eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Category Limits? Good Grief!

in reply to the_spirit_of_pierre
Oh my gracious. Me too! And the worst part was they were late because I was very very sick with my pregnancy. eBay requested I give them a doctors note or hospital bill to prove it. What is this, high school??
Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

Please let me know Which kind of ''PERSONAL INFORMATION'' eBay required to lift category limit?????

hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to xxluckyf8xx

lucky - eBay does have high standards AND eBay has the most traffic of any similar site.  If you can find a way around this, and I hope you do, come back and read this board and ask questions.  There are lots of seasoned sellers that will be glad to help you figure out how to navigate those rules for a positive selling experience.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

xxluckyf8xx
Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

thanks for the positive note, really. i didnt sell for months and just started again so thats why i got kicked off fyi.  their standards are too high....and dont think for one second that i wont get around this somehow

hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to xxluckyf8xx

lucky - Yup, anything under a 4.8 in performance standards seems to be the new "you're otta here" number for eBay.  eBay does give you quite a bit of notice when your DSR's are slipping - that is the time to get serious about shipping quickly and on time and giving the best descriptions possible.  Live and learn - good luck in finding another website that has the traffic that eBay has - best to learn to play by the rules if you want sales.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!  winking fire flame photo: smile flame smiley_fire.gif

xxluckyf8xx
Community Member

that happened to me with the 90  day thing....then i woke up this morning to find myself kicked off ebay for good.  i'm "below performance standards".  6 people out of the thousands ive sold to have given me a 1 or 2 on shipping time, now i can never sell again.  screw ebay. they're thieves anyway.

pascals_outlet_us
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to 2001_odyssey

As with any place, you can complain and solve nothing...

Or, you can learn how to work the system.

Revised a listing once too often?

1.  Pull up your item in its normal sale window, right-click "Sell Similar" or "Sell it yourself" and open in a new window.

2.  Go back to old window, edit the item.

3.  Copy and paste everything from the old listing to the new one.

4.  Check and double-check everything is right because from here on out there's no turning back.

5.  On the old item, click the ebay logo so you can leave that page without saving.

6.  Go to My Ebay > Selling, find the item and delete it.

7.  Go back to the new window where you've copied everything over to the new item for sale, check everything one last time.

8.  Save and Submit.

There, there, you have just successfully "raised" your limit.

Only drawback is your stats on that item have been reset.

komokwa
Community Member

in reply to luxurybayboutique

Alert.

yet another new seller with a No Returns policy, & shipping to USA only.

I wonder if their prefences are set ?

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
luxurybayboutique
Community Member

in reply to vballing34

I've had the same problems....

Everyone needs to complain, cause I just checked out someone selling from Singapore and they have 450 items for sale. Mostly Vera Bradley Bags. Everyone needs to check this site out, cause eBay is catering to China and Singapore, well the Asian countries. And I'm not allowed to sell 10 handbags in a month. How are we suppose to get high ratings if we're limited on selling.

This article is very interesting from business week. I hope everyone passes it along, cause we Americans are being ripped off by eBay. And the Asians.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_17/b4225039040486.htm#rshare=email_article

hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to vballing34

Hi, vballing - Did you read the link that I provided above ^^?

In a nutshell, it states that you have to have a 90 day track record of selling before limits can be raised.  I have copied a portion of the link below :

Once you've been a seller for more than 90 days, confirmed your personal information, have sold multiple items in the category you want to list in, and have a proven track record of providing excellent customer service and following our rules and policies, these specific category limits will be removed. Other limits may still apply. Since these specific category limits are automatically removed, you don't need to do anything else.

Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

I just got off the phone with Ebay support about this and they are a joke. I do understand the reasoning behind the limit, it is a good protection for buyers. But even with proof of sales and 100% satisfaction rate they said they cannot remove/increase the category limit. I guess its their loss. Ill start selling elsewhere for the time being. Its not like 10% of all sales is a lot of money.

hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to perfumistacompany

Hello, Perfumista - Here is a link that explains all about category limits.  I have also read that a call to eBay CS, will sometimes get the limits raised/removed.  Good luck!

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/sellinglimits.html

Community Member

in reply to 2001_odyssey

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I've recently had the same item limit message only theres no details in my sellers dashboard as to what my limits actually are. Is there another way of determining this info?

2001_odyssey
Community Member

I agree, hidy-hoo.

I'm sure eBay's competitors are loving all these restrictions though, as it pretty much forces sellers to go to (or stay with) their competition to list the items they can't list here.

Buyer Opinion is Not Necessarily a Seller Defect.
hidy-hoo
Community Member

Odyssey -  It's called the "School of Hard Knocks" and unfortunately, most eBay sellers have attended class.  

It's just another eBay "eccentricity" that we have to learn to live with, as so many of their rules and regulations could be the poster child for "vague", and I do empathize with your situation.   

hondamedic
Community Member

I see where you're coming from.... 

But then eBay wouldn't be able to make it up as they go along!:_|

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
2001_odyssey
Community Member

hondamedic, I hope you didn't think my frustration was directed at you...

If you notice though, it says:

"In certain categories, for certain sellers, we limit the number of items that can be listed in a calendar month. These limits may apply to your account if:"

So even if I had seen that ahead of time, I wouldn't have know what my limit was, or that it actually isn't by calendar month at all.  I found that out the hard way when I tried to list something on June 1st (the next calendar month).

I hope you get where I'm coming from, they just need to be clearer is all...

hondamedic
Community Member

Thankfully, nobody came by after it was a done deal and told me that I could only live in my new house on Thursdays for the first 90 days, followed by "Didn't you read the fine print?"  :smileyhappy:

Welcome back Odyssey!

What I was trying to say is eBay does tell you in the fine print, just like buying a house or applying for a CC. http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/sellinglimits.html#category If you apply for a credit card and don't read that after charging over $1K in 30 days during the first 6 months even though they gave you a $5K limit, your next charge will be refused (It happened to me with a new AMEX card in San Antonio TX at a restraunt on the River Walk, quite embarrasing!) then it's not the CC issuers fault. As you sell mostly women's clothes it is clearly stated at the above link:

Categories with limits

Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Women's Clothing

Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Women's Handbags & Bags

Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Women's Shoes

Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Women's Accessories

Considering you joined a month and a half ago it also states you have another 1 1/2 months to go before they will be lifted if you meet all the other requirements:

Once you've been a seller for more than 90 days, confirmed your personal information, have sold multiple items in the category you want to list in, and have a proven track record of providing excellent customer service and following our rules and policies, these specific category limits will be removed. Other limits may still apply. Since these specific category limits are automatically removed, you don't need to do anything else.

Hope this helps & good luck!

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
2001_odyssey
Community Member

janewt - Thank you for the info.  In general, I wanted/want to accept returns but was mainly concerned about having to tell a buyer it was going to take 3 weeks to process a refund.  As it's turned out, they haven't held my payments for more than a few days though so it's been ok.   I just am not crazy about this 'surprise at every corner' approach they use.  I think they should have their policies more visible from the selling page.

dbgb - That helps a lot, and no I didn't know that either.  That was my main concern, even if there wasn't a 'problem', maybe a buyer just changes their mind, but if I accept returns, I accept them for any reason and it helps to know I can still refund.

Community Member

honda: Yes, that was how I knew about my 100 item/$5k limit, but it does not say anything about category limits or paypal holds.

Just to clarify one thing - if the funds are on paypal hold, you can still process a refund to the original buyer - that was one of the reasons they put the hold in place, so you can't withdraw or spend the $$ in case there's a "problem".  That way they aren't on the hook for refunding the "buyer"... they got tired of having to pay for buyer protection and transferred the risk to the sellers that they thought posed the most risk.