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to savanna.dance

savanna.dance wrote:
BD I would still want to be able to sort by price and I wish there was a way to look at everything that is ending soon instead of everything broken down into categories or by keyword. Used to be one of my favorite things, looking at all the stuff ending.

But who has the time to look at 1 million ending listings.
I want what I want and I do not want to see 500 of the latest toothbrushs or toe nailk clippers.
I want to exactly target what I happen to be looking for at the eaxct moment.
Impulse buying is not for me if I happen on a cool looking toe ring, chances are I'm not going to buy it.
I just don't have the time anymore to gleen through 1 million listings to find exactly what I want.
It is hard enought now where I have to add -(fitsSmiley Happy to every search because I will end up with 50 listings for Aluminium colored shirts in my search or an MGB Aluminum Hood, that have no direct relationship with each other then the presense of the word Aluminium.
I am sick of eBay telling me that I may also like the MBG shoe rack or aluminium sock drawer.

I get even more specific and it still adds in USELESS CHINESE PEN SETS with cute bunnys on them. Nothing to do with my search at all.

This is what things have become now for most buyer on eBay. FRUSTRATION or
Go quickly onto eBay, look for exactly what you want, find the cheapest price with free shipping, Buy it Now or Offer nothing for it,
Get it, Complain that it is not as advertised and then get it given to to for free by eBay because they believe the buyers and not the sellers.
This is what eBay has become and Everyone knows it.
You Can't find what you want or you come to screw people out of their items.

They also expect the sellers to make unrealistic shipping times and send everything fully insured in 3 to 5 day shipping time for free.

I do sell all over the world and some countries have a great many levels of shipping options and others zero.
I can send the same $2 item to Florida for $4.95 CND as a lite packet.
but the same item to New Foundland Canada (inside my own country) will cost $16.00 CND.
We do not have our own lite packet rate within Canada. Hence why I very rarely sell to any fellow Canadians up here do to the outrageous shipping rates.

I can send the same thin to New Zealand or Australia for $9.95 CND as a small packet airmail which is uninsured and has no Tracking. BUt if I had to do it eBay's way through global shipping it is more like $70 CND to ship a $2 under 100 gram item.
So how could I ever offer free shipping and keep a TOP SELLER STATUS, it cannot be done.

The Chinese have the worst shipping service and items that are suppose to take 4 weeks take 8 or get lost completely.
YET I see some of them with under 95% feedback still having a top seller status. How can that be?
They sell 50,000 Toothbrushes and Toe nail clippers and have massive amounts of negative feedback yet some still have top seller status.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
BD I would still want to be able to sort by price and I wish there was a way to look at everything that is ending soon instead of everything broken down into categories or by keyword. Used to be one of my favorite things, looking at all the stuff ending.
❀❀❉❥❖I see -no- header information. I will try to use @yournamehere or a quote from your post, to minimize confusion. ✯ ✯Last book read: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert✯ Currently reading: Netherland by Joseph O'Neill❖❉❥❀❀
Community Member

in reply to e-consignnyc

e-consignnyc wrote:

One isn't getting  seen there is no chance of a sale.

There should be only two Search Options...  "Time: Newly Listed" or "Time: Ending Soonest".

Eliminate "Best Match", which favors mega-sellers and Top Rated Sellers... go back to the good old

show in the order, by date and time listed, so small part-time sellers have fair placement in the mix.

We all pay for placement, that placement should be fair to all.

Community Member

in reply to londontradingpost

This is not relative to your anaylsis. There is a system of supporting certain sellers, mainly Chinese sellers. One isn't getting  seenthere is no chance of a sale. I was given absolute top status as a seller with the 20% off fees stc. Still had a hard time finding my own items. Then they pulled the Top sellersautus saying I didn't ship withing one day, which isn't true. The PO often wouldn'tscan the item until it was delivered thus it appeared I mailed it as the package reached its destination. A client cancels their purhase on a whim and its scored as my failure! Their system isn't in order.

Community Member

in reply to londontradingpost

This is not relative to your anaylsis. There is a system of supporting certain sellers, mainly Chinese sellers. One isn't getting  seenthere is no chance of a sale. I was given absolute top status as a seller with the 20% off fees stc. Still had a hard time finding my own items. Then they pulled the Top sellersautus saying I didn't ship withing one day, which isn't true. The PO often wouldn'tscan the item until it was delivered thus it appeared I mailed it as the package reached its destination. A client cancels their purhase on a whim and its scored as my failure! Their system isn't in order.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Yes my sales Down to I don't know why I hope May is better
Community Member

in reply to lv-deals-direct

"Organized Groups" of bad? This sounds intriquing…please explain.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to pugmation

Has anyone else seen a positive swing this weekend? Over the last 5 days it picked up some but as of tonight, for my weekend orders I am not down in sales, but rather I am OVER by 30% as of 7PM EST for my daily sales goal. During this month I had times where I was down by 80%. I am keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed (not to jinx it) that something actually might have been broken that they fixed. Have any of you had some better luck?

Community Member

in reply to vintagerow
I agree with the smell type of things - impossible to prove or disprove - overall I have found that ebay sides with me -- really - at least on the big things but there will always be that faction of purchasers who are bad - most are good - but there are organized groups of bad - I report them and have noticed that some are gone.
Community Member

in reply to bingoyouwonauctions

@bingoyouwonauctions That is a seller issue, not because they are selling on Ebay. That same seller could be selling on Amazon, Etsy, Bonanza or Ali or any of the other sites and would STILL have shipped slow. The answer to that one is, not to buy online and buy something at the store. That would eliminate needing to wait for someone to ship.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Ordered two items from two different sellers on the 26th one item already arrived both sellers charged for expedited shipping, the other seller has not even shipped yet, i find this frustrating no contact from seller !

This is why buyers go elsewhere ! where they dont have to deal with this **bleep**!

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
There are tons of tips out there, but from what I've read, one thing that Cassini likes is buyer engagement with a listing. The more click ins, watchers, wish list, offers, sales, etc. a listing has, the bigger the search engine boost.

That's why a listing with a lot of sales history will be ahead of those with less. So good til cancelled listings are good because of the retention of sales history. However, if a listing goes 30 days without a sale, then it's time to change it, as it will tank in search and start bringing all your other items down with it.

So comb through your listings and use this tip to help:

. List using GTC (Guaranteed till canceled) with a twist

You should list using GTC to retain sales history. The more sales and watchers a listing has, the higher it will go up in search. This means that your listing has good buyer engagement. The twist is, what about listings with no sales after 30 days? You need to END these listings and re-list them! Why? Because it will re-index the listing and wipe the previous history of bad buyer engagement. Once re-listed, your listing will show up as a “new listing” and be on top of search. If the listing gets good buyer engagement, it will stay up at the top. If it gets bad buyer engagement, it will be pushed down in search. So make it a habit to always end and re-list items with no sales after 30 days.

NOTE: When re-listing, make sure you use the “sell similar item” function. This way, you’ll get a new eBay item # with fresh stats.
❀❀❉❥❖I see -no- header information. I will try to use @yournamehere or a quote from your post, to minimize confusion. ✯ ✯Last book read: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert✯ Currently reading: Netherland by Joseph O'Neill❖❉❥❀❀
Community Member

in reply to johsimo-38

Thank you for your post and I am happy with your success. However, I feel a bit insulted at a few of your comments. I happen to use this account to buy things in bulk (generally 1000s of an item) and many of them are from Asia. I sell smaller quantities of these items and generally make 50 cents to $1 a sale. I hope to sell to those who do not want to wait 6-8 weeks to get an item they want, I break it down and sell them what they need in generous quantities for 3 or $4 an order. I have had well over 3000 feedbacks and all 100%. These are not fake gucci bags but rather personal items as well as DIY items. I just depend on having a good volume o0f sales to make up for the small profit. If I were just selling junk, I do not think I would be at 100% feedback with about 200 or so people giving feedback each month. I am very careful at what I buy and start out small before I expand on a particular type of item.

Secondly you refered to most buyers on Ebay being bottom of the barrel kind of people, well I order roughly 50 orders of items every single month ON Ebay, so I take exception to that as well, I have a higher opinion of myself than that.

Again, thanks for your input and please keep posting your efforts, but please try not to be so harsh. We are going through enough as it is, trying to recover from this disaster.

Community Member

Re: Really this is my customer service answer to slow sales????

in reply to minifreek

minifreek wrote:

I got sent the same questionnaire to one of my accounts asking me;

"How often I go to eBay first when I go looking to buy new items as opposed to other sites or the product I am interested in actual specific wed sites.

Do I ever look at any sites to compare prices;

How often? etc, etc.

SO what are they doing about it for sellers?

So ePay just pulled the questionaire they sent me that I posted.

They said I was try to encourage others to leave eBay.

This posting of mine just got a major edit... they gutted all of the questions eBay asked me and left it with this little bit of incoherant rambling. Whoever edited this pulled the list of other sites they asked me if I ever visited.

I guess they do not want others to know they are fishing as well.

I Posted it to show others they are concerned about the current problems that they are not coming clean on.

The TRUST is gone. and they know it.

They pull stunts like that.

they are doing a BRILLIANT job of pushing people out of their market place and into others, NOT ME!

By my posting the questionaire they sent me it is obvious they feel very effected by the MASS EXODUS of sellers and Buyers.

I can't TRUST eBay anymore.

I think I am done with this and the ZERO sales that Are now 9 days old.

I have one bid and that is it 

I HAVE ZERO TRAFFIC NOW!!!!
SO YOU ARE MESSING (NOT WHAT I REALLY WANT TO SAY) WITH THINGS AGAIN AREN'T YOU EPAY!!!!!

WHY DON'T YOU COME CLEAN AND TELL PEOPLE THAT YOU HAVE MAKE A NUMBER OF MISTAKES AND JUST GO BACK TO SOME OF THE THINGS THAT REALLY WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Member

in reply to johsimo-38

I beg to differ with you and no - you didn't read all the comments. You've been selling since 2011? Come on - that is not nearly enough experience to know what is going on BUT I would agree that eBay very possibly is a dying platform. Congrats on your own website, too. The economy is a good part of the problem. Just because some items are selling doesn't mean that everything is great. So, what you are saying is that Carrier and other companies sending their jobs overseas has no impact on retail sales? That is not true at all. The fact that wages have been stagnant for almost 20 years? You're not paying attention. Just because the River's sales shot up doesn't mean that the economy is great. It just means that they sucked sales from elsewhere. It was just reported the other day that GDP grew at less than .5% in the 1st quarter, the slowest in 2+ years and never once in the last 8 years has the GDP been above 3% for a year. That is even after the national debt was more than doubled in the 8 years. This is all there is to show for it?

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
You have to wonder if this is related to PayPal canceling their NC expansion due to their bathroom law. Just google and you will see tons of people saying they canceled their PayPal accts and the timing of very slow sales coordinates with when they made the announcement, somewhere are April 10. I think this has to do with the slow sales because it has been a major drop off of activity.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Dear All,

I have read most of your comments on this thread and though that I would jump in and share some our eBay experience and research with you all.

We have had a store on eBay since 2011, and we have also experienced the slow sales on eBay recently but more so sales on eBay have been going backwards for many years now. This is in contrast to our website which we launched in 2012 has been growing every year by around 50% however this year it’s up nearly 120% year to date. We have over 700+ visitors per day to our website and this swells to anywhere between 1000 and 4000 per day in our busy months between August and October.

It’s not the economy and it’s not that there is an IT problem with the eBay platform. The reality is simple. eBay is a dying market place that has had its day and its backward spiral is non-reversible. There are a reasons for this but no more obvious and key than the word “TRUST”. That is, people don’t trust eBay anymore and not that they ever did trust eBay it’s just that nowadays there are other more trustworthy places to buy and shop online. How do we know this, because we have spoken to 100s if not 1000’s of our customers over the phone and whatever their story the concept is that they don’t trust eBay. Look at it as it is:

• eBay was hacked a few years back and everyone's information (including passwords) was collected from hackers. They say it did not affect PayPal but let's be serious here. How many people use the same password for eBay and PayPal.... I say conservatively upwards on 50%.
  • Most goods sold on eBay are counterfeit or fake. That is, sellers steal images to sell cheap knock off product that they have purchased in Asia.
  • The platform is not so easy to use either as a buyer or seller. You know this yourselves.

As a seller why would you trust eBay. I mean look at the list

• How many sellers that are from China / Asia are in front of your listings? 100's i would say because they have access to the same product as you but get it at much less and the cost of living is far less in china so when they make $2 from a sale it’s a big deal. When you make $2 you are lucky if you can buy a bottle of water.
  • eBay does not care about you whether you are loyal or not. It’s not a 2 way relationship. The bottom line is they need to make money and they will always give preference to sellers that turnover more product. More often than not, those sellers that make more sales retail counterfeit product.
  • Their fees are upwards of 12%
  • They refund buyers when you as a seller have done nothing wrong
  • They hold you by the (you know what’s) if your feedback is not up to scratch, but this is really hard as most buyers that are left on eBay are really the bottom of the barrel kind of people

I feel for you all as I know how concerning it is, but you do have a choice.

pugmation wrote:
I honestly have never seen ebay so slow. The Buyers are not bidding at all. Is it just me? I think around Memorial Day it got real slow and has been slow ever since. I listed several items at .99 cents and I cant even give them away LOL What to do? Do I just wait for a while for ebay to get busier before I relist or just lower the prices to get bids? Anybody else notice a difference on sales the past couple weeks?

Community Member

in reply to philgre-lm9pv3

Thanks for the info, maybe something might happen. Please update us if you learn more. I know they always say they will call you back with an update but never do.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
I just spoke with ebay customer service and they are filing a report because they are receiving so many calls for slow sales. My last sale was 11am and I average 1.5 sale's an hr. I've sold 6 item's today.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to pugmation

I've been having good sales February 30 items a day March 20 item's a day then this month average 13 item's a day and today 6 item's sold so far. Something is wrong with ebay. EBay is loosing it's market share.