Did you mean: 

EBAY and PAYPAL Fees too high

Thinking very seriously about cancelling my account.:-(

Message 1 of 145
latest reply
144 REPLIES 144

Re: EBAY and PAYPAL Fees too high

@1616west wrote:

I predict there will be a class-action suit against Ebay & PayPal someday..

A class-action suit because people were charged the fees that they were told they would be charged? That's hilarious.

BTW, people who actually read the user agreement know they've given up their right to sue, and have to use arbitration. But again, what's to arbitrate when it comes to fees?

Message 61 of 145
latest reply

10% of $20 is $2, not $.20.  But then add on to the price of the item, the shipping cost, the eBay and PayPal fees, and it's almost not worth your time to sell on eBay, unless you can purchase the item at a very low cost and sell it really high.  

@pantlandia wrote:

I just got an email from Ebay announcing their hike on seller fees....up to 10% final value plus shipping!!! How are we supposed to make money with these ever climbing fees?

Looking at your completed items, you don't sell much over $20.00...which means at the most, your final value fees will be an extra 20 cents. You can't absorb that?

Message 62 of 145
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quitting is easy. But finding another place to sell at 13% FVF with the following internet traffic. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!  

Globally 24th

U.S.A.     7th

13.77 page views per visitor

11:39  daily time spent on site

Message 63 of 145
latest reply

@brucewayne32us wrote:

10% of $20 is $2, not $.20.  But then add on to the price of the item, the shipping cost, the eBay and PayPal fees, and it's almost not worth your time to sell on eBay, unless you can purchase the item at a very low cost and sell it really high. 

Well, yeah, I thought that would be fairly obvious to anyone who wants to run a business.

If you're not making money on a $20 eBay sale, a reduction in eBay fees isn't going to make it worthwhile to continue.

Message 64 of 145
latest reply

I think it's kind of funny that people are still complaining about the fees.

Yes, they are high. Ebay is a business and they have figured out the best fees (for them) in order to maximize their profits. I can't say I blame them. We are all trying to maximize our profits. Why don't you sell your $100 item for $40? Someone will pay you $100 for it, but just go ahead and sell it for $40. 

There are other ways to sell, but Ebay knows they are the far and away the top of the chain for auction sites. I have tried Etsy, sold things on Craigslist, consignment shops, booths at swap meets and yard sales. Nothing can top ebay for buyer interest.

Stuff I could barely sell for $5 at any of these other venues will sell for $15 to $30 on Ebay. Even with the fees, I am making out ahead.

Message 65 of 145
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it would seem obvious but unfortunately some sellers can't see the trees for the forest.  Absolutely nothing can be taken for granted when dealing especially with new and some veteran eBay sellers. A number of seasoned sellers continue to have a 'No Return'

policy because they have not had a problem where by they lose the merchandise and the money! And they tend to scream the loudest and blame eBay when they did it to themselves by not reading/knowing policy.

Message 66 of 145
latest reply

This is so terrible. What did they do for us to deserve 10% of what we owe. This is a total robbery. Paypal too .-.

That's $100 from $1000

and then the other fees and paypal fee.

I feel bad for sellers now.....

Message 67 of 145
latest reply

They provide a well-known, highly trafficked website with millions of potential buyers around the world.  Being a top 10 retail website with a brand known to pretty much everyone entitles them to charge higher fees than other selling options.  In retail, the more buyer traffic you attract, the higher the rent merchants pay.

Having owned my own storefront and ecommerce site in the past, and dealing with set up, marketing, hiring staff, paying utilities/labor/insurance/etc., and everything else that goes along with that, the fees on eBay are quite reasonable in comparison.

Even if you only want to sell a few items here on occasion, the fees are still reasonable compared to running a yard sale or a flea market booth, both of which require your personal presence, set up, tear down, and possibly permits.  Here, you can just create a listing, answer questions, and if you get a sale, accept payment then ship.  And you can do so pretty leisurely.

Message 68 of 145
latest reply

I just want the damned 'Shipping value fees' removed.

If something costs $4.80 to ship, what god damned right

does eBay have to tax a 3rd party cost.

Message 69 of 145
latest reply

Especially if you shipped thru eBay, who then knows exactly the shipping cost. The original propaganda that this is to close the loophole of people avoiding fees by selling for a penny and charge high shipping fees does not apply here.

eBay needs to stop charge fees on shipping cost done via eBay!!!

Message 70 of 145
latest reply

none......absolutely none ! 

oh.....wait......they do it anyway.....

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 71 of 145
latest reply

You must work foe Ebay. Possibly the propaganda department. Many of us recall the original % fees that Ebay had that along with sellers launched the Company to huge success, this would never happen with the current fees.

Message 72 of 145
latest reply

Seriously?  and I remember when gas was a buck a gallon!  No one here works for eBay ~ just a group of well-read sellers who know how to navigate the in's and out's of eBay policy to get the most bang for their buck when listing and selling their widgets ~ which translates into profits!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 73 of 145
latest reply

@12kaisha wrote:

You must work foe Ebay. Possibly the propaganda department.

Oh doink...  Now you've gone and done it... the secret's out.

Every time billy spreads some propaganda, eBay lets him

ride the eBay Roller Coaster and  billy likes roller coasters.

photo 7dc0eb93.gif

Message 74 of 145
latest reply

if u look at that long enough....it starts going backwards.......

i think i'm going to frow up.......

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 75 of 145
latest reply