eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

londontradingpost
Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to hidy-hoo

Thats a good point.  If you don't sell its irrelevant but if you do then FB from items bought add to your credibility as most people only see the number and don't actually look too closely.  I.E you could buy 100 items, receive 100% positive, and then be a chit seller!!

hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to londontradingpost

Thanks for posting, london ~ I do understand the reasons for seller feedback and the anxiety that it causes for sellers, especially new sellers trying to establish their selling credentials ~ but my question to d-bag is asking him/her to explain why it is so important for a buyer to receive feedback when all feedback for buyers must be positive.....

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

londontradingpost
Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

Feedback is one of several metrics eBay use to evaluate a sellers performance.  Should this evaluation determine that a seller is failing to meet buyers expectations then restrictions or suspension may be applied to that seller.

FB is also a means by which buyers can judge if purchassing from a particular seller is a good idea.  Good FB = confidence.  This evaluation by buyers is especially relevant when purchassing used items.

hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to d-bag56

d-bag56 wrote:

I can only speak as to why I will probably never use ebay again.  Sellers withholding feedback.  Simple as that. Why do sellers think we, as buyers, owe them feedback first?  I would rather spend my money at Amazon or DHgate.  It's a matter of principle. I am not the only one. My coworkers have voiced the same opinion.  My last 6 transactions on ebay has been met with only one postive feedback received, even though I made immediate payments.  Ebay is not the only venue anymore.  If I were to shop at any retail store, and the shop owner had the same attitude that most ebay sellers had, instead of saying "thank you" for my hard earned money, i would go elsewhere.  I am going elsewhere.

Hi, d-bag ~ I am truly curious as to why feedback from an eBay seller means so much to you.  I am also a buyer with several different IDs for buying in different categories, so am well aware that feedback is voluntary for both the buyer and seller and my opinion on when to leave feedback is not germane to my question to you, as that can of worms will be debated for as long as eBay allows only positive feedback for buyers.

I also purchase on Amazon and I don't receive any feedback, nor do I receive feedback from any of the other online sites that I purchase from.  As far as I know, eBay is the only buying site that has the option for a buyer to receive feedback ~ feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

If the feedback could be traded in, a la, eBay Bucks, for a reward or prize I could understand buyers wanting it, as it would have some value attached to it, but since all feedback must be positive, I guess I just don't understand what the appeal is ~ just trying to understand what the attraction is....

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

londontradingpost
Community Member

in reply to birds*computer
+1 very well put
Community Member

in reply to d-bag56

I respect all your opinion about feedback . Buyers need to understand that without them we can, t do any business and we need their satisfaction 100% so they come and shop again from us . As a seller I do have mistakes but without the buyer help we can, t fix it . Some buyer's with all the respect don't care just they go and leave a feedback without letting us know this action put us under pressure . Give us the chance to make you happy and fix our mistake so we can give the right service . Again customers we need you back without you we are nothing but you need to act responsible so every one be happy . You have to understand that there is many bad people out there trying to take advantage of the system . Also so many competitors there don, t like you to grow so we need your help to give the right customer service . Thanks 

londontradingpost
Community Member

in reply to d-bag56

Leaving feedback is purely optional for both buyers and sellers and neither are required to leave any.

Many sellers choose to leave FB after FB is received as this gives the buyer an incentive to make the effert.  Sadly, some buyers after receiving their item, just don't bother to leave FB.

Personally, I only leave FB after it is received.  Most professional sellers do the same.

And besides, who says a seller should leave first and why?  If I get a shiddy commemt for some random dumb azz reason (I don't but thats not the point) you think I want to leave him a positive FB?  GET REAL!!

Sadly there is an increasing number of unreasonable and skitso buyers out there.  Sellers need to protect their business.  Leaving FB is an asset.  Thats reality!!  Get with the program!!

As Steve says, Long live the Revolution!!  :smileyhappy:

d-bag56
Community Member

in reply to pgnaturalhealth

I can only speak as to why I will probably never use ebay again.  Sellers withholding feedback.  Simple as that. Why do sellers think we, as buyers, owe them feedback first?  I would rather spend my money at Amazon or DHgate.  It's a matter of principle. I am not the only one. My coworkers have voiced the same opinion.  My last 6 transactions on ebay has been met with only one postive feedback received, even though I made immediate payments.  Ebay is not the only venue anymore.  If I were to shop at any retail store, and the shop owner had the same attitude that most ebay sellers had, instead of saying "thank you" for my hard earned money, i would go elsewhere.  I am going elsewhere.

tvvu1991
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Joe on YouTube makes fake videos
londontradingpost
Community Member

in reply to beaded_dreams

Interesting, something well worth doing is activating RSS feeds so Google see your listings - makes a big difference, but every couple of weeks turn RSS off for about 24 hours and then restart it, this keeps you high on Google.

beaded_dreams
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to pugmation

If you think your sales are really, really slow, do a search and check your placement in the search results. Around the 17th of December (this month) I noticed all of my listings were placing practically dead last in Best Match search results. Up to that point, sales had been ramping up quite nicely. After the 17th, sales plummeted. Seriously. They took an absolute nosedive. I called and talked to several reps at eBay last week and they all agree something's wrong. By all accounts, there's no good reason 'all' of my items should be showing up nearly dead last in search results, but they are. Some items have 20+ watchers and 50+ sales and those items are being eclipsed by sellers with fewer/no sales, fewer/no watchers, less positive feedback, and no top rated or power seller status. The reps I've spoken with said a ticket had been submitted to the technical team, but that was a week ago and I've yet to hear anything or see any difference in search placement.

I work very, very hard to offer the best possible service I can, and it's extremely discouraging and disheartening to see my entire catalog pushed to the back of the line for no apparent reason.

So, to reiterate, if your sales have taken a nosedive, check your search results placement in the off chance that has anything to do with it.

londontradingpost
Community Member

in reply to amoderngentrynyc

Do you have a blue door?

amoderngentrynyc
Community Member

in reply to toyaddict76

I'm having the same story. My business went from full throttle 6-10 sales everyday to ZERO witha sale once in a while. I have 125 great items at great prices and nothing... on questions no offer just nothing.

When I searched a $500 coat I was selling using best match it came in almost last place! Why? I can't ask eBay so I can just go spin in a corned and make NO sales ever.

kansas_gal06
Community Member

in reply to londontradingpost

I'm already seeing local stores (even big box stores) carry less selection & inventory because of internet shopping.

londontradingpost
Community Member

+1 and totally correct.  Online and eBay has changed.  Forget community, eBay (and also online retailing in general) is now all about profit and for professional sellers only the best will survive.  Savvy shoppers will shop around and dictate the future.  I see this as a good thing.  Embrace, adapt, compete, succeed.  No room for dinosaures!!

pgnaturalhealth
Community Member

Yip even slower yet .. I think its all bad business practices, google slaps .. all talked about previously.  I dont think ebay is done yet.  If youve had a chance to ck out Amazon.  Their Holiday prices are NOT low and variety is not at all great and listing in a manipulative order like always...   Plenty of competitive room for everyone.  I think the economy is not as healthy as theyd have us believe.  (who else have received amazon "give us your ideas for improvment" emails??)

Ebay tho .. does need GOOD STRONG VISIONARY LEADERSHIP which can juggle all business needs w/o screwing others !!  Thats part of basic business that was ignored the prior 6 years...  Without Good Leadership, like any other business .. your going to Fail.  So will ebay w/o good Leadership.  Im just so tired of wondering in the ebay dark wondering where the trip wire is hidden...

Community Member

in reply to kansas_gal06

From now on as i see the situation on ebay only professional sellers will sell and all junk staff no more . Shoppers become more smarter how to shop so is hard to get their money now easly unless you have enough experience to sell . What to sell when to sell or when you need to lower your price or when you need to hold on your product . Some sellers thinks by lowering their prices will let other sellers close their business and this is wrong because they giving their good product for free and they go back to buy the same item they can't find it any more . Use your common sence before you think to sell on ebay because this is not a fun place any more this is surious business .  So the smarter the buyer is , the harder for the seller to sell . Wish you all good luck . Thanks

kansas_gal06
Community Member

in reply to old_man_arthur

Completely agree, blue!  Esp loved this line:

old_man_arthur wrote:

Also the same people who complain about eGreed being all about the money, and the people who buy pallet loads of junk and are angry because the cannot earn 400% profit anymore because the Chinese folk are selling the same stuff for 99¢ with Free Shipping.

blue-vintage
Community Member

in reply to old_man_arthur

oma, good post and great 'pitch', hope you sell some guitars after Christmas

old_man_arthur
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to blue-vintage

BV-- You are quite correct about "Nothing stays the Same".
Many people remember how wonderful eBay was when it was all people selling their Personal belongings, Antiques, Hand-made items, Hot Wheels cars and Beany Babies.
But the current eBay is a Business. And the only reason it even allows "small sellers" is so that the Corporation can use that image for advertising.

Also the same people who complain about eGreed being all about the money, and the people who buy pallet loads of junk and are angry because the cannot earn 400% profit anymore because the Chinese folk are selling the same stuff for 99¢ with Free Shipping.

I do miss the Good Ol' Daze.
But I ain't even selling here like I used to.
I expect to be listing some stuff after Christmas.
"Nobody gave you a Guitar for Christmas?
Here's a chance to spend that money Grammy gave you!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 40th Anniversary Ovation Balladeer K1111;  photo 67d682d4-316d-4027-9f13-b4c5bff79d5c_zpsb6c5fd50.jpg