cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use the Global shipping program .

I was just about to buy some car parts on ebay and then noticed that the seller was using the Global shipping program. Shipping is more than first class international so I declined on buying the parts. Has anyone used the shipping program ? Does it do anything other than cost the buyer more money and cure me of impulse spending ?

I don't do normal.......
Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

It's already cured my bid impulse on several occasions. 😉

Message 2 of 70
latest reply

I had it turned on (still do on some auction that I haven't changed yet), but I plan on modifying it on all of them . . .

As I understand it, it does several things:

1) The total fee quote the buying is shipping (priority) + brokerage + customs + duty - so ounce they pay that fee at check out, they're good to go and don't have to pay anything else to get their item in their home country

2) From a sellers perspective, they only have to get the item shipped to the US shipping depot, and then the Global Shipping program takes over.  If it get lost or broken AFTER it gets to the depot, it's on Global Shipping, not the seller.  Safety and convenience for the seller.

Personally, I plan on adding First Class International to at least Canada, and likely most of UK / Western Europe - but I'm still working on understanding all the ins and outs for that.  Of course, that's only for items under 4 pounds and 36" combined box length.  I just sold my first item to Canada this week.  Once I get that all worked out, I may add Global Shipping on top of the First Class International (assuming I can and it doesn't confuse the buyers) in the theory that if one of the other countries that participate in the program is willing to pay, I'll be will to ship.

It'll probably take me 2 months to get this all figured out and get my listing up to speed, but that's my plan.  And I plan on opening a eBay store in May 😕  My wife thinks I'm crazy . . .

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 3 of 70
latest reply

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/International-Trading/Global-Shipping-Program/5100128299?

Since opting in to the Global Shipping Program I have been bombarded with requests to remove import charges, change shipping prices, and even had a case opened through PayPal for an item lost after it made the trip to the Australian carrier.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/International-Trading/I-Love-Ebay/5100148642

I just started using Ebay's Global Shipping Program...I LOVE THIS PROGRAM. AND I LOVE THE IDEA

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/International-Trading/Global-Shipping-Program/5200138205

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 4 of 70
latest reply

There is a reason that I and most Canadians despise the Program.

Here is some Ralph Lauren bedding currently listed...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Lauren-Regent-Down-Alternative-500TC-FULL-QUEEN-Comforter-400-/1510258... 

The price is $119.00 + $42.92  Shipping + 39.63 Import Charges = $201.55

Now, here is a some Ralph Lauren bedding that I recently purchased, sent via USPS...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RALPH-LAUREN-VILLA-MARTINE-RED-TICKING-STRIPE-EURO-SHAMS-3-/251162461340#ht_...

The price is $120 + Free Shipping + No Import Charges = $120.00

It's not the shipping in the first example that ticks me off, but the seller that

I bought from offered Free Shipping and that was nice... yes, I know I paid.

What does rot my socks are the import charges in the first example, $36.93

in Import and processing fees on an item that is not applicable to Import Duties.

Do Note: It states IMPORT CHARGES... not Duties.

This is the same racket that UPS plays with Canadians... $35 to $50 to "process"

a cross border shipment....................................................... Highway Robbery. 

Message 5 of 70
latest reply

Bronx - it was because of earlier comments (I think by you) on this board that I'm starting to add First Class International and deleting or changing global shipping options - many of us south of the border simply don't know enough about the program. eBay markets it as "turn it on, it can't hurt."  Some of us will learn, but many simply won't . . .

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 6 of 70
latest reply

I do not use the Global Shipping Program.

I will not use the Global Shipping Program.

It's easy for me to take the extra 30 seconds to fill out the customs form for an international order.  Packing the item is the same as domestic, with the exception of attaching the customs forms instead of the standard label, and an extra invoice to the box.

The general consensus on the Packaging and Shipping board is that for most inexpensive, light-weight items (i.e. most of eBay), GSP is not a good idea.  The higher shipping costs, and the fact that duties are not always properly collected, will kill many international sales.

Message 7 of 70
latest reply

Bluemountainretail,,,,,,,,,

As a Canadian buyer ,I would like to say thank you . With shipping hikes in the last year ,shipping costs have become one of the biggest issues with shopping on ebay for this Canadian buyer . I will only buy from sellers offering first class international .  

As bronx-dog  pointed out using anything other than FCI is just not cost effective for Canadian buyers .

I don't do normal.......
Message 8 of 70
latest reply

Personally, I plan on adding First Class International to at least Canada, and likely most of UK / Western Europe - but I'm still working on understanding all the ins and outs for that.  Of course, that's only for items under 4 pounds and 36" combined box length.  I just sold my first item to Canada this week.  Once I get that all worked out, I may add Global Shipping on top of the First Class International (assuming I can and it doesn't confuse the buyers) in the theory that if one of the other countries that participate in the program is willing to pay, I'll be will to ship.

You can't offer GSP as an option in addition to another shipping option for a particular listing.  It's GSP or nothing, or that other shipping option and no GSP.  You can offer "that other" shipping method to countries where GSP isn't currently offered, however, but still have GSP "active" for countries to which it's available.

Are you following this?  I don't blame you if you're confused.

I concur with those who have posted who say that GSP doesn't really make any sense for items that can be sent quite easily by First Class International, although I would like to see a listing where free shipping within the U.S. is offered, GSP for countries to which it's available and First Class International for countries where it isn't to get a better idea of the cost difference.  One of the big sticking points is that it's not unusual for modestly priced items sent by First Class International to not have taxes and duties aren't collected on them even if they're subject to them.  With GSP, buyers will always be charged taxes and duties and other sundry fees, to boot.

By the way, have you seen the list of countries for which GSP is currently available?  It's currently not a terribly extensive list and a lot of western European countries are conspicuous from their absence from it and several countries on it are ones from where a typical U.S. seller isn't likely to see a lot of business, anyway.

Message 9 of 70
latest reply

I think a lot of sellers aren't aware that FCI to Canada now has tracking.  I offered FCI to a Canadian customer after the recent postal increase and was surprised to see that it now included tracking. 

So now I am no longer afraid to send packages to Canada with FCI.  Before it was on a case by case basis, and only if I felt comfortable with the buyer.  Many sellers still do not know that FCI to Canada includes tracking.  I'm not sure if this is true to other countries.

Message 10 of 70
latest reply

I think a lot of sellers aren't aware that FCI to Canada now has tracking.  I offered FCI to a Canadian customer after the recent postal increase and was surprised to see that it now included tracking. 

So now I am no longer afraid to send packages to Canada with FCI.  Before it was on a case by case basis, and only if I felt comfortable with the buyer.  Many sellers still do not know that FCI to Canada includes tracking.  I'm not sure if this is true to other countries.

Just out of curiosity, what's made you afraid of using untrackable FCI?  Your items appear to be modestly priced and not really of interest to scammers.

Message 11 of 70
latest reply

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/International-Trading/Canada-Tracking-Says/5100146987?

Refund and ask the buyer to pay again when it turns up. Or if they are co-operative and communicative, remind them they have up to 20 days to escalate the claim and suggest they wait just a little longer. Then refund before they escalete.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 12 of 70
latest reply

You can't offer GSP as an option in addition to another shipping option for a particular listing.  It's GSP or nothing, or that other shipping option and no GSP.  You can offer "that other" shipping method to countries where GSP isn't currently offered, however, but still have GSP "active" for countries to which it's available.

Are you following this?  I don't blame you if you're confused.

I was afraid of that - hadn't had the chance to follow up on it yet - I guess I won't be using GSP at all . . .

Message 13 of 70
latest reply

Just out of curiosity, what's made you afraid of using untrackable FCI?  Your items appear to be modestly priced and not really of interest to scammers.

I've had two really bad experiences, one from the US and one from Canada.  The one from the US was a scammer who left neg fb that was eventually (after 10 days and over 20 phone calls) removed on a $9.00 item. 

The person from Canada wasn't so much a scammer as a really bad PITA buyer who chose to pay for Priority International over FCI and then threatened to sue me for the $5.00 difference because the item didn't arrive in time for Christmas---even though she didn't pay until Dec. 23rd, and I told her it wouldn't arrive in time for Christmas.

Having a few bad experiences and then reading all of the other horror stories makes me nervous.  If ebay weren't so unreasonable about removing unfair feedback, and holding it against you in regards to possibly shutting down your business, I wouldn't be so overly protective.  I believe that most people are fair and honest.  Unfortunately, ebay doesn't do a very good job of protecting us against the ones who aren't.

Message 14 of 70
latest reply

Having a few bad experiences and then reading all of the other horror stories makes me nervous.  If ebay weren't so unreasonable about removing unfair feedback, and holding it against you in regards to possibly shutting down your business, I wouldn't be so overly protective.  I believe that most people are fair and honest.  Unfortunately, ebay doesn't do a very good job of protecting us against the ones who aren't.

Try to keep things in perspective.  Discussion boards like this don't generally attract a lot of "good news" stories.  The media never reported on all the days the fertilizer factory in West, TX had no accidents, just the one that it had a big one.  Most sellers shouldn't have more than a handful of their sales a year be challenging if they're doing everything right.  It just comes with the territory.  Keep in mind that brick and mortar merchants don't have any protection against PITA customers, and they generally keep going at it day after day anyway.

This site is good to read every so often as it updates regularly:

http://notalwaysright.com/

Message 15 of 70
latest reply