eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

pgnaturalhealth
Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to birds*computer

Yip even slower yet .. I think its all bad business practices, google slaps .. all talked about previously.  I dont think ebay is done yet.  If youve had a chance to ck out Amazon.  Their Holiday prices are NOT low and variety is not at all great and listing in a manipulative order like always...   Plenty of competitive room for everyone.  I think the economy is not as healthy as theyd have us believe.  (who else have received amazon "give us your ideas for improvment" emails??)

Ebay tho .. does need GOOD STRONG VISIONARY LEADERSHIP which can juggle all business needs w/o screwing others !!  Thats part of basic business that was ignored the prior 6 years...  Without Good Leadership, like any other business .. your going to Fail.  So will ebay w/o good Leadership.  Im just so tired of wondering in the ebay dark wondering where the trip wire is hidden...

Community Member

in reply to kansas_gal06

From now on as i see the situation on ebay only professional sellers will sell and all junk staff no more . Shoppers become more smarter how to shop so is hard to get their money now easly unless you have enough experience to sell . What to sell when to sell or when you need to lower your price or when you need to hold on your product . Some sellers thinks by lowering their prices will let other sellers close their business and this is wrong because they giving their good product for free and they go back to buy the same item they can't find it any more . Use your common sence before you think to sell on ebay because this is not a fun place any more this is surious business .  So the smarter the buyer is , the harder for the seller to sell . Wish you all good luck . Thanks

kansas_gal06
Community Member

in reply to old_man_arthur

Completely agree, blue!  Esp loved this line:

old_man_arthur wrote:

Also the same people who complain about eGreed being all about the money, and the people who buy pallet loads of junk and are angry because the cannot earn 400% profit anymore because the Chinese folk are selling the same stuff for 99¢ with Free Shipping.

blue-vintage
Community Member

in reply to old_man_arthur

oma, good post and great 'pitch', hope you sell some guitars after Christmas

old_man_arthur
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to blue-vintage

BV-- You are quite correct about "Nothing stays the Same".
Many people remember how wonderful eBay was when it was all people selling their Personal belongings, Antiques, Hand-made items, Hot Wheels cars and Beany Babies.
But the current eBay is a Business. And the only reason it even allows "small sellers" is so that the Corporation can use that image for advertising.

Also the same people who complain about eGreed being all about the money, and the people who buy pallet loads of junk and are angry because the cannot earn 400% profit anymore because the Chinese folk are selling the same stuff for 99¢ with Free Shipping.

I do miss the Good Ol' Daze.
But I ain't even selling here like I used to.
I expect to be listing some stuff after Christmas.
"Nobody gave you a Guitar for Christmas?
Here's a chance to spend that money Grammy gave you!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 40th Anniversary Ovation Balladeer K1111;  photo 67d682d4-316d-4027-9f13-b4c5bff79d5c_zpsb6c5fd50.jpg
shirla2005
Community Member

in reply to ellsworthpratt

Hey dear friend, nice seeing you here on this site!!! I think I may know the reason why your sales are off....have you heard of "rolling blackouts?" Rolling blackouts is what ebay does to sellers in order to make room for the Chinese sellers. There will be a day your sales are great, the next day, you may not make one sale. This is because eBay has hidden sellers listings in order to promoted sellers in China! Each Friday on Youtube, there is a guy, Joe, he makes a video about ebay, paypay issues, problems, stories, etc. Joe has 3,000 subscribers. His latest video that came out today, Friday, 12/19/14....talks about eBay's ROLLING BLACKOUTS. If you wish to view this video, go to Youtube and in search bar, type in: eBay Looks to Increase its China Seller Base and Partial Refunds. You may even wish to subscribe to Joe's video. Hope this helps. My sales are down also....really down.

shirla2005
Community Member

in reply to uniquecoolstuff

I think I may know the reason why your sales are off....have you heard of "rolling blackouts?" Rolling blackouts is what ebay does to sellers in order to make room for the Chinese sellers. There will be a day your sales are great, the next day, you may not make one sale. This is because eBay has hidden sellers listings in order to promoted sellers in China! Each Friday on Youtube, there is a guy, Joe, he makes a video about ebay, paypay issues, problems, stories, etc. Joe has 3,000 subscribers. His latest video that came out today, Friday, 12/19/14....talks about eBay's ROLLING BLACKOUTS. If you wish to view this video, go to Youtube and in search bar, type in: eBay Looks to Increase its China Seller Base and Partial Refunds. You may even wish to subscribe to Joe's video. Hope this helps. My sales are down also....really down.

uniquecoolstuff
Community Member

in reply to birds*computer

Sales are slow. My inventory has gotten better and listings increased but my sales are down and profit margins slimmer.

I had about 220 listings last December and made 75 sales, I have 450 listings and but 42 sales here and the month is

nearly gone. I project 50 sales (66% of last year) with over 200% more listings of better stuff. In addtion I will put in my

pocket less due to fees and shipping costs. Working for minimum wage and one room in my house is designated for storing

and shipping my items. Not a good ROI. If Ebay does not fix this trend I'm having a big yard sale and tapping out. Big, fat,

gready corporate executives don't care, just like banks and banking fees. Charging 30 cents to list in certain categories such

as antiques and collectibles, what a bunch of **bleep**. They need me, I do not need them as I have a college ddegree and 6 figure

income. This is but a hobby and they hav taken most of the fun out of it. I do have friends that live on the edge and use ebay

income to make ends meet, I feel sorry for them as they are the real victims.

Community Member

in reply to blue-vintage

If our sales drop down ebay should drop down their final value fees . Like me as a seller if i buy an item with $100 trying to sell it on ebay no matter what if i make profit on this item or not ebay still take their cut . So as a small sellers we have to understand ebay is sharing our money even before we sell the item no matter what they still have to take their cut after we sell it . Their final value fees shouldn't be more than 6% on any product or they can take 12% but they have to cut paypal fees and this is easy to do it by accepting direct payments through ebay and cut paypal by have their own bank not getting our money left and right making us just working for them because they sharing our money without investing any money . This way will give us the chance to lower our price and grow faster, have more product to list , have a fair maket for every one here no matter what small or big sellers . Compatition on ebay is huge the market is also huge but we need honest people to run that site fairly to do honest business for every one . Thanks  and Merry Christmas 

blue-vintage
Community Member

in reply to blue-vintage

After reading  over & over about this and researching I think it's time to get real.

Yes, ebay was fun all those years ago when you could start an item out for .99 and watch the bidding wars. That's gone, done, bye bye.  Nothing stays the same. Remember how ebay first started between employees wanting to sell something? I won't go into it but I'm sure the originators had no idea how it would end up. Big business acquires and changes & grows. People get stomped in the cut throat process.

I've decided, after reading more on the disappearing sales that it's not the slow economy because people are buying like crazy. Just not here as much. I read one article that said sellers are pricing their BIN items at retail prices driving buyers elsewhere, like retail stores. I've said for a long time that pricing is rediculous by tons of sellers. So the greed goes both way.  Those higher prices seem to work on Amazon but not here so much.

Whether it's google search issues or ebay throttling sales\views it will only get worse for the small time seller. A nice class action suit of about 50,000 sellers demanding only 10% of their fees back for the past 18 months would be a good start. It would be a gesture only as nothing would come of it.

There was also the hacking scandal that scared away tons of buyers.

Ebay isn't really a venue for the small time seller anymore they just want to 'appear' as though they are. They make plenty from the advertisers and major retailers selling here so I don't think they're exactly worried about losing our fees.

Alot of us sell hard to find, discontinued or vintage items. This is still the best place to go for that, IF buyers can find us.

Find new venues to sell, confront\contact ebay CEO's to get clear answers or just go with the flow.

Community Member

in reply to ellsworthpratt

I know, it's really ridiculous. Although I'm a small time seller, I do rely on the sales to help pay bills and put food on the table. Since mid November my sales plummeted, but more so I've noticed my items aren't even getting views/watchers despite being a "power seller" with a 100% seller rating and pricing everthing on the low end. At this point I'm making far less than minimum wage! yep, a job at McDonalds would bring in more income! I don't think I will even be able to cover Ebay's fees this month which will ultimately sink my little humble ship.

It's over for the little guy! And apparently for even some of the bigger guys as this forum clearly indicates.

So sad.

Community Member

in reply to warehse18

Sooo Slow!! - no sales, no watchers - what's up??

pgnaturalhealth
Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

@

hidy-hoo wrote:

A possibility?

EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com

Mon Dec 8 2014 13:43:45
Leaked: eBay Hidden Limits Throttle Seller Sales

By: Ina Steiner

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2014/12/1418064225.html

pgnaturalhealth
Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

@

Thanks for Posting this.  Yip, its nice to see others see this too, its So Obvious !!   And btw illegal as well (Im not legal expert or I may add any other kind of expert.  But I can see whats in plain view...  throttled Sales/Controlled sales no matter how much you try and grow ... "sellers reported evidence of such a practice. Last week, an eBay employee revealed"

Community Member

in reply to blue-vintage

I normally sell about 50 items from thanksgiving til around now, only sold 11, dont know why ebay is so quite, my last order was on monday.hope it changes.....

hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to carlisse123

A possibility?

EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com

Mon Dec 8 2014 13:43:45
Leaked: eBay Hidden Limits Throttle Seller Sales

By: Ina Steiner

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2014/12/1418064225.html

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

I have a store, to save on listing fees, get some form of analytics* and hopefully have a better position in cassini (ebays search engine). Ive grown from 1 listing in may to nearly 300 today. I assumed more listing = more sales , but that just hasnt been the case.

I have seen in december a SHARP decline in sales, when I had assumed the holiday season to be brisk.

I remembered reading a bit in july about google delisting ebays doorway pages and didnt think much about it .

I think that what we are seeing in slow sales may have alot to do with google punishing ebay this summer.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2263313-ebay-can-survive-googles-punishment

*Registration Required

I read this and it makes sense, 

Summary

• Google punished eBay for exploiting SEO optimization to get better search engine results rankings.
  • The lower search engine visibility of eBay web pages hurts the company’s core business. Online sellers on eBay will suffer from Google’s punitive action.
  • Google absolutely despises search engine optimization tactics that are exploitative. The ‘doorway pages’ tactic of eBay offended Google.
  • eBay can just formulate new SEO tactics to recover its search engine rankings.

The sellers on eBay will have to put up with the -48% drop in eBay's SEO visibility. Consequently, eBay's revenue will feel the pain if the current situation lingers.

lovethose49ers
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Suggesting, Trending, Recommeding Tools are not accurate in any way, shape or form!

Imo of course.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Community Member

in reply to snm4entertainment

I find the suggested pricing tool  needs work.. It has told me to price a piece of jewelry listing over a thousand dollars to under 100 dollars, and it was a heavy item priced at near spot gold already.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

I, too, have seen eBay's sales not just flatten but virtually go away. There is a caveat to my situation: I departed Monsoon - my multi-channel listing service - in September, and that affected new listings because, frankly, it's a bit difficult listing with Turbo Lister (I have experienced a couple of bugs with it). But that's all anecdotal. I believe eBay's problems are serious: one, because of all the free listings' promotions (saturating the marketplace) which signals to me that there are internal numbers' problems; and the outside effect of Amazon's FBA.

I use FBA and pricing on it makes it tough to price on eBay. I don't want to go into all the whys/hows, etc. but basically one can sell at a much higher price on FBA but comparatively on eBay that price can scare away customers, and they don't easily get the 2-day shipping which FBA can promise. And so if one is also listing on FBA with FBA prices, those prices need to be adjusted - and that's time-consuming.

My two cents.