eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to hunterextrordinair

hunterextrordinair wrote:
Exactly. How do they fix it. Campaign. Why aren't they campaigning after the big password fiasco. A simple ad on TV, we are sorry, here is what we are doing to keep you save and avoid this from happening again, here is why you should come back and shop with us again. We don't have tons and tons of China **bleep** pages to weed thru to get to the good stuff, we don't let unscrupulous sellers sell you **bleep**, we don't let them lie to you, we are working on making all sellers give you a 30 day, no 60 day wait let's make it 90 day return policy incase you just change your mind…you know stuff like that. That'll get em shopping again.

I would guess as soon as they start losing money.  Last I read about eBays situation, they were actually making a decent profit, and even growing revenues, but nowhere near Amaz*n....I mean they trail them by so much, it is embarassing.

That is the problem for little sellers...eBay brought in the china and big box sellers to marginalize the small fries.

I think we are just an annoyance.

Community Member

in reply to eliteproductsupply
Exactly. How do they fix it. Campaign. Why aren't they campaigning after the big password fiasco. A simple ad on TV, we are sorry, here is what we are doing to keep you save and avoid this from happening again, here is why you should come back and shop with us again. We don't have tons and tons of China **bleep** pages to weed thru to get to the good stuff, we don't let unscrupulous sellers sell you **bleep**, we don't let them lie to you, we are working on making all sellers give you a 30 day, no 60 day wait let's make it 90 day return policy incase you just change your mind…you know stuff like that. That'll get em shopping again.
Community Member

Yep, that's why I think it's a consumer confidence issue. Why would you pay more for an item at one place when you know you can find it cheaper else where (i.e. eBay). Because you don't trust that site. Because they have screwed you one too many times, because you fear security issues etc. etc.

Update: yet another dead weekend for me - no sales whatsoever and the week as well with no sales at all.

Yeah, it stems from eBays start up history where they had sellers making tons of cash, and were left alone to treat buyers like **bleep**.  Started in the 90's and went into the early 2000's.  You can still hear from the sellers on Youtube where they basically say it was like the wild west with no accountability.

Amaz*n was allowed to learn from eBays growing pains, and didn't have to get its hands dirty.   Think of Amaz*n as a nice store in the suburbs.  Think of eBay as the store on the other side of town with a high crime rate.  Sure you can travel into dangerous territory and get a deal, or you can shop in safety and pay for it.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to flarecordman

flarecordman wrote:

I Agree to a point,but I think internet selling in general is dying as more people are going back to the old days buying at shows/flea markets/etc. I sold 7 items yesterday and 5 saturday at my antique mall ,I only rent shelves,kicking but this month in the usually slow month of august. On ebay had 2 sales all weekend on 4 accounts with 2 stores . ETSY AND AUDIOGON also died. I've also noticed since the changes in may where store owners had most of their free auctions removed,this site has fizzled out !

Well different kind of people actually will be at a flea market.  You have the same people that would shop online, but you also have people who would never shop online and don't even have bank accounts.  Flea Markets should never be discounted for this reason because it is a whole segment of the market 'ebay only' sellers ignore.

Also at Flea Markets, people feel they are getting a deal, and generally do not price compare.  They also know they aren't going to pay for shipping and can see your face.

Community Member

in reply to joyeebabystore

joyeebabystore wrote:

Three days ago I started to list some items on eBay UK. I found that although there are no sales yet, the numbers of visits of these items are more than those in US site. What does this mean? The UK site has more traffice than US site?  

I have noticed that items that I never listed on ebay before the past couple of days are getting tons of views.  Actually 2 of those items sold within 24 hours of me listing them.

My old stuff that get set as a relist or sell similiar is basically dead.

I think eBay finally did some updates to Cassini to better detect 'sell similiar' and treats them like a relist, which basically means they both are **bleep**.

I know eBay updated something because the notifications are newer looking as well, this is really recent.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Three days ago I started to list some items on eBay UK. I found that although there are no sales yet, the numbers of visits of these items are more than those in US site. What does this mean? The UK site has more traffice than US site?  

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

I Agree to a point,but I think internet selling in general is dying as more people are going back to the old days buying at shows/flea markets/etc. I sold 7 items yesterday and 5 saturday at my antique mall ,I only rent shelves,kicking but this month in the usually slow month of august. On ebay had 2 sales all weekend on 4 accounts with 2 stores . ETSY AND AUDIOGON also died. I've also noticed since the changes in may where store owners had most of their free auctions removed,this site has fizzled out !

Community Member

Yep, that's why I think it's a consumer confidence issue. Why would you pay more for an item at one place when you know you can find it cheaper else where (i.e. eBay). Because you don't trust that site. Because they have screwed you one too many times, because you fear security issues etc. etc.

Update: yet another dead weekend for me - no sales whatsoever and the week as well with no sales at all.
Community Member

in reply to magical-cottage

magical-cottage wrote:

The US economy has died drastically and has been on a constant downhill slide since 2008/2009.  People just do not have the money to spend on Ebay anymore like they used to.  And things continue to get worse at lightening speed.

Here in the US the homeless population has more than tripled just this past year.  More PhDs than ever before in US history are on foodstamps.  Things are dire here in the US.

I could accept all of that if it weren't for the fact Amaz*n is killing it, and Et*y is on the rise as well.

If anything, eBay should be killing it since both of the platforms I have previously listed are overpriced for consumers.

Community Member

The US economy has died drastically and has been on a constant downhill slide since 2008/2009.  People just do not have the money to spend on Ebay anymore like they used to.  And things continue to get worse at lightening speed.

Here in the US the homeless population has more than tripled just this past year.  More PhDs than ever before in US history are on foodstamps.  Things are dire here in the US.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

From my own experience, Ebay has been falling apart at least since 2008/2009.  In 1998 Ebay was great, but now along with the messed up economy, Ebay also charges way too much for listings, final value fees, etc. 

And people just do not have the money to buy anymore.  Ebay will not be around much longer I fear.

Community Member

eliteproductsupply wrote:

twisttwinkel wrote:

Rigfht on...total grave yard...Sunday and Saturday, been like that for the last 6 months or more....a few years ago,, I did more sales on Sat and Sun that ever duing the rest of the week....so as far as E-bay goes..might as well skip...Saturday and Sunday and go straight to middle of Novemeber and see what it is like then....

Hey, I did get 1 sale at like 11:45p on a different account.

speak of the devil and he will appear...just got an offer right after I typed that last post.

Community Member

in reply to twisttwinkel

twisttwinkel wrote:

Rigfht on...total grave yard...Sunday and Saturday, been like that for the last 6 months or more....a few years ago,, I did more sales on Sat and Sun that ever duing the rest of the week....so as far as E-bay goes..might as well skip...Saturday and Sunday and go straight to middle of Novemeber and see what it is like then....

Hey, I did get 1 sale at like 11:45p on a different account.

Community Member

Community Member

in reply to kittytiamaria

Same here....., slow sales - more opended returns and complaints than sales.  I refunded more money than I made all week.   If you're looking to pay monthly bills with eBay cash,  you're out of luck....sales are too unpredictable.  One month I make 2K....the next  month NoK.  Smiley Indifferent I suppose, the samrt thing to do, is save what you make during good months to pay bills the next, when you hit a dead month.   It is very diffcult fo rme to list when I'm not selling, and when I don't list I don't sale.......catch-22.   I agree, eBay is looking for new listings to attract new buyers.   Stale store inventory is getting no love.....makes me wonder if a store is worth the money/time/effort,  if eBay is turning the lights off/on at random????    If my  sales don't pick up soon, I am going to turn my store off and go on a long vacation, and figure the mess out when I return.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to pgnaturalhealth

pgnaturalhealth wrote:

DEAD ON EBAY - HERES AT LEAS PART OF THE REASON WHY.... Pls see what I found and posted ..EBAY BLOCKING SEARCH ENGINES -

http://community.ebay.com/t5/A-Part-time-eBay-Sellers-Group/EBAY-BLOCKING-SEARCH-ENGINES-PROOF/td-p/...

yeah, most sites have these, you can look at exactly what ebay is disallowing by just going to this URL and pulling the file yourself:

http://www.ebay.com/robots.txt

I did a little test...any URL that is a redirect using the prefix of MyWorld.Ebay.com will not have its description indexed by search engines.

Other URLS that are not redirect work just fine though and have their descriptions indexes by search engines.

Community Member

DEAD ON EBAY - HERES AT LEAS PART OF THE REASON WHY.... Pls see what I found and posted ..EBAY BLOCKING SEARCH ENGINES -

http://community.ebay.com/t5/A-Part-time-eBay-Sellers-Group/EBAY-BLOCKING-SEARCH-ENGINES-PROOF/td-p/...

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

What I would really like to know is this.  Why have Sundays become graveyards?  I mean it used to be Sundays were pretty rockin, even in these Slow Days of Ebay, but for the past 3 weeks they have been a complete disgrace.

Community Member

O.K. OK. take it elsewhere…let talk about how I haven't sold anything all week. Let's talk about how we all know and suspect eBay is hiding our listings, favoring new ones over relist etc. etc. How can WE (the powerless) fight back against unfair practices. Let's talk about where all the buyers are, etc. etc.

Agreed Smiley Sad 

Community Member

Ugh. I'm feelin' ya on all that. Just had an auction close with a winning bid .... first time since mid June .... and I'm not liking what I see, (aside from the fact that it's a $200 ring selling for $41 with

eliteproductsupply wrote:

Just had a buyer use extortion because they are out of the country now, and can't return the item.  They demanded $11 dollars or they would open up a case on me.  I had thought I had left the days behind with having a huge list of blocked buyers I built from lists online...oh well, I had to pay that buyer off or they would have screwed my DSR.  They are now added to my block lists for all of my stores.

Hooray for eBay for never really protecting sellers from these cheeseball buyers.

The most disturbing aspect was the way the buyer communicated in the message...treated me like a piece of filth, just because they can't fulfill their end in actually doing a return.

free shipping) when I look at the winner's fb. Same old **bleep**, only three transactions shown with three sellers leaving positive and buyer leaving nothing. Hope I'm wrong, but NOT feeling optimistic Smiley Sad  And no more auctions for me!!