eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to pugmation

Yes me too,I drive 50 miles or more to flea market,I go to the one in towns that don't have great pickens,so the dealers raid my stuff for merchandise. Always good for hundreds a day. Sold to more items today at antique mall,that's 10 this week. Ebay 2 items tonight,but again I have multiple accts. Best to buy items cheap in bulk, yard sales yield best items,thrift stores getting over priced and the workers take home good stuff!

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Now regarding the social media of course it works, but if I have to spend my energy and time doing that... What the purpose in giving a cut to eBay? I pay ebay solely for their traffic....
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
eBay is in a big financial trouble so they stop paying for Google Adwords, so the traffic stop because buyers would not think on eBay as they first choice only if they see it in google. Does this makes sense? Geico spends daily $300,000 in Google Adwords to be in the first place, so I am sure ebay with their plentiful categories they must spend much more...
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
This is what I think
Community Member

in reply to ranzerocks

Depending on what you are selling the flea market is a great place to sell at. Last year I made over $300.00 in 5 hours. I have to drive over 1 hour to get to the large flea markets. I went a few months ago as a buyer and almost everything I asked about seemed to be over eBay prices or equal.

Community Member

in reply to ranzerocks

Do what works my friend. Here is an article that reveals what many on here have speculated about..

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/27/amazon-is-the-first-place-most-online-shoppers-visit.html

Community Member

in reply to lostnfound101

All ages,1 local antique mall is next to a high school and does very well ,especially with music records and related items while the older crowd buys paintings and related antiques,The shows range from 20s-70s again music items being big sellers,sports video games at flea markets. LP records are red hot at all of them.My friend kills with coins . Most blogs agree however the market for used clothing or old character items is dying fast.

Community Member

in reply to ranzerocks

... hey Ranzer, if ya don't mind that I ask, what age groups are You seeing at the Collector Shows ...as in,  anyone within the under 40 Crowd ...

... then I gotta wonder as to the age groups with the Malls too ... I don' mean to be nosie, just askin' as to target-Market ...

Community Member

in reply to marcfl29

I've read many blogs on this subject,thousands of sellers with dying sales. I just broke all time low for 7 days with multiple id's hundreds of items listed. 33.00 in a week,2 non payers  did 20.00 on etsy with 60 items listed. Sold 7 items yeaterday in my antique mall. Closing my final ebay store friday,this place is pathetic! Back to flea market this weekend and collector shows. 

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

This thread is blowing up! A lot of people must type into Google "eBay slow".

Community Member

in reply to spectralmedia

... those keywords imo are crucial ...

... back in May is when I jumped into this thread, and I was just starting to dabble with the kw's ... if any of us remembers round about May'ish or so, a Seller from Australia had chimed in here and They were doing Guitars and other aucoustic related ... anyhow, I took a loom thru Their Store to check it out and They did a good layout ... I checked out Their kw's for each of Their Store categories, then I did a quick google for the same kw's which were mostly Mfr Brand names and bingo Their Store was absolutely right up there in the google results ...

... that was the Store that got the exposure from google, Not individual listings ... that's why I say a Store is a huge boost especially if we're small and anywheres near $20 monthly with existing fee totals ...

... and when tuning the keywords, I found it best to do an actual google for my individual items one atta time ... then once the initial google results come in, along the bottom of the page we'll usually find the list of "searches related to" and that gives us a way better idea as to what keywords and actual wording that the Buyers are using for actual searches ...

... and for Those of us without Stores that google tip applies bigtimes too, cuz occasionally  I do searches that still yield a good number of individual Ebay listings with the google results ... that's a great way to get out titles spot-on ... also when doing EBay searches here the same applies ... right after we do a search here we'll see related searches right under our search bar at the top of our search results ...

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Btw its under manage my store/store design/search engine keywords
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Ok, another tip you want... go mess with the keywords section. Its tedious, but it also helps
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Im a slick dude. That with only 122 IQ. Imagine if i were smarter. Well the test i took put me at 122 but thats at age 42 and burnt out lol
Community Member

... hey and btw Spectral - ... that's a pretty Slick idea there with the promotion ... definite Kudos there ...

Community Member

in reply to marstreasure103

marstreasure103 wrote:

OK, I apologize also. Again, this computer c##p is well over my head, I typically sell talking to people, the stuff you mention is the stuff I do not get. Again, sorry for getting us both agitated.

... okay Mars it's understood about the 'puters, I'm 56 and ole school and I sure ain't a techno-type ... but here's an easy one, Fav Seller Top Picks ..

... before doing this, consider 4) items that You'd like to push for exposure ... items that ya believe Folks will do an oooh n' aahhh over ...

... I go to my Seller page, on on the far left we see all the categories of Tools... under our Sales totals we see "manage my store" and I click there ...

... now I'm on my "Summary" page and again to the left there's more catgories, and I find "Favorite Seller Top Picks" and I click there ...

... now we're on our Top Picks page and there's a brief explanation as to how it works and what it's for ... basically any Buyers that have subscribed to us as a Top Seller will get the emails as noted in print there ... also, and in the past these same 4) picks (or items) that are shown there used to be promoted elsewhere on the Site ... that is longer mentioned in explanation, it's possible that this has changed however I rotate items there all the time, and one choice tha I stuck in there sold within 36 hours ... if nuthin' else this is worth a try ...

... now then, I go to the "item selection" and I choose "manual" for the picks ... once we set to manual we can now stoke any of our preferences in there ...  just click "change item" with any of the existing 4) items shown, and then we get bounced to a page with our entire roster of listings ...  I scroll thru my roster, and when I see an item I'd like to promte I click "add" ... then the item is added and we get forwarded back to the actual Top Picks page for the other 3) items ...

... once we have the 4th item stoked and ready and everything looks good, scroll down just a bit further and click the "apply" icon there ... this is important, and if we neglect to do this everything will go back to default ...

... also, and with the items that I choose to add, I initially go to my listings and note the total hits on the item, then I watch it over a short time to see if I gain hits afterward ... like I say, I put 4) new items in there late Sat and I got one to move this morning ... slow Yes but hey we take it ...

... at least consider to give it a try ... particularly with the Collectibles, this may be a good way to promote and change up the top picks until we find those that score more hits ...

Community Member

in reply to lostnfound101

PLEASE!!! 

More tips and advise on sprucing up your sales and less fighting over semantics.

Community Member

spectralmedia wrote:
I can generate around 15-20 views immediately after listing an item by promoting outside the site.
Ive generated as many as 30 views in about 15 minutes this way. I'll let you in on my secret even though I probably shouldn't.

Ok.

Say you just listed a pair of gap jeans.

Now, go to facebook and type in the searchbox "gap jeans". Then find the link to "pages". You should get lots of pages come up.
Then find the ones that are "community" or "for fun" (dont pick one that is a brick and mortar retail store)
Go to the pages you selected, and find where it says "say something" (not every page has this but most do)
Then bring up your listing and copy the web address, then simply paste the link to the "say something" field box. Submit it, and sit back and rake in the views that result.

You can do this for almost any item. When picking pages to post to, look for the ones with the most "likes"

I sell movies. If i list say a comedy with jim carrey, i go to pages for "jim carrey fans" and also to "comedy fans" and also to VHS FANS.

Thats already 3 different places to promote the same item.

Works every time. Shhhhhhhh

WOW Spectral Excellent advise.

I thought of x-promoting but was not sure how to do it through facebook.

I have seen some use Pintrest with their items relating to 4X4 trucks or fishing etc.

that seems to draw a ton of viewers to some of the powersellers selling these type of items.

Thanks for the TIP!!!!

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Btw i doubled if not tripled my sales this way. If i dont do that, an item would take weeks to generate 20 views
Community Member

in reply to marstreasure103

... Mars, sometimes it's best to take a small walk before posting ...

... I Apologized to Ya and then Ya come back and jamm me, and btw no I do Not work for EBay ... lol ... hilarious ...

... and fwiw I hold no hard feelings toward the cutdowns, I'm in Biz and I'm used to it ... rule number one, we don' make everyone happy ... if Ya still feel the same then fine, that's up to You ... nobody here as regulars wants to accept change, and that ain' a good thing when we compete ... fwiw ...