eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to pugmation

This post is 4 years old.i've been on for a number of years but don't use it like i use too.

I buy some items on Ebay but it appeasr there is a big trend for those buying (who use it for selling have indicatied the fees are too high).

Soem people in community forums have indicated it's the last place to vist for selling and so it's the last for purcahsing.

Fees should be capped - otherwise it might "outbid" itself and become obselete.

Someone is definetly filling their pocket with 10% gold.

Community Member

in reply to superdave*

Dear Superdave, it's been dead for me too, i feel like i'm just listing items to pay my ebay store fees, and there shipping fees.  Pretty down on the whole thing at this point.  I'm literally considering shutting down after the current inventory i have goes.  At this rate, it'll be forever, but i'd be lying about not considering shutting down and stop paying ebay there fees. Smiley Sad( SUPER SAD day when you're dead lucky if you get one package every 3-4 days, if you're really lucky.

To be wise someone has to ask Questions Smiley Happy
Community Member

in reply to mdav_ba

OK, since my post yesterday I've sold one item for $20, but the buyer hasn't paid yet and you know how that goes...So, by midnight if I don't sell anything, that will be a total of $9.99 sold in THREE DAYS, that's $3.33 a day not counting any fees or anything else...Still not a SINGLE Question or offer in the same time period with over 3800 items, just listed new stuff to see if anything happens...Saturday is usually a pretty good day relatively speaking, totally skunked so far...Astounding is all I can say...

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Jus wonderin...

It was february when they required you to have a UPC for every item of which mine are all "does not apply" because is is crafting materials sold in various quantities.

It was immediately after that when my sales personally started to tank, and I mean right away, the first week in March.

Could this in any way affect who sees my stuff?

Jus wonderin...

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Okay...I found some documentation that Google DID roll out a new algorithm in May. The drop in sales corresponds to a similar drop last year at about the same time of year. Everytime they roll out a new algorithym they have to re-index everything.... what they have decided to do the past 2 years is affecting online sales and many of us who's entire income depends on it. I am not sure if they realize the affect they are having on us or not, perhaps they do and it's their way to reward the companies that fork over the big bucks to them. I dunno, but I can't stand Google. I have dealt with them on the phone and instead of helping they do more to screw you once they determine you aren't a 'heavy hitter' in their eyes. I have learned the hard way NEVER to call them because they will make it worse on you. I swear to GOD they get a kick out of it. They are kids that work in a playground environment....

I know that 'some' of this problem can be attributed to the economy, increased shipping rates, election year, etc. BUT once again...as I have pointed out in previous posts, the stats (more importantly, the PATTERN of the stats) points the finger directly at Google. The 1st time I began experiencing this sudden drop off the cliff sales phenomenom  was in the early spring of 2014. It happened again last year at the same time, and now again this year at the same time. EACH year my sales have never completely recovered. I do know that some of this is also attributed to my stolen designs and ideas that peaked on one major day of theft April 08, 2015 by China.

Not sure if I can post links in this post but I will try...

http://marketingland.com/google-boost-mobile-friendly-ranking-factor-may-2016-169035

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/comprehensive-strategy-dealing-googles-algorithm-changes/147698/

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-rankbrain-affect-seo-2016/162153/

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/google-hummingbird/

Community Member

in reply to ranzerocks

i dont get how ebay would benefit in blanking your listing when the more you make the more they take and the happier the share holders are, my regards john.

Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Same here, even with items prices well below what they would normally sell for and using markdown manager to run those down further. I'd expect bargain hunters to at least pick up some items. Not happening.

When income is down, we can't spend either.
Community Member

in reply to r_sapience

Unless of course your id is RUST.WOOD.PAINT and everything you buy at the local goodwill sells for rediculous prices on ebay!

Community Member

in reply to cherry-picked

I think the majority of us can agree that the most drastic of the latest phenomenon began the last half of May this year and has continued. Sale literally came to a dead stop and remained that way for the remainder of May until the end of the 1st-2nd week in June. Since then there has been a trend for nearly everyone where it is feast, then famine, back to feast again. It's as if someone is literally turning a switch on and off. SINCE I am currently NOT listing on Ebay and am also experiencing the SAME EXACT issues, logic leads me elsewhere to causes other than Ebay. 

Some here are focusing on their particular niche to explain away this trend. BUT, this is happening ACROSS the board amongst for a vast majority of sellers regardless of WHAT our product is. So I disagree that it's because 'more people are shopping at thrift stores' and other such reasons. I DON'T sell thrift store/used items and yet I am being affected as well. 

My stats when viewed in graph style in GA and within my shop dashboard stats, etc. ALL look the same. It's an abnormal looking sine wave, with perfectly matched peaks and valleys occurring like clockwork. Sorry folks, but that's not a natural thing. The entire population simply hasn't decided to shop literally every 10 days or so... and everyone has NOT  collectively decided to cease shopping completely during the time in between. 

Sorry to disappoint those that are hell bent on blaming Ebay BUT I am more inclined to believe it's more likely a Google thing. Personally I think it's criminal that they have so much control over making or breaking someone's ability to sell online successfully. Google alone controls the majority of search traffic throughout the United States and probably elsewhere in the world. Years ago you moved up in search results based on how popular you became & how often people searched for your specific niche and chose you over others. NOW it's based on how much money you fork over to Google and whatever sick game they have decided to implement to screw with those that simply can't afford to compete by sinking dollars into Google ads. 

Also, in case you haven't been paying attention folks... whenever 'you' search for something, that data is then forced down your throat wherever you go after that. So If for example you checked out some pots and pans....NOW every other site you visit that doesn't even have anything to do with pots and pans is showing you an AD for those pots and pans you looked at earlier on a completely non-related website. So then a few days later, you perform a new search for the same pots and pans and what happens??? Do you get search results with NEW choices??? Nope. You get the SAME search results you got originally. 

What this means over time is that 'your' shop items will collectively get filtered completely out of your customer's search results. I think back in mid-May Google rolled out a new algorithym. Anyone who has kept up with Google  they DID say that eventually they no longer planned on announcing the changes they were making. This all began when they rolled out their 'Panda' ~ 1.5 years ago or so. I 'think' they stopped their current algorithm and then implemented a new one that 'cycles'. This would explain the initial completely DEAD cycle many of experienced the last half of May and early June. Now we are in the 'cycle' of which my stats CLEARLY illustrate. 

Once again, I realize that you unfortunately can't see these trends if you just sell on Ebay. Not sure but I don't think you can attach google analytics to an Ebay shop. BUT many of you here ALSO have independent websites where you can view the graphs. What they depict is NOT normal. 

I've been building a new site the past 2 months and routinely add new listings to Google 'fetch'. I am supposedly allowed 10 a month where I can link the listing to ALL of it's associated pages & links. Well folks, for the past 45 days Google will no longer allow me to add those!!! Keeps saying I am only allowed 10 per month, BUT ALL of July I have not been allowed to apply that function! 

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

I too have been buying and selling on Ebay since 2001 and this year my sales are at an all time low.  I think it is due to a few different factors. The first being shipping prices have gone out of control, to send a 3lb package from Michigan to California or Washington it generally costs $16 to $25 which is a big decision maker or breaker for most buyers. If you have a larger but light weight package the USPS will rip you off with what they call "dimensional shipping" or what your package should weigh!  The second problem involves the increase in popularity of Thrift shops.  When I started selling on Ebay I used to pick the thrift shops, garage sales and estate sales to sell quality vintage items to my customers. It seems in my area of the country it has become mainstream to shop in thrift shops. Figuratively speaking, for years  I used to have these stores to myself or a few others who also sold on line.  Now when I pull into a Salvation Army or Goodwill it is like pulling into Walmart.  The next issue I see is the increase in the amount of sellers, unique and vintage items are not quite as rare as they used to be, competition is very big on ebay which leads to my last insight.  Many of my Ebay customers as of lately are changing in their buying behavior and psychology.  Years ago when EBay was fairly new, and before PayPal people bought on Ebay knowing the items were generally used and relied on the seller to provide excellent descriptions fo their items. But buyers knew the items were used, vintage or showing some wear. Today my buyers are expecting garage sale prices with low ball bids and complaigning if the item isn't pristine new condition despite the most accurate descritpions.  Ebay hasn't helped much with their "buyer is ALWAYS right" philosophy and their "FREE SHIPPING" idea.  There are some bad buyers and there is no such thing as Free Shipping (somebody pays).  With the greedy USPS, increase in thrifting popularity and Ebay changing the paradigm of

pugmation wrote:
I honestly have never seen ebay so slow. The Buyers are not bidding at all. Is it just me? I think around Memorial Day it got real slow and has been slow ever since. I listed several items at .99 cents and I cant even give them away LOL What to do? Do I just wait for a while for ebay to get busier before I relist or just lower the prices to get bids? Anybody else notice a difference on sales the past couple weeks?

open market shopping - it is no wonder that selling on Ebay is becoming a failure.

Community Member

in reply to r_sapience

I'm so glad to hear from someone who is actually experiencing this. Not glad it's happening to you but at least I don't feel like I'm crazy. I long susspected that something odd was happening on the internet and I felt it wasn't just Google. I read somewhere that the Chinese had been hacking our (U.S.) business websites - that our government was aware and some sort of "war" was being waged across the internet. I wish I could find this actical, but I'm sure if you were to Google it several articals of information would pop up. It said that they were just looking and in other cases stealing - they were the "biggest" hackers into our grid.

Now I susspect that this practice in one way or another has affected small and large American business alike and that it is still going on. Stealing design and products from us. Stealing traffic, stealing sales, overloading our grid, mirroring sites and stealing business. This is real people - this is not a Syfy futuristic movie - this is now and it is real.

I think that this is an issue that our goverment needs to look into much deeper than they have been and get the best and brightest on this. I know we are in a recession, people don't have money to spend,  it's your own fault you can't sell, etc. etc. All that may be true, but a problem like this ONLY compounds the issues and problems we already have to scratch for a penny or two. Now we are losing our pennys to the Chinese 99¢ at a time.

Community Member

in reply to ranzerocks

It goes deeper than ebay manipulating search results. For the umpteenth time, it is happening on NON EBAY SITES TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Member

in reply to superdave*

Me too superdave,2 stores 4 accts,700 items made 10.00 in 2 days,did 30.00 on amazon,and 50.00 at my antique mall. ebay's worst in 20 years, I recently read a blog on internet from a former ebay insider under the title WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER OPEN AN EBAY STORE, and he explained about how ebay blacksout your listings on the search pages each day. 

Community Member

in reply to superdave*

EXACTLY!!! I am in a similar situation and I know it is not just about EBay algorithyms etc. because I haven't been listing on EBay for awhile. It's NOT because it's summer, etc. either. Those of us that have been selling online for several years and also make a living off of it know when our peak times are by now. 

I STILL think Google has something to do with it AND China as well. Because I am selling on my own site I have access to information that sellers on Ebay won't have. I can view Google Analytics and see who is visiting my site, etc. AND I STILL say there is something very, very suspicious about the bot/spyder of which location is 'boston'. I don't believe it IS Boston but actually China or something to do with Google. There are ip masking tools available so someone can appear to be from somewhere they are not. On April 8, 2014 I had nearly 1000 visits in one day supposedly from Hialeah Florida. Yeah, right... within 2-3 months that's when I began noticing a drop in sales and found my designs and ideas being sold all over Etsy, EBay, and other sites on the web. I traced it to China. i've lost a lot of business since then and it has declined quite a bit due to the fact that I am now competing against my 'own' products of which are being sold for less than it takes me to make them. My sales DID normalize though albeit much lower than in past years. THEN mid MAY it was the 'drop off the cliff' scenario that so many of you on here also have been experiencing.

Now it is the very odd feast, famine, feast, famine phenomenon. It is much too methodical and structured to be a 'normal' variance. IF sales are going to fluctuate, they will flucuate wildly. It is NOT normal to fluctuate in a structured looking pattern. 

2 Weeks ago I FINALLY located one of the factories that has been stealing my designs and contacted them. They removed them but also tried to blame it on US sellers sending them the files to reproduce them, that 'they' didn't do the stealing. LOL, I was able to take screenshots in GA that showed the item (page) they were on that clearly depicted one of the stolen items of which the location was China. I received no comments from them directly BUT Geeeezzzzz Lois.... did I get HAMMERED with Brute Force attacts from China right after I sent that info. 

Yes, I know Brute Force attacts are not uncommon especially with a wordpress site BUT I MEAN HAMMERED!!!!!!!! Like every couple minutes, over and over again for several days in a row.

Also, I drop ship for a factory of which 'they' have many of their products produced in China. Last week I found several of those products being sold on Amazon directly from the Chinese factories for LESS than what 'my' price is, and I receive truly wholesale pricing. So they are also taking out the large companies that are still left one by one. I know from speaking to my account manager over the past years that they have submitted designs to these factories that were supposed to be 'exclusives' but they have violated those agreements. 

Sure, I also DO believe the economy and the uncertainty from this being an election year has something to do with it BUT I just don't buy into that reason 100%. The feast/famine scenario is too predictive and has too much of a stuctured pattern to be 'random'. The unusual and concerning site activity is worrisome AND the excessive brute force attacts AND 'root' hacking attempts are just too high to not be related to what is happening.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to pulsar0705_1

I currently have over FOUR THOUSAND items on eBay between my 2 stores(one anchor and one basic)...My anchor with over 3800 items has sold less than $10 in the last 2 days...I've been on eBay since 2001 and NEVER seen anything even close to these awful sales...So far I'm barely making enough this week to pay for the anchor store which runs over $500 a  month...It is appalling...Yes, less than $10 in sales on my anchor store and ZERO questions or offers in TWO DAYS with over 38 HUNDRED items...Something is bad, bad wrong...

Community Member

in reply to pugmation

hi guys just a quick one late july going into august for ebay uk can take a down turn it his following pattern from prior years, i do say the amount per item has took a decline in general overall, but has for a dip in retail sector its normal due to holidays, the upcoming school holidays and customers have bought what they needed for summer pre may june.that his off my own experince by the way, i remember uttering them words same time last year i need to get a top up job until sales increase again,

Community Member

in reply to mdav_ba

mdav_ba wrote:

Thanks for your response Lost. Well I guess we can agree to disagree Smiley Happy Ebay may not be causing a huge percentage of issues IMHO but at least a bit, however much it might be. Maybe they coincidentally picked the worst time possible to do a revamp of their platform.

As an update, my sales of my small items has dropped to a total now af near 50% what it was 3 months ago. My sales went from 350 sales each month with about 600 items (all under $5.00 for the most part and as low as $2.48 w/free shipping). As of today, I have  a total of 307 items sold with the sales dollar just above 1/2 what it has been.

The Ebay/Paypal fees and postage take so much of the sale price there is very little left over. I just hope whatever is causing this gets better.

... You make a valid point with the matter of timing Mdav_Ba, and in the past I too used to remain skeptical over platform changes ... yet it seriously doesn't explain lights-on/lights-off ... and also, we have to consider comments from those that have commented regarding Sales outside of eBay ...

... yet with the changes - ... imho we really wouldn't need many changes with platforming if we as in the Public didn't need the latest greatest i-gizmo that hits the market ... imo this is the price we pay for bein' a "pop culture" ...

... I guess it might be worth a try sellin' pokemon-go tee shirts and hats, heck it's workin' Great for nintendo ... and that oughtta be tellin' us sumthin' there too, it isn't just the Kids that are totally tuned in to that one.

Community Member

in reply to pulsar0705_1

pulsar0705_1 wrote:

I think what we're seeing has something to do with the general decline in retail sales across all trading sectors.

... we're gettin' closer ...

... now, if we can consider credit card rates, along with the no-inflation that we enjoy which has been killing our Grocery Bills, we're onta sumthin' ...

... and before any of the trolls jump onto my comment 'bout c/c rates remember the Banks are now just puppets onna string held by puppeteer de' fed.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to lostnfound101

Thanks for your response Lost. Well I guess we can agree to disagree Smiley Happy Ebay may not be causing a huge percentage of issues IMHO but at least a bit, however much it might be. Maybe they coincidentally picked the worst time possible to do a revamp of their platform.

As an update, my sales of my small items has dropped to a total now af near 50% what it was 3 months ago. My sales went from 350 sales each month with about 600 items (all under $5.00 for the most part and as low as $2.48 w/free shipping). As of today, I have  a total of 307 items sold with the sales dollar just above 1/2 what it has been.

The Ebay/Paypal fees and postage take so much of the sale price there is very little left over. I just hope whatever is causing this gets better.

Community Member

in reply to mdav_ba

... Mdav_Ba - ... in All Honesty I didn't quite have You in mind with my statement ... I'd be referencing the handful that haven't offered a dang thing for those of us that take our Biz seriously ...

... but fwiw, I "did" mention that I actually had a Sales-Day yesterday that would exceed any of my expectations ... and I've correlated this along with a prior post whereas I mentioned patterns and trends with consumer spending ... with that in mind, I can-NOT possibly point my finger at any change of tune from the piano player ...

... I mean Seriously, any blame onto the platform here, just cannot possibly make logical sense outta this ... unless we wanna believe the changes are implemented one day and pulled the next.