cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use the Global shipping program .

I was just about to buy some car parts on ebay and then noticed that the seller was using the Global shipping program. Shipping is more than first class international so I declined on buying the parts. Has anyone used the shipping program ? Does it do anything other than cost the buyer more money and cure me of impulse spending ?

I don't do normal.......
Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Lyn - I think that's the point - because of the cost associated with GSP, that what the buyer would have to pay on your listings that you activated GSP for . . . a 1 lb FCI package to Vancouver would cost $9.50, using GSP its $28 . . . 

I do not use the GSP.

Message 31 of 70
latest reply

I do not use the GSP.

Ok, sorry then, I misunderstood . . .

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 32 of 70
latest reply

Guess who's the latest Part Timer to become famous?

.http://forums.ebay.com/category/General-Discussion-Boards/2004

.Congratulations!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 33 of 70
latest reply

avdiscountsupply
Enthusiast

We carry quite a few products that are attractive to non-US buyers and started using the Global Shipping Program when it first started, but have since stopped. We use free shipping as a buyer enticement for our auctions and then choose the shipping service that gets the item to the buyer within the requisite time frame for the least amount of money.

Unfortunately, the GSP only allows us to send via USPS which is generally 2 to 3 times more costly than other shipping methods. While we list International Shipments as having additional fees, because the GSP program ships within the US, the buyer's are able to instant purchase and we are stuck with an exorbitantly high shipping fee when we would have preferred to not ship International and saved the shipping fees. Yes, we could (and have) sent additional bills pointing to our disclaimer, but we would rather have the buyer know the full cost at checkout, which they get when not using GSP. 

If this gets fixed, we will certainly use it again.

Message 34 of 70
latest reply

Yes it gives the International Buying Community a much larger selection of merchandise...because more sellers are now participating.  Apparently it was pretty much a nightmare before...with the new program it is much smoother...merchandise is received quickly...and there are less problems.  WHAT everyone needs to know if there are NO REFUNDS from sellers for shipping charges...the 29.99 fee does not even go to the seller...it goes to Ebay to handle all the BS involved with international shipping and pay the third party company.  All in all it is a vast improvement!

Message 35 of 70
latest reply

Gsp is saving me money , most items I buy are under $10 , fci is about $10 and gsp is usually about $20 on these items . So I have refused to bid on  items where sellers use GSP which in turn saves me money . I amazed how many people on ebay really do not want to sell their items they list.

I don't do normal.......
Message 36 of 70
latest reply

NO! I strongly recommend against it.

I knew it was a bad idea but I tried it anyways before i started selling internationally, i thought it would make things easier so i figured there was no harm in trying it.

it did not increase my sales at all, i was not sure why until i got an offer for an Item one day, the offer was insanely low for the item, and the buyer left a message with his offer explaining that this was the best he could do with the super high shipping cost which he also posted in the message.

i sent him a message apologizing for the shipping charge, and told him i would create a new auction outside of the GSP so i could give him a better price. he agreed and i sold him the item though that listing after ending the other listing.

then I had another issue, after that fiasco i removed the GSP from all of my listings (so i thought i did) turns out i forgot to remove it from 1 listing and that listing sold.

the buyer paid right away but EBay didnt show it as payment received.

I waited a few days and STILL ebay did not see the payment! even tho PayPal saw it and sent me an email about the instant payment being received right away.

I ended up just refunding the buyer through paypal and apologizing for the mistake in the listing.

and i relisted the Item without the GSP enabled, will never use that crap again.

Message 37 of 70
latest reply

Apparently it was pretty much a nightmare before.

All in all it is a vast improvement!

Actually, it was pretty smooth and easy before and still is for those of us who avoid the program.

As it exists now, I really can't see how GPS is an improvement.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 38 of 70
latest reply

NEVER EVER NO NO

Message 39 of 70
latest reply

I have used the Global Shipping program and the shipping cost was the same as if I was shipping to a buyer in the US. I charged the same shipping and shipped it to the location address given and that was it. It could not have been easier. Hope this helps

Message 40 of 70
latest reply

I amazes me how many people will just drink the kool aid whenever offered.

Ebay's global shipping program is not for ease, convenience or safety. Its another way for Ebay to charge fees. Thats it.

For instance books are not taxable in Canada. Ship using the program though and taxes plus a heft "processing" fee is tagged on.

Also and most importantly .. they repack your shipments. Google it. Several items have been destroyed when the Ebay shipper uppacks your orignal box, decides to repack it to make it smaller and lighter. Item gets destroyed and you think Ebay takes the hit? No you lose, plus you ge tnegative feedback. Ebay takes zero responsibiity.

I have banished all sellers using the global shipping program.China has won the game by selling to the world. They get everyones money exporting goods. For whatever reason Americans dont understand exporting. Its a good thing to take in outside money. America is broke. Not selling to the world limits you to other broke Americans. Meanwhile China sells evermore because they do understand expert.

Message 41 of 70
latest reply

@nosguitar-dot-com wrote:

Ebay's global shipping program is not for ease, convenience or safety. Its another way for Ebay to charge collect fees. Thats it.

There, all fixed.

Thanks for stopping by nosguitar!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 42 of 70
latest reply

I have had enough of this GSP as well. I understand that from the seller's perspective, it looks like it's an easy option, but I think most of them don't understand that all this process does, is take their item, divert it to a main shipping depot where they almost always open and re-seal the package, then those people ship it off to the buyer and the buyer has already paid several fees for this.

The problem is that these additional charges are not necessarily going to cover duty, so they are just additional charges to the buyer.

Also, anyone who thinks that diverting a package across the US before it gets sent to Canada, doesn't cause a delay in shipping time, is dreaming.

EVERY single item I have bought with the GSP, takes longer to get to me in Canada, than ANYTHING I've bought from China! Figure that one out and oh ya, the Chinese seller ships for free, the item goes right through customs and only very rarely ever gets opened by the border services folks, (which is fine with me, btw), but it can get to me in just a few days. There is only occasionally a duty charge, but most often not. With GSP, it has no chance of not being charged. They open the package, insert a little note, letting me know they opened it, then tape it up with Ebay tape and cover over all the sender's return address etc, so I can't even figure out which Ebay item it is (If I bought several items the same from more than one seller).

If you are a US seller and you use the GSP, I get it, it looks like an easy option for you, but most of use who buy from Canada will pass over your item for one without this ridiculous program.

Mayb you're OK with that or don't care, but if you are trying to make money on Ebay, why share it with Pitney Bowes?? They are just raising your costs, delaying your shipment and causing your buyers to pass you by, all for this promise of taking the responsibility for the shipping of your item away from you.

I've not had many issue swith an item I've imported from the USA, aside frome one issue where something was broken in shipping and that was an easy resolution between the seller, the carrier and I.

I would say "please don't use GSP", but frankly, if you want to use it, go ahead, but some other person seliing their stuff without it will just get my money instead.

Look at it this way, Pitney Bowes is a big corporation that is only out to make money. They can see that this is a grerat deal for them and you will never even know that by clicking on that GSP otpion, that they are inserting themselves, a third party, into your transaction to take a piece of your profit. They may just be pricing your product out of the market.

That's the end of my rant about this, but no matter what, I'll always pass by a sale with GSP where I can.. You want my money, make it easy for me.

Message 43 of 70
latest reply

FEEBAY DUTCH **bleep**S

Message 44 of 70
latest reply

Way to go Mate !

Yer 1st post.....3 words....& one got censored !

Makin ya look like a right clacker !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 45 of 70
latest reply