eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to chadl285

Yeah, I felt real bad for the guy.  I had heard about that happening to people online but I never met a real person that it had happened to.  The other sad thing is, he knew I was a seller because I had a shipment to go out.  He didn't have anything to send out, he was picking up some mail.  I don't know why they are setting limits on people like that.

Community Member

in reply to eliteproductsupply

Instead of accepting part of the blame for bad sales, they are shifting it to sellers? What kind of a way is that to improve business? Blame everyone else for your problems. Maybe it works in private life but in the business world, that is a 100% way to go out of business.

Community Member

Unreal. What a way to treat someone who has generated that many sales over that period.

Community Member

in reply to bronx-dog

Since changing some of my items to $1.19 shipping, I have sold 3 of those items, and it also led to a 4th sales, that apparently the buyer couldn't find, since it had free shipping.  The buyer found the pair of Jeans with $1.19 shipping, and not the pair of Jeans with free shipping.  I think this confirms cassini is not properly picking up the listings.  These Jeans where essentially almost the same.  Both were Levi 550 36x34...The buyer found the one Google apparently found ,and didn't find the one Cassini hid.  Luckly, the buyer asked me if I had any other Jeans of the same brand and size. 

I think I am going to further change my listings from free to 1.19...at the moment, only about %5 of my listing are $1.19

Community Member

in reply to twisttwinkel

The crazy thing is, I met an eBay seller at the post office the other day, and he has been selling since 2008 with 4000 items of inventory on eBay with 100% seller rating, and eBay recently capped his account to where he is a only allowed to sell $1000 worth of inventory now.  He can only list 25 items a month.  I felt bad for the guy since he was an older man, and depended on the income.  He had the look of desperation in his eyes.

Community Member

in reply to twisttwinkel

It depends on what is defined as making money.  I am making on average now about 1500 a month (Across all my stores), and as far as NET, I am doubling my money on my inventory sold.  I would not call that making money (but some might think I am).  I am talking about people who are making 10K a month and above.  Those people do exist, I have seen proof of people logged into eBay with their Selling Manager open.

These people have huge amounts of inventory or are buddy buddy with eBay.  The crazy thing is, the ones that are not Buddy Buddy with eBay, have since lowered their profile on eBay to sell on other platforms.

Community Member

There are probably a lot of people that make money here on E-bay, You just do not know the right people I would say. I make money every month on what I  sell or I would not be on E-bay. I would like to make a lot more money just like every body else would like to do. How ever, untill things get back to how they should be [ time to laugh now]  then I will just have to be happy with what I make and hope just maybe things might be different some day.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to provatas0

I don't really know anyone who is making money.  If they say they are, they are usually lying about it (exaggerating).  If you know their ebay memberid, you can just look at there last 15 days of sales to expose the lies.  People on Youtube lie all the time, to try to sell you their methods.   There are a couple of people on youtube that make money, but they have been on eBay since the beginning, and have sweetheart deals with eBay.  hubcapjoes guy is a shill for eBay.  Back in 2011 he used to diss ebay and paypal, now he is their biggest cheerleader.  they got him to shut up real fast.

Community Member

in reply to provatas0

I am selling just fine on other sites, selling items i cant here, and selling at flea markets as well.

Its not the economy people!  

THE FAULT IS EBAY

For one they basically closed us off internationally, in order for a buyer to see our items overseas, they need to check 

"Worldwide" how many of them or how many of you know this?  That is unless you pay for your item to be seen.

For another, if you dont have your listings ALL uniform in font sizes, must be 14-18 sizes, no graphics that stores have,

your item wont show up correct on ebay mobile.   When i changed my font size to be totally uniform, sales and views went up on ebay mobile.

BUT, they do not tell you these things.

Another is the roving beta of hiding item descriptions.  

And then just plain hiding the items.

USA sellers have NO favor in best match.  Only china does.  That is unless you got the buddy plan going.  

Then one of the BIGGEST issues is they have techs who dont know how to get the site compatible with all

browsers, amaz can, why cant they?  Must have some pretty bad techs.

There is a huge varible of issues going on here, PLUS Paypal just took all its shared servers away.   

All i can say is i pray this new CEO has the sellers best interest at heart.  

Community Member

I had a freind also a ebayer send a email to the CEO of ebay,  Ebay called her and told all her fault she does not have enough listed and offer free shipping on and on. 

Ebay has lost it tried to become like Amazon Failed. 

Meanwhile Etsy and other sites that took ebays old formula are making it. 

By the time ebay admits to all its mistakes it is going to be late.  Oh by the way were are the ebay sellers thta are making money?

Community Member

in reply to hunterextrordinair

Yes i am doing the same thing Flea Markets  are gret also. 

Community Member

in reply to whiteribbonboutiqueann

Run a yardsale. I made a little over $1,300.00 in July - took me two weekends running 2 day sales starting on friday. Had to pay mortgage, so had to do something - can't rely on ebay anymore.

Community Member

in reply to dknight027

I hear if you call ebay up, they will tell you the following things about why sales are bad...they won't tell you all of these at once, but these are the documented ones I have read about.

• Economy sux
  • Too many Sellers
  • Your listings suck
  • You take bad photos
  • You don't add item identifiers
  • You need to offer free shipping
  • You should buy a store, or upgrade your store
  • And finally, they will tell you it is just the buyer patterns at work.

Community Member

in reply to kittytiamaria

Sadly I must say that I am reading my story in many of these posts.  Misery loves company so thank you all for thatSmiley Happy 

That been said, In talking with eBay I have mentioned that the day my favorite eBay tool is removed and no long available (a tool which allows me track views - Omniture) is also the beginning of my worst sales with the most listing ever.  This has made it hard to assume the best of all involved. 

I have not come to any conclusions yet but here is my theory - I think it is summertime lows and that sales will pick up (which based on my sales lately wont be that hard).  However, I also think that eBay would rather take the heat of discouraged and/or angry sellers than to face the political backlash of coming out and making the following statement, "The ecomomy of the US still sucks (pardon my language).  Americans do not have the money to spend on collectibles and other extras in life when they are trying to keep the roof over their head, and the car in the garage to get to work so they can pay for the roof over their head.  Neither do they have the free time to brows at their leisure.  So until people can buy things on eBay with food stamps you better lower your eBay hopes and dreams goals bar to disappointing at best." 

Of course if my theory is correct 47% of Americans will still disagree.  Of course it is only a theory.

Community Member

in reply to 7673carol

Rumor has it, stock market or something else important is going to be set on fire this september.  There are all kind of Respectable to downright looney people saying the same thing.  It happens every 7 years, tracing back to the 1930's.

Whatever happens, eBay sales will probably suffer.

Community Member

Here is all the info I have collected to try to make eBay 'wprth it':

List 1-2 items a day at a minimum.  If you list more than that, space them out in 1-2 item chunks.

If you are doing auctions, here is my experiece with that:  Price the item at what you really want, and charge some kind of shipping.  I tried free shipping and charged for it, and most buyers just go for the lower item price, and do not even pay attention to the shipping charge.

If you do fixed prices, always include 'Best offers'  If you choose to do 'best offer', to avoid getting slimy low ball offer, add an auto decline rule, so you will not be bothered with those emails.

If you are selling items that are similiar to each other, with possibly the same TITLE, it is important to atleast mix up the words, changing the order, and to also mix up the photos, so eBay staff doesn't target your accounts and penalize you.  It is a recent policy that they will do this,

It is also you duty to promote your own items and store, because eBay can't help you with that anymore, because google smacked them down for spam.

Pull your RSS url, your store URL, and your member URL and chunk those in bulk pinger websites to backback links so search engines will pick up your listings.

Also, create twitter, pinterest, facebook accounts for you eBay, and post your items to there.  I believe there are apps in eBay that will auto submit some of this stuff to social media,but I am not sure of its effectiveness.

The last thing I can think of is to mix of you listing with free shipping and low priced shipping, just to experiment if offering low priced shipping really does get picked up by Google.

I hear there is such a thing as 'Promoted Listings', but eBay only invites certain sellers that privilege.

Seems like there are some sellers that actually go to these eBay 'live' events and I guess 'network' with eBay staff...who knows what happens there.  I heard there will be one sept 10-11 of this year in San Jose.  Seems like sellers that venture out there end up making lots of money on eBay.  I know of this because of that HubcapJoes guys on youtube.  He goes to these, and seems like he is either paid by ebay or is 'taken care of' by eBay.

Community Member

Very strange, no lookers? I sell many places, prices high but no lookers no interests.

Stock market at 18k now.      before collapse it was 8k and they cried I said get down to 2k than you can worry.

Only a fool puts money in the stock market unless you are wealthy, than you buy many when it goes up 20 cents you sell make a fortune it goes down . buy again , the 1% just keep playing all the small investors and suck them dry.

. Something is in the wind?

Community Member

been selling for 9 years and my sales are lower then ever.  selling dirt low prices , some starting at .99 auction.  Hoping it's just a bad month.  read where Sunday and MOnday are best days to sell , so i'll try that.  also , i'll try free shipping again.  There's gotta be a way to raise sales.  Any more ideas?

eliteproductsupply wrote:

well one of my items I marked with '$1.19' shipping just sold on a different account that this one.

so, maybe it works, or maybe this was luck...only more time will tell.

Community Member

in reply to bronx-dog

well one of my items I marked with '$1.19' shipping just sold on a different account that this one.

so, maybe it works, or maybe this was luck...only more time will tell.

Community Member

in reply to twisttwinkel

That is basically my process.  Leave feedback as soon as I am paid, Print label, it auto upload the tracking.  I don't personalize my feeback to the buyer though, I use the canned feeback messages provided to me by the eBay feedback dropdown, since I do notice buyers do not care anyways...just as long as they get it.

I include my feedback flyer in the shipment, since it really seems to work.  I get feedback almost 40% of the time, instead of next to never.