eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

kansas_gal06
Community Member

Re: Does Ebay or Paypal report our sales to IRS?

in reply to blazeaglory714

You're quite welcome!

That's what I'm selling on ebay, online garage sale, stuff around the house.  I started out with some little cookbooks, my kid's math flash cards from 1st grade, wheel rims from an old car - stuff like that.  

Although I quit selling heavy items like the wheel rims when ebay added fees on postage.  That sort of thing went into my first real-live garage sale I had last Nov 1st.  I've already started getting ready for a larger spring garage sale, now that I've gotten my feet wet. Times change, I used to donate everything to charity.

blazeaglory714
Community Member

in reply to kansas_gal06

Thanks! Long time ebayer here, first time poster. I know my join date says '14 but I have had older accounts going back to 2001 roughly

Anyways, THANKS!

PS Online garage sale? Sounds fun!

kansas_gal06
Community Member

in reply to blazeaglory714

Welcome to the part time seller's board, blaze!

anonymoose9 doesn't post much, so I'll answer instead - you are correct, if it's a loss, you don't pay taxes.

Also, I believe hondamedic  posted a good link a few pages back to the IRS site:
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Tax-Tips-for-Online-Auction-Sellers
Read the "online garage sale" section at the top.

blazeaglory714
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to anonymoose99

How is it income? Just because you sell something on ebay, doesnt mean it is classified as income.

Example, I pay $10 for a shirt and sell it for $5. That is a $5 loss. How is that income?

Can you link to any specific government source that says we have to report ALL sales AS income?

cmagichappen
Community Member

in reply to janies_bizz

There is a LOT of craziness, misinformation, panic, dread and confusion about the IRS and PayPal/eBay.  After a LOT of searching because I'm thinking of selling again, this is what I found:

-There is NO info on the IRS site that specifically mentions PayPal...of course not.

-Searching Google, I found a PayPal page written in 2011...

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/IRS6050W  From this page: 

"PayPal will track the payment volume of your account(s) to check whether your payment volume exceeds both of these levels in a calendar year:

•   $20,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year
  •   200 payments for goods or services in the same year

You may be asked to add your tax ID number, such as a Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN), to your existing account(s), if you don’t already have one on file.

If you cross the IRS thresholds in 2012, PayPal will send Form 1099-K to you and the IRS for the 2012 tax year in early 2013."

-Why did some of you get letters from the IRS when you didn't come near the TWO specifications listed above???  My only guess...THEY are the IRS.  https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/IRS6050W

-Doing a search today for Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 6050W at the top of the PayPal page, this is what I found:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/search/ which refers you to PayPal IRS 6050W website.

Now that I've depressed myself and most of you, let's hope we don't continue to starve!

Community Member

in reply to hondamedic
There's too many people with the same name for them to just put a social security number to a name.
billy_biggle_fan
Community Member

in reply to midgee1924

All income from eBay sales is taxable, 1099 or not.  But the IRS generally doesn't care about a few sales made a year.

There should be no reason that you are paying double taxes on items sold.  If you fill out a Schedule C, you can write off your acquisition and selling costs, and only pay taxes on your profit.  That's as it should be, since any profit is a capital gain.

eBay and PayPal do have paid lobbyists: http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/

Community Member

in reply to chippiesavalanche

typical response from a company man.

Expect a 1099 from ANY & ALL sales.

If you sell on craigslist, you can avoid this, BUT

You also risk being ripped off in buying goods (paypal & eBay offer seller protection)

and you have to deal with the local public on craigslist, unless you offer to sell outside your locality and accept money orders, cashier's checks or personal checks.

What I hate is that even though I bought and paid taxes on new stuff, when I sell it, it gets taxed again!

NOT FAIR.

Paypal & eBay should have paid lobbyists/politicians more to avoid this!!!  It used to be you would not get a 1099 unless you sold $20,000 or more. But now, expect to get one for any sales, period!

rasothavas
Community Member

in reply to printedtshirts

Dead link

komokwa
Community Member

in reply to localcheapstuff

now that you've posted on this thread the IRS is going to be looking at you very closely !

NOT   !!!  ........................................................... LOL !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
localcheapstuff
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to janies_bizz

hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to barbara8463

Good morning Barbara and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

There is no need to defend your actions here. While I'm not a tax adviser, I do recommend you review these help pages, you might be surprised to find out you're fine and dandy!

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-%26-Self-Employed/Tax-Tips-for-Online-Auction-Sellers

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Business-or-Hobby%3F-Answer-Has-Implications-for-Deductions

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Is-Your-Hobby-a-For-Profit-Endeavor%3F

Hope this helps!

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Community Member

in reply to janies_bizz

I just started selling a little bit again after several years.  I didn't report my income from ebay then and I won't report it now.  I do not have an ebay store - if I did I would expect there would be reporting requirements.  I am just an ordinary citizen selling something I already own.  I am converting an asset from a non-cash form to cash.  I am not receiving an income.  If I have a yard sale every weekend am I supposed to report that conversion of my assets to the IRS as income.  To me this is no different, except I don't have to pay fees to sell from my front yard. 

komokwa
Community Member

in reply to renegade9510

and add a deduction for tax upon monthly seller fees

cuz ther'd be a riot!

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to janies_bizz

I honestly don't see why our sales aren't being reported for us. How much do you want to bet half the sellers here are unaware of this taxation? I didn't know about it until I was browsing on here just today!! Luckily though I don't meet the said criteria for the tax.

They should be doing the work for us. Plus ebay themselves get 10% of every transaction which is ridiculous as is. To make it easier, why doesn't ebay link us to a 1099 when we begin selling and add a deduction for tax upon monthly seller fees?? Common sense you'd think? No, life is always confusing. Always has been.

Enough ranting for me :smileywink:

hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to bronx-dog

bronx-dog wrote:

However, the Chinese Government did secretly download our sales from Edward Snowden's laptop. The information was given to that country's Mega Sellers, who have been laughing their pineapple chicken balls off, ever since. 

ROFL photo rofl_zps43a5875b.gif photo smiley-laughing001.gifROFL photo rofl_zps43a5875b.gif photo smiley-laughing001.gif
BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Community Member

in reply to 123-jojomartin

123-jojomartin wrote:
I called paypal. They are the ones that send 1099 to you ONLY if you meet two requirements. Making $20,000 and receiving payments of 200 or more. It has to meet BOTH not just one

Thanks for reviving the thread as we close out 2013. The bottom line is STILL that you have to report your eBay income, WHETHER OR NOT you receive a 1099.

I still don't get the hangup about the 1099, unless people are trying to evade taxes.

bronx-dog
Community Member

in reply to janies_bizz

Does Ebay or Paypal report our sales to IRS?

The odds of any of us, Part-Time Sellers, meeting the

criteria for being reported is slim, to remote, at best.

However, the Chinese Government did secretly download

our sales from Edward Snowden's laptop. The information

was given to that country's Mega Sellers, who have been

laughing their pineapple chicken balls off, ever since. 

photo stocking-fun.gif
Community Member

in reply to janies_bizz
PayPal are the ones that send you a 1099. You have to reach BOTH of these requirements before they send you one. You have made $20,000.00 up AND you have
200 payments made to you. It has to meet BOTH requirements.
Community Member

in reply to janies_bizz
I called paypal. They are the ones that send 1099 to you ONLY if you meet two requirements. Making $20,000 and receiving payments of 200 or more. It has to meet BOTH not just one