eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

woodeninstruments4kids
Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to lookfabfeelfab

I'd love to help  you but I can't because I am only reading the info about the Cassini search -  Read through so you can see how your listings should appear:  you have to think of the exact words a person would put into search box without any others included so you have to eliminate everything else.

Please use plain text.
lookfabfeelfab
Community Member

in reply to woodeninstruments4kids

Ok I see. So with my listing... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bridal-Wedding-Prom-Silver-Clear-Crystal-Encrusted-Diamante-Hair-Pins-Clip...

My title product currently reads as "Bridal Wedding Prom Silver Clear Crystal Encrusted Diamante Hair Pins Clips Grip" thinking about this logically most people probably don't search "Prom hair pins" or "encrusted hair pins" so maybe the title shoud read

"Bridal Wedding Silver Clear Crystal Diamante Hair Pins Clips Grip"

What about the item specifics on the listing? Does the same rules apply?

Please use plain text.
woodeninstruments4kids
Community Member

I forgot- have a look at this listing of mine that I've just updated - I know it looks really boring but this is how it's got to be - no frills - just necessary info. I sold from this listing immediately after updating it and I hadn't sold one of these for months:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-bird-house-bird-box-bird-nesting-box-detachable-roof-/161266445143?...

Please use plain text.
woodeninstruments4kids
Community Member

Oh Gosh, Ok, please read the link I posted and try to understand what is being said (it's quite complicated because ebay doesn't really know how it's going to work out themselves and that's why all these problems are coming about.) I had a look at your listing: the title must make sense as a sentence - in the new system you will be penalised if it doesn't make sense. All info must appear before imaging in the body of the listing - bunch all the important info up at the very top of the listing and make simple bullet points. Ebay actually recommends templates so you're fine there - I'm just figuring all this out in my head by reading that information about the Cassini search (best match) so you do the same :smileyhappy:  Keep everything totally simple (I know it goes against everything we're used to on ebay because we are used to stuffing loads of search terms into the title......NOW THE TRICK IS TO REALLY GUESS THE EXACT SENTENCE OUR CUSTOMERS WILL PUT INTO THE SEARCH BOX!!!!!! I'm not joking.

Good luck - As I said, it seems to be working for me so far - I've sold some items that I haven't sold for ages by updating my listings like this.

:smileyhappy: There is a glimmer of hope.

Please use plain text.
lookfabfeelfab
Community Member

How does this work if you use a listing template?

Here is one of our listings http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bridal-Wedding-Prom-Silver-Clear-Crystal-Encrusted-Diamante-Hair-Pins-Clip...

Please use plain text.
woodeninstruments4kids
Community Member

in reply to boomntraders2010

I'm hoping you are referrring to the link I posted on the new ebay Cassini search - I must tell you, by using the info in that link, I've started updating my listings and it may be coincidence, but I 've started selling on those listings which I've updated. The titles must be simple - all listing info must be in bullet point form, no other info and all text in same colour and font - add item specifics (simple ones) and invent them if they don't give you the option for the product you are selling. My sales are still at rock bottom but there's deffinately been some movement on my updated listings - Try it! We've got nothing to lose that isn't already lost!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

THANK YOU for this link!  This explains EXACTLY what is happening and how it works.  Especially the ratio of click-on to sell thrus.  We will change our stretegy but we are also changing our primary focus to work outselves away from eBay. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jcrystal2011*

My sales are actually up this past week a bit, not up to what last year's traffic was, but not that far behind.  Hopefully the gate doesn't close again, but I'm not holding my breath.  My views still aren't up that much, which makes me wonder if the theory about servers being turned on and off is true, or if there's a problem and eBay's view counters might not be working.... but I doubt it's the counters.

Please use plain text.
jcrystal2011*
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
yes i'm certainly finding same. sales seem to have fallen off edge of cliff. we are making the odd sale but days and days a go by without any. other seller members tell me sales have plummeted since ebay made best match the default search. apparently they sold lots more when default search was ending soonest. with sales at this level that makes you wonder if its worth going on.
Please use plain text.
pgnaturalhealth
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Still SLO slo SLO !!  EXcept that is for the oops on relisting fees that I was not suppose to incur .. spent time on the phone w/ebay and it was suppose to be worked out, but nope .. not a fix/credit like promised .. and I was talking to someone in the state that has the authority do make those kind of credits righ off.  Im so sick of spending so much time talking to them .. then nothing happens !!   Like GET SMART    - Im " " CLOSE !!!  - Not just saying it either, I really am considering it even if it mean canceling all my listing and not having them else where, taking the time for a few sales is a waste of time... Oh, one rep on ebay whom said they where a seller too... said that the changes theyve made arent necessarily going to be permanent.... either way if they dont change theyll die too !!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

you are 100% correct and I am behind you all the way rj
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi: I understand, The same here with me. you have my support -rj

Please use plain text.
Community Member

The same is happening in US, if not worse!

Please use plain text.
lookfabfeelfab
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Is this the same for other ebay UK sellers?

Please use plain text.
lookfabfeelfab
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Phew! we were begining to think we were alone in this situation. We are an ebay UK seller and have notcied a huge drop in sales for Sept, Oct, Nov 2014. Our amazon sales with the same product are up on last year but not on ebay. We have phoned them several times as we were worried they had blocked or limited our account somehow but they say everything is fine but clearly it is not. We were averaging £500-£750 a day but yesterday did £50 **bleep**!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to corparts
As a BIG spender on ebay and small seller let me give you my views on the situation. Problem 1 search engine on ebay sh*t. Brings up loads of items with nothing or very little to do with my specific search. Problem 2 pages and pages and pages of exactly the same stupid item by same seller taking up space and wasting my time. I just switch off. Problem 3 ask search to put items in lowest to highest but it sneaks in other higher priced items, very annoying. Problem 4 over inflated postage costs to compensate for lower selling price and very bad packing of some items. Problem 5 not posting to some parts of the UK as if we have rabies and claiming shipping is more expensive. **bleep** if you use Royal Mail or parcel force same to ALL UK. Stop using rip off couriers who often times get it delivered by Parcel Force anyway, bet you didn't know that? Problem 6 too many sellers just like other industries, I had a very good business for 17 years and went bankrupt because every Tom dick n Harry wanted a slice. Same going to happen to sellers on eBay. Problem 7 some sellers seem to ignore that average price on an item is say £20 and are selling at £30? Check your price against others and Amazon etc. Problem 8 dont ignore international sellers. My biggest purchase from ebay was a couple year old Ford F-150 pickup from USA to UK. A lot of dollars I can tell you. Have bought two cars and had to cross the sea to get them and many other big ticket items. Recently hit buy now for a motorcycle helmet from Florida. I was arranging courier to collect and deliver to UK. Seller refused??? Because they weren't comfortable sending to UK. I was taking the risk that the helmet was as described and was paying for collection. Dumb or dumber? They put it back on and didn't sell it! Problem 9 not enough info lazy sellers I shouldn't have to write to ask size length etc. Problem 10 and biggest problem ebay too big for their boots. Should be EASY to contact by phone. Both eBay n paypal hide. You have to go through hoops to get a contact phone number. Don't like their automated questions complaints doesn't allow you to explain the problem properly. Dumb call centre staff who you have to ask to speak to a supervisor to try and resolve disputes. Be with them from the start but someone else could do a better job. Hope this helps sellers.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pacoinsandmore

You do not know what you talk abouth i have friends who was making 50,000.00 + not in sales in poket money after tax and everythyng and they quit they jobs to be fulltime eBay. Some of them are now apling to Food Stamps!!!! Get real!!!!! they all top rated Power Saler.We can't blame only eBay but they are wrong in keeping tell that nothing is wrong!!! 

Please use plain text.
corparts
Community Member

in reply to patrick7180

eBay has a problem and should address it, at least tell us what is going on with sales, think about it if we don't sell they loose too. Let's get with it guys.

Please use plain text.
palacecrystal
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

This is an absolute disaster! Sales have been dreadful all year, but with Xmas approaching they have FALLEN even lower.

This really does appear to be the end of the road for Ebay. It would be good to know why?

Please use plain text.
dancing-light-studio
Community Member

Re: I am about to call ebay to see why sales are so slow 10/26/2014

in reply to johnstradingshack
I have to agree with all the posts here. Been selling since 2004 and I have never seen anything like his. Not even in 2008 when the economy tanked. I get no views and my sales have bottomed out when this used to be my biggest time of the year.
I'm not the "Painter of Light", I'm the "Painter of Dark Shadows".
Please use plain text.