cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16% TOTAL FEES. CRAZY. I AM DONE

KEPT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY WERE BILLING ME FOR SO MUCH MONEY UNTIL I TALKED TO THEM. EBAY IS FLEECING ALL OF US SELLERS EXCEPT THE BUYERS. AT 16% TO SELL AN ITEM IS CRAZY. WE NEED SOME COMPETITION FOR EBAY. COME ON RICH PEOPLE STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND OPEN UP AN AUCTION SITE. YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU. I AM DONE WITH EBAY WHEN IT COMES TO SELLING. IN THESE DIFFICULT ECONOMIC TIMES EBAY IS NOT HELPING AT ALL. JUST PLAIN PATHETIC.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Exactly, oma.

Yes, 16% fees are rediculous.

I pay very little-sometimes O for what I sell. Am still emptying out a house. Otherwise I wouldn't be selling here and I never defend ebay's fee structure or policy manifesto, that would be craziness.

One poster says the fees are 'reasonable'?

ookay?:|

I think reasonable has to be defined or at least put in some perspective.  It's reasonable if you're comparing eBay to brick and mortar stores that consign products for people, you can usually count on at least a 25% or more fee at those places, some places charge as much as 50%.  So, compared to that, it's reasonable. 

By comparison, for what it costs eBay to operate these days (making a reasonable guess at what bandwidth and such, along with payroll, and comparing it to the amount of traffic/sales eBay generates), and compared to what they used to charge for their services, eBay seems expensive. 

Either way you look at it, I doubt if anyone would call eBay's fees "cheap" anymore.

Message 16 of 62
latest reply

I don't get it you guys - Where can you sell for less?  With emphasis on the word sell?  Cheaper fees on other sites, but no traffic.  Cheaper than a consignment store where it is 40% to the house.  Cheaper than an auction house!  If you find a great site with lower fees, please let us all know and I will be the first to start a Part Time Sellers Board so we can all continue to chat:^O.

I rescued my dog and he rescued me!!
Message 17 of 62
latest reply

I am in too ibuy!

Message 18 of 62
latest reply

I realized that ebay charged different percentages for different products when I sold an old cookbook (13%).  But t was a lesson learned and I figured burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me!!! Take responsibility for your actions.  Unfortunately most people and that is me included choose to try and rush into things without taking the time to research everything completely. Its exciting to think how easy it could be to make a lot of money quick and easy!  But life isn't easy.  So I think you have to decide how you handle what gets thrown at you.  Personally I think its fun to imagine and try new things,  Its kinda like taking a new class in school.  I figure I will never stop learning.  But I try not to get too upset about it if I fail.  Its really small stuff for me because I don't have a lot invested.  And how else would I meet new and interesting people such as all of you? 😄   

Message 19 of 62
latest reply

The OP has been a member since 1999!

So I am sure that this person has read the fine print.

He may have read it in '99 but maybe not since them. 

From the opening post, "KEPT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY WERE BILLING ME FOR SO MUCH MONEY UNTIL I TALKED TO THEM".  A few minutes with the help files where they clearly lay out the fee schedule should unconfuse anyone who reads the page.

Therefore, I'll have to say no, I don't think it is the least bit presumptuous to suggest the OP read the rules before ranting about them.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 20 of 62
latest reply

2 to 6 months from now Honda will drag this thread out and guess what?  It's almost certain the OP will have listings up.....just like these folks always do.

Because once they try selling on consignment or through Bonanza or CL, they'll realize that you get what you pay for.  There is no free lunch.  And if you think ebay is expensive, try the river sometime.

ebay is no charity.  Nope, they don't give even one rats azz whether you make any money or not.  A corporation that is traded on the open market only cares about one thing: Making money for it's shareholders.  That's it.  They will squeeze both buyers and sellers for every dime they can.  So find a way to make it work or quit.   Reality isn't going to change for you, you need to change for reality.

Message 21 of 62
latest reply

I am not crazy about the fees either, especially the fees on shipping, just a sneaky way of raising fees overall.  I do think Ebay offers a pretty good product, even with its flaws.  I sell on Etsy too which I do like and the fees are much lower, however there are alot fewer buyers and they make listing difficult with no shipping calculator (such a pain!) less pictures, and no auctions.  Somethings take months to sell.  I would rather pay a little more and spend less time on my auctions and sell faster.

Message 22 of 62
latest reply

I am not crazy about the fees either, especially the fees on shipping, just a sneaky way of raising fees overall.  I do think Ebay offers a pretty good product, even with its flaws.  I sell on Etsy too which I do like and the fees are much lower, however there are alot fewer buyers and they make listing difficult with no shipping calculator (such a pain!) less pictures, and no auctions.  Somethings take months to sell.  I would rather pay a little more and spend less time on my auctions and sell faster.

Message 23 of 62
latest reply

I think Imang is saying "Pull up your big boy panties and deal with it"  LOL  But Imang said it much more eloquently! 

Message 24 of 62
latest reply

2 to 6 months from now Honda will drag this thread out and guess what?  It's almost certain the OP will have listings up.....just like these folks always do.

Oh yea... Future ZOMBIE ALERT! for sure!

Don't tell L4D...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 25 of 62
latest reply

I don't get it you guys - Where can you sell for less?  With emphasis on the word sell?  Cheaper fees on other sites, but no traffic.  Cheaper than a consignment store where it is 40% to the house.  Cheaper than an auction house!  If you find a great site with lower fees, please let us all know and I will be the first to start a Part Time Sellers Board so we can all continue to chat:^O.

Where can you sell for less?  

CraigsList, your local Newspaper, Bonanza...

eBay back in the ole daze...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 26 of 62
latest reply

Where can you sell for less?  

CraigsList, your local Newspaper, Bonanza...

eBay back in the ole daze...

Can't tell you about CraigsList...I've never used it...but I can say I'd rather be selling on my schedule and not on that of a potential customer who may or not show up, to say nothing of bartering with folks over pricing.  That's not my idea of a good time.

My local newspaper charges $20.85 for a 5 line, 1 week classified ad.  For that much. I can pay for my Basic ebay store subscription and pay for 20 BIN listings for a month.  I wouldn't even hazard a guess at the difference in traffic between ebay and what a classified ad might generate.

Alt sites can be interesting...except the don't generate sales, with the possible exception of Etsy.  BooCoo threw in the towel last December and YardSellr last week, along with 3 others.  Bonanza, in my opinion, isn't a viable option.  I listed there for over a year and a half...6 months of getting established with barely any sales, 6 months when things took off (2:1 ratio of ebay to Bonanza sales...pretty promising, I thought), and then it died...my ebay to Bonanza ratio dropped from 2:1 to 40:1.  That's right...a single sale on Bonanza for every 40 on ebay.  After 8 months of that, it wasn't worth my time.

Then, last August, Bonanza made an agreement with ebay that allowed Bonanza items to be concurrently listed on ebay...and if the seller opted in, he paid FVFs to both sites...all in an attempt to get traffic.  I don't know if this one still exists, but every other promotion Bonanza tried when I was there was a dismal failure.  Following is an AuctionBytes article from that time, detailing the program along with sellers' reactions.  Those are very telling.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2012/8/1346299253.html

The "old daze"?  I remember those.  Gasoline was 30 cents a gallon, and from what I've read, in the "older daze", Fords came in any color you wanted...so long as it was black.  The "old daze" are gone.  We are dealing in the current days with current realities, current problems, and hopefully, current solutions.

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Message 27 of 62
latest reply

Now don't dog on my bonz ,  I like that site and no I don't sell much from there but when I do I make alot more ( l list things higher on there) , plus other advantages to it is I link from craigslist over to it, so local buyer can shop thru all my listings :),  I do us Craig sometimes and for the most part the people do not try to negociate, my experience has been they paid my asking price in cash, no problems.   Locally consignment costs 60% of the price to the store, and like said above listing in the paper is over 20 bucks for one listing, auction houses here take 40%  plus charge a buyers premium to the buyers. 

Ebay for what it charges gives us the world of buyers,  I don't sell international myself too much work filling out forms and the shipping is too high,  I choose to just keep my stuff here in the USA.  The fees have gone up on ebay since I joined back in I think it was 1998,  but I can't think of a thing I buy that hasn't gone up since then.   So whining about ebay going up ,I have to wonder do you go in the grocery store and tell the cashier that bread used to cost 33 cents a loaf in back in the old days and now its just rediculous that its 2.79 cents for the same loaf.   Do I wish it cost what it did back in the beginning, sure I do but reality is nothing does, salaries have gone up , it requires more people to run ebay and keep it functioning, there are stockholders now, its not the tiny site it was back then. 

You get what you pay for, 16% if that is what it works out to be for you its a bargain,  if your trs and get the discount its less.  I think as far as a place to sell  , ebay is probably the best deal online,  yes there are cheaper but the key word is its the best place to SELL.

Message 28 of 62
latest reply

Insane fees! Been selling on eBay for 10 years, the fees just keep going higher and higher.
There used be a cap of $250 max fee, I found out the hard way when ebay billed me $550 for a $4800 sale plus pay pal fees and listing fees, came to $800!!!! How are we suppose to make money??
Message 29 of 62
latest reply

Announcement posted October 23, 2014.

Effective November 6, 2014

http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/10/sellers-update-to-maximum-final-value-fee-and-automatic-relist...

So .... My 100 items at $48 each can be charged at 10% ... but your 1 item at $4800 should be charged at 5%? (250/4800)

You should never count an eBay "discount" in your profit margin calculations when buying inventory ... it can change at any moment.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 30 of 62
latest reply