eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to 01pnuts
The law of remote selling covers this However - you can insist that the item be in its original packaging and un opened This means that you have to seal / place a seal / or enclose the item in a completely sealed package If the item is opened then you need to state no refund is possible Ebay will have to ask the customer if they opened the package seals. This however can be non practice with certain items The other way when refunds are not possible is when the item is bespoke ie. made to order to the customers spec. The writing is on the wall for many ebay sellers Ebay is a self defeating sales platform as it leads to deflation or poor margins It will eventually revert back to items where margins do exist to cover problems such as yours solution : stick to it if over all you are making a profit at the end of the month OR start to get items which keep you ahead of ebays ridiculous business model
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
I've had 2 sales this month and both are claimingrefunds due to item not as described, I clearly have a NO REFUNDS OR RETURN POLICY, BUT EBAY IS siding with the buyer and says that I have to refund the money. I don't understand how us seller s can male any money this way, and we have to pay for the return shipping, WHAT is the point of saying NO REFUNDS if ebay is going to issue the return anyway
thanks,!!! BTBALBOA
Community Member

in reply to thegiantcat

I follow the financial markets some and in the last couple days the BEA announced that durable goods orders fell from the month previous. That is now 5 straight months of falling orders from factories. Last time this happened was 2008/2009 around the time this discussion thread started AND the financial meltdown in the US.. That explains some why the sales drops have been sudden and dramatic. Of course, there will always be items that sell that are deemed necessary by consumers. But that leaves most of us with dramatically lower sales.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Wow. Found this thread because I'm having the same issue. Not a slow decline, just fell off a cliff since mid March. I've had one sale since then and the buyer hasn't paid. Had booming sales before Christmas, the January lull, picked up just like it's supposed to, then nothing..
Community Member

in reply to briggs_wood

Hello, I have been on the phone with support now four times in the past two weeks. I typically sell an item or a few items every one to three days. I have not sold one item since March 14, 2015. I sell a fair amount of backpacks, especially now, during spring break. My sales have been zero in two weeks. So, as you say, this has been going on since mid month. When I call in, they say they can see my items, etc. and that it will be reported to the technical team, but then nothing happens.There are other glitches I've been noticing on my end during this same time frame like having unsold items but not being able to see the actual number of unsold items until I click on the heading. Or, trying to "revise the heading" on an item but when I go into that screen it just locks up and I have to close down the browser. I actually did have one customer service rep agree that he had been getting calls complaining about the same thing, but since then, about a week ago, nobody will admit to any such issue.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp *simulating crickets*

Community Member

in reply to watchbatteryukltd
From about mid March 100% something has happened No sales from 16/03/2015 Why ? I have no clue his happens now and then on ebay but this has been the worst "FLIP OVER" they have done so far i THINK THERE IS A LOT GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES AT EBAY & OTHER E COMMERCE PLATFORMS Please let us know if you find out anything
Community Member

well I would like to throw my hat into the ring as well. I sell  usedmotorcycle parts and  at this time of the year usually people are frantically getting their bikes ready for the Easter Rideout and the onset of good weather. at this time of the year I expect to see sales really pick up. Well, my sales have fallen off a cliff. In the last week I have sold 3 items. I also have a job in London and I have noticed that the streets are quiet in comparison to March of last year. I don't know if the 2 things are connected. I've also been having some problems as a buyer with my PayPal account. Sometimes the payments would not go through and sometimes it said it would take the money from my bank account after 14 days...... I contacted eBay and they blamed it on PayPal. I contacted PayPal and they said it been done by eBay. I certainly did not opt in to this option myself . I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it because people don't like the thought of money coming out of their bank account that they have either forgotten about or were not prepared for so at the point of payment they may navigate away from the page. In my experience people simply prefer to pay when they buy the item. These are theories but I would be interested to know what everybody else has to say. I'm rather suspicious that eBay have done something to their system which has resulted in severe detrimental sales for us all..................

Community Member

in reply to ellsworthpratt

I have been on ebay since 1996 and have never seen it this bad. I am getting 50-60 percent for items. I know the normal price as am an expert at antique sales. I think it is the economy and people are holding back because they see something coming. The stock market is incredibly over priced with P/E ratios that are crazy. The governement debt has to be dealt with and the global economy is slowing to a stand still. The Federal Reserve thinks they have everything under control but we shall see. Bad sign......

Community Member

in reply to lookfabfeelfab

Horrible sales with no relief in sight! 

Community Member

in reply to prioritypricesfreepost

I just started selling, seriously, in Dec. and was going well right out of the box. I was getting a sale everyother day sometimes 2x's a day.  I have only 3 sales in March. Like many of you, I tweeked and checked spellings, added extra photos.. One day I did something right..I could see hits coming in fast on on of my items..THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IT STOPPED!! right before my eyes.. the visits on the browser tab just disappered.  Something or somebodies must be waving a magic wand around to do away with traffic.

Then I called support they were very helpful. I learned these monthis leading up to tax season  then to slow  plus Summer  is somewhat slow. Unforuntately, my rating was reduced to below standard- which is effecting my sales.

Also Add,  the was a dock workers strike at the Long Beach CA harbor. Ships from china are backed up and waiting to be processed. The back up is pretty heavy.

but....Still as much as Ive seo'ed my listings, tm getting only 1 - 2 hits a day.

Community Member

in reply to lainegrant

I've been reading about other sellers' slow sales for 2-3 weeks now.  Mine are the same....lights out.  Made $30 last night.   Worst month ever since I began selling in 2003.  Still none of us have a plausible answer.  I'm still scratching my head.  But, I just had an epiphany?  Maybe eBay has a sinister plot to weed out some of its sellers........by putting out the lights on us; thereby tanking sales so bad that we leave eBay?   That's the only thing I can think of.  Well, if they want me off the site, it won't be long before they get their wish, if sales don't pick up soon.  I will find another venue......maybe a physical location near my home.   Is threr an eBay Seller's Hit List that we're on?  Perhaps.......just thinking out loud.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to supersnipegb

I agree with you  that it could be a technical issue. There is something very strange indeed especially when PowerSellers and "super sellers" with major feedback are saying the same thing. We surely haven't sold anything in comparison to most on here!

I have noticed that stores have been slow in my area though. Not to say you can draw any direct conclusions from that, but it is a data point that is worthy of attention. Also used to sell a number of items on the Global Shipping Program. Its been a number of months since anything has gone out.

Wished whatever it was would clear up. It is obviously significant to amount to a sudden and fairly immediate drop.

I'll chime in if I see any changes in our sales. Nothing yet.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
We are way down on last year, about 60-70%. The decline started in October 2014 for us and it's not been right since.

We don't think it is anything to do with the economy or weather and we can't say with have noticed any issues with Paypal so god only know what it is.

We have tried deleting and relisting items, altering item specifics, better pictures, free P&P, new lo listing template, new shop format, constant promotions and sales but nothing works it's just down, down, down and there is nothing we can do about it.
Community Member

watchbatteryukltd wrote:

Hello, is anyone listening? To all those people who are saying it's the weather, it's other auction sites, it's competition. It isn't.

Like prioritypricesfreepost mentioned it's nothing to do with these factors. If any of those things had an effect it wouldn't be so marked or immediate. You would see a gradual drop off in sales. As I have said we have suffered a 75% fall overnight.

I updated all our listings with a message saying that people having problems paying via PayPal should contact us and some have. I have a spreadsheet now with dates, Items IDs, User IDs and error codes and I have passed these on to Ebay. Some customers have contacted Ebay independently and are told it's to do with our seller account. I have phoned Ebay 4 times about this and I am still waiting for a phone back from their technical team who are looking at all the evidence I have provided regarding failed transactions.

Since the beginning of March we have had no items purchased via the Global Shipping Programme. We used sell 2 or 3 items per day. Not one sold in over 3 weeks now. This is not the weather, competition or American or UK fiscal policies causing this effect. The problem is something to do with a change either Ebay or PayPal, or both, have made.

Note that we have an independent website, the traffic to which has been constant during March 2015. Sales via this website have not changed significantly. Ebay sales have fallen off a cliff as others have found.

I will continue to press Ebay (UK) for an answer and their findings, but suffice to say, I have been in this game long enough to know that it's an Ebay/Paypal issue.

AJ

Totally agree with everything  

Community Member

same situation here. NO SALES! and almost NO watchers on items that multiple watchers before! very frustrating. I called eBay and they told me they had no technical issues and things should be working as usual! Very strange....

Community Member

in reply to ladyluvstools

Hello, is anyone listening? To all those people who are saying it's the weather, it's other auction sites, it's competition. It isn't.

Like prioritypricesfreepost mentioned it's nothing to do with these factors. If any of those things had an effect it wouldn't be so marked or immediate. You would see a gradual drop off in sales. As I have said we have suffered a 75% fall overnight.

I updated all our listings with a message saying that people having problems paying via PayPal should contact us and some have. I have a spreadsheet now with dates, Items IDs, User IDs and error codes and I have passed these on to Ebay. Some customers have contacted Ebay independently and are told it's to do with our seller account. I have phoned Ebay 4 times about this and I am still waiting for a phone back from their technical team who are looking at all the evidence I have provided regarding failed transactions.

Since the beginning of March we have had no items purchased via the Global Shipping Programme. We used sell 2 or 3 items per day. Not one sold in over 3 weeks now. This is not the weather, competition or American or UK fiscal policies causing this effect. The problem is something to do with a change either Ebay or PayPal, or both, have made.

Note that we have an independent website, the traffic to which has been constant during March 2015. Sales via this website have not changed significantly. Ebay sales have fallen off a cliff as others have found.

I will continue to press Ebay (UK) for an answer and their findings, but suffice to say, I have been in this game long enough to know that it's an Ebay/Paypal issue.

AJ

WatchBattery (UK) Ltd - Batteries without the overcharging
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Anyone think it might be all the auction houses that they have let in.  Look at the live auctions.  It takes the buyers off ebay to the auctioneers site.  Saturday there were over 21 live auctions that ebayers could bid on.  Are our customers leaving ebay to buy?

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Very slow for us as well. I think it may have to do with the several thousand EBay employees they laid off during the first quarter. Hopefully things will get better.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

The same for me so slow problem with revised items and Listed. It been Worst this Week. The said is technical Problem What a Joke!!!!!