Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY and PAYPAL Fees too high

Thinking very seriously about cancelling my account.:-(

Message 1 of 145
latest reply
144 REPLIES 144

Re: EBAY and PAYPAL Fees too high

The fees are too high, and the shipping fees are ridiculous! It seems like nothing to some but to others, it's like we are selling our stuff, to give EBay the profits. And the buyer protection is a joke ( it's nothing but a shout out to buyers to scam the sellers). I sold a item, shipped it, then uploaded the tracking information... USPS neglected to update delivery information... The buyer admitted to receiving it thru messaging. But later decided to open item no received case... eBay placed funds on hold... Disregarded the confirmation, refunded the buyer.... Case closed. So as the buyer not only did I loose my item, but I also lost the outta pocket shipping cost... This is why I don't think that the fees are fair.... eBay offer no protection to the sellers.... And if they do...I have not been made aware of!
Message 76 of 145
latest reply

It sucks, man! I'm selling an xbox one console ($375.00) and another item ($65.00) - 10% goes to ebay with another 3% to pay-pal. That means with fees alone will cost me $48.75. And to top it off they now charge shipping fees as well, it's actually even more, so I list my items as free and I have to pay out of my own pocket the shipping. It's going to cost me about $35.00 to ship both items.

---------------

$291.25

Suddenly I don't want to list my items on ebay, but would rather sell them on craigslist...for free.

-Dave

Message 77 of 145
latest reply

@finative wrote:

It sucks, man! I'm selling an xbox one console ($375.00) and another item ($65.00) - 10% goes to ebay with another 3% to pay-pal. That means with fees alone will cost me $48.75. And to top it off they now charge shipping fees as well, it's actually even more, so I list my items as free and I have to pay out of my own pocket the shipping. It's going to cost me about $35.00 to ship both items.

---------------

$291.25

Suddenly I don't want to list my items on ebay, but would rather sell them on craigslist...for free.

-Dave

This isn't your first sale on eBay. Are the fees something you weren't aware of until just the other day?
For a minute I was thinking that this was from a new seller who had been enticed to "sell your smart phone on eBay" by eBay's recent "quick, we gotta have more sellers fees" campaign.

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 78 of 145
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

finative:

Eighty six cents from every dollar to make a decent profit. Included is the cost of the item, shipping costs, and what ever else might be needed. For me it's usually packing cardboard and usually free from a local grocery store. Yeah I make a decent profit and keep my clients happy with same day shipping and quality merchandise usually better than they expect. I have been selling since 2002 and have no regrets. In fact I am very pleased with eBay/PayPal until the recent change in returns from 45 to 180 days!

The fees information is available to all sellers. Interesting when one investigates the sellers complaint in the end of the majority of time, it is the seller that caused their own fee problem!

It is your right and duty to investigate and KNOW the cost of doing business on eBay and everywhere else you choose!

“A man is not old until regrets
take the place of dreams”

— John Barrymore

Message 79 of 145
latest reply

I agree. This issue has nothing to do with seller responsibility though the point is well accepted, and understood. Some sellers will find out sooner and some later. It is just the learning curve and time it takes to get used to something which is different for everyone.

The issue is the fees. My opinion and I believe it is a good one is that anything above 10% is plain stealing. This is including the PayPal/Ebay steal-a-thon they are having. The combined fees should not be above 10% it should not even be 10% it should at the most, in my opinion, be 9% or below.

If you agree please say so and lets take control by whatever means to get the fees right. Handicapping and oppressing people is wrong, evil, stupid, malicious. People lets do something about big oppressive companies.

Message 80 of 145
latest reply

I sell on ebay maybe a few items per year.  But recently it seems like they have ridiculous fees.  I might just not have noticed it when I sold cheaper items but now I have noticed the ridiculous fees on items that I place "priced to sell".

A 13% cut on items that are already being sold below market point is a painfull loss.

Message 81 of 145
latest reply

....then the **bleep**s take 10% of the shipping fee? How can you charge someone the actual cost of shipping only to have Ebay turn around and take 10% of that?
Message 82 of 145
latest reply

Sold my item for $260 plus $12 shipping. After Ebay and Paypal fees I got $236.81 for my item. What a ripoff!!
Message 83 of 145
latest reply

@steele2racer wrote:
....then the **bleep**s take 10% of the shipping fee? How can you charge someone the actual cost of shipping only to have Ebay turn around and take 10% of that?

At least eBay calculates actual shipping before taking their fee and charges the same for all services.  The creeps at the river take their 10% out of a ridiculous flat $4.99 plus a little extra for Priority.

Message 84 of 145
latest reply

The reason for this is because people would sell an item for a stupidly low price and then jack up the shipping charges in order to game the system and pay less fees.  I think it was well within eBay's right to change the charges like this.  

Also, for what it's worth, and I know this is not a popular view around here, but if you have ever checked rates for selling on consignment at an auction house or consignment store, you'll find that eBay's rates are consistently much lower than they charge, and you get access to a much bigger audience of potential buyers. 

I'm not saying I love everything about eBay, I have plenty of complaints, but this is not one of them.  There are much bigger fish to fry if you want to talk about problems with eBay, such as why traffic is down for many of us as much as 80% or more for the same quarter this year compared to last year.  THAT is a huge issue, and much more important at the end of the day than a penny or two on the dollar per sale for shipping charges.

Message 85 of 145
latest reply

I'm not following.  I haven't sold in a long time because of the fees going up.....and with the addition of Paypal.  I remember it being around 7% or so and was climing with little changes.  I just started to forego selling since I son't steal the stuff I sell  or the such....  I just decided/curious about selling something for 37.99 with s/h fee of 6.99 and my total fees come out to about 6.65.  Now this is about 17%.  Do I really want to do that.  and this is lower than consignment stores or other sources?.  WEll, haven't been in one of those for awhile.     I guess if I got stuff for pretty much nothing, like at garage sales, who cares what I make after 15-20% is taken right back.  I now have more respect for those selling on Ebay....for I buy most/many things there after comparing with Amazon and a few other sites.

Message 86 of 145
latest reply

absolutely.  I haven't sold in years becaus ethe fees started going above 8%....especially once Paypal was bought/brought into the picture....buy a lot though...and I just set up something to sell for about 38 bucks with 7 buck shipping.....with base set up, no additions other than a set BIN.  Fees come out to about 17%.   That's 17%!   What kind of **bleep** is that?   5.00 +1.65 (paypal).  so I read, know,  and am not going through with it probably.    Fees....quite the reading for the common person.    Guess people are in a different place/fram of mind than me. 

Message 87 of 145
latest reply

absolutely.  I stopped selling years ago after it started goig over 8%.   I buy a lot.  I just thought about listing something...and bammm....about 17% (ebay/paypal fees) for a Basic auction, other than a set price.  I couldn't believe it.  Not going through with it.  I guess If I get/find something for practically nothing...then maybe.  But still what a joke.  great site still...mostly for buyer....especially since the protection thing...and no negative feedback for buyers (forgot when that changed.  much safer/cheaper to be Only a buyer on Ebay.

Message 88 of 145
latest reply

almost makes sense....Fovernment officialpolitician?.  lol.    Joke.  the more traffic and sales you make....the more money you make in one way or another....volume, volume, volume.  Despite the xtra costs that go with the increase load and popularity, protection fees...etc..  especially for a well known and established business/site already that needs no advertixing. 

Message 89 of 145
latest reply

correct, if you want to be an idiot and sell on ebay even knowing you might make 1 or 2 bucks on some item... because that's your only option then do it.  I dont' like it, I think its a joke and stopped selling years ago.  I do like to buy and feel for the sellers more so now...especially seeing about a 17% total charge for a basic listing I was curious about possibly doing today (other than setting a set price of 38 bucks and shipping at 7 bucks).  Ya, I have a choice not to do that.

Message 90 of 145
latest reply