cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Category Limits? Good Grief!

Listed a few items today and then the dreaded red flag popped up and I was told "no more buddy". You have reached your limit for this category. After 90 days maybe we'll let you sell again. 90 days! A full quarter?!!? Are they nuts?

I read about this happening to others, so should have seen it coming. Still it stings when it happens to you. It's like being reprimanded by a hall monitor back in grammar school! And I'm an A student! I have 100% FB and dingless DSRs. I'm running my little part time business just fine, eBay. Thanks for putting the brakes on the little roll I had going.

Okay, you know what? This is actually a good thing. Really. Blocked by eBay, I spent the time listing at another site... Sure, it doesn't have the draw that eBay does. But I had four sales there this month. Factor in not having to pay the 9% eBay commission, and it's almost like selling 5 items! Slow and steady wins the race.

Thank you eBay. Thanks for showing me the door. What other company goes out of their way to push it's clients off to competitors? It's sheer madness!

Sorry, just had to vent. Off to go list somewhere else.

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Category Limits? Good Grief!

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I've recently had the same item limit message only theres no details in my sellers dashboard as to what my limits actually are. Is there another way of determining this info?

Message 31 of 58
latest reply

Hello, Perfumista - Here is a link that explains all about category limits.  I have also read that a call to eBay CS, will sometimes get the limits raised/removed.  Good luck!

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/sellinglimits.html

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 32 of 58
latest reply

I just got off the phone with Ebay support about this and they are a joke. I do understand the reasoning behind the limit, it is a good protection for buyers. But even with proof of sales and 100% satisfaction rate they said they cannot remove/increase the category limit. I guess its their loss. Ill start selling elsewhere for the time being. Its not like 10% of all sales is a lot of money.

Message 33 of 58
latest reply

Hi, vballing - Did you read the link that I provided above ^^?

In a nutshell, it states that you have to have a 90 day track record of selling before limits can be raised.  I have copied a portion of the link below :

Once you've been a seller for more than 90 days, confirmed your personal information, have sold multiple items in the category you want to list in, and have a proven track record of providing excellent customer service and following our rules and policies, these specific category limits will be removed. Other limits may still apply. Since these specific category limits are automatically removed, you don't need to do anything else.

Message 34 of 58
latest reply

I've had the same problems....

Everyone needs to complain, cause I just checked out someone selling from Singapore and they have 450 items for sale. Mostly Vera Bradley Bags. Everyone needs to check this site out, cause eBay is catering to China and Singapore, well the Asian countries. And I'm not allowed to sell 10 handbags in a month. How are we suppose to get high ratings if we're limited on selling.

This article is very interesting from business week. I hope everyone passes it along, cause we Americans are being ripped off by eBay. And the Asians.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_17/b4225039040486.htm#rshare=email_article

Message 35 of 58
latest reply

Alert.

yet another new seller with a No Returns policy, & shipping to USA only.

I wonder if their prefences are set ?

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 36 of 58
latest reply

As with any place, you can complain and solve nothing...

Or, you can learn how to work the system.

Revised a listing once too often?

1.  Pull up your item in its normal sale window, right-click "Sell Similar" or "Sell it yourself" and open in a new window.

2.  Go back to old window, edit the item.

3.  Copy and paste everything from the old listing to the new one.

4.  Check and double-check everything is right because from here on out there's no turning back.

5.  On the old item, click the ebay logo so you can leave that page without saving.

6.  Go to My Ebay > Selling, find the item and delete it.

7.  Go back to the new window where you've copied everything over to the new item for sale, check everything one last time.

8.  Save and Submit.

There, there, you have just successfully "raised" your limit.

Only drawback is your stats on that item have been reset.

Message 37 of 58
latest reply

that happened to me with the 90  day thing....then i woke up this morning to find myself kicked off ebay for good.  i'm "below performance standards".  6 people out of the thousands ive sold to have given me a 1 or 2 on shipping time, now i can never sell again.  screw ebay. they're thieves anyway.

Message 38 of 58
latest reply

lucky - Yup, anything under a 4.8 in performance standards seems to be the new "you're otta here" number for eBay.  eBay does give you quite a bit of notice when your DSR's are slipping - that is the time to get serious about shipping quickly and on time and giving the best descriptions possible.  Live and learn - good luck in finding another website that has the traffic that eBay has - best to learn to play by the rules if you want sales.

Message 39 of 58
latest reply

thanks for the positive note, really. i didnt sell for months and just started again so thats why i got kicked off fyi.  their standards are too high....and dont think for one second that i wont get around this somehow

Message 40 of 58
latest reply

lucky - eBay does have high standards AND eBay has the most traffic of any similar site.  If you can find a way around this, and I hope you do, come back and read this board and ask questions.  There are lots of seasoned sellers that will be glad to help you figure out how to navigate those rules for a positive selling experience.

Message 41 of 58
latest reply

Please let me know Which kind of ''PERSONAL INFORMATION'' eBay required to lift category limit?????

Message 42 of 58
latest reply

Oh my gracious. Me too! And the worst part was they were late because I was very very sick with my pregnancy. eBay requested I give them a doctors note or hospital bill to prove it. What is this, high school??
Message 43 of 58
latest reply

With this new account I only things in basically one catagorie, I havent even had my account for 30 days and I maxed out the limit, without having to wait 2 weeks or more how can I get them to stop the limits? Is it even possible? 

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

@le420gal wrote:

With this new account I only things in basically one catagorie, I havent even had my account for 30 days and I maxed out the limit, without having to wait 2 weeks or more how can I get them to stop the limits? Is it even possible? 

@le420gal ~ Nope ~ every seller had selling limits when they started, so just be patient.

Once you've been a seller for more than 90 days, confirmed your personal information, have sold multiple items in the category you want to list in, and have a proven track record of providing excellent customer service and following our rules and policies, these specific category limits will be removed. Other limits may still apply. Since these specific category limits are automatically removed, you don't need to do anything else.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/sellinglimits.html

Message 45 of 58
latest reply