cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Filed a FALSE Item not as described claim... What should I do?

abelandlilysmommy
Enthusiast

Hi I am a new seller and I had a buyer file an item not as described claim against me but then messaged me and said they wanted a refund because the items did not meet their expectations and then stated that the item was worn, but i listed the items as used and posted several pictures plus I described them as they were and posted that they were sold as is no returns and to ask any questions before bidding but the buyer never asked any questions. Then the buyer took nine days to file the case? This seems like she had buyers remorse to me and is misusing the system but I am new to this so maybe I misunderstood it. The reason I don't like to do returns is because its time consuming and a hassle. I don't think I should have to refund their money this is the second buyer who has done this. What should I do?? I would really appreciate any advice that would help me. Thanks

Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

I have oftentimes read the posts from other sellers but have never "spoken" up. Today, I've about reached my tolerance level.

In the past 2 years I've had 4 return requests for item "significantly not as described". All of these items were in fact just as described and I have even had ebay reps agree that they were bogus claims. However, since the buyer is always right I was forced to accept these returns. All 3 times I received my item back, the item was totally ruined.

A pair of pumps/heels (the buyer claimed they didn't fit right) were returned with white paint all over the back and sole of one shoe. A Fossil purse I sold was returned with a piece of the woven leather pulled out/destroyed which was not its condition when sent. Last but not least, I had an obvious pink Woolrich coat returned because the buyer said it was not pink. When I spoke with a rep BEFORE the case was decided, she said it IS pink! Ebay decided in the buyer's favor nonetheless, but I disputed it and did win that one.

Now there is a man claiming that a lined wool blanket coat is not "heavy" enough for his Ohio winters and ebay decided in his favor. No proof was needed on the buyer's side and that's that/case closed in buyer's favor. I spoke with a rep about this who said there's nothing I can do except shell out the money and accept the return. When I voiced my concerns regarding receiving items back in damaged condition, she said that ebay does not concern itself with that. 

I imagine that the blatant abuse of the ebay return policy would ease up considerably/drastically if ebay were to #1) honor sellers individual return policies and/or #2 have the return itself go to ebay in order to actually determine the validity of these rampant SNAD/(aka buyer's remorse) cases. 

I am also a big ebay shopper and do not file claims, respect the individual seller's policies/ nor have I ever left bad feedback even when I've received sweaters with unmentioned holes in them etc.. If I have nothing good to say I shut my mouth and buy from another seller next time.  Pretty soon there will be no more fun in shopping on the site when all there is is mass produced foreign items.

I also have a difficult/sometimes impossible time in finding my items in searches. I paid ebay $400 in fees last month/not including paypal fees/shipping costs etc. and DO pay money to list items. I would think that paying to list an item(s) would be a guarantee of visibility of said item. It should be anyway. Apparently that's just naivety on my part. 

Message 61 of 129
latest reply

Welcome to the part time sellers board, vader!

That's not right your listings don't show up! You're not alone. If you've been reading the board, you've probably seen posts about rolling blackouts. Whatever it's called, I've seen it - something i was looking at possibly to buy is not there a few minutes ago. I have to use my browser's back button to see it again, because it won't come up in ebay's search.

ebay has a CYA clause in their user agreement:

"you agree not to hold us responsible for any damages or losses ...resulting directly or indirectly from ....the duration or manner in which your listings appear in search results as set out in the Listing Conditions Section above; "

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html#6

Sorry to hear about the returns, especially when the item has clearly been worn. I would have not only reported the pumps/heels & purse people to ebay, but also the post office. That counts as mail fraud in my book.

I don't want returns on my sold items either, but I've had a return policy for several years. I think it stops (well, it used to) buyers remorse when they see "no returns" on the listing. Reading other boards, I'm seeing posts of SNAD cases increasing dramatically now that sellers have to pay return shipping on those.

Interesting that you've kept items yourself that weren't as described just because the seller had a no returns policy.  Also an interesting idea of having the returns go to ebay. I wonder how much that would make fees fo up!! And what would happen when they lost things.

I think that ebay rep gave you some bad advice. I have read posts where sellers have gotten trust & safety involved when they've received items back that were damaged (or not even in the return box). If the coat comes back damaged, report the theft (name ebay and your buyer as the theives)  to IC3, the US Postal Inspectors and the BBB (and the police....just for a hard copy report). Once you do that you can try and appeal the case and fax ebay your theft report document(s). ebay MIGHT pay you back out of their own pockets as long as they know you aren't going to be their doormat. 

Message 62 of 129
latest reply

I am a seller on ebay, you could say new given the amount of feed back I have..The thing is I have been on ebay since 2012 but I recently start taking selling oneBay seriously..I sell soccer items but I have seen high trafic of suspicious scammers trying to purchase my jersey, they usually have 0 feedbacks and have a funny username..I have been refunding quiet a lot of these purchase just to save me the headache..

Another thing, I sold a Suarez Barcelona away jersey to a buyer who claim he's from Miami, on the same day the item reach (which was a saturday) the buyer filed for a return saying I sold him a kid size shirt when the listing clearly stated it was a MEN'S SIZE LARGE Jersey...The buyer keep on asking how should he return the item because he haven't return on eBay before..I told him go My eBay go on the transaction, click more action then you click return this item..The thing is, the buyer did not do as I said, he send me some tracking number in my eBay inbox saying he already ship the item and this was on the same saturday..Telling me how he went on Google to see how they return an ebay item..

The mailman deliver the item on Monday which I did not accept because I knew my jersey wasn't in that package mailed to me..I told the mailman that he should return it..Now guest what guys, remember I told you earlier that the person who bought the soccer jersey was from Miami? Yes so being that I return the item back to the sender, I usually get updates on its location..I got a notifcation on my phone that the item was now in Tampa..So I sold my jersey to someone with a Miami address now that I return it to the buyer, the tracking was saying that it was in tampa a few days later..

What I do when someone purchase my goods is that I click the ''print label'' button then it take me to the other page where I can see the address before I go in the final step for printing the ''shipping label..''  I usually copy the address of the buer and then paste it in the google search engine so that I can see the location the item is going..I do this because google will give you an image of the area where the item is to be ship at...and if google doesn't show me an  image of the address, i will click 'maps'' on the google page above..trust me some of these shipping address look so suspicious especially when you see an image of the area..

Guys be careful on eBay..The thing the scammers be using now on ebay are as follow; ''the item was not as describe'' or ''the item was not the correct size''. I know this because I sell a lot of soccer jersey and I have had a few of these cases against me..On of the buyer even gave me a negative feedback because I was going back and forth with him..

Message 63 of 129
latest reply

I only have one question. Have you checked your seller dashboard? If not please do.

Hover on account - drop down menu - Seller dashboard

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 64 of 129
latest reply

My advice, just issue refund and pray that the buyer returns the original item. That would be the best case scenario. Then I would sell it on craigslist or Amazon. Never sell big ticketed items on ebay, only sell things that you are prepared/can afford to lose. I am leaving ebay for good once the bogus INAD case I'm currently losing sleep over is resolved. Oh btw, positive feedback was left and the buyer tried to resell the item herself but to no avail, so decided to dispute. I accepted return on the 15th, buyer says she's on vacay until 25th, probably happily using my item before returning it. What am I? a rental company???!! What a POS! I rather throw my item in the trash then to let ebay profit another cent from selling fees. Needless to say, I will continue to buy on Amazon and only sell to reputable online consignment stores for my high end items. Good luck ebay, at the rate you are going, I don't see this business lasting long. This is a sinking ship, I would sell my ebay stocks ASAP!

Message 65 of 129
latest reply

I'm confused, which carrier is your phone for? I looked at the feedback and in the title it says "Verizon" but in your reply to the feedback it says "Straighttalk." I can see how the buyer would be confused even if it says straighttalk in the description.

Message 66 of 129
latest reply

Yes, thank you.

That is because Straight Talk belongs to Verizon (or at least that's what it says on the site where I checked the phone's IMEI number to determine what carrier it had...). Of course, that is MY big mistake about mentioning Verizon at all. But I contacted the buyer before sending the phone and that buyer didn't respond - they didn't care about finding out if that's what they need... Another buyer, however, was smart and kind enough to contact me before placing order and I explained to her what I knew so she wouldn't make a mistake. Anyway, there are a lot of buyers who abuse the program obviously and that's why I've decided that eBay is not for me but only for the sellers with infinite patience...

Message 67 of 129
latest reply

Ebay is run by a group of thieves. They have jumped into bed with crimminals in foreign countries--mainly Russia--to steal money from American sellers. The scam is to order something that cost a lot to ship then claim it wasn't as described. Using the threat of having to pay for shipping to AND from the foreign country, the seller is then blackmailed into sending some of the purchase price back. If the seller refuses, Ebay sides with the buyer and robs the seller of the money in his Paypal account. There is no way for the seller to tell his side of the story--just automatically side with the buyer. This has created a paradise for hoodlums, NEVER EVER EVER sell anything to a foreign country. Especially, something with a high shipping charge. If you can afford to leave Ebay out of your life, do so.

Message 68 of 129
latest reply

I just got stung with a pair of horse riding boots. 

Message 69 of 129
latest reply

@loumarg  You didn't put measurements of the boots in your listing ~ if you are describing the boots as "slim fit" then you need to provide the calf measurements as well as the length and width ~ you also need pictures of "both" soles of boots, not just one.  

Selling on eBay is tough because eBay sees the buyer as almost always right, but if you learn how to protect yourself when listing, your chance of winning a NAD increases, and p.s., your foul language won't help your case or elicit much sympathy.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 70 of 129
latest reply

He filed the claim on the 44th day.  Paypal gave him back his money, he kept the ink cartridge, but no money was taken out of my Paypal account and no feedback received.  I sent Paypal a detailed account of the seller's emails to me and what I felt he was doing. He ended up getting both the perfect ink cartridge and his money back.  A real scammer.

Message 71 of 129
latest reply

@gardeninggirl1107 wrote:

He filed the claim on the 44th day.  Paypal gave him back his money, he kept the ink cartridge, but no money was taken out of my Paypal account and no feedback received.  I sent Paypal a detailed account of the seller's emails to me and what I felt he was doing. He ended up getting both the perfect ink cartridge and his money back.  A real scammer.

Hey, gardeninggirl ~ better late than never....laughing emo.gif Stop by and see us more often!

10/25/13 gardininggirl said:

Sorry...same thing happened to me - 2 false claims in 3 days.  I'm really new to Ebay and very disallusioned.  The latest buyer scammer just sent me a message saying that a brand new, factory-sealed ink cartridge that I sold to him over a month ago is now not as described and filed a claim.  He says it wasn't sealed and had wide tape over it - a total lie, he just wants his money back and knows there is nothing I can do...

10/25/13 taadaa said:

You say over a month...has it been 45days or more?

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 72 of 129
latest reply

Message 73 of 129
latest reply

eBay has become a nightmare for sellers to contend with. Their policies have opened the door for the scammers and rip off artists.its a free for all here where the buyer is always right and the seller is their whipping boy.

got buyers remorse? Claim your item was not as described. Bought something on eBay and now you're broke two weeks later and could use the cash back? Open An item not as described case. Bought a nice new working item off eBay to replace the broken old One you have at home? Would you like to keep it and get your money back and send your old broken item to the seller instead? Claim your item wasng as described! eBay is waiting eagerly to help you!

its bad enough eBay implements such self-destructive idiotic policies, what's worse is that they don't even have people who research the claims to see if there's any truth behind them. They just automatically side in the favor of the buyer! And why not,they are not playing with their money,they've pocketed the final value fees. It's insane and ridiculous that they're operating under the assumption that every buyer is honest. There are entire websites devoted to teaching people how to scam sellers on eBay get a full refund and keep their merchandise. 

let's say that you're a seller and you have described your item honestly and accurately, then you get somebody that decides to bid on it and later wants to get his money back for whatever reason after your stated this item was sold broken as it is all sales final for parts or restoration. That doesn't mean anything, all they have to do is go in and open an item not as described case and claim it wasn't as described. EBay won't bat an eye or take two seconds to look into it,they  will then force the refund and if the buyer decides to send the item back they soak the seller for the original sales price and shipping PLUS THE RETURN SHIPPING!  In addition eBay does NOT refund your final value fee or PayPal fees! In whose mind is this fair?

thankfully most buyers on eBay are decent,but it only takes a few crooked unethical indi

viduals pulling this on expensive items to leave a very sour taste in your mouth. How dare eBay allow and encourage this abuse. If a sellers policies state flat out there are no returns and all sales are final,that should be that. If a buyer has a legit issue they can take the seller to court where the case will be heard fairly by a judge. This isn't amazon or wal matt. Many sellers are small time folks selling 50 year old used items.

This is yet another reason to avoid PayPal like the plague. It's really sad to see what was such a great site continue to slip into the quicksand. they had a smooth functioning sites that worked very well many years ago and they've increasingly made it more complicated and more risky for sellers to use.

Message 74 of 129
latest reply

I have been dealing with the same issues and I'm getting ready to start a massive boycot against Ebay.  This has gone long enough.  Sellers have rights too!

Message 75 of 129
latest reply